Best Ways To Start Thyroid

mgrabs

Hey All,

I know there has been good & bad experiences while taking thyroid hormone. Myself being one of them.. I was always good but once i stopped I seemed to never tolerate it again.

I believe I wasn’t able to tolerate NDT because of how much stress i was under during that time. (Ths winter) bouts of overdosing too fast on too much NDT & also not eating enough calories.

I also believe my adrenals weren’t so great. (High cortisol for so long to where im low cortisol now!) So i think it was a perfect storm introducing NDT during that time. Fast forward to now im wondering if im ready to try again?

What approach should one make sure they do while starting up NDT again? Either through diet or nutrition.

Low & slow like 1/4 grain?

How do you know when to increase or when not to?

Do i take dhea & preg with it?

Im looking to go back on because I feel like my adrenals are still taking a hit from sluggish thyroid. & id like to balance my hormones out to get through this blah state.

My diet is great, exercise etc.. along with sleep but nothing compared to how i felt with taking NDT with preg & dhea daily.

Any thoughts & experiences would be great.

I do bloods this Thursday. Ill have results back within 2 weeks to show everyone here.

peter88

I think a good vitamin d level is important to utilize T3 properly. With that being said, I still haven’t recovered since I used tyromix for 1 month.

OP
M

mgrabs

I think a good vitamin d level is important to utilize T3 properly. With that being said, I still haven’t recovered since I used tyromix for 1 month.
Interesting. Ill get my D checked on this test. But i work construction im in the sun daily!

peter88

Interesting. Ill get my D checked on this test. But i work construction im in the sun daily!
There was some studies posted a while back that Hispanic farm workers tested deficient in vitamin d even though they were outdoors all day long.

OP
M

mgrabs

There was some studies posted a while back that Hispanic farm workers tested deficient in vitamin d even though they were outdoors all day long.
Wow. Whats a good range to be at? 90?

Phaedrus

Peat talked several times about how he stopped taking NDT since Armour changed their formula in 1990, and he had never found a good alternative. I think the issue is it’s difficult with NDT to ensure consistency across products or even the same product. I think it’s more likely you could get varying doses of T3/T4 than with synthetic thyroid.

Ray stated that he has since only used Cytomel and Cynoplus. I do the same, as NDT never did the trick for me.

I would caution that you need to start small, 1-3mcg. Don’t start with much more, and only work your way up slowly as T4 has a half life of up to a week, so its effects are more cumulative. Also, take it during or after a high carb meal to minimize the likelihood of an adrenaline response. And I will second what others have suggested - ensuring your nutrition and overall calories are adequate will go a long way in preventing other negative reactions (e.g. nutritional deficiencies).

As always, track your pulse and temperature per Broda Barnes recommendations to guide your dosage.

FitnessMike

are you taking tyromix with meals? if so, does it raise your total and ft4?

LazloC

Peat talked several times about how he stopped taking NDT since Armour changed their formula in 1990, and he had never found a good alternative. I think the issue is it’s difficult with NDT to ensure consistency across products or even the same product. I think it’s more likely you could get varying doses of T3/T4 than with synthetic thyroid.

Ray stated that he has since only used Cytomel and Cynoplus. I do the same, as NDT never did the trick for me.

I would caution that you need to start small, 1-3mcg. Don’t start with much more, and only work your way up slowly as T4 has a half life of up to a week, so its effects are more cumulative. Also, take it during or after a high carb meal to minimize the likelihood of an adrenaline response. And I will second what others have suggested - ensuring your nutrition and overall calories are adequate will go a long way in preventing other negative reactions (e.g. nutritional deficiencies).

As always, track your pulse and temperature per Broda Barnes recommendations to guide your dosage.
So would you take Cytomel in 1-3 mcg portions 2-3 times a day? Is this compounded in this small of dose or how do you do it this way? Thanks!

Phaedrus

So would you take Cytomel in 1-3 mcg portions 2-3 times a day? Is this compounded in this small of dose or how do you do it this way? Thanks!
The smaller doses spread out better mimic the amount of T3 the human body would naturally produce, and it also makes sense doing it this way due to fact that it’s half life is only a few hours (versus T4 which has a much longer half life). I’m not surgical about using a pill cutter and scale to get exact amounts. I bisect a cynomel tablet, then bisect each half so that each of the four pieces are roughly 6mcg. Then I’ll nibble off those pieces, roughly half or sometimes a bit more or less depending how I’m feeling.

LazloC

The smaller doses spread out better mimic the amount of T3 the human body would naturally produce, and it also makes sense doing it this way due to fact that it’s half life is only a few hours (versus T4 which has a much longer half life). I’m not surgical about using a pill cutter and scale to get exact amounts. I bisect a cynomel tablet, then bisect each half so that each of the four pieces are roughly 6mcg. Then I’ll nibble off those pieces, roughly half or sometimes a bit more or less depending how I’m feeling.
That’s helpful thanks. When I have tried to split my NDT it just broke into pieces 🤦‍♀️

Phaedrus

That’s helpful thanks. When I have tried to split my NDT it just broke into pieces 🤦‍♀️
Yeah NDT would be tricky unless you have Idealabs’ liquid NDT, TyroMax, which is sold in a dropper.

loess

This pill crusher works really well to pulverize the Cynomel/Cynoplus tablets, and then you can weigh out your dose on a milligram scale. It has a little storage compartment in the lid too which comes in handy.

Apex-Carex Healthcare Pill Pulverizer

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals