Coming off DHEA

mgrabs

28 yr old male

I have been supplementing 50mg DHEA & 100mg Preg every morning for about 2.5 months. I was going through a lot of adrenal thyroid problems in the winter. Heavy stress. And this is how my doc dosed me, on top of 1.5 grains of thyroid.

My dhea levels are very high around 550 and the range max is 520.

I want my cortisol to stay balanced and doesnt dhea actually lower morning cortisol? Or raise it? Cause i feel great all morning until mid day! I get a lull of energy and mental fatigue brain fog

Im wondering should i stop DHEA & stick with preg? I dont want to lose hair at this dose. With DHT issues. Or should i just lower the dose?

Any downsides stopping dhea? Will i recover? Will preg just help raise dhea?

Someone people help

haidut

Forum Supporter
28 yr old male

I have been supplementing 50mg DHEA & 100mg Preg every morning for about 2.5 months. I was going through a lot of adrenal thyroid problems in the winter. Heavy stress. And this is how my doc dosed me, on top of 1.5 grains of thyroid.

My dhea levels are very high around 550 and the range max is 520.

I want my cortisol to stay balanced and doesnt dhea actually lower morning cortisol? Or raise it? Cause i feel great all morning until mid day! I get a lull of energy and mental fatigue brain fog

Im wondering should i stop DHEA & stick with preg? I dont want to lose hair at this dose. With DHT issues. Or should i just lower the dose?

Any downsides stopping dhea? Will i recover? Will preg just help raise dhea?

Someone people help

Did the doctor measure estrogen levels before/after DHEA? What about androgen levels? The primary risks with such higher DHEA doses is elevation of estrogen, especially estrone and estrone sulfate.
DHEA does not cause suppression unless it raises estrogen (and the latter is suppressive), but the pregnenolone should counter a lot of that risk, and/or stopping/lowering the DHEA should also allow for recovery.

OP
M

mgrabs

Did the doctor measure estrogen levels before/after DHEA? What about androgen levels? The primary risks with such higher DHEA doses is elevation of estrogen, especially estrone and estrone sulfate.
DHEA does not cause suppression unless it raises estrogen (and the latter is suppressive), but the pregnenolone should counter a lot of that risk, and/or stopping/lowering the DHEA should also allow for recovery.
Attached is a screenshot of my bloods. Youll see the number on the left is recent. Number on the right is prior to dosing. Do i need to have this high of dhea? I really don’t want to run into hair loss issues and cortisol problems. I feel myself balancing out but I’m kind of getting in my head.

So my thought was what if i come off or drop the dose? Would i even notice not dosing DHEA since i take 100mg pregnenolone?

Attachments

• 9184FEC5-4603-4D68-9DE1-3AC2653FBE8F.jpeg
    9184FEC5-4603-4D68-9DE1-3AC2653FBE8F.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 85

haidut

Forum Supporter
Attached is a screenshot of my bloods. Youll see the number on the left is recent. Number on the right is prior to dosing. Do i need to have this high of dhea? I really don’t want to run into hair loss issues and cortisol problems. I feel myself balancing out but I’m kind of getting in my head.

So my thought was what if i come off or drop the dose? Would i even notice not dosing DHEA since i take 100mg pregnenolone?
The estradiol is in range, which is surprising at this high dose of DHEA. However, SHBG is at the top of the normal range, and rose after DHEA supplementation. High(er) SHBG usually indicates higher estrogen signalling. So, considering your DHEA-S is now above range and you are also taking pregnenolone, dropping the DHEA dose to 10mg daily is probably going to be enough to keep DHEA in range and lower risks of higher estrogen levels/signalling. At least that's what I'd ask the doctor about.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Oh, and I would also ask the doctor to check prolactin and estrone on the next test, in addition to the tests he usually does (as in that screenshot). It can give better information on estrogen dominance than only the current tests.

OP
M

mgrabs

The estradiol is in range, which is surprising at this high dose of DHEA. However, SHBG is at the top of the normal range, and rose after DHEA supplementation. High(er) SHBG usually indicates higher estrogen signalling. So, considering your DHEA-S is now above range and you are also taking pregnenolone, dropping the DHEA dose to 10mg daily is probably going to be enough to keep DHEA in range and lower risks of higher estrogen levels/signalling. At least that's what I'd ask the doctor about.
Great. Ill also ask my doc soon when i do my next test to add those other ones in.

Do you think I would notice a difference dropping my dose that significantly? Because i would like to so I wouldn’t have such unrealistic high number. And also not run into any bad side effects

Im trying to learn more about why im even on dhea. I understand my Levels were low but my thyroid was struggling a bit.

My doctor mentioned my adrenals need to be addressed more than thyroid. Or else my thyroid dose wont work. What is dhea direct effect on cortisol? Ive read it balances and helps lower it but wouldn’t i want high morning cortisol? Wouldn’t pregnenolone help balance everything out?

OP
M

mgrabs

Oh, and I would also ask the doctor to check prolactin and estrone on the next test, in addition to the tests he usually does (as in that screenshot). It can give better information on estrogen dominance than only the current tests.
Great. Ill also ask my doc soon when i do my next test to add those other ones in.

Do you think I would notice a difference dropping my dose that significantly? Because i would like to so I wouldn’t have such unrealistic high number. And also not run into any bad side effects

Im trying to learn more about why im even on dhea. I understand my Levels were low but my thyroid was struggling a bit.

My doctor mentioned my adrenals need to be addressed more than thyroid. Or else my thyroid dose wont work. What is dhea direct effect on cortisol? Ive read it balances and helps lower it but wouldn’t i want high morning cortisol? Wouldn’t pregnenolone help balance everything out?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Can't comment on what you would notice. You should ask the doctor. All I can say is that 50mg DHEA is prob not safe to use in the long run and now that your DHEA-S levels have been elevated, it would prob be a good idea to drop the DHEA intake back to physiological doses (<15mg daily), especially considering you are also taking pregnenolone.

OP
M

mgrabs

Can't comment on what you would notice. You should ask the doctor. All I can say is that 50mg DHEA is prob not safe to use in the long run and now that your DHEA-S levels have been elevated, it would prob be a good idea to drop the DHEA intake back to physiological doses (<15mg daily), especially considering you are also taking pregnenolone.
im going to lower my dose of DHEA from 50 to 10 tomorrow morning. however, should i consider dropping my preg dose which is 100mg? or just leave the preg alone. is there a ratio to follow on using pregnenolone? hard to ask my doc because he just pushes high doses all the time. i think because he wants immediate results from patients during the first 3 months lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals