Cyproheptadine If You Have Adrenal Fatigue?

yoshiesque

Given that my cortisol is super low on 24 hour saliva test and DHEA is high, I am wondering if its a good idea to take Cyproheptadine?

Doesnt cypro suppress cortisol, there by making it harder to get a morning cortisol spike?

I am going to be getting a blood and 24 hour urine cortisol too, to make sure its confirmed that it is adrenal fatigue. But, i definitely do have practically all of the symptoms listed on many of the adrenal fatigue websites.

DaveFoster

Yes, cyproheptadine does suppress cortisol. Intuitively, I'd think that low cortisol is a great marker for physiological health, so long as your parasympathetic nervous system can supply enough energy for the brain, organs, and muscles. Cyproheptadine will allow you to eat more, which will lead to greater nutrient and calorie consumption.

I'd say to try caffeine, but what does your diet look like?

answersfound

There's no such thing as adrenal fatigue it's a made up Internet illness

OP
Y

yoshiesque

cortisol is supposed to be high in the morning in healthy individuals. of course, constantly elevated cortisol throughout the day is bad.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

answersfound said:
post 108291 There's no such thing as adrenal fatigue it's a made up Internet illness

Maybe, but there are plenty of cases where people have had the specific set of symptoms, and following some of the standard protocols of adrenal fatigue treatment, have fully recovered.

The treatment does not include cortisol, but various supplements, herbs and sometimes DHEA/Pregnenolene.

As long as it works, im open to trying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

docall18

answersfound said:
post 108291 There's no such thing as adrenal fatigue it's a made up Internet illness

Well according to Ray Peat there isnt and he is usually right. However there are many people, who like me, have low cholesterol, dhea, pregnenolone and progesterone and normal to low cortisol. Adding thyroid and improving nutrition does no good, So for what ever reason the adrenal steroids are low and taking things to reduce them further makes you feel worse.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

docall18 said:
post 108389
answersfound said:

Well according to Ray Peat there isnt and he is usually right. However there are many people, who like me, have low cholesterol, dhea, pregnenolone and progesterone and normal to low cortisol. Adding thyroid and improving nutrition does no good, So for what ever reason the adrenal steroids are low and taking things to reduce them further makes you feel worse.

Exactly. And I am continuously finding more cases of this. And im also starting to find that the RP diet is not gonna work for me at this point, so I need to make adjustments. For example, a higher protein meal in the morning seems to actually help me.

I feel like RP diet is the ultimate goal, but if you have health issues, you probably need to do a different diet to address the health issues first (if it requires a specific diet that is).

answersfound

yoshiesque said:
post 108392
docall18 said:
post 108389
answersfound said:

Exactly. And I am continuously finding more cases of this. And im also starting to find that the RP diet is not gonna work for me at this point, so I need to make adjustments. For example, a higher protein meal in the morning seems to actually help me.

I feel like RP diet is the ultimate goal, but if you have health issues, you probably need to do a different diet to address the health issues first (if it requires a specific diet that is).

It's probably just a clogged up fatty liver. Look at haiduts posts on caffeine

Smee

I realize this post is quite old but if you (or anyone else reading this) has come up with a plan (or modifications to peat diet) to address this, I would be very interested in learning about it.