Starting thyroid to heal adrenals

mgrabs

I’ve been dealing with weak adrenals for a while now. I feel like my body is craving thyroid but everytime I try it its harsh on me because of my
Cortisol & stress state. I get shaky and anxiety etc

ray peat suggests thyroid in order to heal the adrenals.

Should i just bite the bullet of uncomfortable symtoms? Does it take weeks to get through harsh symtoms? Or its not normal to feel bad

My waking temps are always around 96. I have cruddy sleep.

Diet is fine. Just need to be more resilient to stress somehow. Which is why i figured thyroid

I’ve been dealing with weak adrenals for a while now. I feel like my body is craving thyroid but everytime I try it its harsh on me because of my

Should i just bite the bullet of uncomfortable symtoms? Does it take weeks to get through harsh symtoms? Or its not normal to feel bad

Diet is fine. Just need to be more resilient to stress somehow. Which is why i figured thyroid
I say no. Try Progest-E instead and fix your sleep…

OP
M

mgrabs

I say no. Try Progest-E instead and fix your sleep…

What is that versus pregnenolone? Preg makes me feel funky. Its like I cant handle any stims right now. When im idle my internal body feels like its vibrating.

I never had this when i was on thyroid back in the day.

Im wondering if too low of a thyroid dose starting out is worse than starting with a heavier dose. Not sure but correct me if im wrong here

What is that versus pregnenolone? Preg makes me feel funky. Its like I cant handle any stims right now. When im idle my internal body feels like its vibrating.

I never had this when i was on thyroid back in the day.

Im wondering if too low of a thyroid dose starting out is worse than starting with a heavier dose. Not sure but correct me if im wrong here
I have not taken Pregnenolone orally to know, but @charlie said it made his hair fall out. Progest-E is calming, protective against cortisol and estrogen and is helpful for sleep. I have never taken thyroid either, because I heard too many ways it’s gone horribly wrong if you don’t need, or maybe because of the source, I can’t say.

Jennifer

Have you tried taking your thyroid after your meal to slow absorption and supplementing magnesium? Also, have you tried taking only physiologically appropriate doses, i.e., no more than 4 mcg of T3 per hour?

OP
M

mgrabs

Have you tried taking your thyroid after your meal to slow absorption and supplementing magnesium? Also, have you tried taking only physiologically appropriate doses, i.e., no more than 4 mcg of T3 per hour?
I have not. Most of my doctors i went to (3 of them) all start with either a half a grain or full grain in the morning and thats all.

Jennifer

I have not. Most of my doctors i went to (3 of them) all start with either a half a grain or full grain in the morning and thats all.

Ah, okay. Then maybe try splitting your dose up and see if that helps? Also, Ray recommended magnesium to help with the initial adrenaline response—shaking, anxiety, heart palpitations/racing etc.—some experience when starting thyroid supplementation. Another thing to keep an eye on is your cholesterol level. If it drops too low, it can trigger stress hormones. I try to keep my level from falling below 160.

OP
M

mgrabs

Ah, okay. Then maybe try splitting your dose up and see if that helps? Also, Ray recommended magnesium to help with the initial adrenaline response—shaking, anxiety, heart palpitations/racing etc.—some experience when starting thyroid supplementation. Another thing to keep an eye on is your cholesterol level. If it drops too low, it can trigger stress hormones. I try to keep my level from falling below 160.
Is a grain (60mg) okay to start with?
Its 38 T4 & 9 T3

I can either do synthetic form or NP thyroid which is DESSICATED. Not sure which is better

Jennifer

Is a grain (60mg) okay to start with?
Its 38 T4 & 9 T3

I can either do synthetic form or NP thyroid which is DESSICATED. Not sure which is better

Were you experiencing adrenaline symptoms on that dose? If not, you could try it and if you find it’s too much, maybe split the dose in half and take half a grain after breakfast and half a grain after lunch or supper?

I just switched from NDT to a synthetic (TyroMix) with a 2:1 ratio of T4:T3 and I’m finding it more potent and better tolerated than NDT and its 4:1 ratio, which from my understanding needs to be digested first to access thyroid hormones as they are attached to thyroglobulin. I was on NDT for over 3 years so I’m not sure if this helped with me tolerating the synthetic without experiencing a stress response, but it has been nothing but positives for me and one of the best decisions I have made recently.

OP
M

mgrabs

Were you experiencing adrenaline symptoms on that dose? If not, you could try it and if you find it’s too much, maybe split the dose in half and take half a grain after breakfast and half a grain after lunch or supper?

I just switched from NDT to a synthetic (TyroMix) with a 2:1 ratio of T4:T3 and I’m finding it more potent and better tolerated than NDT and its 4:1 ratio, which from my understanding needs to be digested first to access thyroid hormones as they are attached to thyroglobulin. I was on NDT for over 3 years so I’m not sure if this helped with me tolerating the synthetic without experiencing a stress response, but it has been nothing but positives for me and one of the best decisions I have made recently.
Hmm makes sense. Whats the reasoning got you to be on thyroid medication? Also whats your 2:1 dose you found helpful on the synthetic route? I always figured NDT was best because it contained T1-T2-T3 & T4?

Jennifer

Hmm makes sense. Whats the reasoning got you to be on thyroid medication? Also whats your 2:1 dose you found helpful on the synthetic route? I always figured NDT was best because it contained T1-T2-T3 & T4?

The main things were low temps, a low pulse rate, amenorrhea, gallbladder disease, an inability to keep weight on, adrenaline attacks resulting in daily convulsions and syncope episodes, and advanced osteoporosis resulting in my spine collapsing (12 vertebral fractures, 8 of which compressed) in my late 20s. My current dose is 57 mcg of T4 and 27 mcg of T3. My dose on NDT was 114 mcg of T4 and 27 mcg of T3. Ray said this about T2, T1 and calcitonin:

Question: Lack of hormones like calcitonin, T2 etc. in synthetic T4/T3 combo a problem?

Ray: The old Armour thyroid, made from beef and pork glands before 1990, did contain other components that were probably valuable, but when T3 is absorbed by mitochondria it's immediately changed into T2, so the synthetic T3's effects can't be distinguished from those of a mixture of T3 and T2. The company that now makes Armour thyroid started removing the calcitonin in the 1990s, to sell as a separate product.”

OP
M

mgrabs

The main things were low temps, a low pulse rate, amenorrhea, gallbladder disease, an inability to keep weight on, adrenaline attacks resulting in daily convulsions and syncope episodes, and advanced osteoporosis resulting in my spine collapsing (12 vertebral fractures, 8 of which compressed) in my late 20s. My current dose is 57 mcg of T4 and 27 mcg of T3. My dose on NDT was 114 mcg of T4 and 27 mcg of T3. Ray said this about T2, T1 and calcitonin:

Question: Lack of hormones like calcitonin, T2 etc. in synthetic T4/T3 combo a problem?

Ray: The old Armour thyroid, made from beef and pork glands before 1990, did contain other components that were probably valuable, but when T3 is absorbed by mitochondria it's immediately changed into T2, so the synthetic T3's effects can't be distinguished from those of a mixture of T3 and T2. The company that now makes Armour thyroid started removing the calcitonin in the 1990s, to sell as a separate product.”

Thats very interesting. Even with NP thyroid which is supposedly the cleanest & most potent NDT on the market?

So would you prefer levothyroxine + liothyronine over NDT?

I know my doctor only has that form of compounding

Jennifer

Thats very interesting. Even with NP thyroid which is supposedly the cleanest & most potent NDT on the market?

So would you prefer levothyroxine + liothyronine over NDT?

I know my doctor only has that form of compounding

I was on WP Thyroid, which is made for those with allergies so even cleaner than NP Thyroid, and it got recalled for sub potency around the same time Nature-Throid and NP Thyroid were recalled for sub potency and this isn’t something new for NDTs so I understand why Ray recommended synthetic thyroid. Its potency is far more consistent. Going by my experience, I prefer levothyroxine + liothyronine, yes. I’ve been talking with @Vileplume in another thread and he does better with synthetic thyroid, too.

OP
M

mgrabs

I was on WP Thyroid, which is made for those with allergies so even cleaner than NP Thyroid, and it got recalled for sub potency around the same time Nature-Throid and NP Thyroid were recalled for sub potency and this isn’t something new for NDTs so I understand why Ray recommended synthetic thyroid. Its potency is far more consistent. Going by my experience, I prefer levothyroxine + liothyronine, yes. I’ve been talking with @Vileplume in another thread and he does better with synthetic thyroid, too.

Do you take your dose just once in the a.m?

Jennifer

Do you take your dose just once in the a.m?

I’m currently dosing 1 drop (6 mcg T4 and 3 mcg T3) every hour until the evening.

danjodingo

Have you done any cortisol testing? If you can confirm it's low, then consider CT3M (circadian T3 method).

OP
M

mgrabs

I’m currently dosing 1 drop (6 mcg T4 and 3 mcg T3) every hour until the evening.
What do you think may be the cause of shakiness? Hands fingers seem to shake/twitch. But im no Wheres near “ hot” or sweating or even have fast heart rate which hyper symptoms bring. I cant tell what this is. Shaky nervous and anxious. :( while starting this t3/t4 medication. Ugh. My middle finger is now twitching the past 2 days

aniciete

What do you think may be the cause of shakiness? Hands fingers seem to shake/twitch. But im no Wheres near “ hot” or sweating or even have fast heart rate which hyper symptoms bring. I cant tell what this is. Shaky nervous and anxious. :( while starting this t3/t4 medication. Ugh. My middle finger is now twitching the past 2 days
Sounds like a magnesium/potassium/sodium issue

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals