Progesterone adverse effects

Has anyone had heart pounding possible adrenaline effects after taking progesterone? I’ve only taken 1 drop in the early evening and about 4-5 hours later had horrible heart pounding adrenaline and couldn’t sleep. I’ve taken it before and didn’t have this same effect. However I’ve tried thyroid a few months ago for about 2 weeks and it took about a month 1.5 months for me to start feeling back to the way before thyroid. The whole time after I had numbness in my left arm, occasional legs in the evenings, dizziness and having sensation that I’m not breathing etc. now all those symptoms came back after I took that one drop of progesterone. Also I’ve gained about 40 lbs since eating Peaty and I have a TON of cellulite. Can anyone suggest why I had such an adverse reaction to taking progesterone? And why such a prolonged after effects after stopping thyroid?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hey there,

I've gotten nothing but relaxation and calming down of such symptoms on progest-e and on cortinon (I think it's the name of idealabs' with DHEA).

I've also gained weight Peating, but I blame my severe self induced metabolic damage prior (fasting, fish oil, caloric restriction, etc) for years if not decades.

What progesterone are you using? I only use it prn now. Bag breathing might calm you down in a pinch.

Thyroid is still required for me. In the summer, I need 1/4 or less of what I need now. Going up to 2 grains today.

Hang in there.

InChristAlone

Sounds like a cortisol issue. For which I have no advice other than to avoid metabolic stimulants. It requires a lot of nutrition and women tend to undereat especially if they are gaining weight. I've been struggling with similar issues just from starting to eat more after not for months. My blood sugar goes super wonky and I get anxiety. But the more I eat and recover the better I feel.

P

Peatness

I sounds like a blood sugar issue. Katharina Dalton is good to read for explantion on the need for carbs when using progesterone.

You may have high adrenaline too. This is a good website

I've attached some essential reading on progesteron and these search engines are good for searching Dr peat's articles and interviews.

Bioenergetic Search

Attachments

• K dalton Progesterone and related topics interview.pdf
    68.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Ray_Peat_From_PMS_To_Menopause__Females_Hormones_In_Context.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
Put here your Cronometer. We need to know what you eat in a day. As Pina says, it can be a blood sugar issue.
If you eat enough carbs, 300g minimum, you can take Vitamine B1 and B3 to help metabolize your glucose efficiently. After a while, your blood glucose will become stable and most probably you will start losing fat.

What happens with progesterone is that decreases cortisol and I think you are running on it. That's why your body responds with cortisol and adrenaline after a few hours, to compensate the low blood sugar.

I lived the symptoms you mention a few years and finally I found the solution. Carbs are essential.

AncestralJoy

May be helpful may not be but for me (and my 40piund weight gain) the penny dropped when I heard Georgi say in an interview that eating too much fat actually simulates a stressed state in the body so in terms of wright gain and lowering stress monitoring the fat content can actually be surprisingly helpful. A month and a half ago I went to raw trim milk from the full fat raw milk I was using and avoided adding butter when possible and got a bit more movement. Im about 8poubds lighter and it didn't feel hard and I wasn't very strict. But it was helpful to me yo understand that especially when metabolically compromised eating lower fat is fairly important so you aren't simulating a stress state and storing the calories that one can't burn when there is a lot of fat in the system.

May not be an issue but thought I'd add it in case it is helpful to you

Also did you eat anything in that 4-5hrs after taking progesterone? As has already been mentioned carb intake is essential to supporting the use of progesterone and lowering stress response. And salt I guess too.

I know Katherina Dalton says in her book "Once a month" that she refuses to treat women until they have been consistent with her 3hrly starch diet. Progesterone is blocked from use in the presence of adrenaline and if the blood sugar drops adrenaline is released. So she starts all her women on eating some starch every 3hrs from waking to sleep. Though the ray peat work is fairly anti starch she felt that sugar went through too quickly and starch was a slower absorbing form of providing carbs. Once one has been consistent with this approach only then can progesterone be helpful and for some women she actually didn't need to give progesterone as the blood sugar balancing allowed then to utilize their own bodies progesterone

Katherina Dalton is a great place to start for progesterone info as well as all the above suggestions from other forum members

OP
gosiafromearth
Hey there,

I've gotten nothing but relaxation and calming down of such symptoms on progest-e and on cortinon (I think it's the name of idealabs' with DHEA).

I've also gained weight Peating, but I blame my severe self induced metabolic damage prior (fasting, fish oil, caloric restriction, etc) for years if not decades.

What progesterone are you using? I only use it prn now. Bag breathing might calm you down in a pinch.

Thyroid is still required for me. In the summer, I need 1/4 or less of what I need now. Going up to 2 grains today.

Hang in there.
The one that sent me over the edge was forever healthy hair progest-e. Before trying thyroid I put on 11 drops one night and had 1/4 of the adrenaline sensation that I had from 1 drop this time. I feel like my heart might be weakened from the thyroid induced adrenaline when I took it for two weeks.

InChristAlone

The one that sent me over the edge was forever healthy hair progest-e. Before trying thyroid I put on 11 drops one night and had 1/4 of the adrenaline sensation that I had from 1 drop this time. I feel like my heart might be weakened from the thyroid induced adrenaline when I took it for two weeks.
I was always told restoring thyroid function could cause extreme adrenaline sensitivity because I myself went through literal yrs of high temps and pulses and panic attacks from this lifestyle. I abandoned all hormones and caffeine and used more calming things like cyproheptadine which is an antihistamine that causes pretty bad sleepiness but I preferred the sleepiness to the hyper adrenaline state. In some ways I prefer hypothyroidism than high metabolism extreme adrenaline sensitivity. But being slow metabolism also causes it's own paralyzing effects. Have to strike a balance with the metabolism boosters.

LUH 3417

High fat can cause high adrenaline, esp the stress response from endotoxins. If you’re not eating enough carbs with thyroid or progesterone that could also be a nightmare. As others have mentioned dalton’s work emphasizes that progesterone cannot saturate nor be utilized by a cell without adequate blood sugar. She also has said some women do not need progesterone and have success bringing up their natural levels just by implementing the 3 hour starch diet. Ray has talked about the need for good thyroid function with progesterone use. Some brands of progesterone, instead of being utilized by the cells, have to bypass the liver which can be stressful on an already compromised system. I personally would use vaginal suppositories over oral and stick with progestE if I were to use progesterone.

Other potential deficiencies are magnesium and B vitamins. I gain weight very easily on whole milk, all it takes is a week of drinking whole milk and eating butter for me to put on 10lbs. On a related note I lose weight very easily going low fat and doing some basic exercise, like walking or tennis. Not sure how noelle Kovary keeps her figure eating whole milk dairy and high sugar. Maybe she skims her raw milk? I have no idea I just know it’s never worked for me and I end up gaining weight and feeling terrible about myself.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Put here your Cronometer. We need to know what you eat in a day. As Pina says, it can be a blood sugar issue.
If you eat enough carbs, 300g minimum, you can take Vitamine B1 and B3 to help metabolize your glucose efficiently. After a while, your blood glucose will become stable and most probably you will start losing fat.

What happens with progesterone is that decreases cortisol and I think you are running on it. That's why your body responds with cortisol and adrenaline after a few hours, to compensate the low blood sugar.

I lived the symptoms you mention a few years and finally I found the solution. Carbs are essential.
What dose of b1 and b3 would you use?

OP
gosiafromearth
High fat can cause high adrenaline, esp the stress response from endotoxins. If you’re not eating enough carbs with thyroid or progesterone that could also be a nightmare. As others have mentioned dalton’s work emphasizes that progesterone cannot saturate nor be utilized by a cell without adequate blood sugar. She also has said some women do not need progesterone and have success bringing up their natural levels just by implementing the 3 hour starch diet. Ray has talked about the need for good thyroid function with progesterone use. Some brands of progesterone, instead of being utilized by the cells, have to bypass the liver which can be stressful on an already compromised system. I personally would use vaginal suppositories over oral and stick with progestE if I were to use progesterone.

Other potential deficiencies are magnesium and B vitamins. I gain weight very easily on whole milk, all it takes is a week of drinking whole milk and eating butter for me to put on 10lbs. On a related note I lose weight very easily going low fat and doing some basic exercise, like walking or tennis. Not sure how noelle Kovary keeps her figure eating whole milk dairy and high sugar. Maybe she skims her raw milk? I have no idea I just know it’s never worked for me and I end up gaining weight and feeling terrible about myself.

OP
gosiafromearth
Thank you for this info. I’ll get the book and try to literally set up my alarm so I can have carbs every 3 hours. Do you skim your milk or do you have a favorite low fat brand? If you’re in United States. I think Noelle is still hard core breastfeeding so maybe her calories go to that but also I’ve seen her say she eats low fat dairy. I agree and I’ve done a horrible mistake like many other and jumped into eating sugar before I realized that I should cut my fats out since it’s so easy to gain

OP
gosiafromearth
May be helpful may not be but for me (and my 40piund weight gain) the penny dropped when I heard Georgi say in an interview that eating too much fat actually simulates a stressed state in the body so in terms of wright gain and lowering stress monitoring the fat content can actually be surprisingly helpful. A month and a half ago I went to raw trim milk from the full fat raw milk I was using and avoided adding butter when possible and got a bit more movement. Im about 8poubds lighter and it didn't feel hard and I wasn't very strict. But it was helpful to me yo understand that especially when metabolically compromised eating lower fat is fairly important so you aren't simulating a stress state and storing the calories that one can't burn when there is a lot of fat in the system.

May not be an issue but thought I'd add it in case it is helpful to you

Also did you eat anything in that 4-5hrs after taking progesterone? As has already been mentioned carb intake is essential to supporting the use of progesterone and lowering stress response. And salt I guess too.

I know Katherina Dalton says in her book "Once a month" that she refuses to treat women until they have been consistent with her 3hrly starch diet. Progesterone is blocked from use in the presence of adrenaline and if the blood sugar drops adrenaline is released. So she starts all her women on eating some starch every 3hrs from waking to sleep. Though the ray peat work is fairly anti starch she felt that sugar went through too quickly and starch was a slower absorbing form of providing carbs. Once one has been consistent with this approach only then can progesterone be helpful and for some women she actually didn't need to give progesterone as the blood sugar balancing allowed then to utilize their own bodies progesterone

Katherina Dalton is a great place to start for progesterone info as well as all the above suggestions from other forum members

OP
gosiafromearth
? that makes so much sense. It landed for me. I used to live in CA and I worked them but stood on my feet all day so not much movement by then I moved to FL and found a raw dairy contact and started to buy a ton of milk and cream from them. I had cream in my coffee every day but this time I was adding sugar too That’s what happened. I remember thinking “gosh it’s so beautiful here and I’m so stressed and depressed “.
I believe I ate because I took it earlier in the evening because it always makes me groggy if I take it too late. Except for this time since it was an adrenaline roller coaster all night. I did get up and have some milk, oj and salt and could finally fall asleep
I just ordered the book and I can’t wait to read it.
You gave me so much info to dig into. I really appreciate your time

OP
gosiafromearth
T

OP
gosiafromearth
Thank you for the info. I’ll look into getting b1+b3. I just started to log my food yesterday and have to be disciplined about it. It says in only consumed 101 g ?
Well that would make sense now

OP
gosiafromearth
I was always told restoring thyroid function could cause extreme adrenaline sensitivity because I myself went through literal yrs of high temps and pulses and panic attacks from this lifestyle. I abandoned all hormones and caffeine and used more calming things like cyproheptadine which is an antihistamine that causes pretty bad sleepiness but I preferred the sleepiness to the hyper adrenaline state. In some ways I prefer hypothyroidism than high metabolism extreme adrenaline sensitivity. But being slow metabolism also causes it's own paralyzing effects. Have to strike a balance with the metabolism boosters.
Yes I often feel like I’d rather just be tired than wired. I used to love being hyper but now after I’ve had a panic attack and these recent heart issues, numbness and reading everything about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis (I have slight and plaque) and its connection to low thyroid and heart attacks + my grandpa passing away from heart issues, I’m way more paranoid. I’ve been eyeing cyproheptadine but need to learn more about it. Thank you for the info you gave me

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals