SonOfEurope

It appears Doxepin can renormalize the messed up Circadian Rythm of some adults.

Did you mention that you tried iodine?

Yes - cipro even used cyclically will act on most Serotonin "receptors " lowering the burden but you must follow your Gut's instinct of whatever is less inflammatory down there right.

I get along well, and always have, with Basnanti rice+greens and boiled or baked tubers, but that's just ME... you have to find your ideal stability and let your gut adapt to that particular glucose source without eating General Lao Mao'$ noodles Monday and KFC friday like people nowadays are doing.... Not letting their guts get accustomed to that one source...

tara

... works as a potent antihistamine.
Sometimes just maintaining blood sugar and eating enough salt can help with antihistamine effect too.

The bloodwork also showed that my TSH has dropped very low (I've been supplementing 1 grain NDT daily), so I've been advised to stop supplementation.
If you were overdoing the thyroid supp, that could have been contributing to sleep-disturbing stress, especially while undereating.

bk_

Hi @Jesilyn I hope you’re doing well. I recently had the insomnia come back with a vengeance especially with regards to work/career stress. Niacinimide and progesterone weren’t helping. Months ago I stopped salting my food and stopped eating after dinner in an attempt to lose weight and reduce gut burden. I noticed I was running on adrenaline 24/7 and would eventually fall “asleep” out of sheer exhaustion and the sleep was light and poor quality. I felt like I was going insane.

I then went back to some of Peat’s original material for answers: Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

Peat recommended something salty with simple carbs and calcium right before bed. Since I was a teenager I was always instinctively having a late night meal or snack with dairy. At 16 I cut out milk after a round of antibiotics and replaced that with soy milk and the late night snack nuts/seeds/raw spinach and cut out all caffeine (as recommended by the gurus) and then years later developed severe eczema and basically became sensitive to almost everything. Then I became full blown orthorexic trying all sorts of health guru garbage which made me hypothyroid and nearly killed me (colossal mistake!).

What I did recently is started eating salty carrots and lactose free milk with maple syrup or sugar or organic ice cream right before bed.

The first time I did that I devoured almost an entire tub of ice cream like a dog than had a pile of extremely salty carrots (I was going insane I just couldn’t stop maybe it was the extreme stress hormones and animal instincts took over). I woke up 10 hours later not even remembering how I got to bed. Since then I’ve been sleeping the best I have in a long time. I hope that helps!

Last edited:

Nicole Carter

I definitely determined that the MegaSpore increases the sleeplessness, at least at this point in my current state of deterioration... maybe it is triggering too much of immune response? Or maybe it it extra endotoxin due to die off? I took a day off and slept better, but now after 2 days of not taking it I still slept poorly. The feeling and symptoms definitely match what I've heard and read about the excess endotoxin and serotonin, so I am intrigued by what I've gathered about cyproheptadine from this forum, but also hesitant because it sounds like some people have negative or mixed responses to it. My system is so sensitive at this point, I'd likely be one of those... going to ask my naturopath about it next time I get a chance. Any other rescue interventions anyone can think of or had success with?

Nicole Carter

Hello, I am experiencing extreme sleeplessness and looking for insight and things to try. On the worse nights I fall asleep for about an hour or even less and then I’m awake the rest of the night. I’ve been struggling with pretty severe insomnia for the past couple of years and it’s just been getting worse. I’ve tried a lot of things and have had some basic blood and stool analysis and am working with a naturopath with still no specific understanding of why my body can’t sleep. I have been incorporating new things, based on what I’ve learned from Dr. Peat’s interviews and articles, slowly adding more fruit, honey, and maple syrup, and have experienced some relief from my daytime symptoms due to increased metabolism (I was doing low carb carnivore-ish for several months before this). My sleep has gotten worse though. From what I’ve gleaned and what it feels like, I suspect it’s an endotoxin phenomenon. I introduced MegasporeBiotic a few days ago, and have been using cascara to keep my bowels moving. I’ve been using aspirin as well, and I can feel less inflammation and bloat. It feels better in there, although I have never really had particularly overt GI symptoms, I experience more of the brain fog, anxiety, depression. And inability to stay asleep. Any ideas or experiences to share?

Nicole Carter

I’ve been having worsening insomnia for the last few years. Peating has nit changed it for me. I am assuming it’s perimenooause related (I’m 48) since no other reason can be found. Sometimes Benadryl works, but the things that have helped me the most is a 2 hour bedtime routine which includes candles and red light only after sundown, books, how shower or bath, herbal bed time tea and l theonine and magnesium threonate 1 hour before bed. It’s been better. I hope you get some rest!