“Peat-friendly” Amino Acids?

faxmulder

Hi guys,

After some researches, I’d like to experiment with amino acids in my stack.
From what I’ve read, the most discussed, and potentially “peat-friendly”, are the ones below. I’ve put some questions - can you give your feedback?

For your reference, this is my current stack: magnesium, vit D, MSM, chaga and cordyceps. I’ve just started a ginger supplement, since I’ve read here that it’s anti serotonin and pro testosterone (bloodworks showed that hormones are in range but I have low luteinizing hormone).

Taurine (2g)
  • Is it necessary to counter-balance by taking beta alanine?
  • I’ve tried in the past (before sleep) but after extended usage I’ve got dry skin - is it a known side effect?

Lysine (500mg/1g)
I’m interested mainly for anti anxiety, help with sleep, anti serotonin, help with dry skin (alongside Vit C) and immune response modulation - I have an autoimmune disease.
  • Is it true that it could raise HDL cholesterol?
  • Is it necessary to counter-balance lysine by supplementing arginine or citrulline? If yes, which dosage?

Glycine (2/3g)
I’ve heard great things about this, so I’ve started supplementing it before sleep, in order to enhance deep sleep (recently I’m having too much REM sleep and not enough deep sleep).

However I got interrupted and disturbed sleep. How is this possible? Glycine is quite always advised for sleep... It’s interesting, because I get the same side effects on sleep with magnesium (every type) if I take it in the evening.

Theanine (200/400mg). I really wanted to like this, since it seems that everybody is recommending for anxiety, focus, sleep and overthinking.

However I didn’t notice many benefits and I got sad mood after extended usage.
Is this “nocebo effect”, or is it really possible to have this side effect on mood with theanine?
That being said, I think that theanine helped with hay fever and high histamine issues.

Agmatine
I’ve seen some good reviews about it (even if it seems it’s not an amino acid), since it could help with inflammation, anxiety and many other things (it has also some “nootropics effects” on mood and focus).

Do you have any experience with agmatine, combined with the other supplements mentioned?

Thanks a lot

Frankdee20

Glycine can act as excitatory or inhibitory since it has binding sites on NMDA.

Theanine can lower excess Glutamates, and that helps anxiety.

OP
F

faxmulder

Glycine can act as excitatory or inhibitory since it has binding sites on NMDA.

Theanine can lower excess Glutamates, and that helps anxiety.
alright, so maybe I could try glycine during the day.
Would be theoretically possible that theanine lowers glutamate too much and give depressed mood after extended usage?

do you have any feedback about the open points regarding taurine, lysine and agmatine?

thanks man

Frankdee20

alright, so maybe I could try glycine during the day.
Would be theoretically possible that theanine lowers glutamate too much and give depressed mood after extended usage?

do you have any feedback about the open points regarding taurine, lysine and agmatine?

thanks man

Low Glutamate has been linked to depression, but mostly attenuated thought process... Taurine doesn’t really increase GABA but is likely binding to its own receptor sites, and does have inhibitory effects, much like beta alanine and GABA... I don’t know if there’s an inverse relationship between intake of the two... I’ve never used Lysine, but I know it blocks serotonin at the one specific receptor, but also inhibits arginine which lowers NO, which is bad for erections

Maljam

Have I got this right, all the supplements you used have given you a negative reaction?

Frankdee20

Have I got this right, all the supplements you used have given you a negative reaction?

No, lol... I love Taurine (but it lowers blood sugar so take with food).... I like Glycine (but I get it from Mag Glycinate which is 77 percent Glycine).... I never used Lysine.... I never tried Beta Alanine ..... I like Theanine (I get 200 mg a day from Theanine Serine) ... I never tried Agnatine

Jessie

I did a Taurine experiment for 30 days to see what (if anything) it would do. It's very good for lowering adrenaline, it also has cardio protective properties to it. I took it with either sugared milk or coke, to prevent blood sugar from bottoming out. Would I recommend? Ehhh maybe. I'm a firm believer in keeping supplement stacks small, ideally the less the better unless you know exactly what you're trying to address. Taurine will help absorb fat soluble vitamins like A, D, K. This could be a big help for people eating low-fat diets.

Lysine, from what I've read, seems to suppress both serotonin and nitric oxide. So this could have some positive effects on people. But I've also read where it can increase fat oxidation, so this seems like it would be a negative quality. Would I recommend? Can't say really. My only experience with it was when taking magnesium lysinate, which probably doesn't have much lysine in it anyways. Maybe someone else can give a better answer.

Glycine seems to be all around favorable in the context of bioenergetics. It's a potent GABA agonist and liver protector. Many folks take it at or around bedtime to help them sleep. Additionally it also had anti-serotonin effects plus it can support wound healing. Would I recommend? Yeah probably, although I don't take it directly. My personal sources of glycine are from gelatin, skimmed oxtail soup, and skimmed bone broth.

Theanine is a interesting amino. And much like glycine, it has many upsides and not a lot of downsides. It's both a dopamine agonist, and a serotonin antagonist. There's not many substances out here that will both raise dopamine and lower serotonin at the same time. It also seems to potently lower cortisol as well. In effect, this should be a very good amino for killing the stress response and raising metabolism, mood, etc. Would I recommend? Yeah I would. I've personally experimented with theanine at 500mg doses and have gotten really good effects from it. And unlike taurine, it won't wreck havoc on your blood sugar.

Agmatine is something I'm completely ignorant on. I've never read anything about it before. Perhaps someone else can fill you in on it.

YourUniverse

I really like glycine and theanine, and I've ordered taurine. No experience with agmatine or lysine. I find amino acids to be more potent than almost any vitamin I've had.

Glycine makes me calm and centered. I imagine taurine does something similar, which is the effect I'm looking for. Theanine takes away minor anxieties and increases concentration.

Amino acids lower blood sugar and raise insulin.

Peat does not recommend taking isolated aminos. I think someone posted a quote that glycine is the only safe amino to take.

The supplements I take are glycine, taurine (when it arrives), and vitamin D, pregnenolone a few times per week, aspirin/cypro as needed. When the theanine runs out I will decide if I want to reorder - I also like to keep supplement stacks small.

Maljam

No, lol... I love Taurine (but it lowers blood sugar so take with food).... I like Glycine (but I get it from Mag Glycinate which is 77 percent Glycine).... I never used Lysine.... I never tried Beta Alanine ..... I like Theanine (I get 200 mg a day from Theanine Serine) ... I never tried Agnatine

Sorry my question was meant to be aimed at the OP.

@Frankdee20 What's going on with your Avatar lol?

OP
F

faxmulder

Sorry my question was meant to be aimed at the OP.
Actually I haven’t tried lysine and agmatine yet, because I have a few questions. Do you have any feedback about these?

Taurine: I’ve got dry skin but I was wondering if it was really caused by it, or other supplements I was taking at the time.
For this reason I was asking here if it’s a common side effect.

Glycine: I had a negative reaction when taken before sleep, but following some replies I think I’ll try it during the day. Maybe it could counter-balance taurine-caused dry skin?

Theanine: I got a bit depressed mood after extended usage, BUT it helped with high histamine/hay fever. So I’m thinking about taking it and adding something (maybe Rhodiola or ginseng or Cordyceps) to counter-balance side effects on mood. Do you think that this strategy could work?

thanks mate

Matt C

Chris Masterjohn believes the best absorption of glycine comes from hydrolysed collagen. Maybe that's why it's the most expensive form...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals