I Need Help To Grow Back My Receding Hairline. [20yo MALE]

OP
U

Undertone

It would benefit you to bulk up slowly, put on some muscle. For overall attractiveness. But don't go crazy training 6 days a week. It is of major importance to design your life in a way that minimizes stress, worries as much as possible, but still having a vibrant, active lifestyle.
You're closer to NW3 than NW2, gotta act fast.

Thanks, what are you suggesting regarding hairloss and muscle mass ?

GreekDemiGod

Thanks, what are you suggesting regarding hairloss and muscle mass ?
I started lifting in the summer of 2017. Reached my most muscular physique in 1.5 years. In hindsight, it may have did some damage to my hair.
I was forcing my body to the maximum, relying on cortisol to hit heavy gym sessions, not caring about digestion, recovery.
You can build serious muscle by pushing your body to the maximum, even if your metabolism is not in optimal health.
The workouts did give me energy and good feeling, endorphines, all that. But outside the gym, I was still fatigued and low energy. That should have been a sign something is not ok.
At one poin, I was doing a pure bodybuilding style program, high volume, high reps. The workouts left me drained, I intuitively felt my Test / libido drop at the end of the workout. It didn't felt right.
Now my strategy is slowly healing / optimising my metabolism to the highest as the main goal, with building muscle a secondary goal. I am still putting on lean muscle at a slow pace.
Enough rest and recovery is crucial. I've cut down all cardio completely, except walking / light hiking.

What are your temps like? Thyroid status? Digestion?
If you're bulking with a broken digestion, that's asking for trouble. I am guilty of this.

GreekDemiGod

I think high calcium and vitamin D intake would increase hair density, and keeping phosphate lower than calcium would be important too. I think getting all the fat soluble vitamins (liver, eggs) and avoiding PUFA completely and temporarily avoiding an excess of copper would also help. I think high TSH/prolactin is involved in loss of density so keeping fat low, carbs & protein high, getting sunlight, and taking T4, which will all lower TSH/prolactin, would probably help.
Do you suggest supplemental Vitamin D?
Also T4 alone?:beaver::beaver:

OP
U

Undertone

I'm following jason blaha's 5x5 ice cream fitness novice program. I feel good at the end of a gym session. My morning oral temp is around 36°C, Haven't had a thyroid test, and my digestion is weird, I have some gas, and stool are rather soft.

GreekDemiGod

It would be paramount to avoid taking stimulants or anything that boosts metabolic rate it will likely just cause more shedding. This includes thyroid.
Hmm, so drinking lots of Coke or Redbull not advised for someone with not quite peak metabolism?
Also taking Aspirin and K2. People have reported shedding on high dose Kuinone, that may be due to strong blood sugar lowering effect of K2.

Ableton

I'm working out in the gym 3x week, and eating a lot trying to gain weight. I will definitely try to get bloodwork done.

Any more suggestions ?

no but a question: compression exercises?
also from my experience, I don't agree with low fat being good for your hair if you are hypo. get saturated fats, good for warm hands, too

Last edited:
OP
U

Undertone

no but a question: compression exercises?
also from my experience, I don't agree with low fat being good for your hair if you are hypo. get saturated fats, good for warm hands, too
Yep look out Paul Taylor "HairgrowthSOS", its basically constant small forces with your hands on strategic locations on your skull

redsun

Hmm, so drinking lots of Coke or Redbull not advised for someone with not quite peak metabolism?
Also taking Aspirin and K2. People have reported shedding on high dose Kuinone, that may be due to strong blood sugar lowering effect of K2.
Well it was more specifically for OP but it can apply to others. OP is tall and very lean, very cold extremities. Also his temp is on the low range. All indicative of metabolism that is burned out and the body slowing itself down. Super clean eating. Also if he has some sort of anemia this can all be worse.

It depends, but I would say it is highly unlikely that caffeine can increase shedding but it is possible if it excessive for the individual. How much caffeine you get total daily you think?

Caffeine does not raise metabolism in the same way thyroid (T4 or T3 but mostly T3) hormone or thyroid boosting supplements (Iodine, selenium) raise metabolism. Hair loss from thyroid is common. Even for me, I have zero hair loss problems yet if I take T3 I start to get a small amount of hairs coming out. Also taking any hormone can have unintended consequences on the hair or your own hormonal balance and cause issues even if the hormone is not exactly a stimulant.

Can't say if K2 really raises metabolism. I think aspirin does if you take enough of it and K2 lowers blood calcium which can raise metabolism especially if you take a ton that can explain shedding at high doses. You would have to investigate whether aspirin with K2 increases shedding or not for you.

@Undertone Did you always have cold extremities, low temp? If not when did it start?

GreekDemiGod

@redsun Sorry, meant to say hairline receding on Kuinone.
About the caffeine, the maximum I'm drinking is:
  • 2 cups of double espresso daily
  • 1 small bottle of Coca Cola 3-5 times / week
  • a can of Red Bull 2-3 times / week
I have minimal shedding, though I'd like very much to regain some density. Mostly my temples are challenged.

Kunstruct

I'm working out in the gym 3x week, and eating a lot trying to gain weight. I will definitely try to get bloodwork done.

Go to the gym less and do harder exercises for less reps.
Going 3 or 4 times a week works excellent for those with great metabolism and able to eat properly.

redsun

@redsun Sorry, meant to say hairline receding on Kuinone.
About the caffeine, the maximum I'm drinking is:
  • 2 cups of double espresso daily
  • 1 small bottle of Coca Cola 3-5 times / week
  • a can of Red Bull 2-3 times / week
I have minimal shedding, though I'd like very much to regain some density. Mostly my temples are challenged.

That sounds like a moderate amount of caffeine. Very likely not an issue.

lampofred

Caffeine does not raise metabolism in the same way thyroid (T4 or T3 but mostly T3) hormone or thyroid boosting supplements (Iodine, selenium) raise metabolism. Hair loss from thyroid is common. Even for me, I have zero hair loss problems yet if I take T3 I start to get a small amount of hairs coming out. Also taking any hormone can have unintended consequences on the hair or your own hormonal balance and cause issues even if the hormone is not exactly a stimulant.

What's the difference? Is it just that caffeine only increases progesterone whereas thyroid increases both dhea (which can be bad for hair) and progesterone, or is there something more fundamental?

lampofred

Yeah, I think T4 only in doses small enough that you don't turn hypo would increase hair density by quieting the pituitary.

Vitamin D only if sugar intake is higher than starch and calcium higher than phosphate (which will both help quiet the pituitary on their own) because if serum phosphate is high I think vitamin D might increase serotonin and increase calcification.

T4, sugar, high calcium to phosphate, aspirin all work to quiet the pituitary by lowering FFA and increasing sugar use. OP's body type imo sounds like high PUFA peroxidation.

redsun

What's the difference? Is it just that caffeine only increases progesterone whereas thyroid increases both dhea (which can be bad for hair) and progesterone, or is there something more fundamental?

Caffeine mostly increases fat metabolism and barely sugar metabolism and I don't think it pushes protein metabolism much at all. Thyroid dramatically raises metabolism of fat, carbohydrates, and protein. Literally everything shoots up and if you lack protection from increased metabolic demand you get wasting.

I dont think T4 can do this really because it can be converted to RT3 which protects from too fast metabolism (too fast meaning too fast for an individual to handle the metabolic strain of). Taking T3 or iodine and selenium (selenium specifically being needed to convert more T3) bypasses the natural mechanisms of the body which makes T4 first and only making T3 if you have enough protection for it.

T3 bypasses everything and pushes metabolism no matter what. I think even if you have too much caffeine your body can also make more RT3 to deal with that but Im not sure about that. But caffeine is no where near as strong as T3 in raising metabolic rate and it doesnt do it the same way.

Motif

Nobody here ever grew back one hair but giving all those advices.

Alright guys

OP
U

Undertone

So what basic steps can I take to improve my hair ?
I'm not sure I'm following everyone :)
I'm down to try anything

OP
U

Undertone

I have to admit I don't feel like I'm healthy I have many allergies (cat, dust, pollen), as I said I'm often tired, I need to pee very often, I'm a very anxious person.

baccheion

Yeah, I think T4 only in doses small enough that you don't turn hypo would increase hair density by quieting the pituitary.

Vitamin D only if sugar intake is higher than starch and calcium higher than phosphate (which will both help quiet the pituitary on their own) because if serum phosphate is high I think vitamin D might increase serotonin and increase calcification.

T4, sugar, high calcium to phosphate, aspirin all work to quiet the pituitary by lowering FFA and increasing sugar use. OP's body type imo sounds like high PUFA peroxidation.
Would this (ie, sugars) still apply if trying to heal cavities? Isn't vitamin D supposedly also beneficial because it increases calcium absorption, better balancing calcium:phosphorus?

HChpalley

What did your thyroid labs look like?

Apart from the obvious clinical thyroid signs (and low temp and low pulse) my highest thyroid labs were TSH 6.2 and lowest TSH 4.0. Which are rather high especially for my very young age.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals