Thoughts On My Hair Loss Regimen?

JayLuz91

Greetings guys this is my first post on here. I'm a 27 year old Black guy. I'm about a NW1.5 but I'm usually able to style my hair to where it looks like I have no hair loss at all. All the guys on my mom's side of the family are NW0's, they all have great hair. On my dad's side of the family it varies but most of the men have great to decent heads of hair (Besides my dad).

My dad went bald when he was in his early 40s (He is 61 now). What I find interesting are my uncles (My Dad has three younger brothers) all have full heads of hair with zero hair loss even though they only are a few years younger than my dad. Judging from pictures it looks like he also had perfect hair for a very long time just like my uncles do now, so where did his hair loss come from? Was he just unlucky?

Anyway I'm lucky because my hair loss progression is pretty slow overall. But I'm a pretty vain person when it comes to hair and I want to eventually get back to having my teenage hairline back.

Here are some things in my regimen with the reasoning for using it:
A tea that promotes Hair Growth (This tea is loaded with vitamins and also seems to be pro-thyroid)
Organic Sulfur (To break up fibrosis and transport Oxygen)
Emu Oil mixed with Peppermint/Lavender and Rosemary (Emu Oil helps with Scalp fatty layer, other essential oils promote blood circulation in scalp)
Hair loss Shampoo and Conditioner (This will thicken hair)
Laser Helmet (LLT has numerous benefits for hair)
Scalp Tension relaxer (My scalp seems to be chronically tense and this helps with that issue)

Any thoughts on these items? I already have used most of the items listed above but never really on a consistent basis or in conjunction with one another. I also have some supplements I take that I will post about later.

Inaut

I've been testing out an ACV rinse with taurine, msm and 100mg of caffeine (twice a day) in addition to avoiding inflammatory foods and using red light a couple times a day. Haven't seen any progress yet as the sulfur taurine caffeine mixture is something i started doing over the last couple of weeks. hoping that it helps even slightly..... I've notice since eating more gelatin though(4 tbsps a day), I lose much less hair at least from combing/breakage. I have very fine hair btw

I forgot to mention...There's alot of good info on this forum regarding hair loss, if you haven't i'd recommend checking out @Elephanto and @Travis posts. I like their lines of thinking and it gives me some hope that hairloss is treatable(although difficult)

Last edited:
OP
J

JayLuz91

I've been testing out an ACV rinse with taurine, msm and 100mg of caffeine (twice a day) in addition to avoiding inflammatory foods and using red light a couple times a day. Haven't seen any progress yet as the sulfur taurine caffeine mixture is something i started doing over the last couple of weeks. hoping that it helps even slightly..... I've notice since eating more gelatin though(4 tbsps a day), I lose much less hair at least from combing/breakage. I have very fine hair btw
Awesome man, I do ACV rinses from time to time and it really helps me with scalp itch and inflammation. I'm also trying to avoid inflammatory foods recently but that's been pretty hard. My long term goal is to mainly eat alkaline foods and foods that won't cause inflammation. So far I've cut things like cereal and dairy out of my diet. (Who's idea was it to make something like cereal a staple in American breakfast anyway? This is a food that you eat and it spikes your blood sugar and insulin levels right after, it's definitely something to avoid.)

The gelatin sounds pretty valuable, I'm gunna have to start consuming that soon.

revenant

Never had any luck with emu oil, if anything it seems to cause shedding. I'd mix the essential oils with a regular shampoo (or a ketoconazole / piroctone olamine / zinc pyrithione shampoo).

Supplementing with taurine and gelatin will not hurt and might help. Seems to grow my hair longer anyway.

OP
J

JayLuz91

In the past when I've used Emu Oil on a consistent basis my scalp ended up feeling a lot healthier. My issue is I have trouble using it consistently because it can be messy. I just finished massaging my scalp a few minutes ago, my scalp felt pretty painful especially in my thinning areas. This is one of the reasons I want to get back to using Emu Oil as it usually reduces my scalp inflammation. Some people online rave about the stuff, I don't think it's some kind of miracle product but I do think it has its benefits.

OP
J

JayLuz91

I had 2 very long consultations with a guy who is essentially a guru in Anti-Aging/Hair Loss prevention some time last year. He gave me a recommendation of supplements and the reasoning behind them based on his assessment of my issues.

He recommended I start off doing the Basal Temperature test to see if I had a sluggish Thyroid.
Acetyl L-Carnitine/Alpha Lipoic Acid/Biotin (The particular supplement he recommended contains all three combined together, ALC is 500mg, ALA is 200mg, and Biotin is 333mcg)
Vitamin D 5,000 IU
MSM 750mg
Ecklonia Cava 320mg
Fully Active B-Complex
Magnesium Malate 1,000mg
Shilajit Fulvic Acid
Krill Oil 500mg
Tocosorb with Vitamin E

Optional recommendations:
Antioxidant Boost
Iosol Formula

Last edited:
OP
J

JayLuz91

From my consultation he stressed the importance of Vitamin D and Sulfur.

Vitamin D: Improves the ability to utilize the transport of Sulfur.

He explained that Sulfur is huge because it is a "primer" for glutathione and it boosts IGF-1 (5-AR miniaturizes the hair by inhibiting IGF-1)

I personally think anyone suffering from hair loss should be using high amounts of Sulfur based supplements such as Taurine and MSM. Both supplements have decalcification abilities and MSM is said to be able to lengthen the anagen phase in the hair growth cycle.

OP
J

JayLuz91

Estrogen, Prolactin, and Aldosterone are three issues that were discussed in the consultation as well since I felt these are big factors in my hair loss.

For Estrogen an infrared sauna was recommended and I was told a few months of consistent use would remove up to 80% of excess estrogen.

For Prolactin it was recommended I use Iodine or if I wanted to rapidly drop my prolactin levels to use 1500mg of Vitex (Also known as chasteberry)

For Aldosterone: Celery Seed Extract, Apple Cider Vinegar, Removal of lead through a Heavy Metal detox.

OP
J

JayLuz91

Inaut

It has reduced mine.... I think other things are going on within the body... to attribute it to one thing wouldn’t necessarily be fair imo. It may not be for you but erybody is different

blueorca

I got advice from elephants. The stack I started from him was Zinc picolinate, magnesium citrate ,vitamin a k and e,MSM. Topical Acv left overnight and wash hair once a week with a ketoconazole shampoo. I have noticed alot of improvement on my hairline, I just have some thin areas. Oh and most importantly, what I think really helped was drinking baking soda with water. It increases CO2 and alkaline the body to help fight inflammation.

Lenorez

I forgot to mention...There's alot of good info on this forum regarding hair loss, if you haven't i'd recommend checking out @Elephanto and @Travis posts. I like their lines of thinking and it gives me some hope that hairloss is treatable(although difficult)

Hello! Have you considered maybe trying out biotine vitamins also? I hear this helps hair thickness and possibly helps with growth as well.

OP
J

JayLuz91

Hey everyone I just wanted to check in and give an update. So for the past few weeks I've been pretty consistent at doing deep scalp massages for about 10-15 minutes, using my scalp tension relaxer for about 30 mins daily, and using peppermint/emu oil every other day. I've used my Laser Helmet a few times but I'm still struggling to get on a consistent schedule with it.

What I've noticed so far: Less inflammation for starters. When I started consistently doing the deep scalp massages a few weeks ago my scalp would be in so much PAIN, I could barely finish the massage half the time because my scalp hurt so much. These days I'm able to finish the massage very easily because the pain has subsided tremendously. The areas where I'm thinning still have some pain though so I'm gunna keep on massaging daily until my entire scalp is pain free.

Scalp tension relaxer makes my scalp feel incredible, it took me awhile to get used to it but now I look forward to using it. If I use it for 30 minutes when I take it off I start to feel a rush of blood flow in my scalp. Pretty awesome stuff.

blueorca

Hey everyone I just wanted to check in and give an update. So for the past few weeks I've been pretty consistent at doing deep scalp massages for about 10-15 minutes, using my scalp tension relaxer for about 30 mins daily, and using peppermint/emu oil every other day. I've used my Laser Helmet a few times but I'm still struggling to get on a consistent schedule with it.

What I've noticed so far: Less inflammation for starters. When I started consistently doing the deep scalp massages a few weeks ago my scalp would be in so much PAIN, I could barely finish the massage half the time because my scalp hurt so much. These days I'm able to finish the massage very easily because the pain has subsided tremendously. The areas where I'm thinning still have some pain though so I'm gunna keep on massaging daily until my entire scalp is pain free.

Scalp tension relaxer makes my scalp feel incredible, it took me awhile to get used to it but now I look forward to using it. If I use it for 30 minutes when I take it off I start to feel a rush of blood flow in my scalp. Pretty awesome stuff.
This happened to me a few times too. Elephanto said it means that your scalp is being decalcified and regaining sensation in those areas.

lampofred

I started balding several years ago but I reversed it a few years ago after finding Ray Peat and have had a full head of hair ever since. What worked for me was coffee and aspirin. I think the cause of hair loss is muscle tension from too much serotonin, prolactin, and glutamate. Avoiding foods that raise prolactin (PUFA mainly) and activities that raise prolactin, increasing CO2, drinking coffee and taking aspirin to lower serotonin and raise GABA all helped. Vitamin K also helped a lot (it lowers serotonin and reverses calcification). Having low serotonin and high GABA seems to be the key to having relaxed muscles and a full head of hair.

GorillaHead

I started balding several years ago but I reversed it a few years ago after finding Ray Peat and have had a full head of hair ever since. What worked for me was coffee and aspirin. I think the cause of hair loss is muscle tension from too much serotonin, prolactin, and glutamate. Avoiding foods that raise prolactin (PUFA mainly) and activities that raise prolactin, increasing CO2, drinking coffee and taking aspirin to lower serotonin and raise GABA all helped. Vitamin K also helped a lot (it lowers serotonin and reverses calcification). Having low serotonin and high GABA seems to be the key to having relaxed muscles and a full head of hair.

You reversed it? As in you went back a norwood? I find it really hard to believe aspirin reverse mpb cause it blocks necessary prostaglandins for hair growth