'AGA' - alopecia - experience sharing - looking for advice

aidan2021

Dear All,
My name is Al., 29yo, French.
i have been diagonised with AGA since i was 18yo. I am NW2 today.
My hairline started receding in 2009/2010. My father was/is completely bald since he was 30yo. My brother started receding at 16yo.
I went to one dermatologist, came out with a prescription of finasteride. Took it daily from 2010 to 2018. Definitely helped with slowing hairline receding. But no regrowth.
In 2018, I started reading about Rob Detumescence Therapy. I decided to go after it straight away - i wanted to stop fin as the outcome were limited & i was looking for a safer method.
After doing massages for 1 year approx. i was disappointed as my hair kept receding. It helped a bit with dandruffs but it was time consuming 2*30 min of massages per day!
Beginning of 2020, i gave a try to dermarolling and zix (zinc with ethanol) applied topically. I got quickly tired of it (DR is painful) and decided to jump again to finasteride.
Took finasteride during 2 weeks, had balls pain. Decided to quit rightly.
Mid 2020, i started feeling comfortable with the idea of accepting alopecia and stopping the fight.. til i found out Danny's youtube posts beginning of 2021 (very recent).
I don't know for my thyroid yet. What is can see/feel is that my toes are sometimes cold, my eyes often red. My pulse rate is kind of high sometimes. I am anxious/tense and i have a stressful job. My scalp can be itchy, particularly in the balding ares (vertex and temples), sometimes a bit red. I grew up in a very anxious environment. I don't know yet for my temperature: i need to buy a thermometer. I will have my blood tested tomorrow morning (TSH and other stuff).
I have not read all the forum discussions yet of course and i still need to go through them in order to pick advice/tips. I started minimizing pufas beginning of this week, taking aspirin 1*500mg daily, eating calf liver for the first time in my life this Thursday. Didn't like it but will continue with the efforts.
What would you recommend to me so far? Do you think my alopecia could be linked to thyroid poor function or something else?
Thanks for reading

MitchMitchell

You will need:

TSH
free t3 “t3 libre”
Free t4 “t4 libre”
Reverse t3 (no idea how to translate this in French)
thyroid antibodies are optional. The t3/t4 ratios help designing an appropriate plan but will not predict your need for a high or low dose.

Spot on thyroid supplementation is a total game changer. Appetite through the roof, major improvements in glucose and fatty acid metabolism, better hair skin nail and so on. Unfortunately, 99% of the population (including doctors) being absolutely clueless about bloodwork, you’re at a high risk of reading regurgitated broscience from biased pseudo experts. It’s one of those things where it’s solely about how you feel and never about listening to someone else telling you how much you should or shouldn’t take.

OP
A

aidan2021

Thank you Mitch
My doctor prescribed blood test as follows:
NFS
crp
creat DFG
asat alat ggt pal
natremie kaliemie
EAL
GAJ
TSH
Don't know if T3 & T4 are included though i clearly talked about a potential thyroid issue.

Murtaza

you took finasteride for 8 years?! How are you holding up emotionally and physically?

PaRa

french too, you really have to be insistant and ask for T3 T4 and rT3, bc they just test TSH and if your TSH is in the "normal range" ( so between 0.5 and 4.5 lol) your med will probably not want to test further with T3,T4 and others parameters bc "you are normal" , finding a compliant doctor is hard here bc of our healthcare system that pay a lot

OP
A

aidan2021

About finasteride, didn't feel like i had side effects during the first period of time i took it.
I felt normal and 'healthy'
ok PaRa well noted. Will try to test T3 & T4. I know that i have small thyroid nodules showing on my last echography dated 2 years ago.

MitchMitchell

Thank you Mitch
My doctor prescribed blood test as follows:
NFS
crp
creat DFG
asat alat ggt pal
natremie kaliemie
EAL
GAJ
TSH
Don't know if T3 & T4 are included though i clearly talked about a potential thyroid issue.

useless bloodwork I’m sorry my guy

B

Blaze

Dear All,
My hairline started receding in 2009/2010. My father was/is completely bald since he was 30yo. My brother started receding at 16yo.
I went to one dermatologist, came out with a prescription of finasteride. Took it daily from 2010 to 2018. Definitely helped with slowing hairline receding. But no regrowth.
In 2018, I started reading about Rob Detumescence Therapy. I decided to go after it straight away - i wanted to stop fin as the outcome were limited & i was looking for a safer method.
After doing massages for 1 year approx. i was disappointed as my hair kept receding. It helped a bit with dandruffs but it was time consuming 2*30 min of massages per day!
Beginning of 2020, i gave a try to dermarolling and zix (zinc with ethanol) applied topically. I got quickly tired of it (DR is painful) and decided to jump again to finasteride.
Mid 2020, i started feeling comfortable with the idea of accepting alopecia and stopping the fight.. til i found out Danny's youtube posts beginning of 2021 (very recent).
I don't know for my thyroid yet. What is can see/feel is that my toes are sometimes cold, my eyes often red. My pulse rate is kind of high sometimes. I am anxious/tense and i have a stressful job. My scalp can be itchy, particularly in the balding ares (vertex and temples), sometimes a bit red. I grew up in a very anxious environment. I don't know yet for my temperature: i need to buy a thermometer. I will have my blood tested tomorrow morning (TSH and other stuff).
I have not read all the forum discussions yet of course and i still need to go through them in order to pick advice/tips. I started minimizing pufas beginning of this week, taking aspirin 1*500mg daily, eating calf liver for the first time in my life this Thursday. Didn't like it but will continue with the efforts.
What would you recommend to me so far? Do you think my alopecia could be linked to thyroid poor function or something else?
Thanks for reading
You mentioned your Father was balding. Well, first of all, the gene that determines baldness almost always comes from your Mom not your Dad (also Mom gave you every one of your bodies mitochondria----fascinating). If your Mother's father was bald she probably passed it to you via the X chromosome. If Dad is bald then you have autosomal tendencies toward baldness from him, but this usually doesn't have anything to do with the chromosomal tendencies. If this is a genetic inheritance thing then hair thinning might just be part of your makeup.

If your maternal side doesn't have the baldness gene passing to you then you may have one of the following possibilities:

AGA (you already mentioned)
CTE (chronic telogen effluvium) usually presents as overall thinning instead of receding hairline

Sounds to me like you do indeed have early-beginning AGA, though based on the norwood scale number you posted. Perhaps due to a out of balance hormonal issue. If I were in your shoes I would try to improve my hormone profile and also experiment with nutrition to address the balding.

On a personal note, I thought my own thinning hair was just a part of me and didn't harbor much hope for changing it. But I really was ok with that and didn't stress about it. Surprisingly, following the basic Peat dietary principles and paying attention to thyroid has really unexpectedly helped my hair. It now actually looks good.

So, in summary, stress/anxiety really kills hair growth and throws all your hormones off so, focus on removing stress from your life. Find a way to be at peace and content.

Bad nutrition kills hair growth such as a hypocaloric diet for one. Get enough calories and get enough nutrients. Hair growth is very low on the bodies priority list. If you short yourself on calories or essential nutrients, the body will use what you do give it for the more important processes first. A hypocaloric diet is a big no-no

I am 60 so on a fatherly note , you shouldn't obsess about the hair thing. Look at Haidut in some youtube videos-healthy skin , overall seems healthy , happy, alert and cogent. And follicly challenged. Good health is paramount and totally more important than good hair. And you can still look great with less hair. A lot of a man's beauty comes from his mental abilities and self confidence and strength and sense of humor anyway. You will find out the opposite sex gravitates to those things way more than hair.

My apologies in advance Haidut for using you for a baldness example.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

aidan2021

Hi Blade
Thanks a lot for your message. Really appreciated.
My mother's dad started balding early in his life. It looks like i didn't inherit the good genes for hair :cool:
Surprinsingly all my cousins have head full of hair. So it is kind of a lotery.
I will do my best to improve nutrition. So far i thought i ate healthy but when it comes to nutrients, i have room for improvement. Started eating liver, reducing PUFAs (i didn't eat that much PUFAs before but still), using coconut instead of olive oil, drinking more milk (one full glass per day is enough as i am intolerant to it if i increase the amount).
as you said i need to relax. Easier said than done as i have grown up in a stressful environment and still have the bad reflexes.
i will try to test my thyroid (t3 t4 tsh rt3). As PaRa said, not easy in France with the healthcare system.
i have gained some maturity with hair loss. i care much less than before but still sometimes overwhelms me.
Haidut must be a good evidence that pattern hair loss and general health are not that much correlated.
From what i understood, Haidut really focuses on high metabolism and still lost his hair.
That s the way it is.
Thank you again & take care

johnysummer

Dear All,
Thanks for reading

Correct metabolsim. Temps 36.6 at wake up, 37 after breakfast and pulse 75 bpm through out the day. If you have these I think is not possible to loose more hair. I also have AGA and since I starting fixing my metabolism recesion has stoped although metabolism is not yet completely fixed. Taking thyroid is also one way to do it but I dont think that is optimal solution since you are young and can have a natural solution. If you dont see new velus hair at hairline level try driking baking soda 3 tsps/day, apple cider vinegar rinse at every other night and sleep with it after drying your hair and magnesium citrate 1-2g for a couple of weeks. This will fortunately take care of calcification on the scalp. Also vits k2 +d.

OP
A

aidan2021

Thanks johnysummer, appreciated.
i ll try the baking soda. I guess it is to increase CO2 right?
Any idea to fix milk intolerance?
I've spent some time on the forum this afternoon and went through the thread 'The Cause of Baldness'.
"Elephanto did light fasts.( Lowers IGF-1 and blood returns to skin/hair rather than constantly digesting)
Elephanto did light jogs.( Blood flow, lympth movement)
Elephanto ate primarily pea/potatoes/rice/fruit
Elephanto regrew or reversed his hair and left the forum."

If true, I need to read more about Elephanto's regimen. What are your thoughts about this?

Just found this from him:
"Reposting ITT for future reference.

Finasteride helps with hair loss in 2 ways :

1. Finasteride/Dutasteride have potent antibacterial effects.
Finasteride Activity Against Candida Albicans

and

2. DHT is triggered by chronic stress, it in turn triggers estrogen. High DHT isn't desirable but rather a symptom of systemic sickness.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) Activates Estrogen Receptor Alpha

I don't really believe in sebum being the main cause, but it doesn't help. I have seen high testosterone men (roiding) who produce a lot of sebum with perfect hairlines. Calcified scalps are found in deceased people who suffered from baldness. IGFBP3 is significantly lower in young men balding than their non-balding counterparts. Estrogen, Endotoxins and Vitamin D deficiency inhibit IGFBP3 and cause tissue calcification. The calcification is the main cause, cutting out blood circulation to hair follicles (in a way that is the only that can explain the horseshoe pattern), and it might be only enabled by an improper (narrow) skull structure. This can be changed with Vitamin K2, Pregnenolone, Boron and perhaps physical actions like mewing and hard chewing which have theoretical proofs supporting such influence. Decalcification reverses hair loss, with agents like high dose Magnesium, MSM, Taurine, Vitamin K2, D, Zinc, Boron and actions like rinsing the scalp with Apple Cider Vinegar and scalp massaging (like someone mentioned, inversion/headstand will also help). Endotoxins do the most of their damage when they enter the bloodstream by cause of intestinal permeability, so the avoidance of gut irritants and sufficiency of Vitamin D should be prioritary and perhaps Glutamine has to be supplemented in some cases.

Another thing that is important to prevent/reverse tissue calcification and is mentioned by Peat is adequate CO2. That's why 3 teaspoons a day of bicarbonate sodium (an hour after meals) was mentioned in a guide by someone who reversed hair loss (in his words it was because of its anti-candida property, I say why not both). Also bag breathing will help while you're still working on having a constant slow, controlled breathing. The shallow breathing/hyperventilation of stressed people is a sure way to deplete CO2 and increase calcification.

Endotoxin decreases serum IGFBP-3 and liver IGFBP-3 mRNA: comparison between Lewis and Wistar rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Estradiol, progesterone, and transforming growth factor alpha regulate insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) expression in mouse en... - PubMed - NCBI

IGFBP-3 Interacts with the Vitamin D Receptor in Insulin Signaling Associated with Obesity in Visceral Adipose Tissue. - PubMed - NCBI

Effects of environmental stress on mRNA and protein expression levels of steroid 5alpha-Reductase isozymes in adult rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI

The study on lower IFGBP-3 in young balding men isn't easy to find anymore, I think it has been suppressed in search results by Google because it is too much of a paradigm-shifting information since it partly nullifies the DHT theory (I mean, DHT plays a role but you can achieve the same results and more by focusing on estrogen, the root cause of chronically high DHT (stress) and other signs of sickness without the brain-damaging and anti-androgenic effects of DHT deficiency) and that would also shift the paradigm of prostate cancer since low IGFBP3 is also found with the condition. It's probably still there, I can tell you that it was done by Mcgill University, the subjects were men in their 20s and was published in either the 90s or early 00's. Calcified scalps of deceased bald people was a study funded by L'Oréal."

Last edited:

johnysummer

Thanks johnysummer, appreciated.
i ll try the baking soda. I guess it is to increase CO2 right?
Any idea to fix milk intolerance?
I've spent some time on the forum this afternoon and went through the thread 'The Cause of Baldness'.
"Elephanto did light fasts.( Lowers IGF-1 and blood returns to skin/hair rather than constantly digesting)
Elephanto did light jogs.( Blood flow, lympth movement)
Elephanto ate primarily pea/potatoes/rice/fruit
Elephanto regrew or reversed his hair and left the forum."

If true, I need to read more about Elephanto's regimen. What are your thoughts about this?

Just found this from him:
"Reposting ITT for future reference.

Finasteride helps with hair loss in 2 ways :

1. Finasteride/Dutasteride have potent antibacterial effects.
Finasteride Activity Against Candida Albicans

and

2. DHT is triggered by chronic stress, it in turn triggers estrogen. High DHT isn't desirable but rather a symptom of systemic sickness.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) Activates Estrogen Receptor Alpha

I don't really believe in sebum being the main cause, but it doesn't help. I have seen high testosterone men (roiding) who produce a lot of sebum with perfect hairlines. Calcified scalps are found in deceased people who suffered from baldness. IGFBP3 is significantly lower in young men balding than their non-balding counterparts. Estrogen, Endotoxins and Vitamin D deficiency inhibit IGFBP3 and cause tissue calcification. The calcification is the main cause, cutting out blood circulation to hair follicles (in a way that is the only that can explain the horseshoe pattern), and it might be only enabled by an improper (narrow) skull structure. This can be changed with Vitamin K2, Pregnenolone, Boron and perhaps physical actions like mewing and hard chewing which have theoretical proofs supporting such influence. Decalcification reverses hair loss, with agents like high dose Magnesium, MSM, Taurine, Vitamin K2, D, Zinc, Boron and actions like rinsing the scalp with Apple Cider Vinegar and scalp massaging (like someone mentioned, inversion/headstand will also help). Endotoxins do the most of their damage when they enter the bloodstream by cause of intestinal permeability, so the avoidance of gut irritants and sufficiency of Vitamin D should be prioritary and perhaps Glutamine has to be supplemented in some cases.

Another thing that is important to prevent/reverse tissue calcification and is mentioned by Peat is adequate CO2. That's why 3 teaspoons a day of bicarbonate sodium (an hour after meals) was mentioned in a guide by someone who reversed hair loss (in his words it was because of its anti-candida property, I say why not both). Also bag breathing will help while you're still working on having a constant slow, controlled breathing. The shallow breathing/hyperventilation of stressed people is a sure way to deplete CO2 and increase calcification.

Endotoxin decreases serum IGFBP-3 and liver IGFBP-3 mRNA: comparison between Lewis and Wistar rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Estradiol, progesterone, and transforming growth factor alpha regulate insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) expression in mouse en... - PubMed - NCBI

IGFBP-3 Interacts with the Vitamin D Receptor in Insulin Signaling Associated with Obesity in Visceral Adipose Tissue. - PubMed - NCBI

Effects of environmental stress on mRNA and protein expression levels of steroid 5alpha-Reductase isozymes in adult rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI

The study on lower IFGBP-3 in young balding men isn't easy to find anymore, I think it has been suppressed in search results by Google because it is too much of a paradigm-shifting information since it partly nullifies the DHT theory (I mean, DHT plays a role but you can achieve the same results and more by focusing on estrogen, the root cause of chronically high DHT (stress) and other signs of sickness without the brain-damaging and anti-androgenic effects of DHT deficiency) and that would also shift the paradigm of prostate cancer since low IGFBP3 is also found with the condition. It's probably still there, I can tell you that it was done by Mcgill University, the subjects were men in their 20s and was published in either the 90s or early 00's. Calcified scalps of deceased bald people was a study funded by L'Oréal."

I de suggest that you drop the DHT reason hypothesis. Most people claim is dht, thus testosterone although most people that loose their hair are low T males. Myself included I use to loose hair when I was more estrogenic than androgenic. I have also recently read that raised dht in people with hairloss was a system response to high estrogen. I think Elephanto is the most informed guy on the topic in this forum. The magnesium citrate and ACV rinse I mentioned is from his regime. I think that his diet is a bit extreme and does not directly support the "metabolic kind" of diet.
I think the best thing to do (what I am currently doing for the last 3 months) is to follow decalcification principles and put all your effort on maximizing metabolism. For me this is the hardest thing. I am pretty convinced that gradually hair come back as T3 goes up, thus the problem is to correct thyroid rather than target the hairloss as a problem by itself.
I would say that you should see how it goes in a pro metabolic diet. Zero pufa, high carb (sugar:starch at least 2:1), lowish fat (a little red meat + coconut oil + lots of cheese). When I first started this, just dieting I saw velus hairs after 2 weeks. Every morning count tmps + pulse. See what works and what doesnt and keep going.

PS
If you are a milk lover ,probably one thing to consider is Elephanto's opinion on IGF-1. I have it in my plans to avoid milk for a week or two to see if it makes a difference.

OP
A

aidan2021

I de suggest that you drop the DHT reason hypothesis. Most people claim is dht, thus testosterone although most people that loose their hair are low T males. Myself included I use to loose hair when I was more estrogenic than androgenic. I have also recently read that raised dht in people with hairloss was a system response to high estrogen. I think Elephanto is the most informed guy on the topic in this forum. The magnesium citrate and ACV rinse I mentioned is from his regime. I think that his diet is a bit extreme and does not directly support the "metabolic kind" of diet.
I think the best thing to do (what I am currently doing for the last 3 months) is to follow decalcification principles and put all your effort on maximizing metabolism. For me this is the hardest thing. I am pretty convinced that gradually hair come back as T3 goes up, thus the problem is to correct thyroid rather than target the hairloss as a problem by itself.
I would say that you should see how it goes in a pro metabolic diet. Zero pufa, high carb (sugar:starch at least 2:1), lowish fat (a little red meat + coconut oil + lots of cheese). When I first started this, just dieting I saw velus hairs after 2 weeks. Every morning count tmps + pulse. See what works and what doesnt and keep going.

PS
If you are a milk lover ,probably one thing to consider is Elephanto's opinion on IGF-1. I have it in my plans to avoid milk for a week or two to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks a lot again Johny for your inputs!
I will follow decalcification instructions: magnesium citrate + ACV rinse + K2 (via liver) + D (via supplement) + detumescence therapy (massages) + adequate CO2 (baking soda)
For pro metabolic diet, does high carb (sugar:starch at least 2:1) mean avoiding rice & pasta as much as i can?
Then how can i get the carbs? Fruits only? Pure sugar?
I don't mind quitting milk as i am intolerant. And i can replace with cheese.

Zigzag

PS
I agree. I lost the most hair when I was actually in the worst shape body wise and borderline estrogenic. I'd understand that the recession hit because my body pumped high amounts of DHT to counter the estrogen but other secondary male traits didn't show that. Sparse beard, gyno and so on. There's definitely some "genetic" predisposition to AGA, because it runs in my family (uncles, cousins), but looking at my ultra androgenic father who has nw1 at 50 and my 80y old grandpa who hasn't lost a single strand of hair (literally, he's nw0) I know that my complete ignorance in early 20s got me where I'm at, nw2 retrograde with thinning sides. Oh I also have thyroid issues.

johnysummer

Thanks a lot again Johny for your inputs!
I will follow decalcification instructions: magnesium citrate + ACV rinse + K2 (via liver) + D (via supplement) + detumescence therapy (massages) + adequate CO2 (baking soda)
For pro metabolic diet, does high carb (sugar:starch at least 2:1) mean avoiding rice & pasta as much as i can?
Then how can i get the carbs? Fruits only? Pure sugar?
I don't mind quitting milk as i am intolerant. And i can replace with cheese.

Baking soda is good for endotoxin also in addition to the CO2. I am not sure about the mechanism, I think its because its highly alkaline and the gut has to balance the ph thus producing more stomach acid. No, dont completely avoid starches, unless you had a serious endotoxin problem. Maybe at first 1-2 weeks go low about 15% total calories form starch 35% sugar etc and after 2 weeks of baking soda I think you will be fine. Also carrot salad helps with endotoxin and enstrogen a lot. The carbs is from sugar in basicaly all your drinks + a ton of fruits + some potatos and some rice. Avoid wheat completely if possible. Apart from the endoxins, wheat blocks mineral absorption. Also protein must be fairly high. For me its at least 110g daily and I weight 78kilos.
I forgot something that was very important in my case. Consume HIGH calories consistently. Do the cronometer counting process at maintenance and add 400-500 calories to that. Dont worry as long as you consume lowish fats and do mild strength training you wont get fat. You will probably get more muscular. When you are at a state of fixing the metabolism even a mild glycogen depletion can cause stress.

Vins7

PS
What are your sources of sugar? Do you try to avoid fiber?

johnysummer

What are your sources of sugar? Do you try to avoid fiber?
My sugar intake comes from sucrose in my drinks (OJ, coffee, some milk) and from fruit. As I said I am not going full mode restriction in my diet and I dont try to completely avoid anything except PUFAs. I consume medium fiber around 20-30g daily according to cronometer. You cant be super strict and consistent at the same time thats why I think is better to stick with something that works for you long term.

GorillaHead

Reading things like this really we have to ask ourselves just how many people have experienced dandruff and was it during a time if recession and excess shedding. Scientific community claims dandruff does not cause aga. Maybe not in women. But perhaps in men. Just food for thought

Vins7

My sugar intake comes from sucrose in my drinks (OJ, coffee, some milk) and from fruit. As I said I am not going full mode restriction in my diet and I dont try to completely avoid anything except PUFAs. I consume medium fiber around 20-30g daily according to cronometer. You cant be super strict and consistent at the same time thats why I think is better to stick with something that works for you long term.
It's a good asvice.
How many fruits a day? I'm trying to eat more sugar now.

johnysummer

It's a good asvice.
How many fruits a day? I'm trying to eat more sugar now.

The calorie intake, thus the amount of sugar/fruit consumption, depends on your current weight + metabolic state. For example I weight 78 kg and cronometer says I need 2300 calories for maintenace. Given the fact that I am training 3-4 times per week I calculate around 2700, so I add 400-500 to that to keep my energy levels high and be full of micronutrients. For me 3000+ calories is the minimum and steadily improve my morning temps and pulse roughly every week. Keep in mind that I have also raised that amount the past 4-5 months as metabolism gets better. 4 months ago I was eating 2500 calories and was full of energy and now if I eat under 3000 I feel tired and crash during the day. Its something you have to figure out for yourself depending on your current needs and raise calories as you improve metabolism. About sugar I de say 30-35% of your total caloric intake works fine.
Also, I want to add that protein and fats are also important. Saturated fat is also a good energy source, easily metabolised and helps you produce androgens. Although this is true, for some people minimum fat would work better. If you have been stacking a lot of PUFAs through out your life you may need a period of very low fat intake so you can deplete that. I was a heavy nut and fish eater for a long time and at first stages I had to lower fat intake significantly. But when I did energy levels starting to rise withing the first week.