Which one do you prefer to increase your copper level?

• Total voters
OP
L

Logan-

Here is my e-mail to RP this morning about oysters....

ME:
I know you recommend shellfish once a week, maybe more now, are oysters recommended more than once a week, and how many would be healthy until they become too much?

RAY PEAT
"More than one serving of oyster per week might provide too much iron."

ME:
Ok! How many regular sized oysters would you consider one serving?

RAY PEAT:
"I think two or three are enough."

Olmec

coconut water
So Coconut water powder is also available (aka dehydrated/freeze dried) which bypasses the need for (ideally) fresh Coconut water. Various online sources - some pure, others contain maltodextrin or silicon dioxide...

Last edited:

Olmec

Important context/relationship for vitamin C (ascorbate) & copper:

This is the key to understanding ascorbate's role in copper metabolism.
In all of the papers I just cited, the authors hypothesize that copper deficiency and scurvy are largely the same disease because they share incredibly similar symptom profiles. This makes sense in light of ascorbate's role, which is perfectly elucidated by one of the paper titles: Ascorbate Enhances Copper Transport from Ceruloplasmin into Human Cells! Ascorbate is helping ceruloplasmin in the final hand-off to the cells, so that copper can complete its job as a co-factor in a multitude of enzymatic processes.

You know how vitamin C is important for collagen cross-linking? Guess what, so is copper.
You know how vitamin C improves the endothelium/vasculature? Guess what, so does copper.
I posit that ascorbate (when taken appropriately) will actually improve anemia. Copper supplementation has been shown to solve anemia in some cases.

Unfortunately, we do not have very much data about the most optimal time to take ascorbate. There is just the one study looking at 75 minutes pre-food and 75 minutes post-food. Most studies have not looked at the timing of events and this is why the understanding of the copper hand-off has gone under the radar. As you can see, it actually flips Morley's hypothesis on its head! Ascorbate improves copper metabolism, regardless of whether it comes from food!

Recommendation:
The ascorbate dose 75 minutes post-food is where the increased enzyme activity took place. So perhaps an hour after a meal, when copper is freshly circulating, but before it heads to the liver for storage?
@youngsinatra
@Blue Water
@Ippodrom47 @Motif

Last edited:

Jennifer

So Coconut water powder is also available (aka dehydrated/freeze dried) which bypasses the need for (ideally) fresh Coconut water. Various online sources - some pure, others contain maltodextrin or silicon dioxide...

I used to keep powdered coconut water in the pantry for when I couldn’t get it fresh, mainly during a blizzard. IMO, it’s not as good as some of the fresh bottled coconut waters on the market like Harmless Harvest or the raw coconut water I order from a company online—Symbiosis—but it’s a good option when fresh isn’t available.

OP
L

Logan-

@Dan W, in his website toxinless, suggests purebulk’s copper gluconate powder.

“Suggestion for copper gluconate powder:
PureBulk Copper Gluconate (Powder)
Available on PureBulk
Positives:
  • silica-free / silicon-dioxide-free
  • stearic acid-free / magnesium stearate-free
  • hypromellose-free / hydroxypropyl methylcellulose-free
Negatives:
(none)
All ingredients:
Copper gluconate.
A recent COA is available.”

What do you think of this product? It’d be somewhat hard to measure 2 milligrams of copper every day. Other than that, the product and the price seem good.

OP
L

Logan-

Nobody's spamming MitoSynergy, this is the form of copper you want to use, not oxidized copper 2. If you don't want to get MitoSynergy, then I recommend you get your copper from food sources that are high in copper. Things like animal organ meats, cocoa, nuts, certain vegetables, etc. (do a forum search, there are plenty of recommendations). Unfortunately, there is no copper supplement on the market except MitoSynergy that is the food source copper 1, that I know of. All other chelated forms of copper in supplements are oxidized copper 2, what plants use, but not copper 1 , which is what our bodies use best. Ingesting too much copper 2, whether from supplements or from water pipes, etc., will end up making you copper toxic, and then copper deficient at the same time, since copper 2 will prevent copper 1 from getting into the cell. This is what I have learned, if it is not accurate, I can stand to be corrected.

Just drink some coffee with the liver and it will significantly reduce iron absorption.

I mentioned liver not to be a smart-**** but because I think it's the best option. People seem to have an obsession with supplements (I am prone to this myself). Supplementing with metals seems risky to me.

Sure. This forum is actually dedicated to Ray's work though, so we should at least consider it. It's called the "Raypeatforum" after all, not the "20 reports of random people forum".

Ray thinks that the color loss of hair might be caused by an accumulation of iron in the tissues causing a wasting of oxygen and suggests that oxygen is needed for making melanin. He says, "Copper is involved in a process which restores iron to its non-toxic form."

Ray also mentions experimenting with the use of a copper pan as a means of acquiring supplemental copper (I guess it would be copper oxide?). Using the pan, avoiding iron, increasing vitamin A, increasing DHEA and pregnenolone, rubbing vitamin A and vitamin E, as well as copper acetate, into the skin near his white hairs, he was able to turn hairs that were consistently white on his body (eyebrows) into hairs that were coloured. He talks about this in one of his books. The chapter is called "Restoring Hair Color".

The most cost effective is the powder, however, you have to spoon the dose out with a micro-spoon (included). It's not that bad when you get used to it. I believe one spoon is 1 mg of copper. With the powder and the capsules, you have to make sure they are in a dry environment. If not, the copper will oxidize to a copper 2, which is not what you want. Also, you may want to think about drinking water from a copper vessel. That water is considered copper 0, which is supposed to be alright to consume along with copper 1 (according to Charles Barker). If you go on Facebook there is a group called Bioavailable copper that will give additional info. Here is more info aboot the ancient practice done by the Egyptians and Indians of drinking water from a copper vessel: Copper Water Bottle | Ayurveda | Health Benefits | Alkaline Water

Metals can ionize and leach into water,or food, whatever is the case, especially in an acid medium. You can get nickel out of stainless steel, iron out of cast iron, aluminum out of aluminum cookware, etc. Or, for that matter, xenoestrogens out of plastic, toxic byproducts from non-stick teflon, etc. This is not pseudo-science. Actually, when water is stored in a copper vessel it only provdes about 0.2 mg of copper, which is not enough to supply a diet that should have maybe 2 to 3 mg/day. Same goes for silver, ancient people stored liquids in silver containers because silver is antibacterial and purified their water, copper does the same thing, that is why Egyptians and Indians stored water in copper. Do a search on copper and antibacterial and you will see modern methods for using copper to kill germs, copper door knobs, copper used in hospitals, etc. Romans got sick becasue their vessels were made of lead, which leached into their water, wine, food, etc. So, I don't believe it is pseudo-science, however, I am not a scientist, and maybe someone else on the forum can add to this.

My understanding is because it is an ionized form of copper which can be absorbed better, plus when drinking it in the traditional way like the people from India do, it is done first thing in the AM on an empty stomach where it can sanitize the digestive system, without competion from other antagonistic nutrients. It is not a substitute for your daily copper intake that you would get from food, but an adjunct. Blog

To anyone interested: this is the insert to the MitoSynergy copper powder product, which explains their recommendation on how to use it.

I have not seen any feedback on the copper water regarding testing of copper/cerulo after drinking it, however, there is a lot of anecdotal testimonies, mostly from Indian people who have used this method for centuries. Copper is being used as a sanitizing metal, i.e. door knobs, etc., and I believe it may sanitize the water. Barker says it is alright, and I recently heard Morley Robbins say it was okay, but not the best way to get copper. Not sure what exactly copper 0 is, I would've thought it to be a copper 2 form, but they say not. If cost is not a problem, I would look into the dessicated beef liver capsules, I use the one from Perfect: Highest Quality Health Supplements - Acai Berry, Coconut Oil, Resveratrol, Spirulina & Chlorella, Rhodila Rosea This is the one Robbins recommends. Interesting to note though that one slice of liver can have up to 10 mg of copper, which makes two servings/week more than adequate. My problem is that I can't find organic grass-fed liver in my area, and I won't eat CAFO meats. I am going with Robbin's recommendations to get copper from food (or acceptable supps), and concentrate on eliminating things that stifle ceruloplasmin production (check his 'Root Cause Protocol', sans the cod liver oil, not sure why he likes that stuff, everything else makes sense) for now. If I find out anything more on the copper 0 or copper water, I will post it.

I haven't watched it recently, but if I recall, Charles is not saying copper 2 cant' be supplemented, just that it won't be utilized properly, with an increased risk of it being stored into tissues, re: copper toxicity. With this video, he doesn't site references, that I recall, you either trust his facts, or not. I couldn't find much in searches about copper 1 vs. copper 2, but it makes sense to me to go with the form found in food, not inorganic metals like chelated supplements or copper pipes, etc. I use beef liver for copper, and MitoSynergy on occasion, no real reason to get a chelated supplement when there are good forms readily available in food, and in MitoSynergy. Yes, MitoSynergy is expensive, but really, I don't think it is a necessary supplement if you are eating correctly, and not using copper antagonizing supplements like zinc, etc.

This is a very provocative thread. I did not know anything about the importance of the form of copper. I searched and found this recent article entitled "Avoiding Alzheimer’s disease: The important causative role of divalent copper ingestion"
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

The article makes a good case for getting the correct form of copper and also not getting too much copper from animal sources.

I do not have any specific recommendations. I get all the copper I need from food sources, mostly from beef liver and gelatin. I like the taste of liver and I drink a cup of coffee within an hour of eating it to reduce the amount of iron I absorb. Cronometer: Track nutrition & count calories is a good source for determining if you are getting enough copper in your normal diet. If not, you can strategically add foods that are high in copper. There is a list of such foods at copper. I would focus on foods that are also low in PUFA.

I am interested in avoiding Alzheimer's disease and so I am avoiding opportunities to take metallic copper in the form of supplements.

Divalent Copper as a Major Triggering Agent in Alzheimer's Disease. - PubMed - NCBI

ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE IS, AT LEAST IN PART, A COPPER-2 TOXICITY DISEASE • JARCP The Journal of Aging Research & Clinical Practice

Yes I believe you that you already had this problems beforehand. You can only eliminate so much copper every day though. And even if you were correct and you are currently not toxic in copper anymore (doubt it but Ill roll with it), you took half of the human body content of copper (humans have about 120mg at most of copper) for months.

This absolutely annihilates histamine levels, which play a significant role in keeping you motivated and having motivation for life as a whole. Histamine is an integral neurotransmitter for being involved in life and helping you achieve real-world goals.

OP
L

Logan-

Ray has said that 4oz of liver has 30mg of copper, which is our weekly requirement. So, I am taking 4mg copper gluconate daily and will post update in a month. I have some greying hairs that should get color restored from the copper supplementation.

Honeycomb

OP
L

Logan-

I randomly found this going against using the gluconate form of copper as a supp:

Lack of effects of copper gluconate supplementation - PubMed

Thanks, I will keep it mind. I think for me it might be doing something b/c when I was (foolishly) taking 12mg copper gluconate daily about a year ago, I started getting copperish taste in my mouth, my sweat smelled like copper, and I had terrible nausea too. So it was definitely getting absorbed, to the point of giving me copper toxicity. With 4mg a day I don;t get the nausea any more but also thyroid is a lot more under control now. So, if I don't see an effect in a month I will stop using it.

http://valtsus.blogspot.fi/2014/01/copp ... rient.html

has a paragraph on why copper should be from food not supplements, as from supplement it can bypass the liver and it would not be good to have elevated free serum copper.

Wish I could be more helpful with the exact reference,
but in an interview I listened to recently
Peat remarked that
trying to get metals via supplementation
is an especially bad thing to supplement.
Sorry, but I can't remember exactly why.
He said getting them through foods was much safer/more effective.

The experiment that had copper bypassing the liver was with atomic or ionic copper, which isn't necessarily the same as supplementing vs copper from food. Copper glycinate supplements bind the copper ion and satisfy the Cu electron imbalance, so should do a decent job of keeping the Cu atom from disassociating into ionic form in the stomach and intestine.

Copper bound to an amino acid is also known as a safe way to transport copper, though I'm damned if I can find the source where I read that. I suppose it is similar to being bound to a protein.

I've done no research on copper gluconate. I thought copper glycinate was good because glycine is one of the "good" amino acids.

It's a bit ironic that RP sort of approved copper bracelets in an email reply to someone. Copper bracelets would provide copper in the atomic or ionic form.

Haidut, did you ever see any positive effects from this copper experiment?

Yes, some reversal of grey hair on beard but nothing dramatic. Also, the copper pills gave me a rash couple of times so I stopped supplementing and now eat oysters and shrimp for copper.

Lamb liver has ton of copper. 1 cup is 22.5 mg or 1100% of daily requirements.

Nutritiondata says beef liver (15mg/100g raw) has more copper than lamb liver (10mg/100g raw).
Both pretty good, though. Fits with Peat's ~4-6 oz/week recommendation.

1 oz of calf liver has 3.3 mg copper and also 10000 iu vitA. I don't get it why somebody needs supplements with copper or vitA... These synthetic substances aren't safe as natural food.. 0n the other hand. For example vitE is understandable.. it's basically impossible to get enough on the Peat style diet. But vitA or Copper when we have available superfoods like liver... :eh:

I am using copper gluconate/citrate 2mg
There is also magnesium steareare in it. Any thoughts friends?

Is there a legit copper lab test that makes sense?

Thank you guys! Just love this place.

nice atlee - @haidut now after those experiments with copper , how much copper a day is optimal you think?

If it is supplements, I think 2mg daily is pretty safe. Up to 4mg daily may be tolerable but even at that dose some people get symptoms of copper toxicity. There have been human trials with 8mg daily lasting several months with no serious side effects but quite a few people got nausea and even vomiting from that dose. So, I'd stick to 2mg daily unless a deficiency is suspected. Copper succinate is a good way to get the copper into the cell and not have it float around and contribute to toxicity.

Aren't mushrooms very high in copper ?

@haidut, do you think if you boil mushrooms for 3 hours to deactivate posinous compounds as Peat suggests can leave most of the copper in the boiling water thus losing it ?

I think Peat suggests eating the liquid from cooking mushrooms too, because quite a bit of the nutrition ends up in the water?

Best source of copper by far is beef liver. Beef liver has cofactors mainly vitamin A, zinc, B vitamins etc.. They are important for ceruloplasmin. Without ceruloplasmin copper will be stored in the liver and become bio unavailable.. Chocolate hasn't none of that.. Everybody listen great info.. start about copper 34:00

Yes serum ceruloplasmin. Low ceruloplasmin= low usable copper... Serum copper is misleading. So only ceruloplasmin status can say something. Besides that only liver biopsy can show low copper stored in the liver or high copper in the liver.

Haidut, do you think there's any validity to making distinctions between copper(i) & copper(ii) in terms of bio-avalability and toxicity etc?

I've come across someone selling essentially copper(i) nicotinate, making the claim that copper(ii) compounds can't get into cells, but often copper(ii) is what are in supplements.
If this is true then presumably copper compounds found in shrimp, liver, oysters, goats milk (possibly chocolate) would be of the copper(i) type. I'm curious if anyone knows whether these valency differences are really expressed in animal copper vs plant like the man claims.

I think all copper gets absorbed and delivered into the cell. Similar for the infamous chromium(III) and chromium(VI) from the movie Erin Brokovich. The company PG&E claimed for years that chromium (VI) was safe because it cannot absorb. We all know how that ended.
That being said, certain copper salts do absorb better and inside the cell. The best one is copper from food, but if you have to supplement the second best is copper succinate. Peat wrote about succinic acid being really good at getting metals inside the cell and mentioned copper succinate as being one of the few forms of copper he would consider supplementing with if he had to take supplements.

Is that company mitosynergy by any chance?
I think what they are saying it that by being copper (I) is that it still has an electron to donate and most supplements are copper (II) so is already oxidised and has only 27 electrons, no more to donate for the likes of ATP!

It that 1 electron really that important?

Thanks Haidut, the comparison with Chromium is a thought provoking one.

That was the claim. For it to be true the same would have to apply to copper from food (animal products), but I wasn't able to determine that hence my question.

I think premature graying is due to stress. Low copper and/or high serotonin seem to be involved. I don't believe in genetic predispositions, even though good/bad conditions the parents lived through will usually leave an epigenetic imprint on the offspring, especially if they occurred in the first 1,000 days after conception. So, this means during pregnancy and for the first 2 years after birth. But even outside of that time period lifestyle of parents matters greatly for children's health.

The synopsis is that inorganic copper from metal, rock, etc. doesn't get into the cell to be utilized properly for enzymes, etc., but organic (copper 1) copper from plants does so and is metabolized and incorporated into the cell. Copper 2 (inorganic copper) is responsible for copper toxicity because it accumulates in tissues and outside of the cells blocking good copper from getting inside. This eventually ends up in ths syndrome of copper deficiency and copper toxicity at the same time, which is what a lot of people are dealing with. According to Barker, when you get enough copper 1, it eventually helps eliminate the toxic copper build-up of copper 2 and gives the cells what they need for ATP, antioxidant enzymes, etc. I am not a copper expert, these are his teachings, not mine, but it seems like sound scientific logic. I am sure though that most experts agree that minerals from plants are superior to inorganic minerals.

Ive taken all kinds of copper supps like bisgöycinate, Gluconate. All of them give me energy boost and all of them increased my ceruloplasmin on paper. I higly doubt there would be any difference. A mineral is a mineral and the body knows what to do if its healthy.
Its just companies like mito energy trying to make money

That is my suspicion as well. I think if ceruloplasmin increases then you must have increased the bio-compatible form of copper. I also think any chelated form of copper should be about the same as food form of copper, possibly safer? And if people legitimately see grey hairs reverse from a copper supplement, or experience reduction in joint pain - then that also must mean it is effective enough. If this is anything like the difference between heme iron and iron supplements - iron supplements may be safer as the body doesn’t absorb it as easily as heme (easy to get iron overload from heme sources) - I know some argue the opposite - but I’m not so sure.

Aspirin likely would prevent against copper toxicity, just like how it can protect from iron.

My ceruloplasmin went up. And also taking copper increased my serum zinc even though i didnt take zinc while opposite happened when i took zinc my serum zinc went down and i started feeling ***t. Theres a connection copper is needed for zinc metabolism. If the chelated or even other forms of copper didnt work then i wouldnt see so many of my health problems go away. I had really low ceruloplasmin and im 100% sure that was my problem. Mitoenergy is not worth the money. Just go normal chelated

Listen, im not endorsing this product or anything. But taking Copper 1 made such a difference esp compared to Copper 2 . Its crazy . I detoxed so hard the first two times that i only could take a fraction of a capsule. Its expensive but esp for people with lyme /candida it seems to work like a charm. There is one old lady in the copper facebook group and she struggled for years with lyme disease ,she says as long as she takes the copper she is symptom free.

Talked to Charlie yesterday. Asked about the powder, which is a good economic way to use his product. He said you can even mix it in coconut oil, but if you mix with powders make sure they're not hydroscopic powders. Moisture and heat will turn the copper 1 blue, and then it is no good. I think inositol powder would be good to mix it with, I am still researching what would be a good inexpensive base powder, any suggestions would be helpful.

Yes copper supplements raise ceruloplasmin. Ceruloplasmin is for copper like ferritin is for iron. Ceruloplasmin is made out of copper and 90% of the copper in your body is bound to ceruloplasmin. Cerulo in latin stands for blue just like copper is blue. And plasmin stands for plasma as in blood plasma. Blue blood. Ceruloplasmins job is to convert iron II into iron III which is the form your body uses. If you dont have enough ceruloplasmin or copper your body wont be able to use iron and you will store iron in tissue.

Serum ceruloplasmin protein expression and activity increases in iron-deficient rats and is further enhanced by higher dietary copper intake. - PubMed - NCBI

You increase ceruloplasmin by taking copper supplements i had low ceruloplasmin took 6-8mg of copper everyday for several months. My ceruloplasmin went from 15 to 33 and i feel great again. All my symptoms are gone. The fact that you have low ceruloplasmin shows you are copper deficienct. Serum copper doesnt mean anything its the copper you have in the blood right now. If you eat high copper food like cashew nuts then take a serum copper test 2 hours later it will be high. Same goes for serum iron. But markers like ferritin and ceruloplasmin which are storage proteins for iron and copper dont fluctuate so dramatically. They are reliable indicators. And having low ceruloplasmin is what makes you feel bad like joint aches, joint cracking in wrists, neck, upper back, low libido, fatigue to the point of nausea, hypothyroid, cold hands and feet. You need to eat copper to get ceruloplasmin up. Dont listen to ayuverdic website talking about copper toxicity and hair mineral analysis

Hi! I dont believe youre toxic or deficient. What's your iron status? Ferritin?
Whats your symptoms?
Vitamin A in the form of retinol is good to help produce ceruloplasmin binding more of your serun copper.
Induction of ceruloplasmin synthesis by retinoic acid in rats: influence of dietary copper and vitamin A status. - PubMed - NCBI

Your vitamin D seems low. Should optimally be at 70. Magnesium increases vitamin D

Quotes from: Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity

OP
L

Logan-

Lack of effects of copper gluconate supplementation​

W B Pratt et al. Am J Clin Nutr. 1985 Oct.

Abstract​

A double-blind study was done giving 10 mg of copper/day as copper gluconate or placebo capsules for 12 wk. The seven subjects receiving copper gluconate had no change in the level of copper in the serum, urine, or hair. There was also no change in the levels of zinc or magnesium. There was also no significant change in levels of hematocrit, triglyceride, SGOT, GGT, LDH, cholesterol, or alkaline phosphatase. The side effects of nausea, diarrhea, and heartburn were the same in the subjects receiving copper gluconate and subjects receiving placebo capsules.

OP
L

Logan-

Aren't mushrooms very high in copper ?

@haidut, do you think if you boil mushrooms for 3 hours to deactivate posinous compounds as Peat suggests can leave most of the copper in the boiling water thus losing it ?

I think Peat suggests eating the liquid from cooking mushrooms too, because quite a bit of the nutrition ends up in the water?
What tara says is very important. The liquid with which button mushrooms are cooked is valuable for copper (and other beneficial matters of mushrooms), and should be consumed; not discarded.

OP
L

Logan-

Ceruloplasmin should be tested primarily; not serum or hair copper.

Yes copper supplements raise ceruloplasmin. Ceruloplasmin is for copper like ferritin is for iron. Ceruloplasmin is made out of copper and 90% of the copper in your body is bound to ceruloplasmin. Cerulo in latin stands for blue just like copper is blue. And plasmin stands for plasma as in blood plasma. Blue blood. Ceruloplasmins job is to convert iron II into iron III which is the form your body uses. If you dont have enough ceruloplasmin or copper your body wont be able to use iron and you will store iron in tissue.

Serum ceruloplasmin protein expression and activity increases in iron-deficient rats and is further enhanced by higher dietary copper intake. - PubMed - NCBI

You increase ceruloplasmin by taking copper supplements i had low ceruloplasmin took 6-8mg of copper everyday for several months. My ceruloplasmin went from 15 to 33 and i feel great again. All my symptoms are gone. The fact that you have low ceruloplasmin shows you are copper deficienct. Serum copper doesnt mean anything its the copper you have in the blood right now. If you eat high copper food like cashew nuts then take a serum copper test 2 hours later it will be high. Same goes for serum iron. But markers like ferritin and ceruloplasmin which are storage proteins for iron and copper dont fluctuate so dramatically. They are reliable indicators. And having low ceruloplasmin is what makes you feel bad like joint aches, joint cracking in wrists, neck, upper back, low libido, fatigue to the point of nausea, hypothyroid, cold hands and feet. You need to eat copper to get ceruloplasmin up. Dont listen to ayuverdic website talking about copper toxicity and hair mineral analysis

"...the presence of a certain amount of one nutrient often increases or decreases the amount of other nutrients needed." -Ray Peat

OP
L

Logan-

It’s stated on Purebulk’s website that only 13 percent of copper gluconate is elemental copper. So, in order to get 2 mg of elemental copper one would need about 15 mg of copper gluconate.
What I wonder is, they say
Copper ≥13%
Gluconic Acid ≥80%
What may the other matters in it be, impurities?
IMG_8142.jpeg

By the way, does anybody know what happened to @Dan W ? He is the founder of toxinless.com and he hasn’t updated the website for a long time now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals