Copper Deficiency

sunraiser

Effects of exercise on iron and copper metabolism in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Effects of exercise on iron and copper metabolism in rats.

We studied parameters of iron and copper status in male and female weanling rats that swan 1 1/2 hours per day, 5 days per week or were sedentary for 9 weeks. Final body weights of exercised males were lower (P less than 0.005) than sedentary males, although food intakes were comparable. Blood hemoglobin concentrations and hematocrit levels were increased in the exercising males compared to the sedentary males (P less than 0.025). Serum ceruloplasmin levels were significantly elevated in the exercised group. There was a trend toward decreased iron and increased copper in the spleens, livers and hearts of the exercised males. Total fecal iron was increased and, therefore, apparent iron absorption was decreased in the male exercise group as calculated from an iron and copper balance study conducted during week 8 of the exercise period. In female rats there were no effects of exercise in the parameters measured. Whether the different responses of males and females are due to sexual differences or a relative lack of exercise in the female rats which floated easily is not known. Elevated ceruloplasmin levels may be related to the stress of exercise. The results of this study indicate that exercise produces an alteration in iron and copper distribution and/or iron reutilization, absorption or excretion.

Found this interesting and this seems a useful enough place to post it.

Yes, it's rats so we can't put too much faith in it, however increased copper metabolism and iron excretion via exercise is intriguing.

The male / female difference is interesting to me, too. This is extrapolating a lot, but it seems to me that females thrive more in modern day sedentry lifestyles.

Not that they should be sedentry, just they seem better able to sustain function.

maillol

Do you feel worse or better with more copper? There's no point hypothesizing or giving credence to calculations of copper fractions until you know this first.

I was very copper deficient due to estrogen deficiency for a number of years (I am male). Mercury chelation and Vitamin D has fixed both problems. I wasted so much time and effort believing people's opinions about copper and its supposed antagonists/synergists. The only thing that mattered is what affected my situation empirically and little of what is written on the web was relevant to me.

I found that when copper deficient, 1-3g molybdenum/day was a very quick way to confirm how terribly low I was. Now it isn't an issue.
What is the connection with copper and estrogen deficiency?

maillol

Hello mouse. This is very interesting to me. Where did you find the connection between estrogen deficiency and copper? What symptoms did you get when you took molybdenum?

RWilly

Hello mouse. This is very interesting to me. Where did you find the connection between estrogen deficiency and copper? What symptoms did you get when you took molybdenum?

Just a side note that molybdenum causes a copper deficiency in agricultural animals.

Ihor

"Effect of Estrogen on Serum and Tissue Levels of Copper and Zinc"
Abstract:
Estrogen along with progestogen is the most widely used form of contraceptive by women. Its use in any dose, form or route (estrogen meaning) has been shown to increase serum copper and ceruloplasmin levels in humans and rats. However, its effect on plasma zinc levels is not established unequivocally. We demonstrated in female Long-Evans-Hooded rats that 4 weeks after implantation with 17 ß-estradiol their serum copper and ceruloplasmin and brain copper levels increased while hepatic copper levels decreased significantly. Kidney copper levels increased transitorily after 2 weeks but not after 4 weeks. Zinc levels were affected only in the liver of these animals. It may be concluded that estrogen therapy depletes hepatic stores of these elements with abnormal accumulation of copper in the brain. Health implications of these changes need further investigation.

"Comparative Effects of Estradiol, Progesterone and Testosterone on The Level of Rat Serum Ceruloplasmin"
Summary:
Ceruloplasmin, a serum alpha-2-globulin with oxidase activity, plays an important role in the metabolism of iron. Following the treatment of animals with the daily doses o 1.6 mg/kg estradiol, 6 mg/kg progesterone and 8 mg/kg testosterone for 15 days, serum ceruloplasmin concentration was elevated 57, and 22 percent respectively. Administration of estradiol for 30, 45 or 60 days led to an increase in the enzyme activity by 92, 77 and 63 percent respectively. Animals receiving either progesterone or testosterone for longer period up to 60 days did not show any significant changes in their serum ceruloplasmin levels. The effects of these steroid hormones on ceruloplasmin activity have been discussed.

Last edited:

golder

Anyone think it would be safe to sprinkle some copper sulphate in my bath?

Daniil

golder

Would anyone be able to help me understand the difference between the Copper GHK peptide and the Copper CHK?

Blue Water

Do you feel worse or better with more copper? There's no point hypothesizing or giving credence to calculations of copper fractions until you know this first.

I was very copper deficient due to estrogen deficiency for a number of years (I am male). Mercury chelation and Vitamin D has fixed both problems. I wasted so much time and effort believing people's opinions about copper and its supposed antagonists/synergists. The only thing that mattered is what affected my situation empirically and little of what is written on the web was relevant to me.

I found that when copper deficient, 1-3g molybdenum/day was a very quick way to confirm how terribly low I was. Now it isn't an issue.
How did you chelate mercury?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals