IdeaLabs Service - Mineral Analysis (hair and/or (toe)nail)

Mito

since nails show a longer term average levels (1+ month) and show data from the past (2-3 months ago)
Wouldn‘t a typical toe nail sample reflect average levels from about 7 or 8 months ago? Maybe you are assuming a faster growth rate? Or maybe I‘m thinking about this wrong?

From a study I found, toe nails grow on average 1.62 mm per month. So in a typical example a big toe nail is 15 mm long (that‘s the entire nail length measured from base at toe to the tip before clipping). If assuming a 1.62 mm/month growth rate, the tip of the nail would have started at the base 9.3 months ago (15mm/1.62mm per month).

tastyfood

Wouldn‘t a typical toe nail sample reflect average levels from about 7 or 8 months ago? Maybe you are assuming a faster growth rate? Or maybe I‘m thinking about this wrong?

From a study I found, toe nails grow on average 1.62 mm per month. So in a typical example a big toe nail is 15 mm long (that‘s the entire nail length measured from base at toe to the tip before clipping). If assuming a 1.62 mm/month growth rate, the tip of the nail would have started at the base 9.3 months ago (15mm/1.62mm per month).

It was recommended to me to put a mark at the bottom of the nail with a Sharpie to track how long it takes for the mark to traverse the nail. I did that, on the big toenail. After three months, the mark had barely passed the half point of the nail bed. It looks like growth depends on metabolism, but 3 months for the nail to fully traverse seems highly unlikely.

You can try this for yourself and see.

With that, I agree with you that when I had my nail analyzed, the results probably indicated levels from 7 to 8 months in the past, which is very confusing to interpret. I have no idea what was going on with my schedule and routine 8 months before I sent the nail sample. For that reason, I now prefer to send hair samples that I can, with guarantees, know they reflect exactly the time frame I want analyzed.

Last edited:

L_C

If you have lot of arsenic in your body, it's possible it's not from rice or apple juice but naturally the area you live can contain that.

Recently I learned that granite areas contain lot of arsenic. You can use this website ewg.org to learn what's in your water. The water utilities can't always filter all of it out.

Waynish

What is the analysis/detection method used to detect the various minerals? Is that public information?

Smitty

Has the mineral analysis been discontinued? I only see steroid or thyroid analysis under the bioanalysis section @haidut

tastyfood

Has the mineral analysis been discontinued? I only see steroid or thyroid analysis under the bioanalysis section @haidut
Nice catch. Also wishing there was an update about some of the newer things being tested in the future like serotonin.

Smitty

For anyone wondering, the mineral service is expected to be back up and running early January.

From Yulia: "Yes, we still have it but the machine doing the analysis is undergoing annual renovation/testing so we stopped accepting orders for couple of weeks in order to avoid creating a backlog and delays. We should have the mineral analysis open for ordering again in early January."