IdeaLabs Service - Mineral Analysis (hair and/or (toe)nail)

Lejeboca

Does silicon dioxide reduce aluminium?
It's not bioavailable. This is a good thread on what Si forms are (orthosilicic acid and its polymers) Orthosilicic Acid Removes Aluminum From The Brains, Prevents Alzheimer's?

Also this paper: Oligomeric but not monomeric silica prevents aluminum absorption in humans - PubMed

Its conclusion: The oligomeric, high-aluminum-affinity form of soluble silica reduces aluminum availability from the human gastrointestinal tract. Its potential role in the amelioration of aluminum toxicity in other biological systems requires attention.

tastyfood

Here are my results of two tests side-by-side with ~3 months between the tests.

Things I've done to decrease the toxic load:
* Stopped sublingual Vitamin D supplementing. [Is Vitamin D Supplementation Even Neccessary]
* Started Glechoma Hederacea (ground ivy) fresh tops tincture 80% alcohol (5 drops daily in the morning)
* Stopped eating canned oysters.
* Started to eat more cooked greens (parsley and asparagus mostly).
* Started to supplement with Magnoil from Idealabs (3-4 drops 2-3x per week).

Going forward, still have to work on Al and Ti; I will decrease glechoma frequency to 2-3 times per week; reintroduce some seafood; I am getting UVB VitD now too.

Do you think 3 months was too early to test? It looks like it could take 3 months for the tissues to start excreting some of that Al. In my case, I'm thinking that it would make sense to do 3 months of magnesium malate, cut the nail, then let it grow for another month to test, while still taking magnesium malate.

cs3000

I started increasing my malic acid intake from natural sources a bit (a few pears per week) too per Comparative effects of several chelating agents on the toxicity, distribution and excretion of aluminium - PubMed .
However, from this paper: "From the chelating agents tested, only malic acid, citric acid and DFOA partially effective in reducing the acute toxicity of aluminium. Notwithstanding, malic acid caused a significant increase in brain and bone aluminium concentration, and this may be considered a potentially harmful effect."
ty. thats a really high P value for the brain result. probability of result being to chance <50% (should be <5% max). wonder why. there's some odd stuff with that study. using different aluminium doses for the groups etc, and administered acutely with the acids shortly after.
there's another study where they administered it for weeks first to let it settle in, which showed malic acid increased excretions of aluminium in feces & urine & all tissues including bone & brain

Citric, malic and succinic acids as possible alternatives to deferoxamine in aluminum toxicity

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/15563658808995398?journalCode=ictx19

malic acid aluminium.png

Here are my results of two tests side-by-side with ~3 months between the tests.
[SPOILER="

Things I've done to decrease the toxic load:
* Stopped sublingual Vitamin D supplementing. [Is Vitamin D Supplementation Even Neccessary]
* Started Glechoma Hederacea (ground ivy) fresh tops tincture 80% alcohol (5 drops daily in the morning)
* Stopped eating canned oysters.
* Started to eat more cooked greens (parsley and asparagus mostly).
* Started to supplement with Magnoil from Idealabs (3-4 drops 2-3x per week).

Going forward, still have to work on Al and Ti; I will decrease glechoma frequency to 2-3 times per week; reintroduce some seafood; I am getting UVB VitD now too.

if i'm thinking right then it's 3 months between your tests, but the nail test shows levels from 2-3 months before. so the first test was T-2or3 months, & your second test 3 months later would have shown results close to or the same as levels you had at the time u first posted (not levels from after you made the changes).
meaning the drop in metals you saw could have been from things u did before the list of stuff you changed instead of from those, if the ~2-3 month time lag is accurate, unless it showed you that 1 month difference

so people testing at month 3 after would see 0 months of change or 1 month change. by this would have to wait 5 months from the first test to really see if an intervention worked for this stuff, to solidify a couple months of change

also @haidut how did you figure it being a ~2-3 month time lag?

Last edited:

tastyfood

I wanted to post my latest results here since a lot of users have been following this thread.

I sent another nail sample to see the effect of magnesium malate supplementation on lowing aluminum. I also got updated nutritional elements results

1663029400307.png

Magnesium malate (400mg per day for 2 and half months) seems to have cut my aluminum to a third. It was 18+ 3 months ago.
I am now seeing some uranium, cadmium, and lead. Lead was below the limit of detection the last time. I have no idea where it's coming from.

1663029442414.png

My calcium is still up. I think the heavy metals are displacing it from my bones. My magnesium is a lot lower than the last time after supplementing it, would love to know why. Potassium is still up like for many other users in the forum. Sodium went up by a lot and I think it has to do with all the baking soda I've been taking. Sulfur is now below range and I have no idea what that means.

1663029487190.png

The ratios are more balanced than the last time. Even Fe/Cu is better despite being above range. Interested in finally lowering potassium so Na/K can go up.

Tagging @Lejeboca since they asked in the other thread.

Last edited:

cs3000

Magnesium malate (400mg per day for 2 and half months) seems to have cut my aluminum to a third. It was 18+ 3 months ago.
I am now seeing some uranium, cadmium, and lead. Lead was below the limit of detection the last time. I have no idea where it's coming from.

My calcium is still up. I think the heavy metals are displacing it from my bones. My magnesium is a lot lower than the last time after supplementing it, would love to know why.

let's say 3 months gave you change from 2 months ago because of the lag in how far back nails show, and u said you were supplementing for 2 and a half months. That would give you 2 weeks worth of changes showing up in the test. Or showing none of the change from supplementation if it was a 3 month lag - the results are from 2-3 months in the past according to haidut , so that would be results showing your levels around the time you took the first test
which explains the magnesium result but not the aluminium oddly , know anything else that could have lowered this? Taken / done from 3 months before your first test to the time of the first test
Silica and citric acid are some more that work on this too apparently

Last edited:

cs3000

For mineral testing, the age of nails probably does not matter much, at least for a few months. It's just that you'd have to add that additional time to the ~3 month lag in terms of what the results map to - i.e. if you give us nails that were cut 2 months ago then the results would show mineral status 5 (3+2) months ago.

tastyfood

let's say 3 months gave you change from 2 months ago because of the lag in how far back nails show, and u said you were supplementing for 2 and a half months. That would give you 2 weeks worth of changes showing up in the test. Or showing none of the change from supplementation if it was a 3 month lag - the results are from 2-3 months in the past according to haidut , so that would be results showing your levels around the time you took the first test
which explains the magnesium result but not the aluminium oddly , know anything else that could have lowered this? Taken / done from 3 months before your first test to the time of the first test
Silica and citric acid are some more that work on this too apparently

Yes. You are right. I've been looking at the timelines the wrong way. I finally understand how this works. At best, the test probably shows 2 weeks worth of changes like you said.

Basically these results are more of the same, from a different months, but without really being able to check the effect of the interventions.

I am not aware of anything else that I'm doing that could have targeted the aluminum outside of the things I do regularly like milk, aspirin, coffee, orange juice...

tastyfood

how did you figure it being a ~2-3 month time lag?

3 months is how long it takes for the nail to traverse to the tip, at which point you will have to wait at least a month to be able to cut enough sample to send it to Idealabs.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I wanted to post my latest results here since a lot of users have been following this thread.

I sent another nail sample to see the effect of magnesium malate supplementation on lowing aluminum. I also got updated nutritional elements results

View attachment 42103

View attachment 42105
My calcium is still up. I think the heavy metals are displacing it from my bones. My magnesium is a lot lower than the last time after supplementing it, would love to know why. Potassium is still up like for many other users in the forum. Sodium went up by a lot and I think it has to do with all the baking soda I've been taking. Sulfur is now below range and I have no idea what that means.

View attachment 42106
The ratios are more balanced than the last time. Even Fe/Cu is better despite being above range. Interested in finally lowering potassium so Na/K can go up.

Tagging @Lejeboca since they asked in the other thread.
Glutathione enhances heavy metal detoxification in hair making it seem like your getting exposed to more heavy metals. But your body is only able to get rid of it now.
Magnesium can increase glutathione.

tastyfood

Glutathione enhances heavy metal detoxification in hair making it seem like your getting exposed to more heavy metals. But your body is only able to get rid of it now.
Magnesium can increase glutathione.

Thanks. Can the same be said for nail? these results were for nail. I'm waiting for new hair results, so it'd be interesting to see more about your comment.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks. Can the same be said for nail? these results were for nail. I'm waiting for new hair results, so it'd be interesting to see more about your comment.
Yes, nail, hair, pee, poop, sweat, etc. Glutathione enhances detoxification via all pathways.
It wouldn't make sense if other toxins went up while nothing in your diet or lifestyle changed, unless it's via enhanced detox.

tastyfood

Yes, nail, hair, pee, poop, sweat, etc. Glutathione enhances detoxification via all pathways.
It wouldn't make sense if other toxins went up while nothing in your diet or lifestyle changed, unless it's via enhanced detox.

Would you say then that there are times when one needs to take the results with a grain of salt? For example, look at what happened to me with lead. I went from undetectable levels to above range for lead in a matter of 2-3 months. For the higher lead result in nail, could it be that I did something that enhanced detoxification, and the body went and scavenged lead from somewhere, and some of that excretion was seen in nail?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Would you say then that there are times when one needs to take the results with a grain of salt? For example, look at what happened to me with lead. I went from undetectable levels to above range for lead in a matter of 2-3 months. For the higher lead result in nail, could it be that I did something that enhanced detoxification, and the body went and scavenged lead from somewhere, and some of that excretion was seen in nail?
I definitely think so yes. If the body can't detox, you won't see it in the nails and hair. It's best to look at the full picture. Even with no heavy metals in hair and nails, did you have inflammation, low testosterone, insulin resistance, skin issues, low energy, etc? If so, then those metals could have likely played a role. Now you're likely doing better while metals are going up. Which is good since it's being excreted.

tastyfood

I got some new results to share, this time from beard hair. Seems like a viable method to send a sample to Idealabs.

It's the first time I use hair for the Idealabs test for minerals. Since the hair is more exposed to the environment, I take these results more with a grain of salt than the ones from nail.

C88yDceZCKN9EHj.png

C2NWuGVmeXY4r8K.png

i2HQy6bTFahRwVy.png

Hair is showing many different things that weren't seen in nail before:

- High chromium, cobalt, and iron.
- High Molybdeum, which was below LOD in nail.
- High phosphorus. Looks like the upper range in hair is a lot lower than in nail.
- Selenium wasn't detected while it was ok in nail
- Arsenic, cadmium, and lead higher than in nail.
- Aluminum within range for hair (great news). Been using the magnesium malate before this test.
- The additional elements section also showed a few new ones as slightly elevated, which I don't know what they do or mean: Nickel especially elevated. Lithium and bismuth slightly elevated. I spent a week in the French Polynesia recently, where they had nuclear testing done back in the day. Wonder if that had an effect, it was a really short period.

These tests are packed with information but when you get a few done within the year, it can get hard to see a trend and also confirm what's working. What I liked about sending beard hair is that it's easy to control the time period that the test is for.

Welcome anyone's thoughts. Tagging @Lejeboca who may be interested in my progress here.

Tide

Curious if anyone can help me interpret these results. Looks like calcium obviously needs to be increased in the diet, with heavy deficiency showing in the test.

Attachments

• 033D448A-4906-4CEB-9DD9-6A5FCA95A5A8.jpeg
    033D448A-4906-4CEB-9DD9-6A5FCA95A5A8.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 34

tastyfood

Curious if anyone can help me interpret these results. Looks like calcium obviously needs to be increased in the diet, with heavy deficiency showing in the test.

I have this quote from somewhere, forgot where: Aluminum can stop the body’s ability to digest and make use of calcium, phosphorus and fluoride. This prevents bone growth and reduces bone density.

Your aluminum is high, so increasing calcium may not fix anything completely. I eat more than enough calcium and still have high intracelular levels, probably due to the aluminum.

Tide

I have this quote from somewhere, forgot where: Aluminum can stop the body’s ability to digest and make use of calcium, phosphorus and fluoride. This prevents bone growth and reduces bone density.

Your aluminum is high, so increasing calcium may not fix anything completely. I eat more than enough calcium and still have high intracelular levels, probably due to the aluminum.

Thanks, interesting that Aluminum is high as I’m not using any substances with it.

Is there a general guideline around how to read if there is a deficiency vs excess? i.e. calcium coming in high actually indicates deficiency, what about other values?

tastyfood

Is there a general guideline around how to read if there is a deficiency vs excess? i.e. calcium coming in high actually indicates deficiency, what about other values?

I thin your best bet is to read through all the comments on this thread. Lots of good points dropped by various users.

cs3000

ty. thats a really high P value for the brain result. probability of result being to chance <50% (should be <5% max). wonder why. there's some odd stuff with that study. using different aluminium doses for the groups etc, and administered acutely with the acids shortly after.
there's another study where they administered it for weeks first to let it settle in, which showed malic acid increased excretions of aluminium in feces & urine & all tissues including bone & brain

Citric, malic and succinic acids as possible alternatives to deferoxamine in aluminum toxicity

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/15563658808995398?journalCode=ictx19

View attachment 41433
I stopped oysters not to interfere their high zinc content with copper absorption. And canned b/c I do not have access to other forms. To decrease Al, I was hoping that a silica-containing supp (horsetail herb) would reduce it but apparently not. I'd be interested in your mag-malate experiment please post.

I started increasing my malic acid intake from natural sources a bit (a few pears per week) too per Comparative effects of several chelating agents on the toxicity, distribution and excretion of aluminium - PubMed .
However, from this paper: "From the chelating agents tested, only malic acid, citric acid and DFOA partially effective in reducing the acute toxicity of aluminium. Notwithstanding, malic acid caused a significant increase in brain and bone aluminium concentration, and this may be considered a potentially harmful effect."

So annoying when studies completely contradict each other with opposite results
that first one i posted reduced all tissue measures

but this one increased all measures after low dose malic acid or citric acid intake , compared with aluminium alone
the organic acids were added to drinking water so slow intake of ~500mg human dose spread over a day
and the aluminium was bolus dose

but in others it increases survival rate from aluminium Table 1 from Comparative Effects of Several Chelating Agents on the Toxicity, Distribution and Excretion of Aluminium | Semantic Scholar

so does the type of aluminium tested with give opposite effects , or the way its administered, i don't know what to make of it

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals