IdeaLabs Service - Steroid Analysis (hair and/or (toe)nail)

tastyfood

@haidut in one of the videos you linked to from the Idealabs page for hair sample instructions, it says one should wash the hair with shampoo before cutting the strands of hair. They also say not too wait too long after washing for the hair not to become oily. Do you find that recommendation strictly necessary for sending the hair sample? Aren't the scalp and hair kind of oily all the time?

Thank you!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut in one of the videos you linked to from the Idealabs page for hair sample instructions, it says one should wash the hair with shampoo before cutting the strands of hair. They also say not too wait too long after washing for the hair not to become oily. Do you find that recommendation strictly necessary for sending the hair sample? Aren't the scalp and hair kind of oily all the time?

Thank you!

Good observation. We only post these videos for the visuals on how to harvest the hair, but I would not pay much attention to other things they ask for as we have not found washing the hair to help. In fact, it may hurt in this case as it could wash away some of the steroids that are closer to the hair surface, and this is why on the ordering website the description has a disclaimer in caps saying NOT to wash the hair before harvesting and/or sending to us.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makes sense.

All the steroids available for testing look like something useful to learn about, but I'm hesitating about the thyroid option. For someone who tests thyroid in blood regularly (4 to 5 times a year), and the levels of total T4, total T3, and rT3 seen in results perfectly correlate with the amount of thyroid being taken, would the thyroid results in hair still useful? It also looks like comparing blood results with test results wouldn't really be possible.

Thanks again. Super excited for how convenient this seems from a sample obtaining point of view.

Oh, one more thing. While sending long hair samples does reveal information on average levels over longer periods of time (i.e. each 0.5in (1cm) of hair roughly covers 1 month), some studies show exponential decrease of steroid contents after the 3-4 month mark. So, even if somebody sends say 6in (12cm) of hair the results may be skewed/weighted to show predominantly the average over the last 3-4 months, with the months before that contributing a lot less to the total. If I had to venture a guess, with 6in hair sample the first 3-4 months would contribute about 80% of the values/amounts of steroids detected, and the other 8-9 months would contribute the remaining 20%.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is it possible to use chest hair?

Yes, as long as you can get 0.25in-0.5in (0.5cm-1cm) long clump the size/area of a quarter (when put on a flat surface).

Risingfire

Yes, as long as you can get 0.25in-0.5in (0.5cm-1cm) long clump the size/area of a quarter (when put on a flat surface).
I can provide that. Thanks for this service! I hate going to the doctor and I wouldn't get the majority of the tests even if I argued for hours

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I can provide that. Thanks for this service! I hate going to the doctor and I wouldn't get the majority of the tests even if I argued for hours

Btw, while we currently only do the steroid panel it looks like over time we should be able to add a lot of other valuable biomarkers such as serotonin, dopamine, histamine, prolactin, CRH, ACTH, etc so the service should keep growing into a more and more encompassing picture of systemic/intracellular health.

Risingfire

Btw, while we currently only do the steroid panel it looks like over time we should be able to add a lot of other valuable biomarkers such as serotonin, dopamine, histamine, prolactin, CRH, ACTH, etc so the service should keep growing into a more and more encompassing picture of systemic/intracellular health.
That's legit. Blood tests need to ordered by a doctor as I live in NJ. They would never test my prolactin and I would love to see where I'm at. Thank you

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
That's legit. Blood tests need to ordered by a doctor as I live in NJ. They would never test my prolactin and I would love to see where I'm at. Thank you

Do you know about the site a forum member put together comparing the prices of tests offered by labs without the need of an order from your doctor? You can get prolactin yourself, no need to beg a non-cooperative doctor.

Risingfire

Do you know about the site a forum member put together comparing the prices of tests offered by labs without the need of an order from your doctor? You can get prolactin yourself, no need to beg a non-cooperative doctor.
NJ, NY and I believe MA don't allow self testing

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks @tastyfood though I've tried this before and labcorp wouldn't indulge me

You can get a prepaid credit/debit card, for which pretty much any address can be entered as a billing address. So, you place an order online from one of the labs for whatever tests you need and enter your real name/DOB but an address in NY or PA (whichever one is closed to you). Then, when they issue you the lab order you take it to LabCorp/Quest in whatever state the lab order was issued for and they will do the blood draw and lab work. The labs will ask for an ID, but the address on the ID does not have to match the address on the lab order as long as your full name and DOB match. I am pretty sure it is not illegal to get blood work outside of your home state and the address you are entering is arbitrary and works like that for all such cards, so it's not "false impersonation" or anything like that.

tastyfood

we have not found washing the hair to help. In fact, it may hurt in this case as it could wash away some of the steroids that are closer to the hair surface, and this is why on the ordering website the description has a disclaimer in caps saying NOT to wash the hair before harvesting and/or sending to us.

@haidut does this mean one should not be washing the hair with products at all the period before sending the hair sample? I don't use any of the commercial products, just some coconut soap 2 or 3 times a week, lightly. Is it ok to do light washing or is it better not to use any product at all?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut does this mean one should not be washing the hair with products at all the period before sending the hair sample? I don't use any of the commercial products, just some coconut soap 2 or 3 times a week, lightly. Is it ok to do light washing or is it better not to use any product at all?

If it is just soap, it should be OK. Some, but not all, studies found that regular shampoo or conditioner, affected steroid recovery/extraction from the hair, so that is why I am mentioning it.

This is awesome!

@haidut Have you had any issues with international orders (I am in the UK)? And what if you dye your hair? Does that affect anything?...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is awesome!

@haidut Have you had any issues with international orders (I am in the UK)? And what if you dye your hair? Does that affect anything?...

No issues so far in regards to getting samples from UK shipped to Bulgaria. Hair dying does not seem to be an issue, but we prefer that the sample sent to us does not have dye on it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is it possible to use chest hair?

We also found that pubic hair is particular rich in steroids, which I guess is to be expected. So, if body hair is insufficient you can do public instead.

TheBeastPanda

Note (5/27/2022): This launch is Part I of a two-part service - steroid analysis in hair or nails. While we have confirmed our ability to analyze steroids in both types of samples, nail steroid analysis is still in its scientific infancy and there are very few publications on the topic. As such, there is very little published/public information on so-called "normal population ranges" for each steroid we are capable of detecting. In comparison, there is a lot more information on such ranges in regards to analyzing hair samples. As such, we will offer the hair analysis for now, until we collect enough nail samples from volunteers so that we can experimentally derive ranges for the various steroids in nails. Once those ranges are available, we will add the option to be able to select/order "nails" as a sample analysis in the online shopping system, and will update this thread with another note under this one confirming that we can do the nails as well and the date on which this second part of the service has been launched.

Note (9/9/2022): Part II of the steroid analysis is now also available - i.e. we can now analyze nail samples as well.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

After many months of hard work and many "false" leads, I am please to finally announce that we can now offer steroid testing in samples such as hair (usually from scalp) and/or nails (usually from toes). A few months ago, we launched a similar service - mineral analysis - in both hair and nails.

In that post above, I explained that there has been a great deal of interest in research circles to perform a similar analysis but of other so-called analytes, especially steroids. There have been quite a few studies on analyzing individual steroids in hair samples, and more recently in nails as well. The most common analysis done in hair/nails is for the adrenal hormone cortisol, and multiple studies (see references below) have suggested that hair/nail cortisol may be a reliable biomarker of chronic stress. Why chronic? Well, just like for the mineral analysis, hair and nails are actual tissues composed of many individual cells added to the hair/nail over a specific period of time. Thus, by analyzing the entire sample for the presence and amount of cortisol, one can get an idea for the amount of cortisol to which the cells composing the sample have been exposed over a period of time measured in days, months, and even years (e.g. very long hair). In contrast, measurements of cortisol in the blood are strictly short-term biomarkers since cortisol levels vary drastically in a matter of minutes depending on levels of stress experience by the organism around the time period the blood sample for testing cortisol was collected. Thus, single blood tests for cortisol are not very indicative of the typical/background levels of stress the organism is experiencing in its environment. Of course, one could try to do longer term estimates by doing repeated blood tests for cortisol over a period of time and the average value of those tests would indeed approximate the typical/background level of stress experienced by the organism between the first and lest blood test. However, in order to get a reliable "distribution", many tests (maybe every 2-3 days) need to be done, so it becomes clear that estimating the average levels of cortisol, and thus chronic stress, over a period of even a single month is impractical, invasive, expensive, and even dangerous for the patient. In fact, medical guidelines recommend against drawing blood for testing more than once biweekly, due to the inherently stressful nature of blood extraction, which can easily raise levels of biomarkers such as LDH, CRP, and even...cortisol itself! However, analyzing the amounts of cortisol in a hair or nail sample does not suffer from any of these drawbacks, is painless, does not require any special sample storage/transportation, and the length of time over which one would like to do analysis for cortisol can be varied at will. For example, to test average levels of cortisol over the last month, a hair sample of 0.5in of length (from the base of the scalp) would be sufficient. For a two (2) month (in the past) analysis, a sample twice as long (1in) would be sufficient, and so on potentially indefinitely depending on how long the person's hair is. For individuals with significantly long hair, one could analyze cortisol levels from years ago, which obviously cannot be done by blood as steroid turnover in blood is complete in at most 24 hours for the vast majority of steroids.
The same logic can be applied, and has been applied (see references below), to virtually all other steroids known to science. In addition to cortisol, other commonly assessed steroids include DHEA, DHEA sulfate (DHEA-S), and other more sex-specific steroids such as androgens, pregnanes (pregnenolone, progesterone), estrogens, glucocorticoids. mineralocorticoids, etc. In fact, a recent study on a large population of over 200 Chinese women did an extensive analysis of over 30 different steroids (see Table 1) in hair samples collected from those women, and was able to successfully quantify the vast majority of them.

This study is the culmination of several decades of smaller studies, analyzing just one or two steroids in hair/nail and slowly establishing this type of analysis as a reliable method of steroid profiling in humans. Over the last few years, several so-called "meta-review" studies were also published, reaching the same conclusions as the overall message of this post - i.e. the field of hair/nail analysis seems to hold a lot of potential as a non-invasive, reliable, longitudinal testing of not just steroids, but virtually any substance/chemical capable of accumulating in cells.
"... In recent years, remarkable advances in sensitive analytical techniques have enabled the analysis of drugs in unconventional biological specimens such as hair. The advantages of this sample over traditional media like urine and blood are obvious: collection is almost noninvasive, relatively easy to perform, and in forensic situations it may be achieved under close supervision of law enforcement officers to prevent adulteration or substitution. Moreover, the window of drug detection is dramatically extended to weeks, months or even years. The aim of this review is to document the current detection of anabolic steroids in hair."

"...We compare the clinical utility and application of hair cortisol with traditional methods of measurement while acknowledging the limitations of analysis including variations in hair growth parameters. We explore the value of hair cortisol in cases of Cushing syndrome (particularly Cyclical Cushing), Adrenal insufficiency (including Addison's disease), therapy monitoring, cardiovascular disease, stress, and mental illness. Hair cortisol provides a unique objective biomarker for the analysis of endogenous cortisol levels for not only clinical diagnostic purposes but also in research. The use of hair cortisol [analysis] has great potential for advancing patient care."

"... Our results show that, when methodological challenges are adequately addressed, LC-MS protocols can not only yield excellent sensitivity and specificity but are also characterized by relatively simple sample processing and short run times. This makes LC-MS based hair steroid protocols particularly suitable as a high-quality option for routine application in research contexts requiring the processing of larger numbers of samples."

However, the good news on steroid analysis in hair/nails does not end there. Over the last several decades, researchers have noticed the value of using steroid ratios to uncover specific health disturbances, but also to assess general/systemic health, predict health problems years before they manifest and even predict mortality lifespan. While most of the work on steroid ratios (using blood analysis) came out of the mental health research field, more recent studies have demonstrate the usefulness of those ratios to virtually all medical sub-fields. For example the cortisol/DHEA-S ratio in blood has been proposed as one of the most reliable predictors of all-cause mortality in addition to its well-known role as a potential biomarker of mental illness (especially depression), cardiovascular health, and immune system function. Namely, the lower the cortisol/DHEA-S ratio, the healthier the person. However, some of the researchers publishing those studies opined that while blood DHEA-S is a reliable indicator of long-term adrenal health and resilience to stress, blood cortisol is quite unreliable as a long-term biomarker due to the reasons mentioned earlier. As such, the test for cortisol/DHEA-S ratio in blood is not as reliable as scientists want, due to its denominator lacking in reliability. The testing of cortisol and DHEA (or DHEA-S) in hair address this issue precisely due to its innate property of providing average longitudinal values over longer periods of time. As such the cortisol/DHEA ratio in blood should be able to address the drawbacks of the cortisol/DHEA-S test in blood. Indeed, multiple studies on the cortisol/DHEA ratio in hair (or nails), listed in the references section below, corroborate the usefulness of this ratio as a great biomarker of chronic stress (and resilience to it), which translates into it being a great indicator of systemic health, and good predictor of longevity/lifespan. A number of other steroid ratios have been examined over the last several decades, including the progesterone/estrogen (estradiol) ratio Dr. Peat has mentioned many times, the testosterone/estradiol ratio, the cortisol/testosterone ratio, the DHT/estrogen (estradiol) ratio, total androgen/estrogen ratio, the androsterone/etiocholanolone ratio, the cortisone/cortisol ratio, the estrone/esradiol ratio, the T3/T4 ratio, etc. Combining the detected values of individual steroids with one or more of the above mentioned ratios, further improves the ability to assess systemic health over virtually any period of time chosen by the person (or his/her health care provider) providing the sample for analysis. Speaking of steroids and their ratios, which steroids can our service currently detect and quantify? Here is the current list, which we hope to be able to grow by quite a few more if we add anabolic steroids to the list of analytes of interest.

Precursors: Pregnenolone (P5), Progesterone (P4). 17-OH-P5, 17-OH-P4
Androgens: DHEA, DHEA-S (in progress), Androstenedione, Testosterone, Epitestosterone, DHT, Androsterone, Etiocholanolone
Estrogens: Estradiol, Estrone, Estriol (in progress)
Mineralo/Gluco-Corticoids: Cortisol, Cortisone, Corticosterone, 11-deoxycorticosterone, 11-deoxycortisol, 21-deoxycortisol, Aldosterone
Thyroid: Triiodothyronine (T3), Thyroxine (T4), Reverse T3 (in progress)

Overall, we are very excited about the opportunity this presents to not only provide direct value to the individual person seeking to improve their health, but also about the potential this has for advancing science by now being able to merge the hair/nail mineral analysis (often frowned upon by medical doctors) with the steroids analysis and draw valuable correlations between the two, which may help put the former on a more solid scientific basis while informing the latter of feedback cycles between minerals and steroids that were either unknown before or were considered too controversial to accept in mainstream medicine/science.

For more detailed information, including how to collect/harvest hair/nail samples, please visit the link below.

@Drareg @ecstatichamster @yerrag @Amazoniac @James b @Peatness @Philomath @sunny @BrianF @Dean @Chad_Catholic @RayIV @revenant @scoobydoo @Happycat @Soren @Michael Mohn @aguilaroja @Alex Jaramillo @Risingfire @Ismail @Mauritio @Dan W

REFERENCES:

1. Hair
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2019.03.032
Hair Measurements of Cortisol, DHEA, and DHEA to Cortisol Ratio as Biomarkers of Chronic Stress among People Living with HIV in China: Known-Group Validation
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2008.11.014
Hair Cortisol and Dehydroepiandrosterone Concentrations: Associations with Executive Function in Early Childhood
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2009.12.040
https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-1056
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.02.024
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2013.08.022
https://doi.org/10.3109/10253890.2010.511352
Hair Analysis Provides a Historical Record of Cortisol Levels in Cushing’s Syndrome
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2011.12.020
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2011.02.012
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2011.04.005
Cortisol in hair measured in young adults - a biomarker of major life stressors?
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2011.09.001
Measurement of cortisol in human hair as a biomarker of systemic exposure - PubMed
https://doi.org/10.1080/10253890801887388
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2013.07.015
The measurement of testosterone in hair - PubMed
Physiological concentrations of anabolic steroids in human hair - PubMed
Determination of testosterone in human hair by gas chromatography-selected ion monitoring mass spectrometry - PubMed
https://doi.org/10.1039/a903912k
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2013.07.015
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2012.04.011
Scalp hair cortisol and testosterone levels in patients with sarcoidosis
[Radioimmunoassay of testosterone concentrations in hair: use in doping control] - PubMed
https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034-1374609
https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/23.5.352
https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/23.6.424
https://doi.org/10.1097/ftd.0b013e3181c004f1
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2013.03.008
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2019.108547
Profiling steroid and thyroid hormones with hair analysis in a cohort of women aged 25 to 45 years old
Redirecting
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2017.05.007
Determination of estrone and 17 beta-estradiol in human hair by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry - PubMed
HOME vs. LAB hair samples for the determination of long-term steroid concentrations: a comparison between hair samples collected by laypersons and trained research staff
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2020.461179
https://doi.org/10.1159/000504672

2. Nails
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-011-5172-3
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2015.01.015
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-018-1131-6
Canadian Science Publishing
Measuring cortisol and DHEA in fingernails: A pilot study
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2016.02.013
https://doi.org/10.1016/s0378-4347(01)00038-x
https://doi.org/10.1016/s0378-4347(01)00038-x
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2018.09.015

3. Steroid Ratios (serum, hair, nails, etc)
Biochemical roles of testosterone and epitestosterone to 5 alpha-reductase as indicators of male-pattern baldness - PubMed
Testosterone/Epitestosterone Ratios-Further Hints to Explain Hyperandrogenemia in Children with Autism - PubMed
Evaluation of Testosterone/Epitestosterone Ratio Influential Factors as Determined in Doping Analysis
Imbalance in the estrogen/androgen ratio may affect prostate fibrosis through the TGF-β/Smad signaling pathway. - Physician's Weekly
Neuroprotective effect of a physiological ratio of testosterone and estradiol on corticosterone-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells via Traf6/TAK1 pathway - PubMed
Impact of androgen/estrogen ratio: lessons learned from the aromatase over-expression mice - PubMed
Increased estrogen to androgen ratio enhances immunoglobulin levels and impairs B cell function in male mice - Scientific Reports
Increased estrogen to androgen ratio in mice feminize the male immune system - Infrafrontier
The Loss of Masculine With Declined Serum DHT Is Associated With High Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Chinese Men
Effect of increasing ratio of estrogen: androgen on proliferation of normal human prostate stromal and epithelial cells, and the malignant cell line LNCaP - PubMed
Elevated Serum Levels of Estradiol, Dihydrotestosterone, and Inhibin B in Adult Males Born Small for Gestational Age
Clinical impact of estradiol/testosterone ratio in patients with acute ischemic stroke - PubMed
Testosterone to oestradiol ratio reflects systemic and plaque inflammation and predicts future cardiovascular events in men with severe atherosclerosis - PubMed
Synergistic Effect of a Physiological Ratio of Estradiol and Testosterone in the Treatment of Early-stage Atherosclerosis - PubMed
Evidence of a treatable endocrinopathy in infertile men - PubMed
Aromatase inhibitors for male infertility | Request PDF
Is There A Role for Dihydrotestosterone/ Estradiol Ratio in Premature Ejaculation?
Seasonal fluctuations in testosterone-estrogen ratio in men from the Southwest United States - PubMed
The effect of aromatase inhibitor letrozole on body mass index, serum hormones, and sperm parameters in infertile men - PubMed
The effect of aromatase inhibitor letrozole on body mass index, serum hormones, and sperm parameters in infertile men - PubMed
Changes in hormonal profile and seminal parameters with use of aromatase inhibitors in management of infertile men with low testosterone to estradiol ratios - PubMed
Effect of body weight on testosterone/estradiol ratio in oligozoospermic patients - PubMed
Role of testosterone to estradiol ratio in predicting the efficacy of recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin and testosterone treatment in male hypogonadism - PubMed
Role of testosterone/estradiol ratio in predicting the efficacy of tamoxifen citrate treatment in idiopathic oligoasthenoteratozoospermic men - PubMed
Aromatase inhibitors for male infertility - PubMed
Prospective evaluation of risk factors for male breast cancer - PubMed
Estrogen-androgen imbalance in hepatic cirrhosis. Studies in 13 male patients - PubMed
Antiestrogenic action of dihydrotestosterone in mouse breast. Competition with estradiol for binding to the estrogen receptor - PubMed
Unique aspects of competitive weightlifting: performance, training and physiology - PubMed
The use of recovery methods post-exercise - PubMed
Overtraining parameters in special military units - PubMed
Physiological changes associated with the pre-event taper in athletes - PubMed
Changes in exercise performance and hormonal concentrations over a big ten soccer season in starters and nonstarters - PubMed
Use of the Testosterone/Cortisol Ratio Variable in Sports
Dual-hormone stress reactivity predicts downstream war-zone stress-evoked PTSD
Biomarkers in Sports and Exercise: Tracking Health, Performance, and Recovery in Athletes
Cortisol, testosterone, and coronary heart disease: prospective evidence from the Caerphilly study - PubMed
Hair Measurements of Cortisol, DHEA, and DHEA to Cortisol Ratio as Biomarkers of Chronic Stress among People Living with HIV in China: Known-Group Validation
https://tahomaclinic.com/Research/HandbookPDFs/DHEA-Cortisol-Ratio.pdf
https://people.clas.ufl.edu/dkertes/files/Kamin_Kertes_HB_2017.pdf
Relationships among training stress, mood and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate/cortisol ratio in female cyclists - PubMed
Effects of amount of training on the saliva concentrations of cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone and on the dehydroepiandrosterone: cortisol concentration ratio in women over 16 weeks of training - PubMed
Cortisol/DHEA ratio and hippocampal volume: A pilot study in major depression and healthy controls
Cortisol, DHEA sulphate, their ratio, and all-cause and cause-specific mortality in the Vietnam Experience Study
Cortisol, DHEAS, their ratio and the metabolic syndrome: evidence from the Vietnam Experience Study
Is the DHEAS/cortisol ratio a potential filter for non-operable constipated cases?
Lipodystrophy May Be Related to Cortisol:DHEA Ratio and Serum Alpha-Interferon
Association of cortisol, DHEA-S and cortisol/DHEAS ratio with insulin resistance in overweight and obese women | ECE2017 | 19th European Congress of Endocrinology | Endocrine Abstracts
Cortisol & Adrenal Androgens as Independent Predictors
Psychiatry Online
https://benthamopen.com/contents/pdf/TONEUROPPJ/TONEUROPPJ-5-18.pdf
https://scholarworks.uvm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1496&context=graddis
https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/articles/article-pdf/id26753.pdf
Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate/cortisol ratio in cirrhotic patients with septic shock: another sign of hepatoadrenal syndrome? - Critical Care
The ratio of cortisol/DHEA in treatment resistant depression
Cortisol/DHEA ratio in morbidly obese patients before and after bariatric surgery: Relation to metabolic parameters and cardiovascular performance - International Journal of Obesity
Cortisol/DHEA Ratios in Depression - Neuropsychopharmacology
High Serum Cortisol/DHEA-S Ratio Is a Risk Factor for Sarcopenia in Elderly Diabetic Patients
Relationship Between IGF-1 and Cortisol/ DHEA-S Ratio in Adult Men With Diabetic Metabolic Syndrome Versus Non-Diabetic Metabolic Syndrome | El-Eshmawy | Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism
Serum cortisol and DHEA concentrations during HIV infection - PubMed
A new ratio: urinary etiocholanolone/androsterone as an indication of sexual interest in postmenopausal women
ABNORMAL URINARY ANDROSTERONE/ETIOCHOLANOLONE RATIO IN HYPOTHALAMIC DISTURBANCES IN MAN
(PDF) Abiraterone Acetate to Lower Androgens in Women With Classic 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/tam.4.3.134.139
Accuracy of Urinary Etiocholanolone/Androsterone Ratio as Alternative to Serum Testosterone/Dihydrotestosterone Ratio for Diagnosis of 5 Alpha-reductase Type 2 Deficiency Patients and Carriers in Indonesia
Hypothyroid-Like Alterations in Testosterone Metabolism in Anorexia Nervosa
@haidut

All things considered do you think Exemestane or Androsterone, despite the fact they're awfully similar ; Which one is better?

Regarding androgens, hormones, health, etc, etc?

tastyfood

If anyone is interested in the possibility of sending hair other than scalp hair, I'm posting my results here using beard hair. My beard wasn't that long, and I was able to gather 1.3g of hair to send to IdeaLabs by shaving everything but the mustache. I highly recommend this to guys who don't want to mess with chunks of their scalp hair. Having a good quality precision scale is important to properly measure the amount before you send the sample to IdeaLabs.

The results are again interesting:

- My hair shows less DHT now that I have been supplementing than when I wasn't using any.
- Progesterone went up even though I cut the dosage by a lot. Barely using a couple of drops of Progest-e nowadays.
- All the other androgens went down compared to my last hair results, as expected, since I lowered usage of a lot of the stuff especially DHEA. Despite not using much, a lot of my results are way above the range still.
- Thankfully, the lowered androgens appear to have stopped the aromatization and stress response. No more high estrone. No more corticosterone.
- I was wowed to see aldosterone detected since it only has a 2% detection frequency for Idealabs samples according to the results sheet. It was on the lower end of the range which was a relief. It was nice seeing this reported in hair, because I read the requirements for testing aldosterone in blood and they are tedious. According to Labcorp, one has to be ambulatory for 30 minutes before testing, which would skew any other tests you want to do at the same time.

I remain confused and concerned about two of the ratios:

AN/Etiocholanolone: I haven't had detected results for etiocholanolone so I'm unable to see a ratio here.
Androstenedione/DHEA: if < 1.5 it may indicate 3β-HSD deficiency. Mine is close to zero. I haven't found anything about a 3β-HSD deficiency in the forum. My ratio here is really small because my DHEA is through the roof. Despite having good androstenedione, I get a bad ratio. If 3β-HSD deficiency is about Congetinal Adrenal Hyperplasia, at least I have many other results that show I don't have an issue with that.

8RGtAsDEXrVUpzR.png

Interested in others' thoughts, especially those of you who have used this testing service.

Thank you!

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals