Repeated nail analysis after 3 months: Aluminum went down, lead went up, and some uranium

tastyfood

After testing very high for aluminum in my last nail analysis, I embarked in a 3 month period of taking 400mg of Magnesium malate to see if that helped. Aluminum was the only heavy metal that was high 4 months ago.

The new test showed a significant decrease in aluminum (yay): From 19.4 to 6.3 (<3.6 is the upper range).

Unfortunately, for lead, I went from being below the limit of detection to being 3 times above the upper range 0.4262 ( < 0.138 upper range). They also detected some uranium which was shocking. The last test didn't show any: 0.0124 (< 0.0017 upper range).

I'll continue taking magnesium malate to see if I can bring the aluminum down completely.

- Does anyone know where I could have been exposed to that much lead in the last 3 months? I haven't traveled anywhere. Just working from home and weekend trips around where I live. No out of the ordinary events.
- Anyone else with detected uranium that can shed light on it?

Thank you!

After testing very high for aluminum in my last nail analysis, I embarked in a 3 month period of taking 400mg of Magnesium malate to see if that helped. Aluminum was the only heavy metal that was high 4 months ago.

The new test showed a significant decrease in aluminum (yay): From 19.4 to 6.3 (<3.6 is the upper range).

Unfortunately, for lead, I went from being below the limit of detection to being 3 times above the upper range 0.4262 ( < 0.138 upper range). They also detected some uranium which was shocking. The last test didn't show any: 0.0124 (< 0.0017 upper range).

I'll continue taking magnesium malate to see if I can bring the aluminum down completely.

- Does anyone know where I could have been exposed to that much lead in the last 3 months? I haven't traveled anywhere. Just working from home and weekend trips around where I live. No out of the ordinary events.

Thank you!
Maybe one of the tests were inaccurate, or the magnesium you are taking had those metals in them? You know how slippery supplements can be.

“ConsumerLab.com's earlier tests revealed that one of 19 iron supplements and two of 19 magnesium supplements were found to be contaminated with lead. Other problems, such as too little or too much mineral, were also found among some products.”

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

“ConsumerLab.com's earlier tests revealed that one of 19 iron supplements and two of 19 magnesium supplements were found to be contaminated with lead. Other problems, such as too little or too much mineral, were also found among some products.”

Thanks. Supplement contamination is always something to consider.

I'm using this magnesium malate brand. That's the only new supplement I introduced in my routine.

I may switch to FIji water for aluminum secretion, and see if that makes a difference.

“Human beings are constantly exposed to a certain amount of uranium because it is heterogeneously present in natural form in food, the air, the soil, and water. The repercussions of this natural exposure as regards human physiology and pathophysiology are not completely known. However, the evidence gathered so far suggests that overexposure to uranium may result in toxicity, which is derived from an excessive accumulation of the element in the organism. This accumulation, in turn, depends on the route of entry, the duration of the exposure, the dose and the chemical compound of which it forms part, and its absorption (Maynard and Hodge, 1949; Stokinger et al., 1953). Natural exposure, overexposure, and intoxication can occur by ingestion, inhalation, or skin contact (Fig. 1). In any case, a small portion of the uranium gains access to the circulation from which it distributes throughout the body. Uranium accumulates mainly in the bones (66%), kidneys (8%), and liver (16%) (ICRP, 1996), and it is eliminated with the urine, rapidly from the blood and slowly from organ depots (ICRP, 1996; La Touche et al., 1987).”

Thanks. Supplement contamination is always something to consider.

I'm using this magnesium malate brand. That's the only new supplement I introduced in my routine.

I may switch to FIji water for aluminum secretion, and see if that makes a difference.
At least you got the aluminum down quite a bit!

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

At least you got the aluminum down quite a bit!

Yes. That was a relief. Something is working. I still don't know where all that aluminum came from, though. Not knowing the source, it is difficult to stop the intake.

Yes. That was a relief. Something is working. I still don't know where all that aluminum came from, though. Not knowing the source, it is difficult to stop the intake.
It could be in your cookware, from canned foods, deodorant all kinds of places. Here is a link, below, where I throw everything in on the subject…

P

Peatness

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I recall reading that calcium is good for detoxing lead, I think?

Thank you. I have good calcium intake, so something to keep up based on your link.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

It could be in your cookware, from canned foods, deodorant all kinds of places. Here is a link, below, where I throw everything in on the subject…

I replaced all my cookware a while ago. Haven't used deodorant in 7 years. I eliminated canned oysters which could have helped. Thanks again!

Lejeboca

@tastyfood Thanks for heads-up in another thread on your repeated tests. Please tag me next time you start a new thread on mineral analysis.

Good to know that mag. malate worked! I will try this too if my current strategy of not chelating oligosalicylates when chelating other (heavy metals) does not pan out.

My high uranium and lead in the 1st test went down with stopping Vit D. supps in the spring and chelating with a ground ivy (glechoma) herb. Now, it;s summer so UVB vit. D. probably increases somewhat my lead and uranium absorption again but I am taking glechoma 2x per week, so hopefully increase is not huge. I might retest again in the end of summer.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I tested again and my cadmium and arsenic went up. This is after taking the DiMagnesium Malate for a couple of months. Re-reading this article, I think this product could be the culprit.

I tested again and my cadmium and arsenic went up. This is after taking the DiMagnesium Malate for a couple of months. Re-reading this article, I think this product could be the culprit.
Are you eating rice too, cause it is known to have arsenic?

“The applicant provided results from eight lots of DMM that were analysed by high‐performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) for maleic and fumaric acids. No maleic acid was detected in DMM. The mean concentration of the fumaric acid present in the samples was 0.29%, with a maximum of 0.4% and a minimum of 0.24%. DMM may contain contamination of lead, arsenic, mercury and cadmium as a result of inherent contamination in the starting materials. However, the Panel noted that the certificates of analysis were not provided by the applicant.”

Lejeboca

My high uranium and lead in the 1st test went down with stopping Vit D. supps in the spring and chelating with a ground ivy (glechoma) herb. Now, it;s summer so UVB vit. D. probably increases somewhat my lead and uranium absorption again but I am taking glechoma 2x per week, so hopefully increase is not huge. I might retest again in the end of summer.

I tested again too. And the results pretty much as expected. Uranium did increase, but glechoma was able to keep lead and mercury in check (LOD). Cadmium did increase too, which is a new "appearance" among the 3 tests I've done. I did manage to chalete Al (from 5.3 to 3) with the horsetail herb only (which now wasn't hindered by glechoma). Interestingly, Se is protective against Cd in (chicken) kidneys. My nail Se has increased along with nail Cd. Perhaps the former exhibits protective effects on the latter in nails too?
@tastyfood how does your Se changes correlate with Cd changes across the tests?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I tested again too. And the results pretty much as expected. Uranium did increase, but glechoma was able to keep lead and mercury in check (LOD). Cadmium did increase too, which is a new "appearance" among the 3 tests I've done. I did manage to chalete Al (from 5.3 to 3) with the horsetail herb only (which now wasn't hindered by glechoma). Interestingly, Se is protective against Cd in (chicken) kidneys. My nail Se has increased along with nail Cd. Perhaps the former exhibits protective effects on the latter in nails too?
@tastyfood how does your Se changes correlate with Cd changes across the tests?

I think you're onto something. My selenium was ok in previous tests, and so was cadmium. In the latest hair test selenium was LOD, and cadmium went above the upper range. I stopped eating canned oysters to avoid the aluminum, and by doing that I negated seafood consumption unfortunately, lacking selenium in my diet. I am now eating scallops weekly.

Low selenium and possible cadmium contamination of magnesium malate seem to be pushing cadmium up. It's a pity because the magnesium malate seems to have helped with lowering aluminum.

The good thing about testing hair is that I was able to be sure about the timelines from the results.

TurboTime

I have a love hate relationship with supplements. They usually help at the start when I'm most deficient but eventually I think the contaminants outweigh the benefits.

This is a picture of the residue from magnesium hydroxide powder from PureBulk. I have previously reacted pharmacuetical grade MgOH powder with carbonated water and it all reacted. This stuff from purebulk was 10x cheaper but might not be worth it. (I don't have access to the good powder anymore so I use the PureBulk powder and filter the residue (which is not simple to get all of it))
1668063857101.jpg

This really opened my eyes to how bad supplements are though. I don't do any chemistry with other powders so I wouldn't know. I only have intuition that something is starting to do more harm than good after a while. For example I determined by tracking my supplement intake and my symptoms that magnesium glycinate powder from BulkSupplements must have been harming me with contamination.

TurboTime

Does anyone know where I could have been exposed to that much lead in the last 3 months? I haven't traveled anywhere. Just working from home and weekend trips around where I live. No out of the ordinary events.
"Everything in my life is the same except for 2 grams of metallic powder I've been taking daily. Just no idea where the lead could be coming from!"

I mean take a guess. The lead could be coming from the ore the magnesium was mined from and not refined properly or it could be coming from the processing - which for magnesium malate involves acids and high temperatures probably in a chinese vat containing lead. Same deal for uranium I'd imagine.

I'd suggest trying a few months of getting magnesium naturally and testing again. Then you could also try another mg supplement that you can be more sure about (or go back to your current one who knows). Besides OJ and spinach you could also try peanut butter. There's a good post on here about peanut butter and an anecdote in the post above it. Up to you to find the safest PB brand. You can also pour off excess pufas from the top after letting the jar sit for a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom