Best way to approach gut issues

P

PointOutside

Hello all,

My journey peating has been wonderful so far. Diet, thyroid, etc. have all been addressed and I feel better than I have for years. I'm still seeing near daily improvements primarily from supplementing thyroid. The next thing I want to tackle is my gut. I pretty much don't tolerate anything still and I've been getting by using AC. This week I used it three days in a row and felt borderline euphoric the entire time clearly indicating a serotonin/endotoxin issue. Nothing new for me. I don't want to use AC daily indefinitely since it really isn't clear if that's entirely safe. My experience with AC is that it almost makes me feel like my only issue was my gut and not much else but obviously that leads to metabolic issues.

Without AC: have to shake my leg constantly, urge to tap my fingers and bite my nails. Hard to enjoy anything, 'ADHD' symptoms, autism-like symptoms, nearly in a confused and anxious state especially at night. Performance anxiety leading to ED, no morning wood

With AC: nothing from what's listed above. None of it. Energy and mood excellent. My inner voice switches from ruminating about negative things to being able tom look right in front of me and enjoy what's going on. Erection is ready to go when needed. I get morning wood in this state.

Again thyroid helps all of the negatives listed above but they still exist.

I know that the age old question is 'how to fix my gut' but I was wondering what a sound approach would be for someone who feels bad after eating literally anything. By bad I mean, brain fog, ruminating thoughts (biggest one) and fatigue. Thyroid treats all of these symptoms but it's been feeling like a bandaid along with AC. Constipation, bloating, etc have been a lifelong thing for me and nothing has come close than a nice serving of activated charcoal for near immediate symptom relief.

So far I've eliminated starch and pretty much everything except orange juice, eggs, sugar, coffee, beef, chicken, 2% milk, some seafood (shrimp/fish) and varying light sources of carbs and fats that aren't too problematic for me. I want to feel like I'm taking AC everyday without taking it (or cypro) and I wanted to consider more extreme measures. I have zero experience on antibiotics or where to even begin with that. Besides holding a high metabolic rate (which thankfully seems to be easy for me with just thyroid/calories alone - 98.1 this morning upon waking :D) I want to consider other avenues to restoring proper gut function, lowering gut inflammation, reducing gut serotonin (big one), etc.

I tried to address every nutritional deficiency that's talked about on this forum and while those avenues did provide some sort of relief nothing every really tackled the issue. I am desperate to have a proper gut. Also, I know there are a lot of people against fasting here, but before I ever discovered peat I remember every time I fasted I would feel so incredible. I would enter a state where the idea of visiting a forum like this was pointless and I just went along my life feeling great. It wasn't sustainable because I work a lot, study a lot, and exercise a good amount and I'd eventually feel weak (while still feeling good mentally)

Any input appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynish

Regularity first. Always reducing inflammation. Gelatin, glycine, stuff that is easy for you to digest, don't eat to much at once, don't go too long without meals, cyproheptadine, enough water... When you normalize you can add more / change the regimen.

OP
P

PointOutside

Regularity first. Always reducing inflammation. Gelatin, glycine, stuff that is easy for you to digest, don't eat to much at once, don't go too long without meals, cyproheptadine, enough water... When you normalize you can add more / change the regimen.
Does cypro help long term even if I stop taking it? Or, rather theoretically. In other words, does using it for a period of time allow some sort of healing to take place?

Waynish

Does cypro help long term even if I stop taking it? Or, rather theoretically. In other words, does using it for a period of time allow some sort of healing to take place?
I don't think studies can tell you that, but experience can. If it doesn't help significantly in a short amount of time, then stop using it - and we know that couldn't have hurt much - eh?

OP
P

PointOutside

I don't think studies can tell you that, but experience can. If it doesn't help significantly in a short amount of time, then stop using it - and we know that couldn't have hurt much - eh?
Right, I'm willing to experiment with it but from what I've read it seems to be more of a bandaid, no? It wont hurt to try so we'll see

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

My journey peating has been wonderful so far. Diet, thyroid, etc. have all been addressed and I feel better than I have for years. I'm still seeing near daily improvements primarily from supplementing thyroid. The next thing I want to tackle is my gut. I pretty much don't tolerate anything still and I've been getting by using AC. This week I used it three days in a row and felt borderline euphoric the entire time clearly indicating a serotonin/endotoxin issue. Nothing new for me. I don't want to use AC daily indefinitely since it really isn't clear if that's entirely safe. My experience with AC is that it almost makes me feel like my only issue was my gut and not much else but obviously that leads to metabolic issues.

Without AC: have to shake my leg constantly, urge to tap my fingers and bite my nails. Hard to enjoy anything, 'ADHD' symptoms, autism-like symptoms, nearly in a confused and anxious state especially at night. Performance anxiety leading to ED, no morning wood

With AC: nothing from what's listed above. None of it. Energy and mood excellent. My inner voice switches from ruminating about negative things to being able tom look right in front of me and enjoy what's going on. Erection is ready to go when needed. I get morning wood in this state.

I know that the age old question is 'how to fix my gut' but I was wondering what a sound approach would be for someone who feels bad after eating literally anything. By bad I mean, brain fog, ruminating thoughts (biggest one) and fatigue. Thyroid treats all of these symptoms but it's been feeling like a bandaid along with AC. Constipation, bloating, etc have been a lifelong thing for me and nothing has come close than a nice serving of activated charcoal for near immediate symptom relief.

So far I've eliminated starch and pretty much everything except orange juice, eggs, sugar, coffee, beef, chicken, 2% milk, some seafood (shrimp/fish) and varying light sources of carbs and fats that aren't too problematic for me. I want to feel like I'm taking AC everyday without taking it (or cypro) and I wanted to consider more extreme measures. I have zero experience on antibiotics or where to even begin with that. Besides holding a high metabolic rate (which thankfully seems to be easy for me with just thyroid/calories alone - 98.1 this morning upon waking :D) I want to consider other avenues to restoring proper gut function, lowering gut inflammation, reducing gut serotonin (big one), etc.

I tried to address every nutritional deficiency that's talked about on this forum and while those avenues did provide some sort of relief nothing every really tackled the issue. I am desperate to have a proper gut. Also, I know there are a lot of people against fasting here, but before I ever discovered peat I remember every time I fasted I would feel so incredible. I would enter a state where the idea of visiting a forum like this was pointless and I just went along my life feeling great. It wasn't sustainable because I work a lot, study a lot, and exercise a good amount and I'd eventually feel weak (while still feeling good mentally)

Having high levels of vit D, getting lots of sunlight and aconia berry can be very helpful. Having high NAD levels in the gut is also very good. Check out my vid on how to lower intestinal serotonin.

youngsinatra

Don’t get too lost in bacteria, whether it’s about probiotics or antibiotics. Having strong stomach acid, good liver function and proper gut motility is more important in my opinion.

Zinc, B1, B6 (P5P), coffee, vitamin E, magnesium.
I now tolerate foods like oats, apples, honey and dairy, that I couldn’t eat for years, since I started improving stomach acid with these (histamine-raising) nutrients. Basically had chronic diarrhea for a year even on the most restrictive diet plus anti-microbial stacks, even though it still helped.

Now my stool is basically perfect and I am more than happy.

OP
P

PointOutside

Don’t get too lost in bacteria, whether it’s about probiotics or antibiotics. Having strong stomach acid, good liver function and proper gut motility is more important in my opinion.

I now tolerate foods like oats, apples, honey and dairy, that I couldn’t eat for years, since I started improving stomach acid with these (histamine-raising) nutrients. Basically had chronic diarrhea for a year even on the most restrictive diet plus anti-microbial stacks, even though it still helped.

Thanks for the input. I've taken everything you listed for a while and recently (this week) just stopped all supplements (besides Thyroid/magnesium/AC) because I feel like it's doing me more harm than good. I took TocoVit, get good zinc from diet, I took P-5-P, I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day, 500mg Thiamine HCl, and took 300-400 mg Mag Glycinate all at the same time for the past few months (with breaks) and the improvements I felt were only at the beginning. Thiamine initially improved everything digestion related, also increased my muscle glycogen as well as improved my mood but eventually just stopped doing anything at all. I also took R-5-P and Niacinamide but those seem to affect my sleep even with sufficient (?) calories.

Improving liver function is a goal of mine and I just don't know if anything is changing. I don't seem to have issues related to Estradiol as far as I can tell, and serum tests are somewhat useless but my E2 is generally pretty low, almost too low. I did drink heavily months ago and quit so I'm sure it's not in perfect condition. I'm not sure about the status of my stomach acid.

OP
P

PointOutside

Having high levels of vit D, getting lots of sunlight and aconia berry can be very helpful. Having high NAD levels in the gut is also very good. Check out my vid on how to lower intestinal serotonin.
Hi Hans, no access to sunlight up here unfortunately. Supplemental vitamin D raised my levels but I felt no change, but unlike supplements whenever I did get to see the sun it would make me feel amazing and maybe it contributed to regularity but it's been a while so I'm not sure. Currently as pale as a ghost. Are tanning beds useful? I have access to one on a daily basis but not sure about the UVB from tanning beds.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Hans, no access to sunlight up here unfortunately. Supplemental vitamin D raised my levels but I felt no change, but unlike supplements whenever I did get to see the sun it would make me feel amazing and maybe it contributed to regularity but it's been a while so I'm not sure. Currently as pale as a ghost. Are tanning beds useful? I have access to one on a daily basis but not sure about the UVB from tanning beds.
Have you tested your D levels? It's very important for gut health and keeping the bad bacteria in check and increasing the good ones. One of the benefits of sunlight is by increasing LL-37 (an anti-microbial peptide). Lots of people benefit a lot from using LL-37.
Since it's getting summer here, I've been getting lots of sunlight and my gut is healthier for it. Not sure if it's solely to the vit D or just the overall benefit of the sun.
I'd give sunbeds a try for sure. Also red light.
Thyroid and vit D is top for me. Then making sure you avoid gut-irritating food and normalize transit time as stated above.

B

Braveheart

Hello all,

How many times I've heard this similar problem from friends...first thing is to test for and eliminate H-Pylori (huge percentage of world has, but doesn't manifest)...Bingo!...each time that ended up being the problem. Study it....

SamYo123

I can’t ev

my ***t just won’t bulk up… I tried all supplements..

When the cheeks open the nuggets are released and I don’t alway get a full emptying, feel like I need to push a couple of nuggets an hour later..Im ganna remove eggs from diet see what happens I thought removing milk might have an affect but nope…

Last edited:

youngsinatra

I can’t ev

my ***t just won’t bulk up… I tried all supplements..

When the cheeks open the nuggets are released and I don’t alway get a full emptying, feel like I need to push a couple of nuggets an hour later..Im ganna remove eggs from diet see what happens I thought removing milk might have an affect but nope…
Do you eat sufficient fiber? I actually think that soluble fiber works better for bulk - some cooked oatmeal with cooked peeled apples is always good for bulk.

SamYo123

Do you eat sufficient fiber? I actually think that soluble fiber works better for bulk - some cooked oatmeal with cooked peeled apples is always good for bulk.
Nah my poop won’t bulk up…and the soluble fiber is gassy instead

AlaskaJono

Thanks for the input. I've taken everything you listed for a while and recently (this week) just stopped all supplements (besides Thyroid/magnesium/AC) because I feel like it's doing me more harm than good. I took TocoVit, get good zinc from diet, I took P-5-P, I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day, 500mg Thiamine HCl, and took 300-400 mg Mag Glycinate all at the same time for the past few months (with breaks) and the improvements I felt were only at the beginning. Thiamine initially improved everything digestion related, also increased my muscle glycogen as well as improved my mood but eventually just stopped doing anything at all. I also took R-5-P and Niacinamide but those seem to affect my sleep even with sufficient (?) calories.

Improving liver function is a goal of mine and I just don't know if anything is changing. I don't seem to have issues related to Estradiol as far as I can tell, and serum tests are somewhat useless but my E2 is generally pretty low, almost too low. I did drink heavily months ago and quit so I'm sure it's not in perfect condition. I'm not sure about the status of my stomach acid.
Try Nauli Kriya. Look it up on the tube or through your yoga friends. Basically it is an internal organ massage you give yourself. Done in the am before eating. Or late afternoon. It will take months to learn how to do it, so don't fret. Liver, spleen, intestines all get a massage.

jeredpilot

How many times I've heard this similar problem from friends...first thing is to test for and eliminate H-Pylori (huge percentage of world has, but doesn't manifest)...Bingo!...each time that ended up being the problem. Study it....
@Braveheart

Thanks brother. Since reading your post I have been researching this for several hours now. I see exactly why you bring it up. For me, and I suspect the OP too, it is apparently huge.

@AlaskaJono thanks for the help with "AC".

OP @PointOutside : Your and my symptoms are remarkably similar and I too have tied them to the gut. That's why your title caught my attention. And like you, I am looking for more improvements. Activated Charcoal (AC) also helps me as does drinking a bentonite clay solution.

If Braveheart, and what I have read in the last few hours, has lead me down the right path then one of the reasons AC helps you and I is partly due to it mopping up H. pylori toxins.

BUT, there is a lot more to it. After digging into H. pylori further, as Braveheart suggested, it has (apparently) explained a lot of my mental mood swings, autism like symptoms at times, as well as wild swings in forgetfulness, confusion, amnesia like symptoms, irritability which can be at times irrational, disorientation, dissociation like effects - and on and on. By-products (ammonia for one) of H. pylori cause so many issues that I can see in my own symptoms.

I need to warn that a serious intervention against H. pylori, if done incorrectly, may lead to increased psychotic symptoms due to the die off of H. pylori and increased ammonia production. Also, several studies have pointed to certain drugs in combination with certain antibiotics can lead to Serotonin Syndrome (SS) (mentioned again below).

And that brings up another point: H. pylori is linked to elevated gut serotonin levels.

So my own personal RX goes something like this:
- Elevate AC and bentonite clay to offset any potential die off and elevated toxins
- I am going to also include MiraLAX due to its ammonia reducing characteristics. In fact, MiraLAX in one study showed greater ammonia reduction than Lactulose. Ammonia is a by-product of a high protein diet (which I am on) and also a by-product of elevated H pylori as stated above. Several studies show the MiraLAX is not habit forming or cause a bodily dependency. "is not habit forming. It is not absorbed into the body."
- For now, I am avoiding antibiotics due to their association with SS. Plus I don't have an Rx for any.
- I am avoiding Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI) as they are also tied to SS
- Instead, I am going with Pepcid AC MAX (famotidine) - which all alone has been used against H. pylori and shows remarkable abilities to reduce H. pylori as well as actively reduce gut serotonin and is an effective treatment for SS in one study.
- I seem to have H pylori in my sinuses as well (more below). Therefore I am also going to use vinegar, as it is shown to cause H. pylori to retreat from the sinuses.

The goal is to gradually reduce H pylori to levels which my body can naturally manage.

I don't have the space to go into the science behind my personal Rx. This post would just be too long. I can add links (in a separate post) to some of the studies I read which seem most relevant if someone wants them.
But avoid the following because they have been shown to significantly elevate serotonin levels (& even cause SS) when elevated H. pylori is present:
- Omerazole which is a PPI
- Furazolidome
- Clarithromycin
- Clarithromycin in combination with rabeprazole
- all PPIs

Lastly, I suspect that H. pylori has migrated into my sinuses and middle ear because I have sinus issues (like sinus odor) and ear wax that has an ammonia odor.

p.s.
It is notable that:
H. pylori is a known Group 1 Carcinogen.
H. Pylori toxins include: ammonia (urease), lysolecithin (phospholipases) and acetaldehyde (alcohol dehydrogenase) and are all tied to psychotic disorders in one way or another.

OP
P

PointOutside

@Braveheart

Thanks brother. Since reading your post I have been researching this for several hours now. I see exactly why you bring it up. For me, and I suspect the OP too, it is apparently huge.

@AlaskaJono thanks for the help with "AC".

OP @PointOutside : Your and my symptoms are remarkably similar and I too have tied them to the gut. That's why your title caught my attention. And like you, I am looking for more improvements. Activated Charcoal (AC) also helps me as does drinking a bentonite clay solution.

If Braveheart, and what I have read in the last few hours, has lead me down the right path then one of the reasons AC helps you and I is partly due to it mopping up H. pylori toxins.

BUT, there is a lot more to it. After digging into H. pylori further, as Braveheart suggested, it has (apparently) explained a lot of my mental mood swings, autism like symptoms at times, as well as wild swings in forgetfulness, confusion, amnesia like symptoms, irritability which can be at times irrational, disorientation, dissociation like effects - and on and on. By-products (ammonia for one) of H. pylori cause so many issues that I can see in my own symptoms.

I need to warn that a serious intervention against H. pylori, if done incorrectly, may lead to increased psychotic symptoms due to the die off of H. pylori and increased ammonia production. Also, several studies have pointed to certain drugs in combination with certain antibiotics can lead to Serotonin Syndrome (SS) (mentioned again below).

And that brings up another point: H. pylori is linked to elevated gut serotonin levels.

So my own personal RX goes something like this:
- Elevate AC and bentonite clay to offset any potential die off and elevated toxins
- I am going to also include MiraLAX due to its ammonia reducing characteristics. In fact, MiraLAX in one study showed greater ammonia reduction than Lactulose. Ammonia is a by-product of a high protein diet (which I am on) and also a by-product of elevated H pylori as stated above. Several studies show the MiraLAX is not habit forming or cause a bodily dependency. "is not habit forming. It is not absorbed into the body."
- For now, I am avoiding antibiotics due to their association with SS. Plus I don't have an Rx for any.
- I am avoiding Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI) as they are also tied to SS
- Instead, I am going with Pepcid AC MAX (famotidine) - which all alone has been used against H. pylori and shows remarkable abilities to reduce H. pylori as well as actively reduce gut serotonin and is an effective treatment for SS in one study.
- I seem to have H pylori in my sinuses as well (more below). Therefore I am also going to use vinegar, as it is shown to cause H. pylori to retreat from the sinuses.

The goal is to gradually reduce H pylori to levels which my body can naturally manage.

I don't have the space to go into the science behind my personal Rx. This post would just be too long. I can add links (in a separate post) to some of the studies I read which seem most relevant if someone wants them.
But avoid the following because they have been shown to significantly elevate serotonin levels (& even cause SS) when elevated H. pylori is present:
- Omerazole which is a PPI
- Furazolidome
- Clarithromycin
- Clarithromycin in combination with rabeprazole
- all PPIs

Lastly, I suspect that H. pylori has migrated into my sinuses and middle ear because I have sinus issues (like sinus odor) and ear wax that has an ammonia odor.

p.s.
It is notable that:
H. pylori is a known Group 1 Carcinogen.
H. Pylori toxins include: ammonia (urease), lysolecithin (phospholipases) and acetaldehyde (alcohol dehydrogenase) and are all tied to psychotic disorders in one way or another.

Very interesting response, I very much appreciate it.

You know, you really caught my attention when you said sinus. For the past few years I get occasional flare ups of eustachian tube dysfunction and it's nearly impossible to pinpoint the cause for me. It lasts 2-3 months and during these months it's basically every day or other day where I switch from completely blocked ear to completely open and vice versa. I've gotten used to it. Could be linked I suppose. Also, with the amount of issues I have with my gut I very, very rarely have any sort of stomach pain if that's relevant. I could eat anything and not experience any discomfort in terms of pain (but other issues will flare up.) Bloating, constipation every day, serotonin (biggest one) are what I usually get, and what you mentioned too. In the entirety of my adult life I really can't remember a single good stool coming out.

I've never considered H. Pylori before and I'm starting to read into it more now. Any more info on using Pepcid? Is that your treatment or is it just to reduce symptoms?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals