Probiotics Revisited From Gut-Expert Ray Medina

Parsifal

dave-
This is not Peatian,
but here's something you might consider trying:

Get some Nystatin--it's an antifungal/anti-yeast which is not systemic, will stay in the gut.
Do diagnosis by treatment.
If you take round of Nystatin, and you feel better, then that will give you some strong clues
as to where to go next.

S. boulardii is a yeast you can take which kills the candida yeast.
So you could try that in the same vein,
although I don't think it as strong as Nystatin.
(Don't take the boulardii at the same time you take the Nystatin.)

How does your tongue look? Not just now, but typically, usually, over time...?
Do you have any discomfort, bloating, pain on the right abdominal side?
Does Ray talk a bit about these fungus infections? I think he would probably recommend flowers of sulfur? What do you think about kefir? Sorry if I'm asking you these questions but I am almost exactly in the same train as Dave and you need to try new things. I had antibiotics from birth and was allergic to my mom's milk btw and my appendix got removed at 10.

Last edited:

PeatThemAll

I like his top-down (meta) approach as well as his focus on the client side of it (not wasting money on some popular tests).

PeatThemAll

Dave, be careful with raw potato starch. The stuff even persorbs in healthy guts let alone in damaged guts and will absolutely inflame/clog your capillaries.

Goodluck, these issues are really difficult.

Echoed by Terry Wahls (around 26 minute mark). Horrible with regards to glyphosate (Roundup).

Xisca

I am not Autistic but suffer from high sensitivity and it seems a bit within autistic spectrum and i believe it's endotoxin /serotonin, thyroid related.
I also have some sentivity and know others that have more, and there is something we often have in common with autism or aspergus, which is the way to relate to other people, the social engagement is different, as if it was needed to learn about social behavior, or people are not easy to "read" etc.
Usually there is what is called peri-natal trauma, any accident during pregnancy or at birth or before 6 months old. I wide range of problems can upset a new and sensitive nervous system, especially the parasympathic branch.

It results in a less fluid social engagement, and a tendency to freeze, fibromialgia being part of it, and also fatigue, because too much energy is lost in maintaining an undergoing activation of the sympathic system. Even sensitive persons with a good social behavior usually need more periods of being on their own to relax, and prefer small groups than big ones.

beachbum

Hi @DaveFoster I made this post a while back in the Fat and Endotoxins thread and have not figured out how to get a link to my direct post so copy pasted for you:

Hi @EIRE24 - I can tell you what I did for me and my husband to heal our guts after long suffering - trying everything else and it not working. It is not a Ray Peat recommendation so take it as you will.

High high doses on empty stomach of digestive enzymes (see photo - large bottle) - like 10 twice daily (one just before bed). My husband's gut was not as bad as mine. I only gave him 10 once a day at night.

AND used the combo (see photo) of all three with each meal.

The research behind it is on this site:

Enzyme Dosing Guidelines

Worked like a charm! Within one week of high dosing on empty stomach between food - my gut was 85 % better. Within a month totally healed. Why I bring this up is it also healed my husband's facial and scalp acne. I also put tea tree oil on the red bumps morning and night. The two together worked like a charm.

My memory serves me that Ray has suggested enzymes when all else failed. Don't quote me on that one.

Attached Files:
Hi Lisa,

How are you. I have been doing more thinking and experimenting and have decide to resort back to DE for my gut. I tried it before when I was in worse health and made me worse, but my gut feeling no pun intended, from reading about taking them like you did helps many things. So I feel good except my gut, trying to use stuff to help go more then once a day. Well this time, last night I took only 2 pills and it made me feel good, I slept really good and doing good this morning, and also feel less water logged. I took more this morning and will continue through out the day. I thank you Lisa that I found this thread of yours to try this again. I truly believe it all begins in the gut. Even RP have said that gut health is important for the liver to detox. So I am going to focus on the gut. Lisa did you happen to look like you were pregnant and then after doing the protocol it flatten.

L

lollipop

Hi Lisa,

How are you. I have been doing more thinking and experimenting and have decide to resort back to DE for my gut. I tried it before when I was in worse health and made me worse, but my gut feeling no pun intended, from reading about taking them like you did helps many things. So I feel good except my gut, trying to use stuff to help go more then once a day. Well this time, last night I took only 2 pills and it made me feel good, I slept really good and doing good this morning, and also feel less water logged. I took more this morning and will continue through out the day. I thank you Lisa that I found this thread of yours to try this again. I truly believe it all begins in the gut. Even RP have said that gut health is important for the liver to detox. So I am going to focus on the gut. Lisa did you happen to look like you were pregnant and then after doing the protocol it flatten.
Hi @beachbum! Yay...congratulations. Really think DE are serious contenders way overlooked by mainstream. They need consistency with a longer term trajectory. Most people give up too soon. Also digestive enzymes simply do not have big side effects (none in my case, others have said they did. I thus keep it conservative). I did not look pregnant but was recovering from serious GI issues. They did the trick most painlessly. They took time but I did not suffer along the way. Pretty remarkable by the way.

My current favorite is actually less expensive than the Digest Gold with ATP I was using. Here is my current favorite by the same company. If you are in the beginning journey of healing this might need higher doses but I like its simplicity as a product:

Enzymedica - Digest Basic, Essential, Full Spectrum Digestive Enzymes, 180 Capsules (FFP) Amazon.com: Enzymedica - Digest Basic, Essential, Full Spectrum Digestive Enzymes, 180 Capsules (FFP): Health & Personal Care

beachbum

Hi @beachbum! Yay...congratulations. Really think DE are serious contenders way overlooked by mainstream. They need consistency with a longer term trajectory. Most people give up too soon. Also digestive enzymes simply do not have big side effects (none in my case, others have said they did. I thus keep it conservative). I did not look pregnant but was recovering from serious GI issues. They did the trick most painlessly. They took time but I did not suffer along the way. Pretty remarkable by the way.

My current favorite is actually less expensive than the Digest Gold with ATP I was using. Here is my current favorite by the same company. If you are in the beginning journey of healing this might need higher doses but I like its simplicity as a product:

Enzymedica - Digest Basic, Essential, Full Spectrum Digestive Enzymes, 180 Capsules (FFP) Amazon.com: Enzymedica - Digest Basic, Essential, Full Spectrum Digestive Enzymes, 180 Capsules (FFP): Health & Personal Care
Yes.. sticking with it I wonder if most do or don't, but anyway I use vitaminshoppes brand has all but hci and it has calcium and phosphorus. I m going to work my way up to more each day. I will keep you posted. I forgot to mention I do not take probiotics.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Yes.. sticking with it I wonder if most do or don't, but anyway I use vitaminshoppes brand has all but hci and it has calcium and phosphorus. I m going to work my way up to more each day. I will keep you posted. I forgot to mention I do not take probiotics.
I do not either @beachbum - I only used them in emergency case to stop the bleeding from my anus. They are not needed in most cases.

beachbum

I do not either @beachbum - I only used them in emergency case to stop the bleeding from my anus. They are not needed in most cases.
Thats an interesting reason for using them. This may be a logical question, but when I wake in the morning I feel pretty good even after just having coffee, but once I start eating I start feeling worse as the day goes on except at dinner too because we eat late, around 7:30-8. So that would be a sign of bad digestion, meaning only can eat so much without feeling yuck and I can't eat more without feeling nauseous , and I feel like my liver is swollen if that is possible. Anyway, wonder if in the morning wait a little long to eat. I don't get shaky or any adrenal/insulin problems, we will see toomorrow:D

L

lollipop

Thats an interesting reason for using them. This may be a logical question, but when I wake in the morning I feel pretty good even after just having coffee, but once I start eating I start feeling worse as the day goes on except at dinner too because we eat late, around 7:30-8. So that would be a sign of bad digestion, meaning only can eat so much without feeling yuck and I can't eat more without feeling nauseous , and I feel like my liver is swollen if that is possible. Anyway, wonder if in the morning wait a little long to eat. I don't get shaky or any adrenal/insulin problems, we will see toomorrow:D
Interesting and glad you are experimenting. I also think it changes over time. One thing I have done I the last two years and think it is helping is to focus on liver health. I do lemon water with a little honey and also I take 500mg capsule of milk thistle for a few months (my husband and I each have one until the bottle runs out. - 90 capsules). I did last year and we are currently doing. Seems to help actually.

beachbum

Interesting and glad you are experimenting. I also think it changes over time. One thing I have done I the last two years and think it is helping is to focus on liver health. I do lemon water with a little honey and also I take 500mg capsule of milk thistle for a few months (my husband and I each have one until the bottle runs out. - 90 capsules). I did last year and we are currently doing. Seems to help actually.
I was doing the liver herbs and protein the past 2 weeks and still but noticing it is making me worse kind of. That is why I decided to do the DE as well, but more focus on the DE to get my gut moving more times a day

Last edited:

beachbum

Hi Lisa,

Transit time getting way better:D:rolleyes: I was just reading another member who used DE too and doing really well.:thumbsup:

tomisonbottom

I was doing the liver herbs and protein the past 2 weeks and still but noticing it is making me worse kind of. That is why I decided to do the DE as well, but more focus on the DE to get my gut moving more times a day

How did the DE experiment go?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

How did the probiotics and the S. Boulardii go?
I had some days with a very positive mood, but it's hard to tell if that's because of the S. Boulardii, antibiotics, or mirtazapine I was taking. I never took the probiotics.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Which antibiotics do you like best for gut issues?
The tetracyclines and activated charcoal have good effects, and I had good results from metronidazole and cephalexin, although the former isn't the safest antibiotic.

Regina

The tetracyclines and activated charcoal have good effects, and I had good results from metronidazole and cephalexin, although the former isn't the safest antibiotic.
I have my dog on low-dose tetracycline and a bit of AC. He didn't want to chase the geese or his frisbee and his tendency toward nastiness had roared back. It took about 3 days to sort him out, but that combo did the trick.
For yourself, are you concerned about the chelation of iron via tetracycline? For me, I can't play around with them, at least until I "normalize" my iron levels.