Is There A Common Cause For Chronic Gut Issues?

EIRE24

yes it definitely reduced chronic gas that I had for years - I took 2 weeks of penicillin and then a couple months later I took 2 weeks of minocycline - I assume I had some bacteria overgrowth because after the antibiotics I no longer had gas (I used to wake up every morning, for years, with seemingly endless amounts of gas)
Did you suffer from acne? What doses did you take and do you think monocycline was more effective than the penicillin?

Rad

I have tried almost everything I know of to reduce my gut issues. Constant extreme bloating, switching between loose/normal stools and constipation, most of all painful and tender to touch all over but usually in the lower half of my gut.

This has been going on for over 10 years. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, even when I eat starch sometimes I have really bad reactions but then sometimes it doesn't do anything negative. There is no consistency when it comes to reactions to specific foods I eat.

I am perplexed with the issue. For the majority of people I know they can eat what ever they want and have no negative reaction in their gut.

What is the defining factor for digestive health? Is it bacteria?

Hi Jayegray, have you ever ever had a gut test with somewhere like ubiome? The process is still a little wobbly and it's not an exact picture of your gut but it can be useful if you have any odd inhabitants that are playing up or an odd balance. They have discounts periodically.

Have you heard about Elixa probiotic? It's a high dose probiotic that you take for 6 days. Free shipping worldwide and I've used it with excellent results. Karl Seddon the product creator has written on the use of probiotics as targeted antibiotics. Have a read of the article and see what you think.

Edit: I meant to ask about the periodicity? Has it been a permanent feature of the last ten years or do the symptoms come and go. Is it worse for periods then better and for how lonfg will will it be worse or better? Seasonal?

And what doctors have you seen? What age were you when this started, if you don't mind and what was your lifestyle like at that point. Has it changed much in the last 10 years? Any details appreciated.

Last edited:

scarlettsmum

Hi Jayegray, have you ever ever had a gut test with somewhere like ubiome? The process is still a little wobbly and it's not an exact picture of your gut but it can be useful if you have any odd inhabitants that are playing up or an odd balance. They have discounts periodically.

Have you heard about Elixa probiotic? It's a high dose probiotic that you take for 6 days. Free shipping worldwide and I've used it with excellent results. Karl Seddon the product creator has written on the use of probiotics as targeted antibiotics. Have a read of the article and see what you think.

Edit: I meant to ask about the periodicity? Has it been a permanent feature of the last ten years or do the symptoms come and go. Is it worse for periods then better and for how lonfg will will it be worse or better? Seasonal?

And what doctors have you seen? What age were you when this started, if you don't mind and what was your lifestyle like at that point. Has it changed much in the last 10 years? Any details appreciated.
Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. I have always wanted to try antibiotics, but can't get a prescription and was a bit concerned with the dosage. This sounds like a safer alternative. I feel confident giving it to my autistic daughter as well.

OP
ATP

ATP

Hey Rad,
No I haven't had a test with anyone like ubiome, although I have had my stool tested a few times with the labs my doctor recommended and nothing bad was supposedly there. I have heard of Elixa probiotic but haven't used it because I've never had any success with probiotics in the past but I will revisit Elixa and read up about it.

What has been a permanent feature is constant bloating, distension along with extreme pain all over the abdomen when I press anywhere (mostly on the lower half and sides). I fluctuate between loose stool and constipation with periods of normal stools and then every few months I get a couple of days of bleeding randomly. There is no pattern to it at all it seems all random and like I said earlier diet doesn't seem to make any significant difference. It first started when I was 15 out of no where and I am now 27. I also have been dealing with mental illness since I was about 17, which I wrote about in another thread.
I have had a colonoscopy when I was 20 I believe and they found nothing but patches of inflammation for which she told me to change my diet! I've lost faith in doctors.

Rad

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. I have always wanted to try antibiotics, but can't get a prescription and was a bit concerned with the dosage. This sounds like a safer alternative. I feel confident giving it to my autistic daughter as well.
A lot of people report immediate and obvious benefits. I had an unusual reaction where I didn't go to toilet for 5 days but there was at no time any discomfort and then I returned to the normal program. My black bags under the eyes disappeared but I felt no better as it were. But a month later I suddenly noticed I felt really different and 2 months on, things were improved again. Less trouble downstairs, more quiet and calm.

I contacted the creator as I had reacted badly to Kefir and other commercial probiotics, though kefir was by far the worst. It seemed to be case/s of lactic acidosis. I had an intense brain fog (not my usual kind) of the backstreet lobotomy kind - not good. The technology used in the creation of the container helps the capsule to release its contents in the large intestine and for me this meant I was able to take in large numbers (package says 500 billion, though creator says that's a minimum and it can be up to 750 billion a capsule) without any negative reactions.

Rad

Hey Rad,
No I haven't had a test with anyone like ubiome, although I have had my stool tested a few times with the labs my doctor recommended and nothing bad was supposedly there. I have heard of Elixa probiotic but haven't used it because I've never had any success with probiotics in the past but I will revisit Elixa and read up about it.

What has been a permanent feature is constant bloating, distension along with extreme pain all over the abdomen when I press anywhere (mostly on the lower half and sides). I fluctuate between loose stool and constipation with periods of normal stools and then every few months I get a couple of days of bleeding randomly. There is no pattern to it at all it seems all random and like I said earlier diet doesn't seem to make any significant difference. It first started when I was 15 out of no where and I am now 27. I also have been dealing with mental illness since I was about 17, which I wrote about in another thread.
I have had a colonoscopy when I was 20 I believe and they found nothing but patches of inflammation for which she told me to change my diet! I've lost faith in doctors.

Do have another look at Elixa. It's providing huge numbers of bacteria which can shift ph in a positive fashion and its encapsulation tech means it gets to where it supposed to go without the bacteria being destroyed on the way or being dead on arrival. It's a short, sharp shock and you'll know within days whether it's going to do anything or nothing. I'm thinking it would be good for the loose to firm stool you're describing.

I have a similar propensity to bloat - even water would do it -and and intense gripes in the large intestine. Bottom left and right sides but I can hardly feel it these days. Investigation revealed some pinkness of the small intestine walls, evidence of slight inflammation. Do you get any back pain or sciatica/nerve pain in the buttock?

I tried cascara but that caused me to double over on even the smallest dose. Thankfully elixa and another probiotic fixed the pain and I also think glycine helped during an extended course.

Something that was too expensive to continue but extremely helpful was d-ribose. I feel at my best when I go three to four times a day - only once a day these days. D-ribose helped with that - it gives a metabolic boost to the intestines - as did a blue-green algae mix I used years ago (all the pufas!). The algae and vegetable blend was so easy on my digestion that I experienced the warmth and relaxation after eating that was often present during my childhood years before everything went down the toilet (is this just a British saying?) I followed an only potato diet and achieved the same warmth in the stomach about a year and a half ago as well as a disappearance of all bloating and no pain whatsoever. It was difficult to eat enough calories though so I started to get cold hands and feet. It was only potato though and the addition of some animal gravies would have made eating more, much easier.

Barliman

My personal take is that so many are dealing with chronic gut issues due to genetically modified foods in the marketplace. Plus all the crops being spraying with glyphosate as a pesticide. It's sick what tptb are doing to our food supply. Even with choosing organic food, you have to be concerned with cross contamination. I've mentioned this ad naseum on the forum, but organic sulfur crystals really helped my gut issues.

Glyphosate has to be a major part of the problem. It can radically alter gut flora.
DSpace@MIT: Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases
esp pages 3-5
notably:
Evidence of disruption of gut bacteria by glyphosate is available for both cattle and poultry. It has recently been proposed that glyphosate may be a significant factor in the observed increased risk to Clostridium botulinum infection in cattle in Germany over the past ten to fifteen years [35]. Glyphosate's demonstrated toxicity to Enterococcus spp. leads to an imbalance in the gut favoring overgrowth of the toxic Clostridium species. Glyphosate has been shown to have remarkable adverse effects on the gut biota in poultry [36], by reducing the number of beneficial bacteria and increasing the number of pathogenic bacteria in the gut. Highly pathogenic strains of Salmonella and Clostridium were found to be highly resistant to glyphosate, whereas beneficial bacteria such as Enterococcus, Bacillus and Lactobacillus were found to be especially susceptible. Due to the antagonistic effect of the common beneficial bacterium Enterococcus spp. on Clostridia, toxicity of glyphosate to E. spp could lead to overgrowth of Clostridia and resulting pathologies.
and pages 6-8, starting with:

3. Gut Dysbiosis, Autism and Colitis

It is now well established that autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is associated with dysbiosis in the gut [50], and, indeed, this is viewed by many as an important contributor to ASD [51]. An increase in short chain fatty acids and ammonia in the gut has been found in association with autism [52,53]. Since these are by-products of anaerobic fermentation, this suggests an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria such as Clostridia, Bacteriodetes, and Desulfovibrio. Clostridia have indeed been found in excess in the feces of autistic children [54]. By-products of fermentation by anaerobes, such as phenols, amines, ammonia, and hydrogen sulfide, can be toxic to the large bowel [1,8]. A strong link between autism and hepatic encephalitis has been identified [55], where the key underlying pathology may be excess ammonia in the blood stream.

Birdie

From an interview question on probiotics:

Dr. Ray Peat: They are probably okay to try. One thing that has made me skeptical about them was an article published in Nature about I think probably 35 or 40 years ago showed that there are endogenic regions on these lactobacilli that are exactly matching for proteins that are associated with female reproductive action, so that from puberty to menopause roughly, there is the risk of having an autoimmune or immunological interaction between intestinal bacteria and body tissues. And there hasn't been much follow-up on that but that is the period when autoimmune type problems show up in women and estrogen is probably the main factor that is involved in that but it just happens that there is this endogen parallel between the bacteria and the person. And the bacteria do have a direct anti-inflammatory effect on the membranes of the intestine but one problem is that they do produce lactic acid. And so if you provide them with enough fuel, they can have produce lactic acid which is a potential toxin. It stimulates inflammation and formation of fiber collagen stimulation.

Amazoniac

I'm not sure if I already shared this video on chronic infections and immunity. It's addressing briefly nutrition (vitamin A and D, iodine, etc), circadian variations (tolerance to endotoxin, etc), lipoproteins and other tendencies.

24:21 if you want to skip a bit

The guys that are into the "temperature reset" might enjoy it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals