Bacteriophages gave me leaky gut...

OP
P

peateats1

Are you sure it's related to phages? Anything else? Any supplements?

I think that phages could destroy some bacteria and instead of them, other, more bad ones began to grow. Perhaps you should try some probiotic. Although Ray says that you need a sterile intestine, it is unlikely that this can be achieved. Even if there are no bacteria, there will be fungi like candida, etc. So I believe that the use of probiotics is justified, you just choose the lesser evil. I think intestinal permeability is the biggest problem that can be, because it causes everything else. However, someone has it, and someone does not. And there seems to be no solution to this problem on the forum. They offer supplements of vitamin A, D, B2, and large doses of C.
I'm almost positive it was the phages initially because my liver enzyme numbers went from around 15-20 up to 160's in about a week or two. That was also the same time I took the phages. After that my health completely spiraled.

I've been trying probiotics, but they seem to elevate histamine and serotonin, cause bloating, and make me feel flu-ish. I just don't like the effects I've gotten from them. Yogurt does help a bit though.
I recently tried one b coagulans pill, not realizing it was spore based, and I was on the toilet all night. I still have a headache and high serotonin from it. Never will I ever touch a spore based probiotic again.

I'm trying to avoid vitamin D after overdosing on it all of 2020, and it making no positive difference health wise(I actually think it caused harm, but won't get into that)
I'm taking vitamin A at pretty high doses with some positive effects, but still the leaky gut persists.
I agree with you on the idea of a sterile gut being next to impossible to create or sustain and its outright dangerous to play around with your gut bacteria too much I think. Now that I've ruined mine, it's so hard to fix or bring back what I've messed up. I wish I had just stuck with thyroid and carrot salads rather than trying the phages. I thought they'd be harmless and help with some mild bloating.

OP
P

peateats1

For your consideration:
Although this article pertains specifically to Bactrim, many antibiotics along with many pharmaceutical drugs cause functional thiamine deficiency: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

You are showing the symptoms of gastrointestinal beriberi. Your gut is damaged, your ability to absorb thiamine is damaged, your ability to functionally utilize thiamine is damaged from the antibiotics. This does not just "go away" after some time has passed. You should investigate this issue. Here is an article: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

Sources for information:
also the search engine on this forum; search for "thiamine"

Here are a couple of videos for your consideration:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuIhjlFYYZY

and:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKmiZkiEPI

You're definitely right about the Bactrim! I only took it for four days and then stopped. That stuff is hard on the body and intestines.

I'm going to give the higher dose thiamine a try. I've got some thiamine hcl from bulk supplements that I can use. Thank you for those articles and videos!

OP
P

peateats1

Is the cottage cheese cultured and if so, have you tried dairy that doesn’t contain bacterial cultures/isn’t fermented? Could you be sensitive to the gelatin (I’m thinking you meant the powdered kind?) or the starch and/or potential mycotoxins in the chocolate?
The cottage cheese is daisy brand, so no cultures or anything extra added. I think the gelatin and chocolate are ok just because I usually get a pretty strong reaction if something is bothering me. Like if I eat an offending food or supplement I'll get itchy, a headache, and stuffy nose or other histamine/serotonin symptoms, and I don't have any of that from the gelatin or other foods I'm eating currently

OP
P

peateats1

I’m in the same boat ☹️ Don’t have a solution though..
Sorry you're also experiencing this...hopefully we'll be able to heal at some point. Gotta keep hoping something sticks and the body will be able to overcome this all. Did you also take phages, or was it caused by something else in your case?

japanesedude

I've had bad experience with Saccharomyces boulardii and Lactobacillus acidophilus
They both gave me joint and nerve pain everytime I took it and made me feel irritated. I believe It was an endotoxin reaction. If I were you I'd stick with Cypro.

Perry Staltic

I've had bad experience with Saccharomyces boulardii and Lactobacillus acidophilus
They both gave me joint and nerve pain everytime I took it and made me feel irritated. I believe It was an endotoxin reaction. If I were you I'd stick with Cypro.

I don't know anything about s. boulardii, but l. acidophilus produces a lot of D-lactate apparently, which some people claim causes problems.

Bart1

Sorry you're also experiencing this...hopefully we'll be able to heal at some point. Gotta keep hoping something sticks and the body will be able to overcome this all. Did you also take phages, or was it caused by something else in your case?
Yes I hope so too! I think my issues are caused by hemochromatosis (iron overload),which I haven't got under control yet and mold exposure. I've tried phages and things got worse gut wise, so that's why I made the connection. I'm trying to get my thiamin (b1) status up and hope it will help

Bart1

Funny Boulardii also caused joint pain with me when I go over 3 billion cfu

Daniil

I don't know anything about s. boulardii, but l. acidophilus produces a lot of D-lactate apparently, which some people claim causes problems.
Ray recommended them, probably because they release substances that kill other bacteria and fungi, that is, keep the intestines sterile. I tried them but didn't notice anything. The forum also discussed S. Boulardii

Daniil

The short-term bad reaction could be caused by bacteria fighting in the gut, so I would not pay attention to it

mostlylurking

You're definitely right about the Bactrim! I only took it for four days and then stopped. That stuff is hard on the body and intestines.

I'm going to give the higher dose thiamine a try. I've got some thiamine hcl from bulk supplements that I can use. Thank you for those articles and videos!
You're welcome.

I stopped the Bactrim last July. I got sicker and sicker until I was in a very bad way in October when I found that article about Bactrim blocking thiamine. It has taken me several months to optimize my thiamine supplement and get some semblance of health back. Bactrim is poison.

OP
P

peateats1

Yeah I agree....I tried s boulardii as well and it caused a burning sensation all through my gut basically. It was kind of scary and bizarre, so I gave it up.

OP
P

peateats1

Yes I hope so too! I think my issues are caused by hemochromatosis (iron overload),which I haven't got under control yet and mold exposure. I've tried phages and things got worse gut wise, so that's why I made the connection. I'm trying to get my thiamin (b1) status up and hope it will help
That's interesting about iron. Ever since I took the phages I've had liposfuscin type freckles and spots appear all over my face, while at the same time I'll get anemia symptoms. The body must be sequestering it in the tissues to help with the infection load.

Bart1

That's interesting about iron. Ever since I took the phages I've had liposfuscin type freckles and spots appear all over my face, while at the same time I'll get anemia symptoms. The body must be sequestering it in the tissues to help with the infection load.
I have increased lipofuscin as well and cherry angioma’s. Did you ever do an complete iron panel?

OP
P

peateats1

I have increased lipofuscin as well and cherry angioma’s. Did you ever do an complete iron panel?
I've got cherry angiomas too. In my whole life I've only ever had two pop up, but since I got sick in 2019, I have so many tiny ones everywhere...too many to even count now.

I haven't had an iron panel done, but definitely need to. My total iron in 2019 was near the top of the reference range...something like 133, with 139 being top of the range. I wonder if high iron is a root of all this?

Bart1

I've got cherry angiomas too. In my whole life I've only ever had two pop up, but since I got sick in 2019, I have so many tiny ones everywhere...too many to even count now.

I haven't had an iron panel done, but definitely need to. My total iron in 2019 was near the top of the reference range...something like 133, with 139 being top of the range. I wonder if high iron is a root of all this?
That could very well be, the cherry angioma’s could be a biotoxin, think moldy house/place you’ve been exposed to. If you mean by 133 ferritin that’s definitely too high, check that out, iron saturation should be lower then 40 at least better around 30

Belsazar

That could very well be, the cherry angioma’s could be a biotoxin, think moldy house/place you’ve been exposed to. If you mean by 133 ferritin that’s definitely too high, check that out, iron saturation should be lower then 40 at least better around 30
What would be a good ferritin level? (reference if possible) Isnt Transferrin + saturation a better marker?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals