Gut issues, E. coli, h pylori, help?

OP
eugenics4dumies
Update:
I went to a GI doctor, did a stool test. She said the only concerning thing she saw was the E. coli and that normally it's supposed to resolve itself, but if I want she can put me on Erythromycin. Any thoughts?

L_C

I would suggest manuka honey. Treat is like antibiotics that say "take away from food". Take it at bedtime and let it work at the bacteria all night.

"They found that Manuka honey from New Zealand, at concentrations as low as 5% v/v, completely inhibit the growth of H. pylori, and that 2.5% v/v partially inhibits the growth of H. pylori."

What brand of manuka honey do you have? And how much umf does it have?

What brand of manuka honey do you have? And how much umf does it have?
Buy a high UMF numbered one. I don’t buy the same brand all the time, so just get what you can find 15+ if you can find it. Take a tablespoon at bedtime away from food. Warning, it is expensive.

Rasaari

I agree, this is what I was thinking when I responded on the podcast, but its best to do under the guidance of an MD to avoid HUS.

Slowing bowel transit time with an anti-serotonin and decreasing secretions with an anti-cholinergic may be a poor idea as it may allow the toxins to remain in contact for a longer time period with the bowel epithelium.

The charcoal idea is the most ideal from that perspective although its a bandaid solution at best and not without its risks (inhibition of nutrient absorption). The charcoal would have to be timed appropriately to minimize the risk.

Likely a comprehensive approach would be required including anti-microbials, as well as biofilm disruptors, quorum sensing inhibitors, possibly probiotics, and other pro-metabolic/ nutrient repletion strategies. Dietary management would also be key here. Basically I dont see a silver bullet, even with a C&S, although a C&S would be quite helpful. As a side note, regardless of C&S results, avoidance of the flouroquinolones and flagyl would be ideal. Hopefully something like an augmentin would suffice. Combining abx with high polyphenol/ antimicrobial herbs may help to minimize resistance.
You are right, lowering serotonin would backfire badly due to the toxins not being excreted. Was thinking more about the quorum sensing inhibition in terms of that. I once lowered my serotonin with famotidine and lisuride and the toxins from constipation are 10x worse than elevated serotonin.

Charcoal would be kinda a bandaid in this case, a week of charcoal could help the intestinal lining heal. In the acute infection charcoal can get rid of it but now that it has established itself it can mostly alleviate.

Now that the infection has been established for years, getting 100% rid of it would require a pretty strong approach.
One that comes to mind is carvacrol from oregano oil, which not only increases sensitivity to antibiotics manyfold, it also destroys biofilms and helps the antibiotics penetrate. The problem with it is its extremely irritating and you need to get it in the intestines. When I used it I mixed it with C8 and put on carrots on empty stomach. Seemed to work somewhat. The caprylic acid enhances carvacrols penetration even more. Other biofilm disruptor I've experimented is nattokinase and it seems to do something. What disruptors and qs inhibitors were you thinking?

The quinolones are the worst for ehec, they increase the toxin production insanely, so does tmp. Toxin production and antibiotic response depends highly on the strain, Beta lactams usually increase it mildly, but the addition of clavulanic acid to amoxicillin somehow ameliorates the toxin production (in stx2). Macrolides and rifaximin don't increase toxins, and the other suitable antibiotics are for hospital use only.

Last edited:

Rasaari

Update:
I went to a GI doctor, did a stool test. She said the only concerning thing she saw was the E. coli and that normally it's supposed to resolve itself, but if I want she can put me on Erythromycin. Any thoughts?
You should try the erythromycin. Hopefully it will work.

Update:
“The research data has confirmed that Manuka honey's antibacterial activity, in comparison to non-Manuka honey, is due to a higher phenolic and methylglyoxal content. Manuka honey can be safely used as an alternative natural antibiotic, which exerts a stimulating effect on macrophages to release mediators needed for tissue healing and reducing microbial infections. Unique Manuka Factor (UMF), which depends on methylglyoxal content is also important for honey's antibacterial activity. Other active components include hydrogen peroxide, acidic pH level, hyper-osmolality effect and bee defensin-1 etc. Finally, the conclusion is that honey is a natural and safe antibiotic, since no literature published has reported bacterial resistance for honey, which is attributed to the complexity of honey components working solely or in a synergistic manner with other components.”

“Research has been conducted on manuka (L. scoparium) honey[27], which has been demonstrated to be effective against several human pathogens, including Escherichia coli (E. coli), Enterobacter aerogenes, Salmonella typhimurium, S. aureus.”

Korven

Update:

Another option that may or may not be suitable in your situation (not a doctor!) are e.coli probiotics such as Mutaflor that you can buy from Europe. These contain non-pathogenic e.coli and compete with/crowd out more pathogenic strains of like ETEC and EPEC. Symbioflor 2 is another one. I think there's a thread on the forum about Mutaflor.

OP
eugenics4dumies
Another option that may or may not be suitable in your situation (not a doctor!) are e.coli probiotics such as Mutaflor that you can buy from Europe. These contain non-pathogenic e.coli and compete with/crowd out more pathogenic strains of like ETEC and EPEC. Symbioflor 2 is another one. I think there's a thread on the forum about Mutaflor.
I'm at work and haven't had time to look into the erythromycin yet. But if it seems safe I'll probably try it. Not sure if it's coincidental, but ever since starting the manuka, symptoms have gotten much better. I'll look into the Mutaflor also. Thank you guys so much for your ideas.
“Research has been conducted on manuka (L. scoparium) honey[27], which has been demonstrated to be effective against several human pathogens, including Escherichia coli (E. coli), Enterobacter aerogenes, Salmonella typhimurium, S. aureus.”

You should try the erythromycin. Hopefully it will work.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals