Why Are Bodybuilders Bald?

Zigzag

I think it's quite simple. DHT promotes skull growth, that's why women in general dont go bald. Some men are just more prone to that. That's it.

schultz

If it wasn't genetic we'd already have it fixed.

Does that mean every human ailment that we currently have not fixed has to be genetic, because otherwise we would have fixed them all by now?

I think it's quite simple. DHT promotes skull growth, that's why women in general dont go bald. Some men are just more prone to that. That's it.

How does skull growth cause hair loss?

DJ123

Does that mean every human ailment that we currently have not fixed has to be genetic, because otherwise we would have fixed them all by now?

How does skull growth cause hair loss?
Restriction of bloodflow to the hair follicles i.e. MPB.

Peater

You have to be trolling
Hairloss in women isn't UNcommon. It's usually thyroid related - peat 101.

Apple

Restriction of bloodflow to the hair follicles i.e. MPB.
The theory of restricted bloodflow holds no water. I notice the more manipulations I do with my scalp/hair to increase bloodflow the worse my hair looks. Probably it increases supplying my hair with bad substances like DHT, iron and others. Also a better blood flow may contribute to decreased fat under skin in those areas which is not good.

Since I started "peating" and my hairline only worsened. I came to thinking that all that RayPeat/DannyRoddy thing about hair is actually "anti hair". Comparatively low lowfiber diet , high cheese/milk consumption , coffee, sugar, salt...compose rather androgenic diet. Bodybuilders training even without steroids naturally increases androgen levels too. On top of that milk products contain growth hormone which may cotribute to skull expantion. Men with less masculine faces always have better hair.

While I find that "Peat" diet makes me feel good and more energetic our hair may need completely opposite, say pro-estrogenic diet with increased amount of fiber. I read some study about how rice bran may decrease testosterone level. I live in a country where pizza and cheese are consumed in great amount. As well as cofffee with sugar. While young people's hair may look pretty thick and healthy most people after 40 have big bold spots. Or maybe it is because young people consume lots of french fries in McDonalds while older people (of Italian/Spanish descent here) eat more traditionally(more cheese, less PUFA), go figure. Other observation is that in poor families where cheese/coffee consumption is low (cheese is still comparatively costly product) older man have pretty good hairline with much less grey hair. Meat consumption is high among all groups.

I will probably go "antipeat" in my diet for a while but still with limited PUFA.

Last edited:

GorillaHead

The theory of restricted bloodflow holds no water. I notice the more manipulations I do with my scalp/hair to increase bloodflow the worse my hair looks. Probably it increases supplying my hair with bad substances like DHT, iron and others.

Since I started "peating" and my hairline only worsened. I came to thinking that all that RayPeat/DannyRoddy thing about hair is actually "anti hair". Comparatively low lowfiber diet , high cheese/milk consumption , coffee, sugar, salt...compose rather androgenic diet. Bodybuilders training even without steroids naturally increases androgen levels too. On top of that milk products contain growth hormone which may cotribute to skull expantion. Also men with less masculine faces always have better hair.

While I find that "Peat" diet makes me feel good and more energetic our hair may need completely opposite, say pro-estrogenic diet with increased amount of fiber. I read some study about how rice bran may decrease testosterone level. I live in a country where pizza and cheese are consumed in great amount. As well as cofffee with sugar. While young people's hair may look pretty thick and healthy most people after 40 have big bold spots. Or maybe it is because young people consume lots of french fries in McDonalds while older people (of Italian/Spanish descent) eat more traditionally(more cheese, less PUFA), go figure. Other observation is that in poor families where cheese/coffee consumption is low (cheese is still comparatively costly product) older man have pretty good hairline with much less grey hair. Meat consumption is high among all groups of people.

I will probably go "antipeat" in my diet for a while but still with limited PUFA.

Skull expansion just doesnt hold water. I have thinning all over my scalp. Even the sides above my ears and nape

heres is 10 years worth of daily photos of one man balding over those years .
You will notice is skull practically is the exact same size as before. Skull expansion is an illusion. I have thinned everywhere so what my head is expanding in every direction. Sweet anyday now it will pop i guess.
My thyroid is functioning well tsh is at 1. No defeciencies or diseases .

tankasnowgod

I would ask again, why aren't bodybuilders losing hair?
Why Are Bodybuilders Bald?

Good points, the more accurate question would be "Why are some bodybuilders bald, while others aren't and just shave their head for competitions, while others aren't bald and don't shave their head?" But that wouldn't be as catchy a title.

Is the percentage even that different from the number of bald males of similar age in the general population?

GorillaHead

Good points, the more accurate question would be "Why are some bodybuilders bald, while others aren't and just shave their head for competitions, while others aren't bald and don't shave their head?" But that wouldn't be as catchy a title.

Is the percentage even that different from the number of bald males of similar age in the general population?

Honestly a study that measures dht and estrogen in the scalp of 18 year olds. 25 year olds and 15 year old guys paired with the extent of any hairloss if any. would give us so much data. Either no one gives a ***t about truly curing the problem or these studies have been done and arent published

Apple

Skull expansion just doesnt hold water. I have thinning all over my scalp.
I agree, skull expansion is just a theory, not proven but it may explain hairloss for some people. Like many other theories on hairloss. I mentioned that only to show a link between dairy and its possible contribution to skull expansion. Our skull continues to grow/develop during the whole life unlike other bones. So if one wants to look younger it maybe better to inhibit that growth. Also it doesn't have to be very visible, skull may expand/calcify while surrounding undeskin fat is decreasing in balding areas.

Last edited:

meatbag

The old school body builders weren't. They ate a kind of peaty diet, eggs, milk, meat, etc.

Body builders nowadays live on whey, fish oil, peanut butter, low carb, Ca:P ratio of 1:10, etc (I myself ate this way when I lost most of my hair-thanks t-nation...), and take stuff like hgh, SARMS, etc. It really shouldn't be that suprising.

I think the skull expansion may be from estrogen. You kinda notice it in people who use highly estrogenic steroids (look at baseball players)

Last edited:

meatbag

Also danny roddy has pointed out that people with baldness have blood flow insufficiency in the scalp;
In a 2002 paper, Dr. Gerard Seery warns that surgical intervention in the galea is, "difficult and bloody", and that the galea, when compared to other regions of the scalp, is particularly unforgiving to medical mistakes. Perhaps the increased number of complications involving the galea is due to the false belief that it has a "superabundant blood supply",[15] which appears to be related to the genesis of baldness.

In 1980 Klemp et al. concluded that blood supply is reduced in bald tissues relative to controls.[16] In 1990 Toshitani et al. demonstrated relatively reduced flow in the central scalp of male-pattern baldness patients.[17] In 1996 Goldman found significant microvascular insufficiency in regions of the scalp that lose hair and an associated relative tissue hypoxia.[18]

A reduction of peripheral blood flow isn't a random event; hormones and signaling substances direct the phenomenon. For example, in the 1970s W.D. Denckla found that the activation of the pituitary reduced the peripheral tissues (e.g., hands, head, feet, etc.) response to thyroid hormones, decreasing their oxygen consumption.[19] The pituitary activates the parasympathetic nervous system and has a direct connection to mast cells throughout the body.

Mast cells are found in most tissues but are particularly concentrated in locations that are in close contact with the external environment, such as skin, hair follicles, airways, and intestines. As early as 1975, it's been known that balding areas of the scalp contain an increased number of mast cells.[20]
-The Danny Roddy Weblog

Also here's an interesting post by haidut showing how estrogen seems to produce calcification of soft-tissue and things like testosterone and vitamin-e seem to reverse it.
"As the study below states, some of those well-known (back in the 1960s, that is) endogenous agents triggerring soft-tissue calcification (calciphylaxis) include estrogen, serotonin and parathyroid hormone (PTH)"
"“…It is a well known fact that the calcium avidity of soft tissues increases with advancing age. In elderly patients, gross calcification often occurs in the cardiovascular system, cartilaginous structures, tendons, periarticular tissues and cataracts; furthermore, calcareous concretions tend to appear in the pineal gland, prostate, or the urinary passages"
Vitamin E, anabolic / catatoxic steroids, egg yolks stop soft tissue calcification and (maybe) even aging – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Instead of ascribing everything to "genetics" like most might naturally do, balding seems to have to be looked at from very many combinational causes possibly (look at correlations with CHD to vertex balding; the "hairy body and hairless head" examples; the "out of nowhere" balding guy; the "always balding" guy; etc.). Many here might post something like they've "figured it out" or such, but it doesn't work for the next person or they can't fully maximize these findings -- hence it is multifaceted most likely and needs a deeper understanding to correct/reverse properly from a general point of view. In fact, one trying to deliberately ascribe one series of conditionals that meet the guidelines of balding to one set of "rules" or so is probably more so arguing on the basis of genetic control over a variety of epigenetic, hormonal, mechanical, etc. variances (from simple mRNA to whole organism health from every level of science/understanding) that can ultimately lead to the same similarities anyways it seems.

If it is just progesterone low or DHT this or weak thyroid that or etc., we'd see cookie-cutter examples all lining up of people perfectly fitting this bald stereotype that always had the same ranges of hormones and whatnot matching this preconception. I notice people here who do everything "right" to prevent or work against balding and it doesn't work well from those approaches usually -- same with people who did everything "wrong" and still mostly prevent the process. I'm not saying it's genetic because that doesn't mean anything by itself without further detailing and argument -- just noticing that it's not a one-track issue or such. Sure, a lot of general ideas make sense and have evidence behind them, but there are still too many gaps in-between to nail this down 100%.

meatbag

Instead of ascribing everything to "genetics" like most might naturally do, balding seems to have to be looked at from very many combinational causes possibly (look at correlations with CHD to vertex balding; the "hairy body and hairless head" examples; the "out of nowhere" balding guy; the "always balding" guy; etc.). Many here might post something like they've "figured it out" or such, but it doesn't work for the next person or they can't fully maximize these findings -- hence it is multifaceted most likely and needs a deeper understanding to correct/reverse properly from a general point of view. In fact, one trying to deliberately ascribe one series of conditionals that meet the guidelines of balding to one set of "rules" or so is probably more so arguing on the basis of genetic control over a variety of epigenetic, hormonal, mechanical, etc. variances (from simple mRNA to whole organism health from every level of science/understanding) that can ultimately lead to the same similarities anyways it seems.

If it is just progesterone low or DHT this or weak thyroid that or etc., we'd see cookie-cutter examples all lining up of people perfectly fitting this bald stereotype that always had the same ranges of hormones and whatnot matching this preconception. I notice people here who do everything "right" to prevent or work against balding and it doesn't work well from those approaches usually -- same with people who did everything "wrong" and still mostly prevent the process. I'm not saying it's genetic because that doesn't mean anything by itself without further detailing and argument -- just noticing that it's not a one-track issue or such. Sure, a lot of general ideas make sense and have evidence behind them, but there are still too many gaps in-between to nail this down 100%.

I agree there are a lot of variables, I think we are just trying to understand how different things influence the structure and function and how we can apply this information

baccheion

Cortisol and insulin curve up with age (after 25), while DHEA goes down. As these are the major changes, they just may capture the trigger in those predisposed.

Higher insulin in such a fashion parallels insulin resistance, something that results in lower SHBG and higher free DHT/androgens.

There is also likely some association with excess parathyroid activity, prolactin/cortisol/stress, etc.

How often do those with a parathyroidectomy go bald? I bet it's much lower or nonexistent, suggesting relevance of boron (vitamin D3, calcium,) and other approaches that quiet such activity.

Inaut

Cortisol and insulin curve up with age (after 25), while DHEA goes down. As these are the major changes, they just may capture the trigger in those predisposed.

Higher insulin in such a fashion parallels insulin resistance, something that results in lower SHBG and higher free DHT/androgens.

There is also likely some association with excess parathyroid activity, prolactin/cortisol/stress, etc.

How often do those with a parathyroidectomy go bald? I bet it's much lower or nonexistent, suggesting relevance of boron (vitamin D3, calcium,) and other approaches that quiet such activity.

Good posts @baccheion and @ScurveDream . Thanks

InChristAlone

That’s interesting because as for the post, while I am after the typical androgenic type as described by the other poster (full hair, few body hair, lean muscular build, high sex drive) and I’d say I naturally always was like that (quite thin, long, full hair, no body hair except legs) I don’t have the sex drive.

Or rather high sex drive (desire for sex) but weak erections. Also classic high Histamine symptoms like sneezing especially after lots of peat diet things like orange juice.

So what I do is look up symptoms of histedelia and I find this which shockingly describes me:

Histadelia.jpg

What would you say in that case? Would lowering histamine be beneficial?
I fit that description except body hair, I've always had dark leg hair and such. My fingers are super long, veins prominent. Not profuse sweating. Though I had night sweats at the time I was dealing with the most symptoms. What has been super duper helpful for me was ascorbic acid. It helps with histamine all around.

Kunstruct

Why is this hardcore bodybuilder not bald?
Evan Centopani is 37yr

Last edited:

rei

He has good posture. Putting muscle on postural damage makes the tension worse, which results in restricted blood flow, and eventual baldness.

Jpkoepse

Hair is the antenna for intuition, and they clearly have none. To me they resemble insects. Even the apes would reject them.
You mean that? Every niche group has their annoying people but there are quite a few in the BB world that are really solid good people, just misunderstood by the general public. You probably have a lot more in common with these people regarding interests etc than regular people on the streets.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals