I Just Have To Ask - Scandinavian Baldness

FinnRooney

It’s been bothering me for so long, I just cannot put the pieces together. Why is it every time there’s a picture of scandenavian people the men are SO bald/balding. Most of my family is what you’d call ‘Black Irish’ (white skin, dark features) and males in my extended family have no noticeable hair loss and I know for most Irish men, hair loss isn’t that common (more so amoungst blonde or red haired people).

For nations that are meant to be so healthy, why is baldness so common. (Ps Finland consumes the most milk and most coffee per capita in the world). And I don’t believe the vitamin d argument is necessarily valid as it seems to fall apart if you look at eskimos with virtually no hair loss).

OP
F

FinnRooney

oh and sorry, I mentioned Ireland because it would most likely be argued as being significantly less ‘healthy’ than Scandinavian countries.

Cameron

My friend is Scandinavian and so am I he is completely bald at 30withfull huge beard I am 25 fullhead of hair less beard growth. Tho we look like brothers I do believe androgens age hormones there sensitivity stress posture etc etc etc play a lot to do with things even though we think genes and ethnicity hold all the answers how it should be. We are both blonde same weight build but he is a big pot smoker and drinker

lvysaur

genes.

I also don't think that Scandinavian nations are the "healthiest".

Cameron

genes.

I also don't think that Scandinavian nations are the "healthiest".
Maybe not monder times no but I do well with milk meat seafood eggs potatoes fruit in season not too far from what our scandanavian ancestors ate and florished on

Cameron

Every since I ate more like that and well peaty in general my hair grew much thicker and skin is healthier then anyone I know

lvysaur

I do well with milk meat seafood eggs potatoes fruit
Well yes, you just described a Peat diet.

Pretty sure ancient scandis didn't have potatoes though. Fruit was basically nonexistent as well, apart from lingonberries a few weeks out of the year.

Cameron

Well yes, you just described a Peat diet.

Pretty sure ancient scandis didn't have potatoes though. Fruit was basically nonexistent as well, apart from lingonberries a few weeks out of the year.
I know fruit was hard to come by but thought potatoes were a staple maybe not I'll look more into it now a days it's processed grain and pufa and little quality meat and dairy

Cameron

Scandinavians have high androgen receptor sensitivity so dht and cortisol and estrogen may have something to do with baldness dht to a very little impact just enough to maybe create a smaller scalp follicle

Queequeg

those leather helmets with the horns are very damaging to hair follicles.

lvysaur

but thought potatoes were a staple
They only got there 300 years ago
Scandinavians have high androgen receptor sensitivity so dht and cortisol and estrogen may have something to do with
Interesting if true. Do you have a source for that information?
those leather helmets with the horns are very damaging to hair follicles.
They never actually wore those, they're purely a pop culture stereotype.

OP
F

FinnRooney

its because they are tall. seems taller people go bald faster.
Sorry what I mean is, I don’t think you’re wrong, I just don’t think height is the deciding factor. I would agree though that height has its own problems as in, calorie intake would have to be higher, poor posture would be more common.

Runenight201

People are balding rapidly all over the world in any country touched by industrialization.

Those who are susceptible to balding bald, but that doesn’t mean that a proper diet can’t prevent the balding or regrowth from occurring.

Waynish

1) Those countries aren't "so healthy" anymore. They have plenty of problems - especially mental health, in my experience.
2) There are plenty of old men in Scandinavia with full heads of hair, which I've seen with my own eyes.

I think you're going to need more to deduce the cause of male pattern baldness, but epidemiology can be useful...

InChristAlone

My Grandpa is German with a full head of hair at 85. He didn't even go grey til later yrs. Plus he is type 2 diabetic (well controlled).

EtienneAmelie

People are balding rapidly all over the world in any country touched by industrialization.

Do you have statistics that back up this claim ?
While studying history, reading old medicinal treatises or simply reading novels I kind of came to the conclusion that balding seems to have happened since forever.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Do you have statistics that back up this claim ?
While studying history, reading old medicinal treatises or simply reading novels I kind of came to the conclusion balding seems to have happened since forever.

I think the prevalence of balding has significantly increased since the industrialization of our food supply.

Balding itself is a disorder of excessive stress, so I have no doubt that it’s been occurring forever, but the amount of young men facing balding I believe has increased.

It could just be that since we have more people now it appears that more men are dealing with balding.

No statistics, just my musings.

agnar

i have been wondering about this too, being scandinavian. however, it should be mentioned that older men often tend to have thick hair, full heads of hair. the leaner they are, the more likely you are to see this.. i believe the cause to be a combination of beer consumption, as well as the fact that literally everything has some sort of "plant oil" added here. for example, you basically can't find bread without canola oil added

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals