The Sweet Truth About Liver And Egg Yolks

freal

I am wondering how heat stable is choline, if someone was to like almost burn his scrambled eggs would choline be heat stable, not to say just hard boiling them?
I cant find anything on this topic?

Mittir

Choline is very hygroscopic, very soluble in water, and is stable to heat in acid, but decomposes in alkaline solutions
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5738e/x5738e07.htm#1.11 choline
RP recommends egg yolk and liver mainly for vitamin A.
Retinol ester is heat and light sensitive.
Retention rates of retinyl palmitate were 88% and 90% following 90 min of boiling and 40 min of cooking under pressure, respectively; however, repeated cycles of frying and storage resulted in a progressive loss of Vitamin A content depending on the number of times the oil was reused [17]. Despite this decline, more than 58% of Vitamin A content remained following four pan-fryings of potatoes at 115–117 °C, demonstrating the overall stability of retinyl palmitate in oil with a variety of food preparation techniques [17,37]. In a more recent study, there was a significant amount of retinyl palmitate retained following 30 h of frying at 185 °C in palm, corn, and soybean oil, with the highest retention rate in palm oil [18]. Although temperature stability continues to be the primary focus of oil fortification studies, it is also important to consider the effects of peroxide and acid on fortified vegetable oil stability, especially in light of industry and government regulations. For example, one study published in 2012 found a significant increase in retinyl palmitate decay once the peroxide levels in oil were increased to more than 2 mEq of active oxygen per gram [38]. Of the many countries that have started to fortify vegetable oils with Vitamin A within the last decade,most have kept a standard peroxide value of less than 10 mEq/g for fortified vegetable oil [38]. Therefore, it is recommended to consider adjusting the peroxide and acid values for fortified vegetable oil to fit national standards and preserve retinyl palmitate content.
http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/5/8/3257/pdf

jyb

Mittir said:
RP recommends egg yolk and liver mainly for vitamin A.
Retinol ester is heat and light sensitive.

Don't you absolutely need the biotin from the eggs too?

freal

I found that niacin will interfere by inhibitng the release of fatty acids from the liver. I even found a study where excess niacin dramatically increase the need for choline.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/85/1/107.full.pdf

Excess niacin will block choline. There were studies were they produced fatty liver with just supplementing a lot of niacin. I dont know if excess nicotinamide (niacinamide) will do that??

I dont know what a 0.15% choline (or niacin) diet means, is that by calorie (how much calories is there in gram of choline), by weight or something else?

freal

Peata said:
Fatty liver and fibrosis in glycine N-methyltransferase knockout mice is prevented by nicotinamide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20578266

That does not look at fatty liver produced either by methionine-choline deficient diet (or high fructose and saturated fat intake with insufficient choline). It does not look at relationship between choline or anything of this sort.

But after searching some more it seems that in animal models you could cause fatty liver with supplementing a lot of niacinamide just like with niacin (nicotinic acid).

Agent207

Here's the sweet truth about egg yolks:

0.7 g PUFA each :(

That's for the crappy ones, from grain fed industrial farming. True lifelong eggs from pastured hens have over 1gr polyunsaturated fat.

"Compared to eggs of the commercial hens, eggs from pastured hens had twice as much vitamin E and long-chain omega-3 fats, more than double the total omega-3 fatty acids, and less than half the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids"
Research shows eggs from pastured chickens may be more nutritious | Penn State University
pastured-vs-conventional-eggs.jpg

Calories in Simple Truth - Eggs, Vegetarian Fed | Nutrition and Health Facts

Last edited:

DaveFoster

That's for the crappy ones, from grain fed industrial farming. True lifelong eggs from pastured hens have over 1gr polyunsaturated fat.

"Compared to eggs of the commercial hens, eggs from pastured hens had twice as much vitamin E and long-chain omega-3 fats, more than double the total omega-3 fatty acids, and less than half the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids"
Research shows eggs from pastured chickens may be more nutritious | Penn State University
pastured-vs-conventional-eggs.jpg

Calories in Simple Truth - Eggs, Vegetarian Fed | Nutrition and Health Facts
It's a good thing too; we need those heart-healthy omega-3's.

@Such_Saturation

bistecca

Chickens like bugs! that's what most birds in the wild eat at the most important times of their lives, when they're getting ready to lay eggs and when the chicks are young!

michael94

Chickens like bugs! that's what most birds in the wild eat at the most important times of their lives, when they're getting ready to lay eggs and when the chicks are young!

why dont we just eat bugs ourselfs

bistecca

Um 1. they're not palatable, 2, they're not palatable, 3.chitin(fiber found in bug exoskeletons) may be problematic, i recall ray mentioning this in a post 4.i prefer to eat things that are cute/fuzzy, 5.farming them isn't really at scale yet and if it was i would still just feed them to my chickens or ducks and then eat them.

michael94

Um 1. they're not palatable, 2, they're not palatable, 3.chitin may be problematic, 4.i prefer to eat things that are cute/fuzzy, 5.farming them isn't really at scale yet and if it was i would still just feed them to my chickens or ducks and then eat them.

freeze dried crickets taste kind of like sunflower seeds and also come in powdered form, they are farmed on a huge scale and might be worth trying for ur cute fuzzy animals ...

michael94

Um 1. they're not palatable, 2, they're not palatable, 3.chitin(fiber found in bug exoskeletons) may be problematic, i recall ray mentioning this in a post 4.i prefer to eat things that are cute/fuzzy, 5.farming them isn't really at scale yet and if it was i would still just feed them to my chickens or ducks and then eat them.
what does chitin do

bistecca

I would have the same concerns about bulk farmed crickets that i do about bulk farmed anything.. what is their feed, is it appropriate?

bistecca

One of many substances produced by plants in response to injury is chitinase, an enzyme that breaks down chitin, a polysaccharide that is a structural component of fungi and insects. Chitinase, which is produced by bacteria and humans, as well as by plants and other organisms, is involved in developmental processes as well as in the innate immune system. In plants, the enzyme is induced by ethylene and salicylate, in animals by estrogen, light damage, and infections, and can be demonstrated in polyps and cancers.

The two main classes of plant allergens are the stress-induced chitinases, and seed storage proteins, such as gluten. The chitinase allergens are responsible for reactions to latex (which is secreted by rubber trees in reaction to a wound), bananas, avocados, many other fruits and vegetables, and some types of wood and other plant materials. Intensive agricultural methods are increasing the formation of the defensive chemicals, and the industrialized crops are responsible for the great majority of the new allergies that have appeared in the last 30 years.

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

michael94

One of many substances produced by plants in response to injury is chitinase, an enzyme that breaks down chitin, a polysaccharide that is a structural component of fungi and insects. Chitinase, which is produced by bacteria and humans, as well as by plants and other organisms, is involved in developmental processes as well as in the innate immune system. In plants, the enzyme is induced by ethylene and salicylate, in animals by estrogen, light damage, and infections, and can be demonstrated in polyps and cancers.

The two main classes of plant allergens are the stress-induced chitinases, and seed storage proteins, such as gluten. The chitinase allergens are responsible for reactions to latex (which is secreted by rubber trees in reaction to a wound), bananas, avocados, many other fruits and vegetables, and some types of wood and other plant materials. Intensive agricultural methods are increasing the formation of the defensive chemicals, and the industrialized crops are responsible for the great majority of the new allergies that have appeared in the last 30 years.

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

isnt that talking about chitinase not chitin being bad

bistecca

If you eat chitin, there is a good chance your microbiome will produce it to break down the chitin, and i don't KNOW but i have a suspicion that chronic bacterial overgrowth in the bowel is probably accompanied by higher than average endogenous production of chitinase. This is just my line of thought, not something i have 100% convincing evidence to support. I think bugs are, from an evolutionary perspective, a secondary, starvation sort of food source. I'm all for minimizing ecological impact and eating down on the food chain, but i think oysters, sardines, rabbit, duck etc is about as low and small as I would go.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals