17 Super Snacks "Not All Ray Peat Approved"

J

j.

I thought the ideal Peat diet was known already, narouz? Why are you still talking about this?

Ideal Peat Diet:

Proteins from potato protein juice, milk, cheese, gelatinous meat cuts, eggs. Liver and shellfish between 1 and 4 times a month.
Carbs from well-grown, ripe, and sweet strained orange juice, grapes, and watermelons.
Fats from coconut oil, butter, milk, cheese, some saturated animal fat.
Plus coffee, chocolate, salt, sugar, baking soda.

narouz

j. said:
I thought the ideal Peat diet was known already, narouz? Why are you still talking about this?

Ideal Peat Diet:

Proteins from potato protein juice, milk, cheese, gelatinous meat cuts, eggs. Liver and shellfish between 1 and 4 times a month.
Carbs from well-grown, ripe, and sweet strained orange juice, grapes, and watermelons.

Well: Done and Done!

narouz

j. said:

Ideal Peat Diet:

Oh wait: that's a List! :eek:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:nocomment

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
From the Tao:

In governing, don't try to control

Since I am sort of in a governing position, I am trying to heed the wisdom above.

On that note. I probably messed up when asking "Pete" to settle down with his political talk. Instead, the community should have dealt with it if they felt they needed to. Just because I am sick of hearing how bad "they" are doing us, doesn't mean the next person is. And if they are, then they can handle that in the way they feel fit. My apologies to Pete on this matter.

So, in that regard. Do not expect much "control" around here. As Ray Peat thinks, that we should be able to govern ourselves, Ghandi also thought the same, and I agree. Moderation in the future will only be made in last resort scenarios when there is no other choice. You have a voice here, please feel free to use it if you like, and not feel that someone is going to "moderate" you.

narouz

Velly good, Chahlie.
"The Charlie that can be spoken is not the eternal Charlie."

SheilaHelm1

kettlebell said:
Peatarian,

You write (and probably speak) better English than I do, and i'm English and pretty well educated!

Narouz and Peatarian, I love your exchanges. Its like reading a really good book.

Second that emotion!! :lol: Makes me chuckle reading them both, they rock!!!!!

kiran

SheilaHelm1 said:
kettlebell said:
Peatarian,

You write (and probably speak) better English than I do, and i'm English and pretty well educated!

Narouz and Peatarian, I love your exchanges. Its like reading a really good book.

Second that emotion!! :lol: Makes me chuckle reading them both, they rock!!!!!

Am I the only one who has trouble focusing on what Narouz says?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No trouble here.

narouz

Well, ya know Charlie,
now that I think of it,
there was that thing a few months back
(what I wouldn't give to forget it!)
when I posted my thread
about trying to index the entirity of Peat's interviews,
and you said--if I'm remembering this correctly--
that you threw up spontaneously on your keyboard,
and walked trembling and amnesiac in the woods for several days.
Oh yeah: and the turkey-like, gobbling sounds or somesuch when they found you....
[edit: sorry, turkey vulture--that hideous hissing.]

http://mirror-pole.com/collpage/tv/tv.htm

I'm so sorry I did that to you, man.
I've never really forgiven myself.

I guess that would qualify as a kind of inability to focus on my writings...? :roll:

I think Kiran may be on to something.

Attachments

• turkey vulture.jpg
    turkey vulture.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 580

Ray-Z

narouz said:
You know, I think the New Yorker had a long review of that book which I read with interest, and Taleb appeared on some of the newsy shows I watched at the time. Alas, the evil PUFA has left me with little clear memory of his thesis.

If you can tolerate Taleb's style (I rather enjoy it), the book is great fun. It touches on philosophy, mathematics, history, finance, psychology...

narouz said:
I agree about benefitting from example diets here. But I'd have to say I misunderstood some of Peat's ideas. And how they fit together: not just correct foods, but correct proportions, correct timing, etc. That is what I meant to convey when I said Peat does not "systematize" it. Maybe not the best word. There are a hell of a lot of ideas! And because they are all floating around out there, loose, well, one thing that I did wrong was to seize upon ONE that appealed to me because it was more COMFORTABLE or FAMILIAR and run with it. Like the starch thing. I ate a lot of potatoes (with lots of butter!) and rice and tortilas. I think that contributed to my fatness. Once I somewhat wrapped my brain around the WHOLE of Peat's general dietary principles and ideas, I could see better how it all might fit together, and I think I began eating more like he thinks is healthy.

I accept your point here but will just add that most of the sample diets on this site do not include the "all-you-can-eat" portions of 'taters you and I were consuming. So either approach ("starting point" Peaty diet or examples) would have fixed this problem.

narouz said:
It is unsurprising that many Peatians view with suspicion or even contempt what they imagine to be somebody trying to Force some Dogma or Orthodoxy down their throats. Or even some Generalities. The battle cries ring out: To Generalize is the Lie! To Summarize is to Destroy!

:rolling

narouz said:
On "...the rule of interpretation that the specific trumps the general..."
I guess I don't see that rule as applicable for what I have in mind.
I mean, in some human endeavors, especially artistic endeavors, certainly the specific is crucial.
Does it trump the general?
I wouldn't think so...seems like they best go hand-in-hand.

Suppose you tell me, "Ray-Z, you eat too many vegetables. For the following reasons, I recommend cutting back..." Then later in the same conversation, you say "Ray-Z, eating a raw carrot daily would solve some of the problems you're having." Instead of interpreting these statements as contradictory, we might say that the more specific statement (eat a carrot) trumps or qualifies or creates an exception to the more general statement (don't eat veggies).

All I meant was that the apparently contradictory and relatively abstract quotes you provided shouldn't create problems for a Peatarian trying to decide what to eat, because Peat's more specific statements about sugar, starch, dairy, and so forth trump or qualify those abstract quotes. I was making the narrow point that if you want to convince me that Peat is confusing or inconsistent in his dietary recommendations, you need to choose different quotes. :mrgreen:

narouz said:
I agree that one could make explicit some of this shared understanding, and that doing so could be helpful in clarifying one's own understanding of Peat. Where I think we may disagree is what would best help forum members to apply Peat's ideas.

Fair enough. Why not, then, both?
But remember: I think there would be other values in expressing a general, approximate Peat diet.
It could be, I think, a valuable reference point
clarifying a LOT of what we attempt to communicate here.

Our priorities differ, but I think you've satisfied my concerns about this project. :cool:

narouz said:
Yeah...Phil is lookin' kinda rough.
Is he ever gettin' out?

IIRC, he becomes eligible for parole...around the mid-2020s. :shock:

J

j.

kiran said:
I'm beginning to wonder whether certain things can't be done in a concise manner.

i was going to say something not nice about narouz, joking, but i can't bring myself to do it. :)

johnwester130

yoyo bear fruit snacks - 3 ingredients

trafo cocnut oil crisps - 3 ingredients. jackson's for USA customers.

johnwester130

my personal list :

jackson's chips
trafo coconut oil chips for UK customers
haribo gold
yoyo bear fruit snacks - 3 ingredients
home made fudge (can be bought on ebay) - 3 ingredients
high quality chocolate (not raw chocolate which is toxic) , also avoid soy lecithin chocolate.

Hugh Johnson

Ideal Peat Diet:

Everyone is an individual. There is no ideal diet that applies to everyone.

Gigs

Re: 17 super snacks

The bold parts are not Peat. Maybe you read the article I linked you?

A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions. Ray Peat 2012

Mary Pruter

I'm trying to help a neighbor of mine that going through chemo treatments and has lost his appetite. He told me he drinks ensure and boost. I told him that that is not very good for him at all he told his doctor about it and his doctor agreed with me. I am thinking of a smoothie but I'm not sure of all the good things he should be adding to the Smoothie to help him heal and get through this chemo. Can anyone suggest something for a smoothie or anything else that might help a person who has lost her appetite due to cancer treatment?