The Sweet Truth About Liver And Egg Yolks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The Sweet Truth About Liver and Egg Yolks -- Choline Matters More to Fatty Liver Than Sugar, Alcohol, or Fat

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/ ... 7927617678

After studying the relevant literature and tracing it much further back in time than anyone else ever bothers to, I've come to the conclusion that neither fat nor sugar nor booze are the master criminals here. Rather, these mischeivous dudes are just the lackeys of the head honcho, choline deficiency. That's right, folks, it's the disappearance of liver and egg yolks from the American diet that takes most of the blame.

pboy

After researcing acetylcholine (the neurotransmittor) i begin thinking about how choline might actually
be extremely important, being that it is utilized for so many things in the body. I was on a vegan diet for a while
and begin drinking massive amounts of wheatgrass juice (its really the only vegan source of choline that you can supplement with, beer, mulberries, and mushrooms also have a pretty good amount) and immediately noticed better
digestion and just a feeling of alertness and mood improvement. Just my 2 cents, I think choline is very important for overall body functioning...its also present in signicifant amounts in human milk which correlates to this.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Clint over at RP fans thinks its so important he eats 4 egg yolks a day to get it. I am eating 3 egg yolks a day right now, and also getting a good amount of liver so I think I should be covered.

narouz

Charlie said:
Clint over at RP fans thinks its so important he eats 4 egg yolks a day to get it. I am eating 3 egg yolks a day right now, and also getting a good amount of liver so I think I should be covered.

So, Charlie...you toss the egg whites?
Are the egg whites not good in PeatLand
(I can't remember exactly how that works)...?

J

j.

I think it depends on what you want. All the vitamin A in eggs is in the yolk.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
Charlie said:

Yes, I toss the whites as they are inflammatory. The whites can also interfere with absorption of biotin but it is lessened supposedly if you they are cooked.

bradley

do you eat the yolks raw charlie?

Charlie said:
narouz said:
Charlie said:

Yes, I toss the whites as they are inflammatory. The whites can also interfere with absorption of biotin but it is lessened supposedly if you they are cooked.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, I soft boil them as suggested by Ray Peat. That creates the least amount of damage to the yolk.

narouz

Charlie said:
narouz said:
Charlie said:

Is this anti-egg white tactic something Peat has passed along to you privately, Charlie?
I haven't clearly seen that in the stuff of his I've read.
You holdin' out on us? :D

Birdie

I've heard Ray say that when he cant get eggs he trusts he limits it to one egg a day. No advice to omit the white but I know that idea is important in some places. Remember the ice cream recipe uses a whole egg warmed to 40 C.

And I have heard someone ask about the idea of not destroying the integrity of the yolk. Ray didn't go for it as I recall.

Birdie

Checking in ray Peat's brain, I see that he says there that soft boiled is probably best and that scrambling them might cause a little heat damage, but that any difference in vitamin content would be negligible.

He says there also that most organic eggs are fed soy, as we know, and for that reason he limits his eggs to one large a day here, but in Mexico where he knows the farmer and what the chickens eat, he eats more eggs.

I think Cliff has a reliable source of farm eggs.

Ray Peat's Brain is a quick place to go for all sorts of good information. Dannyroddy.com. It's laid out so clearly there. A lot of questions answered.

Dean

The hens that are laying the eggs even for the free-range farmers who sell at farmer's markets are, more times than not, getting fed some soy and corn as well. I've been surprised how many eggs many people here are eating.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz, clint over at RP fans only eats a small amount of egg white. He is a pretty smart guy and dialed in really good with Ray Peat and this is how he does his eggs. So, that's what I do. I don't need anymore inflammation then I have, so I am cook with tossing the whites. All the good stuff is in the yellow anyhow. IIRC, something like 40% of the protein is in the yellow to. I think the whites have tryptophan in them but I am not sure.

Dean, my hens do not eat any soy. They only eat a little bit of non gmo corn, alfalfa and blood meal but most of their food is from free range foraging.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz, these were private conversations with clint so I do not know if any of this is posted on the fans page about the eggs.

Dean

Charlie said:
Narouz, clint over at RP fans only eats a small amount of egg white. He is a pretty smart guy and dialed in really good with Ray Peat and this is how he does his eggs. So, that's what I do. I don't need anymore inflammation then I have, so I am cook with tossing the whites. All the good stuff is in the yellow anyhow. IIRC, something like 40% of the protein is in the yellow to. I think the whites have tryptophan in them but I am not sure.

Dean, my hens do not eat any soy. They only eat a little bit of non gmo corn, alfalfa and blood meal but most of their food is from free range foraging.

Cool...I used to be around farmer's markets alot for work and even in Chicago I couldn't find farmers doing soy-free even with their laying hens. Maybe things have changed. Several years ago, I did raise some chickens on someone else's land and didn't feed them soy, but they didn't have enough land to move around. It was on a vegetable farm and she got tired of the hens eating away all her profits. :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:lol:

Dean, I got blessed with the feed because there is a big chicken farm around here that they are into being healthy and putting out the best eggs. They are a big enough farm that they have the local feed producer make their own special requested blend, so the producer makes a few extra and sells them off. The eggs are fantastic on this blend. Plus, my girls get free roam of where ever they would like to go.

Dean

Yeah. I pretty much lived on eggs that summer I raised my own hens. They agreed with me better than eggs ever had before or have since. I used alot of alfalfa in my feed, but had a hard time at the time finding info on a soy-free feed. The guys at the local mill (small town, midwest USA) were no help. I think they thought I was some subversive or maybe even a communist for wanting no soy or derivatives in my mix.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dean said:
I think they thought I was some subversive or maybe even a communist for wanting no soy or derivatives in my mix.

:rolling

Birdie

Dean said:
Yeah. I pretty much lived on eggs that summer I raised my own hens. They agreed with me better than eggs ever had before or have since. I used alot of alfalfa in my feed, but had a hard time at the time finding info on a soy-free feed. The guys at the local mill (small town, midwest USA) were no help. I think they thought I was some subversive or maybe even a communist for wanting no soy or derivatives in my mix.

Where I live there are many people raising chickens and selling eggs. Unfortunately, they all buy into the popular soy theory. But soy free feed is expensive now. I used to get my eggs at a farm that moved the coop over the grass. The coyotes kept getting the hens though, and finally the people gave up.

For the past few years, we've gotten eggs from another friend, but then, those eggs started smelling fishy. We talked about the feed but to no avail. So, we had to stop. Obviously she was giving them fish meal and thinking it made the eggs very healthy.

Now we are getting the best available at our little local market. I'm sure they use soy in the feed. So, like Ray, we've had to cut back to about one egg a day.

Hopefully, one day we'll be in an area with reliable eggs.

Great discussion here.