Starch - The Delicious Devil

Nomane Euger

I am with you guys, once that opioid part of the brain is shut off starches just look like a lot of brown food, making a bowl of fruit much more beautiful :)
Hi,a few years ago i ate only fruits for a year(mostly charentais water melon,water melon,avocados,brazil nuts,macadamia nuts and some others)i sometimes i reached a point where fructose was tasting so evil,the first time i ate back a cooked potato unseasoned it tasted way better and i appreciated it better than any fruit i ate the months prior

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi,a few years ago i ate only fruits for a year(mostly charentais water melon,water melon,avocados,brazil nuts,macadamia nuts and some others)i sometimes i reached a point where fructose was tasting so evil,the first time i ate back a cooked potato unseasoned it tasted way better and i appreciated it better than any fruit i ate the months prior
I would think that all that raw fruit would be tough on a body Nomane Euger. I really can't eat very much raw fruit either. I think that is why ray Peat suggests cooked fruit being better. It is a while different feeling.

Vileplume

I would think that all that raw fruit would be tough on a body Nomane Euger. I really can't eat very much raw fruit either. I think that is why ray Peat suggests cooked fruit being better. It is a while different feeling.
Hey @Rinse & rePeat, how much of your fruit is raw vs cooked? Can you talk a little bit more about how they affect you differently?

Nomane Euger

i

Nomane Euger

yea at this time i was getting loose stool very often and gut ache,but i was also eating a lot of nuts.now i can eat 2 3 kilos of ripe blood oranges up until my stomach cant take anymore liquid and i feel fantastic and warm

OP
Rinse & rePeat
yea at this time i was getting loose stool very often and gut ache,but i was also eating a lot of nuts.now i can eat 2 3 kilos of ripe blood oranges up until my stomach cant take anymore liquid and i feel fantastic and warm
I use to do occasional potato fasts, roasted several pounds of little red potatoes with a little olive oil and fresh rosemary and eat them all day like apples. They have so much flavor by themselves. You cannot say that about any grain, which is yo Boris and Peat's, point that they are more forgiving and nutritious.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I use to do occasional potato fasts, roasted several pounds of little red potatoes with a little olive oil and fresh rosemary and eat them all day like apples. They have so much flavor by themselves. You cannot say that about any grain, which is yo Boris and Peat's, point that they are more forgiving and nutritious.
....lots of raw fruit equals loose stools, roasted potatoes without the butter equals no stools ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey @Rinse & rePeat, how much of your fruit is raw vs cooked? Can you talk a little bit more about how they affect you differently?
Oh gosh I really don't feel all that great with raw fruit, maybe the raw fiber in it or it having that toxicity Ray Peat talks about when it is picked before ripe. I know there are hardcore frutarians that will only eat fruit that naturally falls to the ground or disconnects from the vine. I am sure because they know about those stomach aches buying fruit from the store, not to mention how old old it must be sitting there for weeks. In all my reading and eating I think frozen fruit is the ripest as and freshest. I throw whatever combo in a non metal pot, add some sugar and flouride free water and simmer it down for 40 minutes or more. It is like eating pie filling. It is so SO good and satisfying. I use store bought jellies to pair with meats. I saute some butter and add in shrimp, scallops or chunks of chicken and saute with some chopped green onion (white & green parts) then at last minute I add in lots or jelly and finish it with a fine flaked salt. The sweet and salty going on in those meals tastes like dinner and dessert all in one. I particularly like using meyers lemon or orange marmalades with seafood and the stone fruit and berry jams for things like short ribs.

Attachments

• 20210415_142107.jpg
    20210415_142107.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 43

tallglass13

Lol you don't see the argument?? When was the last time you ate raw starch? :tearsofjoy: Like raw rice? Raw potatoes?Raw pasta? I mean c'mon... It never happens. Those experiments were obviously flawed and it's baffling that Peat refers to them. Volkheimer also inserted raw starch particles up the mice rectum. And then subsequently observed issues with the mice, including persorption. I mean go figure how you could ever extrapolate these experiments to humans who eat cooked starch (who by the way have evolved to eat starch, even down to the amylase enzyme in our saliva that begin starch digestion). There is absolutely zero evidence of persorption of cooked starch eaten by humans. Zero. If you can find some evidence of it please post it, that would be interesting. As far as blood sugar spikes that cause fat storage, when eaten with fats and proteins or other sugars this mitigates that risk. Look at asia, who eat a ton of rice, they certainly don't have an obesity epidemic by any stretch of the imagination. Japan as a case in point.
I see your point, especially about the studies using raw starch. However, Dr McDougal in his speeches always talks about how they found starch granules in the fossils of ancient warriors. He has some slides in some of his talks about it. I always thought that was strange that starts granules could last that long in someone's teeth or elsewhere in the body, until I heard Ray Peat talking about volkheimer.

Apple

I see your point, especially about the studies using raw starch. However, Dr McDougal in his speeches always talks about how they found starch granules in the fossils of ancient warriors. He has some slides in some of his talks about it. I always thought that was strange that starts granules could last that long in someone's teeth or elsewhere in the body, until I heard Ray Peat talking about volkheimer.
"Volkheimer found that mice fed raw starch aged at an abnormally fast rate, and when he dissected the starch-fed mice, he found a multitude of starch-grain-blocked arterioles in every organ, each of which caused the death of the cells that depended on the blood supplied by that arteriole. It isn’t hard to see how this would affect the functions of organs such as the brain and heart, even without considering the immunological and other implications of the presence of foreign particles randomly distributed through the tissue." - RP

I don't know. You really believe that all modern medicine/science is so useless that they can't make out starch granules in arterial plaques under their microscopes if it were true? I guess if someone can confirm it and that those granules block arteries , he should get a Nobel Prize for saving humanity.

akgrrrl

Why cant ppl discern the differences between WHICH grains in these assessments? Modern genetically modified and modern ag practices are NOTHING like the grains which fortified ancestral humans, and in fact dominate the record in the rise of cultural and civilization progressions. If a study is performed on mice (or humans ) using only degraded substances, what else would you expect from the results? I cant believe we are still chewing on this as a topic when grain history is so obvious.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Why cant ppl discern the differences between WHICH grains in these assessments? Modern genetically modified and modern ag practices are NOTHING like the grains which fortified ancestral humans, and in fact dominate the record in the rise of cultural and civilization progressions. If a study is performed on mice (or humans ) using only degraded substances, what else would you expect from the results? I cant believe we are still chewing on this as a topic when grain history is so obvious.
We aren't debating grain history and how brilliantly our ancestors have figured out how to get animal food down, or how much better wheat was 100 years ago, we are agreeing or disagreeing with Ray Peat when he says grains are an inferior and less optimal food, hard on digestion, bad for metabolism and weight gain. I thought we would all be on the same page and that my dad is more PROOF of it, with his grains brain response.

SamYo123

Yeah so, it the food/drink that is warm that will raise temps not the food itself

Apple

I thought we would all be on the same page and that my dad is more PROOF of it, with his grains brain response.
Wheat is very special. Does he respond same way on white rice?
For me wheat is the only grain that allow to maintain weight. I'm very skinny. If I ditch wheat for a week or two I start loosing weight drammatically and hair too. No matter what else starch I eat (or no starch) apart from wheat.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
For me wheat is the only grain that allow to maintain weight. I'm very skinny. If I ditch wheat for a week or two I start loosing weight drammatically and hair too. No matter what else starch I eat (or no starch) apart from wheat.
Yeah as I said, in my original post, wheat is the worst for his Alzheimers, rice and oats are not nearly a bad.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah so, it the food/drink that is warm that will raise temps not the food itself
Good question SamYo123. I hear people on this forum swear that warm milk with sugar is much more warming that cold milk so maybe you are onto something there!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I use the heirloom Einkorn wheat when I cook, as does akgrrrl, and we can both attest to it's better digestibility. Sourdough made without yeast digests better too, but they all chubby me up.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am not how he would react to rice cause I don't cook with it much, just because of it's lack of nutrition.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Actually the only oats I have given my dad is a sprouted oat cereal which is not fortified, so I can't say how he would react to regular oats.

Uselis

Oh sh, thanks! I used to justify my starch consumption because of physically intense occupation. Now I'll just convince myself that my ancestory were ancient warriors and mashing potatoes is a warrior thing ?

In all seriousness there been a lot some interesting threads here in the past where people speculated that starch consumption (and all its supposed side effects) actually played a part in constant warfare.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals