Is Starch not Good for Us?

Anadi

I have just watched Danny's podcast about digestion where he says that starch is not an optimal source of carbs because it converts into pure glucose causing insulin spike, plus also may cause creation of more endotoxins. I personally avoid starch, but someone asked me recently a question how come that in blue zones or for instance in Italy where people live on pasta, the average life span is very hight. I know there are many variables to longevity, but maybe someone here can shed more light on this issue?

Last edited:

Nicole Carter

I just started adding potatoes, I was previously eating only fruit. I feel much more satiated and sleeping so much better.

GTW

Starch is not a useful or definitive category. Some glucose indices are misleading. If the starch is more slowly digested there will be less glucose pulse and less insulin response. How to slow and reduce?
As the Glucose Goddess said, clothe the carbs. Eat with or following protein and fat.

OP
A

Anadi

I have no problem with digesting starch. I grew up in Poland, the land of bread and potatoes :). still, I am looking for an optimal diet. maybe different people just respond to it differently. Incidentally, I just recently made potato juice, and that starch that settles at the bottom looks scary, it is hard like cement. I am not sure if I want to put it in my intestines.

Speaking of which I see that many members here like potatoes with butter, etc. According to Danny, fat mixed with bile and ammonia, creates serotonin. True, or not true? By the way, coconut oil does not require bile to be digested, so if the above is true, it might be preferred. I personally do not eat fat, other than the one I get from cheese and occasional meat. Well, I don't eat fat mainly to stay lean.

Jayvee

I think Georgi said recently in an interview that adding in adequate saturated fat to starchy foods prevents endotoxin release. So then it comes down to insulin and the individuals digestion. Adding insuligenic foods with starch should help and having starch in smaller meals. I just have starch way less. A spanish omlette cooked with tallow is a good way of implementing these principles, when ever i do this i have zero issues from it.

GTW

Coincidence and association are not causality. However many starches are from dietary fiber-associated foods. Fermented by the gut, these sources of short chain fatty acids, especially butyrate, are key to optimum immune system and overall health.
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals