Why do people like wheat?

Daniil

Why do people love wheat so much? Ray said that the liver "likes delicious foods", or something similar. It seems that Ray generally thinks tasty food = good food. But I do not understand one thing, why then people love wheat so much?
I don't think there is a single person who would prefer a bowl of white rice to pasta (aside from all the talk about health). If I was told to eat what I like - I would eat sugar, milk and wheat, lol. And I would definitely not eat PUFA ... So, what is there in wheat, that attracts our taste buds?

Missenger

Opioid-like proteins are addicting, like casein, that doesn't specifically mean that it's 'healthy' or not though.

OP
D

Daniil

Opioid-like proteins are addicting, like casein, that doesn't specifically mean that it's 'healthy' or not though.
I was once interested in the subject of exorphins. But later I came across one Russian study that unequivocally concluded that this does not go through the BBB.

gaze

plain pasta without any salt or sauce doesn't taste that good IMO. I think floury breads taste good because either yeast or sourdough partially break down the starch making it more desirable to the taste buds than something like white rice.

boris

I think people enjoy the feeling of the rapid bloodsugar rise vom wheat.

equipoise

Homemade pastry is one of the tastiest foods. Croissants with butter chased with a glass of warm milk? Lovely. Homemade bread with onions and coconut oil? lovely. Not to mention bureks, pita's. It's also cheap to make and a good source of calories, easy to combine with anything and everything. Our flour is non fortified so no problems with iron.

meatbag

Why do people love wheat so much? Ray said that the liver "likes delicious foods", or something similar. It seems that Ray generally thinks tasty food = good food. But I do not understand one thing, why then people love wheat so much?
I don't think there is a single person who would prefer a bowl of white rice to pasta (aside from all the talk about health). If I was told to eat what I like - I would eat sugar, milk and wheat, lol. And I would definitely not eat PUFA ... So, what is there in wheat, that attracts our taste buds?
large amounts of the starch are rapidly broken down by the enzyme amylase in the mouth's salivia, & the brain likes glucose

rei

I think people enjoy the feeling of the rapid bloodsugar rise vom wheat.
This is the answer. It's a kind of high when you feel very full, and the body is working hard to control blood sugar. The more addicted you are to this feeling, the faster you will eat your food and the less you will chew. You will pack as much as you can on the fork or spoon.

One reason for the perceived healthiness of japanese diet might be that they eat using sticks, naturally slowing down the rate at which you can eat. So maybe they don't become addicted at the same rates.

OP
D

Daniil

This is the answer. It's a kind of high when you feel very full, and the body is working hard to control blood sugar. The more addicted you are to this feeling, the faster you will eat your food and the less you will chew. You will pack as much as you can on the fork or spoon.

One reason for the perceived healthiness of japanese diet might be that they eat using sticks, naturally slowing down the rate at which you can eat. So maybe they don't become addicted at the same rates.
This is not an answer because it does not explain why people generally prefer wheat over white rice. In addition, durum wheat pasta is not glycemic. Their glycemic index is like oat

Murtaza

Ray said something like hypothyroid people prefer starches over ham and cheese

Korven

This is not an answer because it does not explain why people generally prefer wheat over white rice. In addition, durum wheat pasta is not glycemic. Their glycemic index is like oat

I agree there's something about wheat that makes it extremely addictive.

Is it the starch/glucose bolus dose = blood sugar high? I dunno, I don't get the same pleasure from white rice, or potatoes, or oatmeal, or any other starch.

Maybe it is the opioids,,, but I don't get the same effects from dairy. I hardly ever crave cheese or milk or get the same enjoyment from eating it.

Sourdough bread just by itself is delicious.

boris

Is it the starch/glucose bolus dose = blood sugar high? I dunno, I don't get the same pleasure from white rice, or potatoes, or oatmeal, or any other starch.

Try a bowl of day old white rice cold from the fridge with salt and butter. It feels amazing.

rei

durum wheat pasta is not glycemic.
Long Grain White Rice: 59; Pasta of durum wheat (Triticum durum): 71

Extremely glycemic compared to most foods.

boris

I know a lot of people like that, they think that feeling when you're completely knocked out after a heavy starchy meal is a normal healthy satiation.
Unrelated: My mother used to eat a lot legumes and raw cabbage and thought that being freezing cold after a meal is a normal thing.

rei

Indeed, when i encounter it i just laugh and say that you seem to have mastered the art of inhaling food.

When i did OMAD i learned to eat slowly, and it has served me well ever since, even after stopping OMAD.

Apple

Long Grain White Rice: 59; Pasta of durum wheat (Triticum durum): 71

Extremely glycemic compared to most foods.
That's interesting:
Pasta of durum wheat (Triticum durum): 71, Pasta of regular flour (Triticum aestivium): 38
I always suspected there is smth wrong with durum wheat (that's typically ground into semolina) despite they usually don't put any additives into it. It is harsh on stomach and makes me slugish. Though other forum members disagree.
I guess I'm switching back to regular pasta (even if fortified ), doesn't give me any problems once a week and quick to cook.
I will leave that fad pasta to fad dieters :))

It maybe all about the amount of dry weight per portion, white rice and regular pasta usually absorb more water you end up eating less despite the same size.

Last edited:

rei

That's interesting:
Pasta of durum wheat (Triticum durum): 71, Pasta of regular flour (Triticum aestivium): 38
I always suspected there is smth wrong with durum wheat (that's typically ground into semolina) despite they usually don't put any additives into it. It is harsh on stomach and makes me slugish. Though other forum members disagree.
I guess I'm switching back to regular pasta (even if fortified ), doesn't give me any problems once a week and quick to cook.
I will leave that fad pasta to fad dieters :))

It maybe all about the amount of dry weight per portion, white rice and regular pasta usually absorb more water you end up eating less despite the same size.
I think glycemic index as a science is flawed. Just look at the composition and realize that 100% glucose + protein is bound to be more metabolism disturbing than the 50/50 of sucrose. And how do you arrive at 100% difference between two wheats? Seems off.

Apple

I think glycemic index as a science is flawed. Just look at the composition and realize that 100% glucose + protein is bound to be more metabolism disturbing than the 50/50 of sucrose. And how do you arrive at 100% difference between two wheats? Seems off.
Where do you see sucrose in that study ? it is just comparing different types of wheat and rice.
That difference in glycemic index can be easily explained by the mount of absorbed water and dry weight per portion. I don't see the details in that study but in accordance with Peat refined starches (like regular pasta) are easier than the complex (semolina for example) for system.

Anyway with introducing milk and carrots my digestion improved, I don't feel the need to be strict on types of starches.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals