Bread, Why Avoid It?

PeatThemAll

More and more I hear people saying they gave up wheat, going gluten free, etc. I'm aware Ray Peat is also against wheat so I'm sure most here also avoid it.

Personally I have always ate bread. I gave it up for awhile when I did a paleo diet which turned out to be the worst choice ever for my health. For me, bread has always made me feel great, it actually makes my digestion better, I'm guessing because it keeps a certain bacteria very happy. I get wheat withdrawals after a week or so of not eating it. I have talked to a few others that have tried paleo and Peat and agree with me.

So why avoid it? Specifically white sourdough, GMO free bread without and seed oils? I believe that gluten has never been the source of GI issues, it just causes trouble when one has a leaky gut. The "anti nutrients" are mostly removed with a refined grain and actually bread can be a pretty nutrient dense food. And generally very low in PUFA. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/bak ... cts/4841/2

So what do you guys think? Seems to me that a good sourdough would compliment a Peat diet very nicely by adding in a good base for more meals, one that is high in easily digest carbs, low in PUFA and inflammatory aminos, and most importantly, one that tastes freaking awesome!

Loren Cordain's detailed post on antinutrients and interactions - especially the Zonulin part - left me verrry cautious about wheat. Type 2 Diabetes and Endotoxemia | The Paleo Diet | Dr. Loren Cordain

johnwester130

bread is actually a zero fat food, so it's not the pufa.

The wheat tends to be problematic, maybe eat sourdough bread instead and see how you react

Peater Piper

mt_dreams

The wheat tends to be problematic, maybe eat sourdough bread instead and see how you react

this is only the case for white flours. whole flour will contain pufa.

sourdough is also made from wheat. the reason traditional sourdough might not give a reaction is due to the fact it doesn't contain yeast. This wont be the case with a lot of the commercial sourdoughs, as they go ahead and put yeast in it anyway to make it fluffier..

this is only the case for white flours. whole flour will contain pufa.

sourdough is also made from wheat. the reason traditional sourdough might not give a reaction is due to the fact it doesn't contain yeast. This wont be the case with a lot of the commercial sourdoughs, as they go ahead and put yeast in it anyway to make it fluffier..

it is also quite possible that slowly fermented bread digests itself and that compounds that are otherwise toxic are digested either by enzymes from broken liposomes and broken cells, released into the flour media and activated with water, or by bacteria or fungi. I think long fermentation may be the reason sourdough is better, and if you ferment baker's yeast bread a long time (which you can do at home -- commercial fermentation is as short as possible) it will be similarly healthful.

Jayfish

Yeah. ;) Life without starch is boring. Also, when i don't eat starch i loose my appetite for sweet stuff. Makes it hard to eat enough carbs, and i hate to force the fruit, juice, coke etc. in my mouth.
This whole not eating starch thing just feels so... unnatural.. o_O

Bread is the original starch of the Caucasian. It pairs perfectly with meat or dairy, it's a perfect vessel for other foods.

Jsaute21

More and more I hear people saying they gave up wheat, going gluten free, etc. I'm aware Ray Peat is also against wheat so I'm sure most here also avoid it.

Personally I have always ate bread. I gave it up for awhile when I did a paleo diet which turned out to be the worst choice ever for my health. For me, bread has always made me feel great, it actually makes my digestion better, I'm guessing because it keeps a certain bacteria very happy. I get wheat withdrawals after a week or so of not eating it. I have talked to a few others that have tried paleo and Peat and agree with me.

So why avoid it? Specifically white sourdough, GMO free bread without and seed oils? I believe that gluten has never been the source of GI issues, it just causes trouble when one has a leaky gut. The "anti nutrients" are mostly removed with a refined grain and actually bread can be a pretty nutrient dense food. And generally very low in PUFA. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/bak ... cts/4841/2

So what do you guys think? Seems to me that a good sourdough would compliment a Peat diet very nicely by adding in a good base for more meals, one that is high in easily digest carbs, low in PUFA and inflammatory aminos, and most importantly, one that tastes freaking awesome!
This. Conflicted due to my OCD nature to stay away but I feel remarkably good on bread.

Kray

Can someone provide me with a really yummy, simple sourdough recipe?

What about a non modern hybridized wheat bread, like a sourdough whole spelt bread?

I also feel good digestions and energy on good quality bread; the same as my parents and grandparents who ate lots of it and lived long and healthy.

I think theres so much dogma nowadays against bread and cereals, coming from the paleo lands and other carbophobiac philosophies.

Kray

@lisaferraro, thanks so much for the link. Since my post I realized that a well-known local bakery makes a 4-day sourdough bread with white flour, no yeast. Thinking of giving that a try. Of course it wouldn't give the satisfaction of making it yourself (and the luscious aroma during baking), but maybe it would be less painful-- ha! Anyway, may take a stab at it next time I indulge in some liver pate, rather than the drab gf matzo crackers I usually have!

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro, thanks so much for the link. Since my post I realized that a well-known local bakery makes a 4-day sourdough bread with white flour, no yeast. Thinking of giving that a try. Of course it wouldn't give the satisfaction of making it yourself (and the luscious aroma during baking), but maybe it would be less painful-- ha! Anyway, may take a stab at it next time I indulge in some liver pate, rather than the drab gf matzo crackers I usually have!
Yum...definitely check out their bread as that sounds perfect and MUCH easier :):

Jsaute21

I eat sourdough bread which contains wheat, wheat flour, salt & yeast. That's it. I eat it a couple of times a week. Probably not ideal but i pick it up from a very high quality bakery and have a hard time believing it is going to kill me.

DaveFoster

I had a wheat pancake today with some chocolate chips with soy lecithin, and the combination has brought on the worst headache. I've only developed a couple headaches in my life, and none recently.

The effect delayed itself for about 8 hours, common in food allergies, and I've used progesterone, aspirin, and vitamin E to control the symptoms, including anxiety, migraine, nausea, constipation, hopelessness, and lethargy.