Starches Causing Extreme Hunger

Swandattur

My main diagnosed health problems are depression, mild diabetes, and multi-nodular thyroid. I have also had hay fever symptoms a lot before adjusting my diet.

I try not to eat any starch, because it appears to be the major cause of high blood sugars for me. If I keep carefully off the starch, I can eat lots of fruit and sugar, too, without raising blood sugar very much at all. For the most part staying off the starch also keeps hunger under control. Without starch my hunger seems to stay in the normal zone. From things I've read I think it must be that starch feeds too much bad bacteria, which makes too much endotoxin, which then causes trouble with cell metabolism. Maybe I have this wrong. I don't know, but I do know that starch seems to make my hunger trigger go haywire. I wish it didn't, because there are starches I love, mostly wheat foods like pizza, pastries, cakes, dumplings and the list goes on. I could probably be happy substituting other starches, but I'm afraid they cause trouble, too.

Anyway, I just wondered if other people have this issue or if anyone has any knowledge or thoughts on it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This happens to me also. I will get crazy hungry after consuming starch and just want to eat eat eat. I stay as far away from starches as possible.

The occasional white rice with sushi and ginger doesn't seem to bother me much. I am wondering if the ginger somehow cuts down on the bad effects of the rice.

max219

Could be Charlie. I feel white rice seems to be the easiest starch to digest and doesn't ever seem to bother me either.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
max219 said:
I feel white rice seems to be the easiest starch to digest and doesn't ever seem to bother me either.
I have seen several people say this about white rice.

OP
S

Swandattur

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, the starch thing is aggravating to say the least. I've noticed other people say that, too, about rice. Maybe there is something different about it. I notice if I eat something with a little starch repeatedly, not realizing it's in a food, it catches up with me after four or five times. I get more insomnia and hunger and blood sugar problems.

I notice at family gatherings, and, of course at restaurants, starches figure prominently. People are fond of their starches. Maybe I ate too much of it over the years, because I liked it so much and it caught up with me. Or maybe it never would have bothered me without the polyunsaturated fats and other dietary disasters like soy in everything, for instance.

Mittir

You are right about starch causing endotoxin problems.
But starch increases hunger by increasing blood sugar and insulin,
Pure glucose in starch has a very high
glycemic index, it raises blood sugar more than mix of glucose and fructose.
Sucrose needs lot less insulin to be metabolized.
Higher blood sugar increases insulin secretion, which results in
low blood sugar earlier than glucose+fructose do.
You feel hungry with low blood sugar. This graph explains how high glycemic foods
like cooked starch causes blood sugar to swing wildly.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbea ... emic-index

RP mentioned that all diabetics are hypothyroid as they can not burn
glucose efficiently but they can burn fructose.When you eat fructose
in sugar you are able to energize your cell and keeps everything running.
With glucose/starch your blood goes up too quick and that increases
insulin secretion. Since diabetics can not burn glucose properly,
most of the glucose is stored as fat. The blood sugar gets too low
and you feel hungry again. But with low blood sugar comes high cortisol
which raises blood sugar. Your cells are not getting sugar and body starts
releasing fatty acid and that causes release of PUFA. This will start
a cascade of stress hormones. It is presence of fructose that keeps
everything in check for you.

OP
S

Swandattur

Thanks, Mittir! I appreciate the information. It seems like if I eat a large meal with lots of starch, my blood sugar goes up and stays up for two or three hours. During that time, I might feel good, but it takes a very large amount of starch like lots of pizza or a big hamburger with the bun and lots of French fries. It has been quite a while since I did that. If I eat a moderate amount of starch I get hungry and the blood sugar goes up and then plunges. Maybe it's the plunging that triggers hunger. I guess if I ate the large amount of starch with a meal all the time, I'd be wrecking my health. I'd experiment, but I know it would be a bad idea. I'm sure it would catch up with me fast, and I would soon have to roll around instead of walk. I'll look at that glycemic food chart to head off crazy experimenting. :D

The other thing that would stop that crazy experiment would be the fact that I have not caught a bug since dropping the starch and eating lots of non starchy carbs. That has been about nine months or so. I wonder if other people eating very low starch/high carb. have experienced this. Of course, there are other Peat type things that might have helped, too.

HumanLife

But starch increases hunger by increasing blood sugar and insulin,
Pure glucose in starch has a very high
glycemic index, it raises blood sugar more than mix of glucose and fructose.
Sucrose needs lot less insulin to be metabolized.
Higher blood sugar increases insulin secretion, which results in
low blood sugar earlier than glucose+fructose do.
You feel hungry with low blood sugar. This graph explains how high glycemic foods
like cooked starch causes blood sugar to swing wildly.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbea ... emic-index

RP mentioned that all diabetics are hypothyroid as they can not burn
glucose efficiently but they can burn fructose.When you eat fructose
in sugar you are able to energize your cell and keeps everything running.
With glucose/starch your blood goes up too quick and that increases
insulin secretion. Since diabetics can not burn glucose properly,
most of the glucose is stored as fat. The blood sugar gets too low
and you feel hungry again. But with low blood sugar comes high cortisol
which raises blood sugar. Your cells are not getting sugar and body starts
releasing fatty acid and that causes release of PUFA. This will start
a cascade of stress hormones. It is presence of fructose that keeps
everything in check for you.

Wow, this explanation makes complete sense...

I just ate some white bread which made me feel an intense amount of hunger afterwards, but after taking some orange juice, the hunger disappeared completely!

:rightagain2

LeeLemonoil

I can eat sweets if all kind, fruits and even starch like bread, cake, toast also rice and so forth without any problems. On the contrary, I feel good eating that stuff.
But not noodles like Spaghetti. 5-10 minutes after eating I get a massive aching hunger that even is felt physically in the stomach-area and typical low blood-sugar dizziness.

It doesn’t matter if they are normal wheat-noodle or full grain or made with egg.
Strange, but constant effect

kiran

I can eat sweets if all kind, fruits and even starch like bread, cake, toast ...

But not noodles like Spaghetti. 5-10 minutes after eating I get a massive aching hunger that even is felt physically in the stomach-area and typical low blood-sugar dizziness.
Sounds like you tolerate raised wheat, it usually has a yeast and comes with CO2 in the bubbles.

LeeLemonoil

Sounds like you tolerate raised wheat, it usually has a yeast and comes with CO2 in the bubbles.

Could you claify to me a bit what that would mean according to you? Protective C02-ingestion via wheat consumption? And how do you think figues "yeast" into it.

Thanks!

kiran

Could you claify to me a bit what that would mean according to you? Protective C02-ingestion via wheat consumption? And how do you think figues "yeast" into it.

Thanks!

Lots of fermented products (as well as yeast supplements) are considered healthy although people tend to forget that simple things like bread and cake are fermented with yeast. Its hard to separate the effect of CO2 from the effect of the yeast itself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals