Sweating/High Temps After High Starch/Hight Fat Meals

PeterLake

Anytime I eat high starch/high fat meals (eg. pizza, Italian food, etc) I begin sweating profusely almost immediately afterwards. This is accompanied by high temps (99.5 oral) and heart palpitations.

Obviously, the solution to this problem is not to eat high starch/high fat meals -- and I rarely do. I'm more so wondering about the mechanism of action here. Am I experiencing a rapid spike (then fall) in blood sugar as a result of all the glucose? Is there some kind of adrenal response as a result of intestinal inflammation? I tend not to digest starch easily, especially gluten. Is it strictly a total calories issue? All of the above maybe?

Again, I'm not necessarily looking for a solution, as the main solution is clear (although, if anyone has any quick fix solutions I'd be happy to hear them because I can't confidently say I'll never eat another slice of pizza again). Just trying to better understand exactly what's going on.

I

i_nomad

Anytime I eat high starch/high fat meals (eg. pizza, Italian food, etc) I begin sweating profusely almost immediately afterwards. This is accompanied by high temps (99.5 oral) and heart palpitations.

Obviously, the solution to this problem is not to eat high starch/high fat meals -- and I rarely do. I'm more so wondering about the mechanism of action here. Am I experiencing a rapid spike (then fall) in blood sugar as a result of all the glucose? Is there some kind of adrenal response as a result of intestinal inflammation? I tend not to digest starch easily, especially gluten. Is it strictly a total calories issue? All of the above maybe?

Again, I'm not necessarily looking for a solution, as the main solution is clear (although, if anyone has any quick fix solutions I'd be happy to hear them because I can't confidently say I'll never eat another slice of pizza again). Just trying to better understand exactly what's going on.
The same happens to me. Also curious to know what’s happening with this.

Rafe

This was happening to me for months. The annoying part was the hot flash I got when I hit 99.5f & then it started to come back down.

I also thought it was inflammation, gut or liver.

I tried taking small amounts of magnesium & that helped, then solved it, though it comes back if I stop the mag.

I’m not sure of the mechanism, but it doesn’t feel like steady, high metabolism.

It could be some temp uncoupling.

Rafe

I think it’s the need for some critical nutrient. Might be mag, or something else for someone else.

The healthier I get the more those little things make a big difference

OP
P

PeterLake

This was happening to me for months. The annoying part was the hot flash I got when I hit 99.5f & then it started to come back down.

I also thought it was inflammation, gut or liver.

I tried taking small amounts of magnesium & that helped, then solved it, though it comes back if I stop the mag.

I’m not sure of the mechanism, but it doesn’t feel like steady, high metabolism.

It could be some temp uncoupling.
Yes, in my experience it's super different from a strong, steady metabolism. Which is weird, because it has the high pulse, high temp mark of good metabolic function, but for me is accompanied by anxiety, irritability, and brain fog. Magnesium helping is interesting. Maybe you're right about some key nutrient being missing. As in, by overfueling the body you start burning through nutrients in an attempt to process everything. Next time I eat this way I may experiment with B vitamins just to see what happens.

Korven

@PeterLake does this happen with all starches e.g. rice and potato?

Eating foods with gluten reliably gives me chest pain and palpitations, however I have no such issues with other non-gluten starches.

Interestingly there is no digestive upset or anything when I eat gluten, just the heart issues.

OP
P

PeterLake

@PeterLake does this happen with all starches e.g. rice and potato?

Eating foods with gluten reliably gives me chest pain and palpitations, however I have no such issues with other non-gluten starches.

Interestingly there is no digestive upset or anything when I eat gluten, just the heart issues.
It might be gluten specific. Potatoes and rice don't bother me. That said, I wonder if the high starch/high fat combo plays some part in it. I can get away with some bread and butter or bread and jam without much issue. And potatoes or rice tend not to lend themselves to being calorie/fat bombs the way lasagna or pizza are. Point being, either the total calories or the starch/fat combo seem to drive the issue more than gluten alone.

Jennifer

I used to experience this regularly, prior to supplementing thyroid. I was unable to digest/metabolize starch due to an enzyme deficiency, I suspect stemming from poor thyroid and adrenal function (glucocorticoid production), and my blood sugar would spike and then crash, resulting in hypoglycemic episodes and adrenaline attacks. It always accompanied a high temp 100°+, profuse sweating, heart palpitations, an urgency to urinate and waking during the night needing to pee.

Rafe

Yes, in my experience it's super different from a strong, steady metabolism. Which is weird, because it has the high pulse, high temp mark of good metabolic function, but for me is accompanied by anxiety, irritability, and brain fog. Magnesium helping is interesting. Maybe you're right about some key nutrient being missing. As in, by overfueling the body you start burning through nutrients in an attempt to process everything. Next time I eat this way I may experiment with B vitamins just to see what happens.
Mine came reliably after a shake for mid-morning breakfast, that I drank pretty fast. Raw milk, fruit, sugar.

I settled on it being too many easily digestible calories, too fast, temporarily overwhelming my biliary system. Probably.

When I drink a high-carb shake I take it slower now & that also helps.

OP
P

PeterLake

I used to experience this regularly, prior to supplementing thyroid. I was unable to digest/metabolize starch due to an enzyme deficiency, I suspect stemming from poor thyroid and adrenal function (glucocorticoid production), and my blood sugar would spike and then crash, resulting in hypoglycemic episodes and adrenaline attacks. It always accompanied a high temp 100°+, profuse sweating, heart palpitations, an urgency to urinate and waking during the night needing to pee.
Interesting. And you think thyroid supplementation solved the enzyme issue?

OP
P

PeterLake

Mine came reliably after a shake for mid-morning breakfast, that I drank pretty fast. Raw milk, fruit, sugar.

I settled on it being too many easily digestible calories, too fast, temporarily overwhelming my biliary system. Probably.

When I drink a high-carb shake I take it slower now & that also helps.
Yeah, a boring solution that seems to help to some degree it making sure to chew everything thoroughly. Kind of in line with your point. Thorough chewing slows down the pace of eating by a lot and also makes sure everything is digesting properly from the start.

Jennifer

Interesting. And you think thyroid supplementation solved the enzyme issue?

I haven’t been retested, but I’m assuming so because I no longer experience hypoglycemia and adrenaline attacks on the rare occasion I have starch.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals