Why do people like wheat?

ursidae

Honestly, I think it’s the intolerance that makes it delicious. Pretty much every (whole) food that I really enjoy inflames me a lot. I’ve heard an immunologist say that the food you crave the most is the one you’re most intolerant to.

I’m born pretty well adapted to it (won’t consume because I can’t find high quality enough) and quitting/avoiding it is the easiest thing in the world

OP
D

Daniil

Lol, I tried to eat "healthy food" and cooked rice, but the pan has been in the refrigerator for a week and I don't touch it, instead I buy white bread in the store and eat it. Probably, the rice should already be thrown out...

OP
D

Daniil

Long Grain White Rice: 59; Pasta of durum wheat (Triticum durum): 71

Extremely glycemic compared to most foods.

OP
D

Daniil

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211209-171350.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-171350.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 19

michael94

Every grain is unique and cultivated for different properties. Boiling it down to glycemic index is silly

Wheat and it's relatives like Spelt can be delicious. Wheat is high in selenium and betaine, in addition to what others have mentioned

tankasnowgod

Why do people love wheat so much? Ray said that the liver "likes delicious foods", or something similar. It seems that Ray generally thinks tasty food = good food. But I do not understand one thing, why then people love wheat so much?
I don't think there is a single person who would prefer a bowl of white rice to pasta (aside from all the talk about health). If I was told to eat what I like - I would eat sugar, milk and wheat, lol. And I would definitely not eat PUFA ... So, what is there in wheat, that attracts our taste buds?

I don't think they do. Who eats plain pasta and bread with nothing on it?

People like hamburgers, pizza, bread & butter, Mac & Cheese, Fettuccini Alfredo, Sandwiches, batter fried chicken, buttery crackers, cookies, cakes, pies, donuts, and so on.

OP
D

Daniil

I don't think they do. Who eats plain pasta and bread with nothing on it?

People like hamburgers, pizza, bread & butter, Mac & Cheese, Fettuccini Alfredo, Sandwiches, batter fried chicken, buttery crackers, cookies, cakes, pies, donuts, and so on.
I don't know, I just like eating meat with bread.

I don't like seafood and offal with selenium.

InChristAlone

I've known people to just grab a slice of bread and eat it, mostly people with asperger's. I ate dry noodles in high school. No idea why. I would munch on them in my bedroom sometimes with a friend over. Pasta to me is way more enjoyable than rice. Actually I pretty much despise rice right now.

OP
D

Daniil

Sooooo..... basically a sandwich? Or like a roll with a steak? Still doesn't sound like you are just eating plain bread on it's own.
In one hand is a fork with meat, in the other a piece of bread. Although sometimes I take Armenian lavash and make myself a shawarma.

OP
D

Daniil

I've known people to just grab a slice of bread and eat it, mostly people with asperger's. I ate dry noodles in high school. No idea why. I would munch on them in my bedroom sometimes with a friend over. Pasta to me is way more enjoyable than rice. Actually I pretty much despise rice right now.
Yes, we also ate dry noodles) By the whole school.

OP
D

Daniil

I liked the idea of salt delivery the most here, but for me pasta tastes better than rice, oatmeal, etc. Not sure about potato.

Why do people love wheat so much? Ray said that the liver "likes delicious foods", or something similar. It seems that Ray generally thinks tasty food = good food. But I do not understand one thing, why then people love wheat so much?
I don't think there is a single person who would prefer a bowl of white rice to pasta (aside from all the talk about health). If I was told to eat what I like - I would eat sugar, milk and wheat, lol. And I would definitely not eat PUFA ... So, what is there in wheat, that attracts our taste buds?
You would not like wheat/pasta without the butter or sauce. Grains stimulate the opioid receptors in the brain making one want more…

“there has been interest in observations that peptides derived from wheat gluten proteins exhibit opioid-like activity in in vitro tests. To determine the origin of the peptides exhibiting opioid activity, wheat proteins were fractionated by size (gel filtration), by charge differences (ion exchange chromatography) and by differences in hydrophobicity (reversed-phase HPLC). These fractions were hydrolyzed by pepsin or pepsin and trypsin and the resulting peptides separated by gel filtration chromatography. The separated peptides were tested for opioid-like activity by competitive binding to opioid receptor sites in rat brain tissue in the presence of tritium-labeled dihydromorphine. The peptides showed considerable differences in activity; while some peptides exhibited no activity, 0.5 mg of the most active peptides were equivalent to 1 nM of morphine in the binding assay. The most active peptides were derived from the gliadin fraction of the gluten complex.”

D

Deleted member 5487

plain pasta without any salt or sauce doesn't taste that good IMO. I think floury breads taste good because either yeast or sourdough partially break down the starch making it more desirable to the taste buds than something like white rice.
Same can be said for all starch's. They need fat and salt to taste good.