Ritanserin - Serotonin Antagonist For R&D Use Only

johnwester130

I'm not sure about this product.

One user on longecity said it caused him anxiety.

And it is far more economical to give my rats LSD or cheaper derivatives.

aarfai

What route of administration are you guys using or this research item? I dosed my lab animal orally and it seemed to have a much greater effect than merely topically... Would love to get your opinions on this.

Greg says

@haidut
I'm not sure about this product.

One user on longecity said it caused him anxiety.

"Ritanserin might be good for some people, but, for me it increased anxiety. It has a long half life and instigated some panic attacks in me and mental disorganization. This is probably due to the fact that I already have anxiety, underlying schizo type symptoms , and, happen to be pretty sensitive to dopaminergics. Ritanserin has a dopaminergic component to it- acts as a DARI. For some this could work for dysthymia, perhaps. I wouldn't recommend it based on my experience."

Interesting... I wonder what is at play here. Of course we don't know his dose or diet. I do get anxiety/panic from macuna puriens which increases dopamine. Maybe @haidut knows. But like most pharma drugs and supplements they are all person specific. Throughout my life 90% of supps I've used haven't really given me an effect I can truly say was positive.

I am looking forward to trying Ritanserin.

Pet Peeve

My rat (sigh...) was also getting anxiety and negative symptoms so cut down dose to one drop per day and it's amazing, very realiable strong dopamine effect, great to have some cypro around if the rat gets to much.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My rat (sigh...) was also getting anxiety and negative symptoms so cut down dose to one drop per day and it's amazing, very realiable strong dopamine effect, great to have some cypro around if the rat gets to much.
What time of day is rat being administered one drop?

Peata

Does your rat seem better able to focus, keep attention for spans of time? Or what dopamine effects are you observing?

Pet Peeve

Does your rat seem better able to focus, keep attention for spans of time? Or what dopamine effects are you observing?

Increased interest in and enjoyment of things, increased sociability. It's kind of how I was thinking and hoping bromocriptine would work. I do believe though that my rat has a lower expression of MAO-A than normal and it seems that the effect is cumulative and can make it a bit high strung, so the rat gets some cypro and progesterone if it gets too much.

Mufasa

My rat takes quite a high dosage topically (6mg 2x times a day), and feels great. A bit increase in naps taking the first two days. Third day, no naps yet. Overall, I feel very bright and smart, but a bit more lazy than normally. I don't care, because it only allows me to better relax, when I need to relax. Overall productivity in the end of the day is similar (around 3-4 hours of effective study a day in a period of 9 hours).

Definitely increase in sleep quality and morning temperature (orally). Third day morning temperature is 36.6 (was around 35.8-36.2). After lunch temp is 37.6 (was around 37.1-37.3).

First day, after 5 hours taking it, I had a conversation with friends of my parents, telling a bit about my life (my study, the job I get next years etc). I have a bit autistic symptoms (I live with my parents). I'm not good in doing monologue, and speaking a long time about myself. I think I find it hard to focus for so long, and making sentence after sentence.

I was very surprised that I was able to take the time and peace, to just get this thing out, without any problems. After that my mother said she noticed it as well (she didn't know I was on ritanserin). She said that normally she would make sure to be around, when I have such a conversation, to help me formulate the things I want to tell. But she heard me talk to those friends in the garden, and she was very surprised that I could speak with such clarity and confidence, and she didn't felt the need to be around.

I found this a very interesting immediate improvement.

AlexH

Did 6mg x 2 times aday (for 3 days) topically and didnt notice much. This morning I did 6mg orally before breakfast and after about one hour I took a nap that lasten 3 hours. Feels alot like cypro.

Pet Peeve

What time of day is rat being administered one drop?

Morning or afternoon, but it seems better to administer after a meal (proteins and fat), without any food in the rat it's a little like too much caffeine. Anyhow, all rats are different.

upload_2016-7-11_17-19-4.png

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Eventually we are going to be like that drug forum where everyone starts off their posts with SWIM (Someone who isn't me)

Yeah I looked up the synthesis of this compound on Wiki and noticed that, which was why I asked about the toxicity. Perhaps they do not get liberated? I am not quite sure how Fluroine works in the body

I know, the fluorine bothered me as well but I could not find any reports of liver or thyroid toxicity. It is the chlorine atoms in second-generation antihistamines that make them liver-toxic. For the record, even cypro has recorded liver toxicity but not ritanserin. Quite the opposite actually, ritanserin seems to protect the liver, even in cases as serious as cirrhosis.
The protective action of ketanserin against lipopolysaccharide-induced shock in mice is mediated by inhibiting inducible NO synthase expression via... - PubMed - NCBI
5-HT2A receptor antagonists inhibit hepatic stellate cell activation and facilitate apoptosis. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of 5-HT(2) receptor blockade on cadmium-induced acute toxicity. - PubMed - NCBI
Combined treatment of portal hypertension with ritanserin and propranolol in conscious and unrestrained cirrhotic rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Ritanserin decreases portal pressure in conscious and unrestrained cirrhotic rats. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks Haidut. Any chance it keeps you awake at night? Do you suggest to take it in the morning?

Have not found that it keeps me awake. In moderate doses ( 2mg - 4mg) it makes me relaxed but not sleepy. In higher doses it sedates me.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Did 6mg x 2 times aday (for 3 days) topically and didnt notice much. This morning I did 6mg orally before breakfast and after about one hour I took a nap that lasten 3 hours. Feels alot like cypro.

That's pretty much my expectation as well, but without the dry mouth and urine retention cypro can cause or the potential elevation of liver enzymes.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does this have a similar to cypro benefit for diabetes (the calcium thing)?

Yes, and there are even human studies on PubMed with ritanserin and cypro for diabetes, insulin resistance and glucose control.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What should my lab rats expect from taking this ?

What effects will this have on their well being and why would they need it ? What can it be compared to ?

It should be like cypro, with strong effects on libido and mood but without the anti-cholinergic effects like dry mouth of urine retention. Also, ritanserin may antagonize the 5-HT3 receptor better than cypro so at higher doses rats may experience constipation.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How does this compare to LSD ? and how long does it last ?

Nope, the trippy effects of LSD are likely from agonizing (not antagonizing) some serotonin "receptors". Cyproheptadine, juts like ritanserin, can actually be used to stop an LSD trip.
Half-life varies, but in humans has been shown to be in the range of 6-8 hours.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

"Ritanserin might be good for some people, but, for me it increased anxiety. It has a long half life and instigated some panic attacks in me and mental disorganization. This is probably due to the fact that I already have anxiety, underlying schizo type symptoms , and, happen to be pretty sensitive to dopaminergics. Ritanserin has a dopaminergic component to it- acts as a DARI. For some this could work for dysthymia, perhaps. I wouldn't recommend it based on my experience."

Interesting... I wonder what is at play here. Of course we don't know his dose or diet. I do get anxiety/panic from macuna puriens which increases dopamine. Maybe @haidut knows. But like most pharma drugs and supplements they are all person specific. Throughout my life 90% of supps I've used haven't really given me an effect I can truly say was positive.

I am looking forward to trying Ritanserin.

Well, like I said in the original post it does have dopaminergic effects. Some people have gotten the same symptoms from bromocriptine and lisuride, so maybe for some people too much dopamine is not good depending on what their condition is. But most experiments seem to be producing good results, especially in lower doses of 2mg - 4mg daily.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals