Ginger/6-shogoal Strong Anti-serotonin Effect, Pro-dopamine And Test Booster

Kingpinguin

Hi!

like many already know ginger is a potent natural serotonin antagonist. I just make this post to summarize studies I found on the subjects to support this. If you have anything to add please do so.
Diarrea, hypothermia and migraines are symptoms of serotonin and ginger been shown to block this as effectivly as pharma drugs.

Effects of ginger constituents on the gastrointestinal tract: role of cholinergic M3 and serotonergic 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors. - PubMed - NCBI

Ginger and its pungent constituents non-competitively inhibit serotonin currents on visceral afferent neurons. - PubMed - NCBI

”The order of inhibitory potency for these compounds were [6]-shogaol>[6]-gingerol>zingerone. Unlike well-known competitive 5-HT3 receptor antagonist ondansetron, all tested ginger constituents acted as non-competitive antagonist. Our results imply that ginger and its pungent constituents exert antiemetic effects by blocking 5-HT-induced emetic signal transmission in vagal afferent neurons.”

Identification of serotonin 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists in ginger. - PubMed - NCBI

This study supports ginger as an 5ht1a agonist. 5ht1a is serotonins autoreceptor (signal to stop releasing serotonin) and stimulation of this receptor inhibits serotonin release and promotes dopamine release.

”In this study, bioactivity-guided fractionation of a ginger extract identified nine compounds that interact with the human serotonin 5-HT(1A) receptor with significant to moderate binding affinities (K(i)=3-20 microM).”

[The effect of ginger on serotonin induced hypothermia and diarrhea]. - PubMed - NCBI

”In the present study, acetone extract of ginger at 75 mg/kg p.o., significantly inhibited 5-HT induced diarrhea.”

Comparison between the efficacy of ginger and sumatriptan in the ablative treatment of the common migraine. - PubMed - NCBI

”The effectiveness of ginger powder in the treatment of common migraine attacks is statistically comparable to sumatriptan. Ginger also poses a better side effect profile than sumatriptan.”

Acute and short-term actions of serotonin administration on the pituitary-testicular axis in the adult rat. - PubMed - NCBI

Ginger and Testosterone

”The mechanisms through which ginger enhances testosterone production are mainly by increasing LH production, increasing the level of cholesterol in testes, reducing oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in the testes, enhancing the activity of certain antioxidant enzymes, normalizing blood glucose, enhancing nitric oxide production and increasing blood flow in Leydig cells, increasing testicular weight, and recycling testosterone receptors.”

6-Shogaol, an active compound of ginger, protects dopaminergic neurons in Parkinson's disease models via anti-neuroinflammation. - PubMed - NCBI

”6-Shogaol exerts neuroprotective effects on DA neurons in in vitro and in vivo PD models.”

Dobbler

"enhancing nitric oxide production" , lowers serotonin , boosts T, lowers inflammation. Why does it boost NO ?

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

"enhancing nitric oxide production" , lowers serotonin , boosts T, lowers inflammation. Why does it boost NO ?

theres different NO. eNos, iNos, nNos. iNos is the bad one. Its the nitric oxide released by the immune system. Nitric oxide is also a neurotransmitter in the brain and other tissue. In the study it was not a total body NO increase. The increase was in testicles. It could be as a neurotransmitter way stimulating cAMP and cGMP which is responsible for cell signaling and hormone signaling. Nitric oxide like many other thing is a matter of context. Not just good or bad. Like serotonin = Bad. Yeah it mainly does sure but not 100% always. Nitric oxide even more so. Excess nitric oxide synthesis is bad but its still a necessary neurotransmitter

Nitric oxide/cGMP pathway components in the Leydig cells of the human testis. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

Forgive my ignorance, but what does an COX-2 inhibitor do?

a COX-2 inhibitor is what aspirin is. Its something that inhibits the COX enzyme to convert arachidonic acid into prostaglandins causing inflammation. Aspirin is a irreversible COX-2 inhibitor (kills the enzyme). Most of aspirins effect is by doing this so Ginger also has similair effects like aspirin. Also side effects like bloodthinning/anticoagulation.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

How should we consume ginger to get its beneficial effects?

the most potent of its active constituents is 6-shogoal. Its also the most common in ginger so I think anyway is beneficial. According to wikipedia 6-shogoal is increased by drying (powder supplement) or cooking with it. 6-shogoal and I suspect the other active compounds are fat soulable. So what I usually do is when I do my carrot salad I grate down a chunk of ginger to it and mix in some melted coconut oil. Think this would be good anti-endotoxin effect since it blocks gut serotonin. And the coconut oil will also help carry it through the blood brain barrier so it can have a more potent brain serotonin reducing effect. Raw ginger works so good for my migraines I get so even just chewing it down raw I believe is beneficial. But any type of ginger I think is good. If you have a mixer you can mix it down to your orange juice aswell.

Inaut

I use a lot of powered ginger. Mainly 1/2- 1 tsp x3 a day typically with gentian root. Put it under my tongue (so i don’t inhale it) and wash it down with some water.

Mauritio

Great info thanks !will drink some ginger tee today .

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

I use a lot of powered ginger. Mainly 1/2- 1 tsp x3 a day typically with gentian root. Put it under my tongue (so i don’t inhale it) and wash it down with some water.

nice man you feel you get any good effects from it? Main thing I’ve noticed is mood boost and less agitation.

Inaut

Yea I feel good overall these days so it’s hard to solely attribute something to ginger. I just find it’s a perfect compliment to gentian. I also take some before fornicating :)

Mauritio

nice man you feel you get any good effects from it? Main thing I’ve noticed is mood boost and less agitation.
I notice exactly the same after I drank the ginger tee. Also other lower serotonin symptoms . Can't believe I've never noticed it . But I only drink it when I'm really sick ,so not my normal state of mind.

In the present study, acetone extract of ginger at 75 mg/kg p.o., significantly inhibited 5-HT induced diarrhea.”

How many grams of ginger are used to make 75 mg of extract? HED looks quite high for extract

Mauritio

I think one downside might be increased estrogen levels ,besides that ginger looks actually pretty good (anti-NO, anti-serotonin, anti-inflammatory, pro testosterone)
I do get the anti serotonin benefits from it .
But I also noticed some increased estrogen symotom like puffy nipples or less strong erections ,which I couldn't pinpoint to anything ,but it might the ginger :

Screening of estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities from medicinal plants. - PubMed - NCBI
The medicinal plant extracts commercially used in Asia were screened for their estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities in a recombinant yeast system featuring both a human estrogen receptor (ER) expression plasmid and a reporter plasmid. Pueraria lobata (flower) had the highest estrogenic relative potency (RP, 7.75×10(-3); RP of 17β-estradiol=1), followed by Amomum xanthioides (1.25×10(-3)). Next potent were a group consisting of Glycyrrhiza uralensis, Zingiber officinale (Ginger), Rheum undulatum, Curcuma aromatica, Eriobotrya japonica, Sophora flavescens, Anemarrhena asphodeloides, Polygonum multiflorum, and Pueraria lobata (root) (ranging from 9.5×10(-4) to 1.0×10(-4)). Least potent were Prunus persica, Lycoppus lucidus, and Adenophora stricta (ranging from 9.0×10(-5) to 8.0×10(-5)).

vulture

Hi!

like many already know ginger is a potent natural serotonin antagonist. I just make this post to summarize studies I found on the subjects to support this. If you have anything to add please do so.
Diarrea, hypothermia and migraines are symptoms of serotonin and ginger been shown to block this as effectivly as pharma drugs.

Effects of ginger constituents on the gastrointestinal tract: role of cholinergic M3 and serotonergic 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors. - PubMed - NCBI

Ginger and its pungent constituents non-competitively inhibit serotonin currents on visceral afferent neurons. - PubMed - NCBI

”The order of inhibitory potency for these compounds were [6]-shogaol>[6]-gingerol>zingerone. Unlike well-known competitive 5-HT3 receptor antagonist ondansetron, all tested ginger constituents acted as non-competitive antagonist. Our results imply that ginger and its pungent constituents exert antiemetic effects by blocking 5-HT-induced emetic signal transmission in vagal afferent neurons.”

Identification of serotonin 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists in ginger. - PubMed - NCBI

This study supports ginger as an 5ht1a agonist. 5ht1a is serotonins autoreceptor (signal to stop releasing serotonin) and stimulation of this receptor inhibits serotonin release and promotes dopamine release.

”In this study, bioactivity-guided fractionation of a ginger extract identified nine compounds that interact with the human serotonin 5-HT(1A) receptor with significant to moderate binding affinities (K(i)=3-20 microM).”

[The effect of ginger on serotonin induced hypothermia and diarrhea]. - PubMed - NCBI

”In the present study, acetone extract of ginger at 75 mg/kg p.o., significantly inhibited 5-HT induced diarrhea.”

Comparison between the efficacy of ginger and sumatriptan in the ablative treatment of the common migraine. - PubMed - NCBI

”The effectiveness of ginger powder in the treatment of common migraine attacks is statistically comparable to sumatriptan. Ginger also poses a better side effect profile than sumatriptan.”

Acute and short-term actions of serotonin administration on the pituitary-testicular axis in the adult rat. - PubMed - NCBI

Ginger and Testosterone

”The mechanisms through which ginger enhances testosterone production are mainly by increasing LH production, increasing the level of cholesterol in testes, reducing oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in the testes, enhancing the activity of certain antioxidant enzymes, normalizing blood glucose, enhancing nitric oxide production and increasing blood flow in Leydig cells, increasing testicular weight, and recycling testosterone receptors.”

6-Shogaol, an active compound of ginger, protects dopaminergic neurons in Parkinson's disease models via anti-neuroinflammation. - PubMed - NCBI

”6-Shogaol exerts neuroprotective effects on DA neurons in in vitro and in vivo PD models.”

Adding some more:
Zinc + Ginger seems to significantly increase body weight and T on this study
https://www.researchgate.net/public...giber_officinale_varrubrum_Combined_with_Zinc

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 10.48.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 10.48.56 AM.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

I think one downside might be increased estrogen levels ,besides that ginger looks actually pretty good (anti-NO, anti-serotonin, anti-inflammatory, pro testosterone)
I do get the anti serotonin benefits from it .
But I also noticed some increased estrogen symotom like puffy nipples or less strong erections ,which I couldn't pinpoint to anything ,but it might the ginger :

Screening of estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities from medicinal plants. - PubMed - NCBI
The medicinal plant extracts commercially used in Asia were screened for their estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities in a recombinant yeast system featuring both a human estrogen receptor (ER) expression plasmid and a reporter plasmid. Pueraria lobata (flower) had the highest estrogenic relative potency (RP, 7.75×10(-3); RP of 17β-estradiol=1), followed by Amomum xanthioides (1.25×10(-3)). Next potent were a group consisting of Glycyrrhiza uralensis, Zingiber officinale (Ginger), Rheum undulatum, Curcuma aromatica, Eriobotrya japonica, Sophora flavescens, Anemarrhena asphodeloides, Polygonum multiflorum, and Pueraria lobata (root) (ranging from 9.5×10(-4) to 1.0×10(-4)). Least potent were Prunus persica, Lycoppus lucidus, and Adenophora stricta (ranging from 9.0×10(-5) to 8.0×10(-5)).

Doubt that ginger would increase LH and T in studies if it was a potent estrogen receptor agonist. Since estrogen directly lowers LH. It could be that the compounds are competitive agonists with estrogen on the receptor. Higher affinity for estrogen but binds less so the net effect is actually lower estrogen. Otherwise I can’t explain the increaed LH shown again and again with ginger.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals