Tea Of Ginger Root Caused Massive Anxiety Episode

GmC

Hello everyone.

Just want to give my testimonial about a very very strange thing that happened this morning when I was drinking a ginger root tea.

I chop up raw ginger root into thin slices, add some honey, put the hot water in my cup, squeeze the ginger root with the tea spoon to extract some more ginger extract, and drank the tea while I was eating my oat meal.

10 minutes after, I experienced severe amounts of anxiety, and bursts of adrenaline with a strong letargy associated, almost like weakness.
I was unable to think clearly, or finish whatever I was doing.
I become very irritated, and aggressive.
I took 4g of Glycine and eventually the anxiety and all that turmoil subsided, but it took 3 painful hours.

Now, 4 years ago I was diagnosed with GAD.My fisrt SSRI was Paroxetine, but wasn't able to stop my anxiety attacks, and changed to SNRI ( Effexor XR ), for about one year and a half.It worked as it should.No more anxiety, but had side a few side effects.
In January 2017 i left the SNRI.
Nowadays from time to time I have some episodes of anxiety, specially in the morning, but nothing with the magnitude I had a few years ago.
Today's episode make me wonder about my seratonin levels.

Ginger and its pungent constituents non-competitively inhibit serotonin currents on visceral afferent neurons. - PubMed - NCBI

Wasn't supposed ginger root to antagonize serotonin ?
What might caused this anxiety episode ?

Anyone with some idea, of what might caused this ?

Thank you all.

Tenacity

If you had any sort of nervousness about drinking the tea, that in itself can trigger a panic attack in individuals with very sensitive nervous systems.

LuMonty

From my readings and experience, ginger increases serotonin in the digestive. I tried it and had similar effects, in my case ending in a bathroom trip that left me recovering my electrolytes all day. Caused everything to move very quickly, stimulation in the gut and bowels to the point of pain. Didn't get my concentration back until I got my fluid and electrolyte levels back up. Felt cranky until then, but lethargic for a few days after that (physical work didn't help). Heart rate was elevated but I'm not sure that approaches your anxiety. All together, seems similar just on a lower magnitude.

Just my :2cents:

OP
G

GmC

If you had any sort of nervousness about drinking the tea, that in itself can trigger a panic attack in individuals with very sensitive nervous systems.

Thank you for your answer.

That's very weird, because the night before, I had the same tea without any strange symptoms.
This morning I only put some more raw ginger root in my cup.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I used some powdered ginger to help with digestion and it seemed to cause heartburn for me after a week or so of once a day use. Heartburn has caused me a little anxiety in the past.

Beefcake

Ginger affects some 5-ht receptors and antagonize others. Think agonize 5-ht1 and antagnoize 5-ht3. I don’t know though if ginger is to blame for the anxiety attack or if it was just unlucky timing. I used to have random panic attacks but still you tried to tie it to something thats natural. I drink ginger beer and eat ginger all the time and I only get positive effects on my well being.

postman

ginger is very serotonergic, it's basically like taking an SSRI, turmeric is the same

ebs

ginger is very serotonergic, it's basically like taking an SSRI, turmeric is the same

I experienced the exact opposite from the ginger tea I was drinking. It increases mental clarity and well being similar to niacinamide in my own experience. If you'll search around the forum I think you'll find that ginger is anti-serotonin and it's also androgenic and anti-inflammatory.

postman

I experienced the exact opposite from the ginger tea I was drinking. It increases mental clarity and well being similar to niacinamide in my own experience. If you'll search around the forum I think you'll find that ginger is anti-serotonin and it's also androgenic and anti-inflammatory.
Huh maybe I'm confusing it with something else. Anyways every time I've had ginger I feel way off.

Beefcake

Huh maybe I'm confusing it with something else. Anyways every time I've had ginger I feel way off.

If you research it says it mainly antagonizes serotonin. You’re right though that turmeric is agonistic of serotonin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals