Curcumin (curry) Is Serotonergic

chispas

Also interestingly enough in Hong Kong a popular drink is made by boiling coke, lemon, and ginger together. It is a known remedy against cold and flu. Sounds delicious and very peaty. Considering the involvement of endotoxin and nitric oxide in cold and flu I am guessing this combo is very good at improving these biomarkers. I will try it with added aspirin maybe.

I will try this, sounds gross though. I have also found coke to be a great resource when cold or fever occurs.

javin

What about the fact that it's also a potent anti-inflammatory herb? Does the good outweigh the negative?

Elephanto

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Dopamine

Elephanto

according to this study, "TRPV1 agonists induce long-term receptor down-regulation by modulating the expression level of the channel through a mechanism that promotes receptor endocytosis and degradation"

Agonist- and Ca2+-dependent desensitization of TRPV1 channel targets the receptor to lysosomes for degradation. - PubMed - NCBI

I know 2 indians that look extremely young for their age (40+) and they both eat a lot of spicy stuff, cayenne peppers etc. I think this might be why, usually agonists of an hormone seem to lead to receptor desentisization while inhibitors lead to sentisization, could that be right ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
according to this study, "TRPV1 agonists induce long-term receptor down-regulation by modulating the expression level of the channel through a mechanism that promotes receptor endocytosis and degradation"

Agonist- and Ca2+-dependent desensitization of TRPV1 channel targets the receptor to lysosomes for degradation. - PubMed - NCBI

I know 2 indians that look extremely young for their age (40+) and they both eat a lot of spicy stuff, cayenne peppers etc. I think this might be why, usually agonists of an hormone seem to lead to receptor desentisization while inhibitors lead to sentisization, could that be right ?

It's possible, but I would like to see a study on it before I say something more definitive.

lvysaur

Curcumin (curry) Is Serotonergic

99% of curry isn't going to have fresh turmeric. If it even contains any, it will be a highly oxidized and less potent powdered form of the root (which I've heard can be contaminated).

As for "curry" in general, I've never especially liked it, and the smell is foul. I think this is due mostly to a select few spices, and I find especially "pungent" spices (cumin, fenugreek, asafoetida) to be very off-putting. Garlic can be off-putting as well, but I still use it occasionally because it tastes good. Fenugreek in particular is lactogenic.

I've found that eating small amounts of pre-made spice mixtures gives me a noticeable "smell" the next day, which is distinct from a "natural" body odor that one would get from moving around a lot. I also get a similar body odor when I eat beans and lentils plain, without spices.

Spices that I find pleasant include: saffron, cardamom, coriander seed, ginger, and turmeric. To be clear, I use turmeric rarely, as an occasional flavoring for milk and honey. The use of all of these spices don't give me any objectionable odors.

Last edited:

Parsifal

Screening of estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities from medicinal plants. - PubMed - NCBI
The medicinal plant extracts commercially used in Asia were screened for their estrogenic and antiestrogenic activities in a recombinant yeast system featuring both a human estrogen receptor (ER) expression plasmid and a reporter plasmid. Pueraria lobata (flower) had the highest estrogenic relative potency (RP, 7.75×10(-3); RP of 17β-estradiol=1), followed by Amomum xanthioides (1.25×10(-3)). Next potent were a group consisting of Glycyrrhiza uralensis, Zingiber officinale (Ginger), Rheum undulatum, Curcuma aromatica, Eriobotrya japonica, Sophora flavescens, Anemarrhena asphodeloides, Polygonum multiflorum, and Pueraria lobata (root) (ranging from 9.5×10(-4) to 1.0×10(-4)). Least potent were Prunus persica, Lycoppus lucidus, and Adenophora stricta (ranging from 9.0×10(-5) to 8.0×10(-5)).

It seems ginger is a source of phytoestrogens which could be problematic depending on how potent this effect is. Tumeric also. Maybe co-administration with aspirin would lessen the effect... I believe most plants contain phytoestrogens including coffee and chocolate but this doesn't necessarily disqualify them for safe use. Furthermore ginger has shown lots of promise in treating breast and prostate cancer as well as radiation damage which I believe suggests anti-estrogen activity.
Very interesting. What do you think about cayenne pepper?

Dopamine

Very interesting. What do you think about cayenne pepper?

Well I'm not sure if cayenne peppers have any health benefits but Haiduts post above about pain receptors and aging would seem to indicate maybe all spicy foods should be avoided. Perhaps taking this stuff in pill form is a different story as it would bypass the tongues taste receptors.

lvysaur

Well I'm not sure if cayenne peppers have any health benefits but Haiduts post above about pain receptors and aging would seem to indicate maybe all spicy foods should be avoided.

I agree with this, piquant food always brings me down, even if it's just a little.

vulture

BeHealthy

Yes, Peat told me the same thing over an email but he also said that the roots like ginger and curcumin are likely less dangerous than capsaicin, which is known to accelerate aging.
I just purchased some ginger root to take before each meal for the improvement of digestion. Do you think that this would be dangerous? Or would Peat think that this was fine because it's a root? Thanks in advance.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals