Cyproheptadine As A Powerful Antidepressant

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study shows a number of key points central to Peat's views. Cortisol secretion is under the control of serotonin, and as such cortisol and serotonin are high in depression. Most effective antidepressants are antagonists of serotonin and lower cortisol as well. This includes some the dreaded SSRI drugs, since they have been shown to be antagonists of the 5-HT2C receptor even though their overall effects is pro-serotonergic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6137645

"...About -40-50% of patients with major depression exhibit cortisol secretory abnormalities similar to that of Cushing’s disease. The cortisol secretory abnormalities and the symptoms of Cushing’s disease can be successfully treated with cyproheptadine, a central serotonin antagonist. Since cyproheptadine also increases appetite and duration of sleep and has an antidepressant effect in patients with anorexia nervosa we have begun to examine cyproheptadine’s effect in depression with and without associated pituitary-adrenal disinhibition."

"...Cyproheptadine has multiple neurochemical effects. Its potency as a serotonin antagonist and the likelihood that this property accounts for its therapeutic effect in Cushing’s disease lead us to speculate that this property accounts for its apparent antidepressant effect. Although this speculation is contrary to the notion that depression involves a functional deficit in serotonin, it is supported by recent observations that conventional antidepressants block serotonin receptors as well as inhibiting reuptake of serotonin."

"...Cyproheptadine’s apparent ability to normalise the cortisol secretory dynamics and improve the clinical symptoms of both Cushing’s disease and depression associated with pituitary-adrenal disinhibition suggest that both illnesses involve a similar or linked central nervous system condition. If further studies support these preliminary findings cyproheptadine would be a uniquely specific, safe, and effective antidepressant for a subgroup of depressed patients."

khan

This works very well for my anxiety and depression. Could this be used long time? Thanks

Makrosky

khan said:
This works very well for my anxiety and depression. Could this be used long time? Thanks

Ray Peat generally suggests using it short-term. Although there are many experiences on this forum about using it for months.

If you don't want to depend on it for long-term use, then I think you should try to lower your serotonin levels by other means. Plenty of them to choose from. Improving bowels, decreasing endotoxin, decreasing estrogen, decreasing cortisol, and a myriad of other methods. Look for haidut's posts on BCAA for instance.

Good luck!!

I was wondering the same. The little booklet that came with cypro says that it shouldn't be used longer than 2 weeks. It says that it has negative effects on teeth because of its calcium blocking action.

answersfound

I noticed cypro increases my vitamin k requirements.

Also, I don't think there's too much of a problem taking it long term, especially if coffee/caffeine is consumed.

cypro must be the world's worst antidepressant...i havent seen any relief from my depression, only a washed out, gloomy feeling. sometimes i feel like it makes my depression worse.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Coldhandsandfeet said:
post 104006 cypro must be the world's worst antidepressant...i havent seen any relief from my depression, only a washed out, gloomy feeling. sometimes i feel like it makes my depression worse.

If it does that then it means you are severely hypothyroid. It lowers your stress hormones and then you have nothing to run on. I'd test thyroid function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haidut, When I was on a ssri, all my sever digestive discomforts that I have had for years went away. After I stopped the ssri they came back within a few months. Do you think this is from antagonizing the 5-HT2C receptor? If so then Cypro should have the same effect?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
extremecheddar said:
post 104700 Haidut, When I was on a ssri, all my sever digestive discomforts that I have had for years went away. After I stopped the ssri they came back within a few months. Do you think this is from antagonizing the 5-HT2C receptor? If so then Cypro should have the same effect?

It depends on what the real issue is. Have you seen a doctor about the digestive discomfort? Serotonin dulls pain and discomfort and this is one of the ways it keeps animals hibernating for months. So, the SSRI may have been alleviating this discomfort but aggravating the underlying issue. If the SSRI did help you through antagonizing 5-HT2C then cyproheptadine should have the same effect. The drug mirtazapine may help you even more since is also antagonizes 5-HT3 and as such targets the GI tract even more than cypro.

Doctors were only able to find gastritis and Poor functioning gallbladder via hida scan. At this point the only option they give me is gallbladder surgery. Avoiding foods that cause discomfort helps but is no cure.

I agree though that the ssri probably just dulled the discomfort. Looking back It seemed to give me a false resilience, but In reality just couldn't feel when I was stressing my body.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
extremecheddar said:
post 104810 Doctors were only able to find gastritis and Poor functioning gallbladder via hida scan. At this point the only option they give me is gallbladder surgery. Avoiding foods that cause discomfort helps but is no cure.

Antihistamines like cyproheptadine and famotidine have been used in the past for gastritis, so you may want to inquire about that. The cypro may be effective for gallbladder as well but there is limited data on that.

milk_lover

Well, I think tackling serotonin without using cypro might be better for those who want to lose weight. Aspirin, coffee/caffeine, niacinamide, taurine, etc., may be safer than cypro. I believe cypro is not that great for libido.. maybe u need B6 with it.

Antonello

Antihistamines like cyproheptadine and famotidine have been used in the past for gastritis, so you may want to inquire about that. The cypro may be effective for gallbladder as well but there is limited data on that.
I saw you mentioned cypro for gallbladder but there are no studie on that, can you please clarified the mechanism on how Cyproheptadine cal help gallbladder? Thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I saw you mentioned cypro for gallbladder but there are no studie on that, can you please clarified the mechanism on how Cyproheptadine cal help gallbladder? Thanks

Serotonin antagonists have been used on rodents to help with gallbladder issues. Don't think cypro has been used directly hence why I said "limited data". Serotonin antagonists seem helpful for pancreatitis, IBS, gastroparesis, etc which shows serotonin is a prime driver of many (most?) GI pathologies.

InChristAlone

I have been on it for one yr. It is definitely a wonder drug. Tried going off to see if I could get my liver enzymes back down, but I only lasted a week. I had begun to get all my old symptoms back. So while it does not cure, it definitely stops symptoms. When I first started it I did feel kinda gloomy, but it goes away the longer you take it.

ddjd

I can attest to this. When I was having bad panic attacks last year, cypro was the only thing that could stop them. Life saver

Kartoffel

It's amazing what gets published in medical journals these days :D Their serotonin is the happy hormone-story has become so thoroughly disproved on an evidence-based level that they now need to come up with ridiculous short stories like this. "Oh, our daughter asked something about god today. Must be because her happy hormone got so low from that stuff the doctor gave her. Quick Bill, call the newspapers!"