Famotidine Is A Powerful Anti-serotonin Drug, Can Even Treat Serotonin Syndrome

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I was considering it, but I don't want to reduce stomach acid. Is there any other anti-serotonin substance similar and as cheap as cypro(aside from BCAA's-tyrosine and the dopamine promoters discussed here)? I'm looking for something that directly lowers serotonin, like cypro, not a reduction via dopamine promoters.

In lower doses of 10mg or even 20mg daily famotidine was shown to not affect stomach acid much and its anti-GERD effects are likely due to the protective effects it has on the gastric and esophageal linings. To start blocking acid production usually at least 40mg daily are needed and for some people up to 80mg.
As far as serotonin antagonists - there are quite a few and if you simply google for "serotonin antagonists" you will find a lot of links listing them.

Ron J

In lower doses of 10mg or even 20mg daily famotidine was shown to not affect stomach acid much and its anti-GERD effects are likely due to the protective effects it has on the gastric and esophageal linings. To start blocking acid production usually at least 40mg daily are needed and for some people up to 80mg.
As far as serotonin antagonists - there are quite a few and if you simply google for "serotonin antagonists" you will find a lot of links listing them.
I'll check it out. Thank you.

managing

Anybody have any idea what solvent to use if you want to microdose this topically? I have RO water, MCT oil, and Ethanol all readily available. @haidut ?

What is the effect of Famotidine on Brain Serotonin? Does it decrease TPH2 or whats the mechanism in brain?

Luk3

Hi, @haidut. At the start of this thread, you mentioned you were looking into a famotidine product. Was it unfeasible? I’m going to try Pepcid, but it would be good if there was a famotidine product available without all the junk!

Ktbridge

@haidut
I think I have serotonin syndrome.
How do I get tested?
And how much of famotodine can I take in a day?
Thank you!

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I started taking 10 mg famotidine morning and evening, with 12.5 mg benedryl about 6 weeks ago at bedtime for decades-long chronic cough that did not respond to any normal antihistamine (H1) or any asthma or COPD medication. Many of these meds gave me headaches or tachycardia. So I stopped the prescription meds and just started the famotidine plus low dose benedryl. My cough is 90% improved and my mood is improving slowly too. It is very unusual for my mood to improve at the start of winter!

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Thank you @JudiBlueHen I've been throwing up for two days now and a fever . Unable to function.
I hope you get a chance to rest! Sounds like a "stomach flu" or some bad food. Shellfish that's a little old (but still tastes OK) has done that to me on several occasions.

Ktbridge

I hope you get a chance to rest! Sounds like a "stomach flu" or some bad food. Shellfish that's a little old (but still tastes OK) has done that to me on several occasions.
Thank you.
I know it looks like a stomach flu , but it keeps happening and it’s like a serotonin syndrome to me.
Thank you for the advice.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Thank you.
I know it looks like a stomach flu , but it keeps happening and it’s like a serotonin syndrome to me.
Thank you for the advice.
Ah sorry, I missed the fact that it keeps repeating. I believe serotonin syndrome, in its lesser forms (major event will send one to the ER) is more common than doctors realize. There is a lot of mental illness in my family, thus in my genes, and I think I have suffered its lesser forms also, which include a lot of IBS-like symptoms. If I continue to do well on the famotidine, I will report back.

Ktbridge

Ah sorry, I missed the fact that it keeps repeating. I believe serotonin syndrome, in its lesser forms (major event will send one to the ER) is more common than doctors realize. There is a lot of mental illness in my family, thus in my genes, and I think I have suffered its lesser forms also, which include a lot of IBS-like symptoms. If I continue to do well on the famotidine, I will report back.
Ok .
Thank you for all the help.

golder

If anyone can help with a UK/worldwide source, please message me. Many thanks!

golder

Really interested to hear how you've gotten on with your longer term famotidine use? Thanks!

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Still taking it - the effect is subtle but positive. Generally my mood is better and my IBS-like symptoms are less frequent. I don't see a downside at this point, so I will continue. Thanks for asking!

japanesedude

been taking 10mg twice a day. I found 10mg famotidine's serotonin antagonism is more powerful than 1mg ketotifen or 1mg cypro.
what i like is it doesn't make me drowsy and doesn't seem to affect negatively on dopamine

lvysaur

Interestingly famotidine was shown to be helpful wrt COVID19, they noticed that the poorer people in China had a lower death rate, and it was because the richer people were using a different and more expensive pharma medicine.

that @haidut was promoting it 3 years ago only adds to the case

Anyone got some of that Idealabs Ulcerban

E936B8CE-FCC6-43FF-94DD-0E435322483B.jpeg

Welp, I found out why ulcerban doesn’t exist : “Famotidine is a white to pale yellow crystalline compound that is freely soluble in glacial acetic acid, slightly soluble in methanol, very slightly soluble in water, and practically insoluble in ethanol”

cjm

Anybody have any idea what solvent to use if you want to microdose this topically? I have RO water, MCT oil, and Ethanol all readily available. @haidut ?

I used ethanol and it worked.