Doc Gave Me Mirtazapine For Sleep, Is It Safe For Few Weeks Use?

Stuart

mujuro said:
I used it briefly to combat bipolar symptoms, and also high cortisol. I felt tremendously calm for about a week, at which point it wore off and I felt cortisol symptoms re-emerge. I just kept building tolerance to it. It also stopped me up real good. Had to go heavy on the coconut oil to get things moving. It has no sedative effects for me, or perhaps I'm just accustomed to the massive stoned incapacitation you receive from quetiapine, asenapine and the like.

I was given it once in hospital after minor surgery. It was very constipating even after one dose. Slept well though.

Nick Ireland

It's been a while since I used cyprohetidine.....
I'm curious META, what is your Peat cocktail of choice for a local all night rave? :):

Nick Ireland said:
It's been a while since I used cyprohetidine.....
I'm curious META, what is your Peat cocktail of choice for a local all night rave? :):

It depends what cocktails you will be having in the first place :lol:

Giraffe

yoshiesque said:
post 87223 My doctor has prescribed me Mirtazapine 7.5mg for sleep. He said i only need to take it for 2-4 weeks then I can go off it.
What was your experience with Mirtazapine?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

yoshiesque

its crap. made me super drowsy for 24 hours. also it does not really help me stay asleep. i kept waking up but feeling REALLY drowsy so id go back to sleep but wake up again.

i dont recommend it. Serepax has proven to be the best for sleep. Its good at restoring sleeping patterns, knocks me out, wake up feeling refreshed. of course i wouldnt use it for long term.

but i think for me hands down best thing has been practising some stress management/relaxation stuff for sleep.

Giraffe

yoshiesque said:
post 109672 its crap. made me super drowsy for 24 hours. also it does not really help me stay asleep. i kept waking up but feeling REALLY drowsy so id go back to sleep but wake up again.
I have for a short time (days) tried Mirtazapine for sleep. Not so happy about the results either. I have been told by a pharmacist that it takes up to four weeks for this drug to have therapeutic effect, but where I live it is mainly prescribed for depression. Do you remember how long you took Mirtazapine?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat talks about Doxylamine Succinate which can be very helpful for sleep.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

i only took it for 5 days max. by then, it will have its antidepressant effects.

if you have insomnia, you might need to do some meditation/yoga style stuff to get your mind at ease. that an exercise helps.

Giraffe

yoshiesque said:
post 109682 i only took it for 5 days max. by then, it will have its antidepressant effects.

if you have insomnia, you might need to do some meditation/yoga style stuff to get your mind at ease. that an exercise helps.
Thanks for your replies, Yoshiesque. I do practice meditation style techniqes. They help with racing mind and other things, but I still find it difficult to fall asleep, and I have on/off phases of interrupted sleep. There are so many things that need to be right... diet, light, style of life...

OP
Y

yoshiesque

yeah definitely getting enough sun helps and exercising during the day. otherwise also consider getting phenibut. thats helped me quite alot too. it helps me stay asleep. take it here and there. no more than 2 days in a row.

my main problem is im overwhelmed by the millions of things i need to do with my life. so trying to be calm about it has helped

DaveFoster

I've taken 40 mg cypro daily; you really do adapt to the sedation effects entirely. It also terminates any stress response and gut issues.

Area-1255

Lots of grave digging going on around here I see. For the record, Mirtazapine is a very safe medication, it also can have beneficial effects on Cortisol (↓) and may over time decrease a2-adrenergic receptors. Effects of long-term treatment with the alpha 2-adrenoceptor antagonist mirtazapine on 5-HT neurotransmission. - PubMed - NCBI
Besides Vortioxetine, it's one of the few anti-depressants around these days with minimal / no side-effects and beneficial effects on overall hormone health. Wellbutrin is a good one too but it doesn't promote sleep.

jyb

I challenge you to fear anything after 10mg cyproheptadine :lol:

Did 45mg cypro for days. You can find me writing about it a couple years ago. There's not much difference with 10mg considering the effect wears off while you build up tolerance. Actually, it could be less sedating than the first 1mg you take depending on how you build up.

Did 45mg cypro for days. You can find me writing about it a couple years ago. There's not much difference with 10mg considering the effect wears off while you build up tolerance. Actually, it could be less sedating than the first 1mg you take depending on how you build up.

I don't have experience past the mid term but I feel that the initial drowsiness (which can hit in full force with as little as 0.5mg) wears off but there is a baseline of relaxation that does not wear off.

jyb

I don't have experience past the mid term but I feel that the initial drowsiness (which can hit in full force with as little as 0.5mg) wears off but there is a baseline of relaxation that does not wear off.

Yeah there might be a sweet spot at a few mg's. But my point is that not much difference might be experienced by taking huge doses.

I also stopped mirtazapine cold turkey years before I knew about cypro. One of the best days in my life. Don't get me wrong, I don't think mirta is harmful like the SSRI's, but it does take some life out of you - it numbs you down in some sense.

Area-1255

Yeah there might be a sweet spot at a few mg's. But my point is that not much difference might be experienced by taking huge doses.

I also stopped mirtazapine cold turkey years before I knew about cypro. One of the best days in my life. Don't get me wrong, I don't think mirta is harmful like the SSRI's, but it does take some life out of you - it numbs you down in some sense.
You gotta take it with an H3 antagonist to offset the sedative effects, also, higher doses are require to reduce it's sedative effects and favor its antidepressant effects. Read the literature behind it.

Area-1255

Betahistine is ideal but that will reduce/eliminate its sleep inducing effects.

DaveFoster

Same. I actually felt great while I was doing it. Probably the best I've ever felt. It's expensive and hard on the liver, unfortunately.