Ginger dose dependantly increases MAO-A, SERT and lowers Tryptophan hydroxylase 1 & 2 in gut and brainstem

Rave re-peat

I don't know any other natural compound having such positive and anti serotonergic effect as ginger considering the following.

So previous studies posted here has shown ginger to antiemetic antagonising 5ht3 receptors in the gut. This study further show the gut brain connection and its relation to serotonin.

Gingerol, the active component of ginger dose dependantly increased serotonin clearance by increasing serotonin transport and increasing its breakdown through monoamine oxidase A. On top of that it also reduced the limiting step of its synthesis by lowering tryptophan hydroxylase both 1 & 2 resulting in significant reduction of serotonin in the gut and the brain stem.

The study used a chemotherapy drug to induce high serotonin. As this drug is seen as effective in cancer treatment but so serotonergic and toxic that its use is limited.

[6]-Gingerol Ameliorates Cisplatin-Induced Pica by Regulating the TPH/MAO-A/SERT/5-HT/5-HT3 Receptor System in Rats.

Purpose: [6]-gingerol is a bioactive compound extracted from ginger, a traditional anti-emetic herb in Chinese medicine. Previous studies have demonstrated that [6]-gingerol can ameliorate chemotherapy-induced pica in rats, although the underlying mechanism has not been elucidated. This study is designed to investigate [6]-gingerol’s antiemetic mechanism focusing on the 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin, 5-HT) system by evaluating the synthesis, metabolism and reuptake of 5-HT, as well as the mechanism of 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3 receptor (5-HT3 receptor), in a cisplatin-induced pica model of rats.

RNA Expression of TPH, MAO-A, SERT, and 5-HT3 Receptor in Ileum and Medulla Oblongata
The reduction in 5-HT levels by [6]-gingerol against cisplatin-induced emesis in rats might be due to the regulation of 5-HT synthesis, metabolism, and/or reuptake, as well as 5-HT3A receptor activity. In order to assess these metrics, the RNA expression of TPH, MAO-A, SERT, and 5-HT3 receptor were measured. After cisplatin administration, TPH-1 and TPH-2 expression increased significantly in ileum and medulla oblongata, respectively, compared to the control group (P<0.05, Figures 6B and 7B). [6]-gingerol significantly downregulated TPH-1 and TPH-2 expression after cisplatin treatment as compared to the cisplatin control (P<0.05). 5-HT3 receptor mRNA expression was increased in medulla oblongata and ileum (P<0.05). Combined treatment with [6]-gingerol reduced 5-HT3 receptor expression in medulla oblongata and ileum (P<0.05, Figures 6A and 7A). However, cisplatin administration significantly reduced MAO-A mRNA content in ileum and medulla oblongata compared to the control group (Figures 6C and 7C, P<0.05), while the addition of [6]-gingerol significantly increased MAO-A mRNA in ileum when compared to the cisplatin model group (P<0.05). SERT expression in ileum was significantly reduced by cisplatin treatment (P<0.05). Combined treatment with [6]-gingerol increased ileum SERT expression (P<0.05, Figures 6D and 7D).

Protein Expression of TPH, MAO-A, and 5-HT3 Receptor in Ileum and Medulla Oblongata
After the RNA expression of TPH, MAO-A, SERT, and 5-HT3 receptor had been assessed, protein expression was measured. Protein samples from the treatment groups were analyzed for protein content (Figures 8A and 9A). After cisplatin treatment, TPH-1 levels in ileum and TPH-2 levels in medulla oblongata were significantly increased compared to the blank group (P<0.05, Figures 8C and 9C), while the addition of [6]-gingerol significantly reduced the noted increases in TPH-1 and TPH-2 levels (P<0.01, P<0.05). Ileum and medulla oblongata MAO-A were significantly reduced in the cisplatin group compared to the blank group (P<0.01, Figure 8D and P<0.05, Figure 9D), whereas ondansetron and high dosage of [6]-gingerol significantly increased the expression levels of MAO-A in medulla oblongata (P<0.05, Figure 9D). The protein expression of 5-HT3 receptor in medulla oblongata and ileum increased significantly with cisplatin administration (P<0.05), and this effect was reduced in groups treated with ondansetron and high dosage of [6]-gingerol (P<0.05, Figure 8B and P<0.05, Figure 9B).

TPH, MAO-A, and 5-HT3 Receptor Immunostaining Expression in Ileum and Medulla Oblongata
5-HT3 receptor, TPH, and MAO-A staining intensities (red-brown deposits indicate positive staining) were mainly present in the mucosa and submucosa of ileum, as well as in the neurons of medulla oblongata. As previously noted, cisplatin had significant impacts on 5-HT3 receptor, TPH, and MAO-A protein levels in both medulla oblongata and ileum, which was reversed by combined treatment with [6]-gingerol (Figures 10 and 11). Importantly, the observed effect of [6]-gingerol on 5-HT3 receptor, TPH, and MAO-A protein levels was in a dose-dependent manner.

Ondansetron and other antiemetic 5ht3 antagonist most likely have this effect aswell. Since the majority of serotonin made in the body is made in the gut and the guts connection to spinal cord and brain stem it seems logical that potent anti 5ht3 antagonists have an overall strong anti serotonergic effect. 5ht3 agonist side effects include nausea, anxiety and depression. So ginger can treat all of that.
On top of that ginger increases dopamine and testosterone synthesis.

As seen in the picture of the medulla oblongata and the brain stem below that it has a direct connection to the thalamus and pituitary gland.

IMG_20210228_131807.jpg

6-Gingerol-rich fraction from Zingiber officinale ameliorates carbendazim-induced endocrine disruption and toxicity in testes and epididymis of rats​

Moreover, CBZ administration alone significantly decreased plasma levels of testosterone, thyrotropin, triiodothyronine and tetraiodothyronine, whereas follicle-stimulating hormone was significantly elevated without affecting luteinising hormone and prolactin levels when compared with the control. Conversely, 6-GRF ameliorated the disruption in the hormonal levels and restored their levels to near normalcy in CBZ-treated rats. Collectively, 6-GRF inhibited the adverse effects of CBZ on the antioxidant defence systems, hormonal balance and histology of the testes and epididymis in rats.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Hope this is true. One more reason to eat ginger. Its suppose to have also quite antibacterial and antifungal effect aswell.

OP
R

Rave re-peat

Nice ways for people to ingest ginger. I grate it into my carrot sallads. Or you can grate it into hot water. And let it be for awhile. Remove the ginger fibers, add some more hot water, honey and some milk. It makes a good tasting spicy tea.

OP
R

Rave re-peat

Hope this is true. One more reason to eat ginger. Its suppose to have also quite antibacterial and antifungal effect aswell.

I am certain of it. All research behind it shows it being a potent anti serotonin root. And its effective against many symptoms of high serotonin like gut issues, nausea and migraines. I myself suffer from migraines wich is known to be serotonin related and was once treated with cyphroheptadine. Ingesting ginger it instantly clears my migraines once I feel it reaches the gut. Its really effective for that. I was blown away first time i tried it.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good timing. I was just about to make myself so apple/ginger beer!

Dobbler

There are many studies showing it lowers all inflammation markers, including nitric oxide.

Quelsatron

Nice ways for people to ingest ginger. I grate it into my carrot sallads. Or you can grate it into hot water. And let it be for awhile. Remove the ginger fibers, add some more hot water, honey and some milk. It makes a good tasting spicy tea.
I made candied ginger and it's very tasty, but I wonder how heat stable all the important compounds in the root are. Anyone know?

OP
R

Rave re-peat

I made candied ginger and it's very tasty, but I wonder how heat stable all the important compounds in the root are. Anyone know?

The compound gingerol is heat sensitive. Drying it transforms it to shogaol wich also seems to have similair effects. Cooking under heat transforms it to zingerol wich I dont believe is active in the same way. I personally feel most benefits when it is as fresh as possible but obviously all ginger will still have some impact

golder

Great article. I’m going to get some ginger tea. Is there a specific one that would be most beneficial, such as the root etc.?

Quelsatron

The compound gingerol is heat sensitive. Drying it transforms it to shogaol wich also seems to have similair effects. Cooking under heat transforms it to zingerol wich I dont believe is active in the same way. I personally feel most benefits when it is as fresh as possible but obviously all ginger will still have some impact
Well, that's unfortunate. I've found candied ginger is the best supplemental form, since it's not so ridiculously strong nor requires any immediate preparation

Angel45

I am certain of it. All research behind it shows it being a potent anti serotonin root. And its effective against many symptoms of high serotonin like gut issues, nausea and migraines. I myself suffer from migraines wich is known to be serotonin related and was once treated with cyphroheptadine. Ingesting ginger it instantly clears my migraines once I feel it reaches the gut. Its really effective for that. I was blown away first time i tried it.
Does it have to be raw. Would hot ginger tea destroy the anti serotonin properties?

shine

Does it have to be raw. Would hot ginger tea destroy the anti serotonin properties?
If you want to ingest 6-gingerol, it has to be raw. If you cook it or make hot tea, 6-gingerol will be turned into the less pungent zingerone. If you dry it, it will be turned into 6-shogaol, which is also very beneficial and anti-serotonin.

Personally I use 12 g of dried ginger flakes sprinkled over my food daily. I also put ginger essential oil into my bath water and mix 2-3 drops of it into my shampoo bottle. Ginger is great stuff!

Angel45

If you want to ingest 6-gingerol, it has to be raw. If you cook it or make hot tea, 6-gingerol will be turned into the less pungent zingerone. If you dry it, it will be turned into 6-shogaol, which is also very beneficial and anti-serotonin.

Personally I use 12 g of dried ginger flakes sprinkled over my food daily. I also put ginger essential oil into my bath water and mix 2-3 drops of it into my shampoo bottle. Ginger is great stuff!
Thanks. I just ordered a co2 extracted ginger supp and a traditional ginger supplement to compare. I'm assuming these would not have 6-gingerol but the 6-shogaol. Do essential oils have 6-gingerol.

stoic

Would a cup of ginger tea every evening bring a noticeable effect?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals