Ginger Powder Is As Effective As Sumatriptan Against Migraine Attacks, With A Better Safety Profile

Logan-

Maghbooli, M., Golipour, F., Moghimi Esfandabadi, A. and Yousefi, M. (2014), Comparison Between the Efficacy of Ginger and Sumatriptan in the Ablative Treatment of the Common Migraine. Phytother. Res., 28: 412–415. doi:10.1002/ptr.4996

I take 20-25 grams of ground ginger nearly every day. It has helped me a lot with my struggle against chronic migraine. I divide the doses throughout the day. Just add ginger powder to a cup of water, mix it with a teaspoon and drink it.

Ginger is a 5-HT3 antagonist. It also increases testosterone and fertility, inhibits nitric oxide synthesis,inhibits prostaglandin synthesis; inhibits platelet aggregation; inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokines’ synthesis; inhibits macrophage activation; reduces lipid peroxidation, enhances mood, enhances memory in healthy subjects, neuroprotective, chemopreventive, antiemetic, antiarthritic, increases the thermic effect of foods, slightly increases metabolic rate, protects against exercise induced leaky gut, decreases learned helplessness (rat studies), helps with serotonin induced hypothermia and diarrhea, enhances cognitive function, decreases intestinal inflammation.

All of these effects I have read from scientific studies.

Last edited:

yomama

Maghbooli, M., Golipour, F., Moghimi Esfandabadi, A. and Yousefi, M. (2014), Comparison Between the Efficacy of Ginger and Sumatriptan in the Ablative Treatment of the Common Migraine. Phytother. Res., 28: 412–415. doi:10.1002/ptr.4996

I take 20-25 grams of ground ginger nearly every day. It has helped me a lot with my struggle against chronic migraine. I divide the doses throughout the day. Just add ginger powder to a cup of water, mix it with a teaspoon and drink it.

Ginger is a 5-HT3 antagonist. It also increases testosterone and fertility, inhibits nitric oxide synthesis,inhibits prostaglandin synthesis; inhibits platelet aggregation; inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokines’ synthesis; inhibits macrophage activation; reduces lipid peroxidation, enhances mood, enhances memory in healthy subjects, neuroprotective, chemopreventive, antiemetic, antiarthritic, increases the thermic effect of foods, slightly increases metabolic rate, protects against exercise induced leaky gut, decreases learned helplessness (rat studies), helps with serotonin induced hypothermia and diarrhea, enhances cognitive function, decreases intestinal inflammation.

All of these effects I have read from scientific studies.

You forgot lowers blood pressure, increases blood flow, increases blood peripheral circulation, enhance nutrient absorption, helps with nausea, lowers liver inflammation, etc. :)

I take a teaspoon with orange juice each morning as well a chunk of fresh root when making juice with a blender. And yes ginger helped me too with migraine (same for Vit. B2 and Ginkgo).

And as last note, in TCM fresh and dried rizome have pretty different effects.

Dobbler

Whats with grounded ginger? Eat fresh stuff, burns like hell but its quickly over.

aguilaroja

Maghbooli...(2014), Comparison Between the Efficacy of Ginger and Sumatriptan in the Ablative Treatment of the Common Migraine.
...I take 20-25 grams of ground ginger nearly every day. It has helped me a lot with my struggle against chronic migraine. ...

This recent study used two capsules of ginger extract, added to usual analgesic, to significantly relieve migraine. If effectiveness, safety and minimal cost were primary, it might become a routine part of acute migraine care. The paper also includes references to previous studies, including the Maghbooli one.

Double-blind placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of ginger ( Zingiber officinale Rosc.) addition in migraine acute treatment. - PubMed - NCBI
"Patients treated with ginger showed significantly better clinical response after 1 h ( p = 0.04), 1.5 h ( p = 0.01) and 2 h ( p = 0.04). Furthermore, ginger treatment promoted reduction in pain and improvement on functional status at all times assessed."

"Most patients (73.1%) that received ginger extract reported being fully satisfied with treatment versus 28.1% of patients that received placebo (p < 0.01) ... No one reported being very dissatisfied or fully dissatisfied with the treatment."

Peatful

@Logan-
@yomama

Can you link or site your ginger sources?
Thank you!

yomama

@Peatful anything labeled as organic and NOT coming from China or India, not a specific brand, where I live there are a lot of sources, supermarkets, herbal/neighborhood stores and even street markets, you just have to look for the "organic" and "collected/made in" labels.

OP
L

Logan-

This recent study used two capsules of ginger extract, added to usual analgesic, to significantly relieve migraine. If effectiveness, safety and minimal cost were primary, it might become a routine part of acute migraine care. The paper also includes references to previous studies, including the Maghbooli one.

Double-blind placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of ginger ( Zingiber officinale Rosc.) addition in migraine acute treatment. - PubMed - NCBI
"Patients treated with ginger showed significantly better clinical response after 1 h ( p = 0.04), 1.5 h ( p = 0.01) and 2 h ( p = 0.04). Furthermore, ginger treatment promoted reduction in pain and improvement on functional status at all times assessed."

"Most patients (73.1%) that received ginger extract reported being fully satisfied with treatment versus 28.1% of patients that received placebo (p < 0.01) ... No one reported being very dissatisfied or fully dissatisfied with the treatment."

I haven't seen that study before. Thanks for sharing.

Here are the other ginger studies for the treatment of migraine attacks:

**Cady RK, Schreiber CP, Beach ME, et al. Gelstat Migraine (sublingually administered feverfew and ginger compound) for acute treatment of migraine when administered during the mild pain phase. Med Sci Monit 2005; 11: PI65–PI69.

**Cady RK, Goldstein J, Nett R, et al. A double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study of sublingual feverfew and ginger (LipiGesic M) in the treatment of migraine. Headache 2011; 51: 1078–1086.

**Mustafa T and Srivastava KC. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) in migraine headache. J Ethnopharmacol 1990; 29: 267–273.

**Aurora SK, Vermaas A, Barrodale PM. 2006. Gelstat is Effective in Relieving Migraine Pain in a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. 48th Annual Scientific Meeting, American Headache Society; June 22-25; Los Angeles, CA.

@Logan-
@yomama

Can you link or site your ginger sources?
Thank you!

I buy from a local store, but as @yomama stated there are a lot of ginger powder sources from which you can buy. You can buy it from amazon too, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Organ...ainer/dp/B000WS3AMU?tag=wwwnaturallyb-20&th=1

A review in the above page:

5.0 out of 5 starsMIGRAINE treatment!!!

April 17, 2018

Size: 1-Pack|Verified Purchase

So, I kinda doubt this review will be seen by many folks actually searching for a migraine treatment, but let me tell ya... this stuff works. Not always, but neither does Imitrex. There’s a cool study on Pubmed about the efficacy of ground ginger vs. triptans (rx), and they performed equally well. Now this is our go-to, as soon as the noggin-throbbing and nausea hit. It killed the migraine 50% of the time until we started adding 20 oz. water + 1/4 t. Himalayan salt, at the same time, and I think this has us up to 75% successful treatment without ever touching Fioricet or Imitrex. We happen to have a milligram scale and use around 1 gram at a time, but considering how safe this stuff is, I’d recommend finding a way to get 1/4 t down, and add/subtract as needed, from there. In raw powder form, it doesnt taste too terrible with cocoa powder and stevia, unless you happen to feel well enough to make a smoothie mid-migraine, but its easiest to take in capsule form. REALLY wish I had known about this long ago... not just to spare my daughter and I a few migraines, but also, at least $1500 in copays on prescriptions for migraines.

alywest

I haven't seen that study before. Thanks for sharing.

Here are the other ginger studies for the treatment of migraine attacks:

**Cady RK, Schreiber CP, Beach ME, et al. Gelstat Migraine (sublingually administered feverfew and ginger compound) for acute treatment of migraine when administered during the mild pain phase. Med Sci Monit 2005; 11: PI65–PI69.

**Cady RK, Goldstein J, Nett R, et al. A double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study of sublingual feverfew and ginger (LipiGesic M) in the treatment of migraine. Headache 2011; 51: 1078–1086.

**Mustafa T and Srivastava KC. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) in migraine headache. J Ethnopharmacol 1990; 29: 267–273.

**Aurora SK, Vermaas A, Barrodale PM. 2006. Gelstat is Effective in Relieving Migraine Pain in a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. 48th Annual Scientific Meeting, American Headache Society; June 22-25; Los Angeles, CA.

I buy from a local store, but as @yomama stated there are a lot of ginger powder sources from which you can buy. You can buy it from amazon too, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Organ...ainer/dp/B000WS3AMU?tag=wwwnaturallyb-20&th=1

A review in the above page:

5.0 out of 5 starsMIGRAINE treatment!!!

April 17, 2018

Size: 1-Pack|Verified Purchase

So, I kinda doubt this review will be seen by many folks actually searching for a migraine treatment, but let me tell ya... this stuff works. Not always, but neither does Imitrex. There’s a cool study on Pubmed about the efficacy of ground ginger vs. triptans (rx), and they performed equally well. Now this is our go-to, as soon as the noggin-throbbing and nausea hit. It killed the migraine 50% of the time until we started adding 20 oz. water + 1/4 t. Himalayan salt, at the same time, and I think this has us up to 75% successful treatment without ever touching Fioricet or Imitrex. We happen to have a milligram scale and use around 1 gram at a time, but considering how safe this stuff is, I’d recommend finding a way to get 1/4 t down, and add/subtract as needed, from there. In raw powder form, it doesnt taste too terrible with cocoa powder and stevia, unless you happen to feel well enough to make a smoothie mid-migraine, but its easiest to take in capsule form. REALLY wish I had known about this long ago... not just to spare my daughter and I a few migraines, but also, at least $1500 in copays on prescriptions for migraines.

Thanks for sharing all of this! I woke up with a migraine in the middle of the night last night and took a triptan, and while it eased the pain my body overall feels awful. Ginger actually sounds quite appealing, so I'm currently having some with honey. The spiciness is helpful right now as it feels that it's making my blood feel less "sticky," it's seemingly helping my lungs feel clearer, and it's natural anti-nausea properties are also particularly appealing at the moment! Thanks again!

burtlancast

Thanks.

The only warning for Ginger is blood thinning medications and existing coronary heart disease.

I havn't been able to track down why it would be dangerous for coronary people, although everybody suggests the evidence exists somewhere.

On the other hand, it's a proven preventive for this very same thing.

Go figure.

aguilaroja

My impression has been that some "warnings" are ginger are theoretical, based on reports of anti-platelet aggregation findings in vitro. The general "caution" being that somehow an unknown intake of a food with a theoretical effect noticed in a lab, in cells or animals, like ginger, might confound an orthodox action of a pharmaceutical, like an anti-coagulant.

The persisting background dogma is pharmaceuticals are safe and primary, while nutrients are hazardous and at best secondary.

Anti-Platelet Aggregation and Vasorelaxing Effects of the Constituents of the Rhizomes of Zingiber officinale

Dietary Supplementation of Ginger and Turmeric Rhizomes Modulates Platelets Ectonucleotidase and Adenosine Deaminase Activities in Normotensive and... - PubMed - NCBI
"...both ginger and turmeric (2% and 4%) caused significant (p < 0.05) decreases in arginase activity and the atherogenic index, and prevented hypercholesterolemia by decreasing the TC, TGs, and LDL-C while increasing the HDL-C when compared with the controls."

Elephanto

And as last note, in TCM fresh and dried rizome have pretty different effects.

Big fan of ginger but I prefer dried (powder, tea), I find it indeed more warming and masculinizing. The cooling effect of fresh ginger is definitely noticeable too. Of course each has its functions but it has been suggested that Yin excess and Yang deficiency are much more prevalent in modern societies.

"...both ginger and turmeric (2% and 4%) caused significant (p < 0.05) decreases in arginase activity"

Important finding, considering the involvement of arginase in cancer progression. Could also explain the low rate of balding among Indian men (on top of turmeric being anti-estrogenic) as Nitric Oxide-inhibiting substances have been an important part of my regrowth, loss prevention and increase in hair quality.

Frankdee20

I get these headaches when the Weather is bad. I was just asking if anyone used Feverfew in addition to Ginger to enhance anti Serotonin effects ? Feverfew blocks more receptors than Ginger

Xemnoraq

Hi @Logan- , I just wanted to say that I can definitely agree with you on ginger based on my experiences, I actually used to pump fresh ginger into a juicer and take a shot of pure liquid ginger anytime I felt inflammation was high or anytime I had bad brain fog.

I'm very interested in researching more about ginger some of the studies I have came across definitely show things like reduced lipid peroxidation, serotonin antagonist etc. Ginger single handed has worked better and had more effect on improving mood brain clarity / consciousness , and reducing inflammation etc. than any substance or supplement I have EVER used in my life and I would like to see someone like Ray Peat touch on the topic of things like ginger, I feel a lot of people on this forum can benefit from using it, if you wouldn't mind throwing some studies on ginger my way if you find any that'd be great,

also, one thing I wanted to ask you is that if you find a difference between using ginger powder and fresh ginger, for example I have mostly used fresh ginger however due to convenience I would like to start using the powder or rhizomes supplements. The only thing stopping me from choosing powder over fresh is id like to look as see if powder still provides just as many benefits as fresh.

burtlancast

The blood lowering effects are due to volatile oils that get lost during drying.

OP
L

Logan-

Hi @Jake sullivan, for studies on ginger, you may want to look through these links
Ginger - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects
Zingiber officinale - PubMed - NCBI
gingerol - PubMed - NCBI
Shogaol - PubMed - NCBI
Zingiber officinale brain - PubMed - NCBI
Zingiber officinale cognitive - PubMed - NCBI

You can add more keywords into the pubmed search engine if you are interested in other or more specific effects of ginger.

I have tried eating fresh ginger before, and I had eaten a lot of it. Although it helped, the positive effects (on my migraine, particularly) weren't as powerful as the powdered ginger. That's because you can take much more ginger (dry matter) by weight when you're using the powder, since it lacks water. And it's easy to swallow, unlike eating the fresh rhizome; which is bitter and requires quite a bit of biting, chewing.

Back
Top Bottom