Matt Blackburn on

Julian

I'm listening to this interview with Matt Blackburn where he talks about calcification. He seems to be very anti-calcium and he blames calcium for many different diseases.

What are your thoughts on what he says in this interview?

P

Peatness

This is a great discussion. I needed to hear this today, thank you. I’m struggling with what feels like calcification/fibrosis and it’s pretty debilitating. I have been thinking seriously of dropping milk because I can’t use it properly/I don’t need as much of it as Dr Peat recommends. I do high vitamin D too. The issue is not so much calcium; I think it’s the pufa stores and other mineral inbalaces. He (MB) is making the similar points to Dr Peat. He starts off demonising calcium but progresses to discuss the mineral deficiencies such as magnesium, copper, and pufa excess. He emphasises the type of calcium such as calcium from hard water.

Before Peat, I did the whole omega 3 high pufa diet. Injuries that don’t heal properly, endotoxin, heavy metals, inflammation all contribute to calcification. The calcium is not always to blame but it’s possible that some people do not do well on a high calcium diet; I am beginning to suspect that I may be one such person.

Lastly, we have to add EMF exposure to the list I think its contributing to so many health issues including disrupting the calcium channels.

Sefton10

This is a great discussion. I needed to hear this today, thank you. I’m struggling with what feels like calcification/fibrosis and it’s pretty debilitating. I have been thinking seriously of dropping milk because I can’t use it properly/I don’t need as much of it as Dr Peat recommends. I do high vitamin D too. The issue is not so much calcium; I think it’s the pufa stores and other mineral inbalaces. He (MB) is making the similar points to Dr Peat. He starts off demonising calcium but progresses to discuss the mineral deficiencies such as magnesium, copper, and pufa excess. He emphasises the type of calcium such as calcium from hard water.

Before Peat, I did the whole omega 3 high pufa diet. Injuries that don’t heal properly, endotoxin, heavy metals, inflammation all contribute to calcification. The calcium is not always to blame but it’s possible that some people do not do well on a high calcium diet; I am beginning to suspect that I may be one such person.

Lastly, we have to add EMF exposure to the list I think its contributing to so many health issues including disrupting the calcium channels.
I think magnesium can be a big gap on this forum and generally, the RDA is likely too low. Personally I do better when I get magnesium:calcium to around 1:2. I typically get around 1g of mag and 2g of calcium a day.

Inaut

Kira

Matt drinks plenty of milk and eats cheese daily.... So he isn't talking about calcium from these foods at all

jnklheimer

Matt has bounced from trend to trend. He even had a fish oil supplement. I understand we all change our positions as we learn but I'm tired of hearing him talk about stuff as if he is an authority. He simply just repeats whatever subject he is focused on at the time.

Cloudhands

Matt has bounced from trend to trend. He even had a fish oil supplement. I understand we all change our positions as we learn but I'm tired of hearing him talk about stuff as if he is an authority. He simply just repeats whatever subject he is focused on at the time.
Not to mention hes always selling a product marketed under whatever dogma hes in. I wouldnt be surprised if the guy he had an algae oil company with were still working together and just monopolizing all of the different kinds of health freaks lol

peter88

Not to mention hes always selling a product marketed under whatever dogma hes in. I wouldnt be surprised if the guy he had an algae oil company with were still working together and just monopolizing all of the different kinds of health freaks lol
I stopped taking Blackburn seriously ever since hearing him in The Great Vitamin D Debate. He never has valid points and hops on the newest trends to shill his supplements.

jnklheimer

I stopped taking Blackburn seriously ever since hearing him in The Great Vitamin D Debate. He never has valid points and hops on the newest trends to shill his supplements.
He tried to trash Paul Chek for having a second wife in a youtube comments section awhile back, too.

Sefton10

Agree. He needs to have something to try and separate himself from just ripping off Peat, hence calcium and Vit D.

fr@

Matt drinks plenty of milk and eats cheese daily.... So he isn't talking about calcium from these foods at all
I don't know if there's a function here like "@ everybody in this thread", but if you've listened to the entire episode -- around the 1:17:00 mark, he starts talking about the ideal source for Calcium is from Diary Products; and that he personally drinks Goat's Milk & etc.

He even says to not give up on Diary and also stuff like: Milk is a Nutrient Powerhouse, 'you can almost live off from just Milk & Honey', and so on.
So basically, he's not demonizing Calcium but only Calcium Sources that are from: Supplements, Hard Water, etc.

He's also not against Vitamin-D, he's just against taking it in a supplemental form.

Though I've already heard the Ray Peat podcast episode about Vitamin-D and it's mechanistic actions (which is very informative), but factoring in my experience with supplementing Vitamin-D; I'm still not sure whether it's something that I would be taking for a long time -- in context maybe.

Now I'm not defending Matt Blackburn, but he just make sense (quite a lot in an intuitive sense); even though he comes across some what of a heretic and a shill to his supplements.

'Cause sometimes you can be so 'gung ho' about things, especially when there's studies behind -- but if your personal experience comes into play at the same time you're mentally flexible to shift from what you think is better (at the moment), I think it will save you from further unwanted outcomes.

===

In regards to supplementing Vitamin-D and also Vitamin-K (which Matt Blackburn is taking high doses off, as he mentions in the podcast) are still 'Grey Area' supplements for me.

With Vitamin-D:

- I use D3 (Thorne) topically, on my Navel
- And with just 2 drops I could feel it's benefits right after (better: mood, libido, etc)
- But I'm a bit skeptical of using it on and on -- 'cause why do I get a bit tired the day after not using it
- Also note that Milk is my official beverage, so I'm pretty sure I'm not lagging on my Calcium intake

With Vitamin-K:

- I use: K2 MK-4 (Thorne), K-Complex (Thorne), K2 MK-7 *liquid drops (Carlson)
- And I get Arrhythmias from all of them
- The sooner I experience that are from supplementing MK-4 (diluting it lessens the adverse effects)
- With MK-7 it'll take a few days of consecutive supplementation before I experience it (or if I'm taking higher doses)
- Asides from Arrhythmias I lose hair way faster regardless of MK-4 or MK-7
- And as soon as I stop taking K2 my hair loss issue goes away
- And don't know if I'm 'detoxing' from all the Calcification going on inside my body when taking K2 supplements
- Or supplementing K2 is a double-edge sword or something else

===

I would be interested though to hear from @Amazoniac about this topic, 'cause he's also a wealth of knowledge but most of the times I also can't understand (right away) what he's saying.

Kira

I don't know if there's a function here like "@ everybody in this thread", but if you've listened to the entire episode -- around the 1:17:00 mark, he starts talking about the ideal source for Calcium is from Diary Products; and that he personally drinks Goat's Milk & etc.

He even says to not give up on Diary and also stuff like: Milk is a Nutrient Powerhouse, 'you can almost live off from just Milk & Honey', and so on.
So basically, he's not demonizing Calcium but only Calcium Sources that are from: Supplements, Hard Water, etc.

He's also not against Vitamin-D, he's just against taking it in a supplemental form.

Though I've already heard the Ray Peat podcast episode about Vitamin-D and it's mechanistic actions (which is very informative), but factoring in my experience with supplementing Vitamin-D; I'm still not sure whether it's something that I would be taking for a long time -- in context maybe.

Now I'm not defending Matt Blackburn, but he just make sense (quite a lot in an intuitive sense); even though he comes across some what of a heretic and a shill to his supplements.

'Cause sometimes you can be so 'gung ho' about things, especially when there's studies behind -- but if your personal experience comes into play at the same time you're mentally flexible to shift from what you think is better (at the moment), I think it will save you from further unwanted outcomes.

===

In regards to supplementing Vitamin-D and also Vitamin-K (which Matt Blackburn is taking high doses off, as he mentions in the podcast) are still 'Grey Area' supplements for me.

With Vitamin-D:

- I use D3 (Thorne) topically, on my Navel
- And with just 2 drops I could feel it's benefits right after (better: mood, libido, etc)
- But I'm a bit skeptical of using it on and on -- 'cause why do I get a bit tired the day after not using it
- Also note that Milk is my official beverage, so I'm pretty sure I'm not lagging on my Calcium intake

With Vitamin-K:

- I use: K2 MK-4 (Thorne), K-Complex (Thorne), K2 MK-7 *liquid drops (Carlson)
- And I get Arrhythmias from all of them
- The sooner I experience that are from supplementing MK-4 (diluting it lessens the adverse effects)
- With MK-7 it'll take a few days of consecutive supplementation before I experience it (or if I'm taking higher doses)
- Asides from Arrhythmias I lose hair way faster regardless of MK-4 or MK-7
- And as soon as I stop taking K2 my hair loss issue goes away
- And don't know if I'm 'detoxing' from all the Calcification going on inside my body when taking K2 supplements
- Or supplementing K2 is a double-edge sword or something else

===

I would be interested though to hear from @Amazoniac about this topic, 'cause he's also a wealth of knowledge but most of the times I also can't understand (right away) what he's saying.
The loss of hair in regards to K2 is utterly bizarre... I would look elsewhere for reasons this is happening... And RE the Arrhythmias - the only thing that comes to mind is that it supposedly thins the blood, so may be related

Comstock

I'm interested in learning how to avoid hard water. Right now, I drink bottled mineral water. What do people usually do to drink soft water without fluoride and not in plastic bottles?

fr@

The loss of hair in regards to K2 is utterly bizarre... I would look elsewhere for reasons this is happening... And RE the Arrhythmias - the only thing that comes to mind is that it supposedly thins the blood, so may be related

Yeah, it's strange -- though I'm a bit relieved that I'm not the only one getting that experience (in regards to Arrhythmias), 'cause I've seen a video from Chris Masterjohn about people complaining (or just noticing) Heart Palpitations when supplementing K2.

And what I could only conclude from that video "Heart palpitations as a result of vitamin K2 supplementation" is maybe it's a lack of Dietary Calcium in contrast to the amounts of K2 being supplemented?

As with the Hair Loss, since you mentioned Blood Thinning; I'm actually supplementing Vitamin-E & Aspirin on a daily, so adding K2 probably increases it way more?

[Note that I'm supplementing K2 away from Vitamin-E.]

But as of the moment I'm not experiencing any noticeable Hair Loss and Arrhythmia anymore, 'cause I've lowered the dose of my K2 supplementation:

- MK-7 1 drop (25 mcg) under the tongue
- MK-4 *diluted w/ MCT Oil (topically around the genitals)

In regards to K2 supplementation, Hans Amato has a great Podcast Episode w/ Georgi Dinkov about it -- I think it's the Part 2 (you can see it on YouTube); that K2 supplementation dissipates faster when applied on areas that doesn't have much fat (ie. The Scrotum) and stays longer applied around the Abdomen or on the Fatty Areas.

Though I'm not yet clear about the difference of putting it on the Navel vs. around the Abdomen; maybe I'm butchering it, but from what I could remember, if you want the Systemic Effect you can put it on the Navel, and if you want to increase your K2 Storage apply it on the Fatty Areas (like the Abdomen).

I'm interested in learning how to avoid hard water. Right now, I drink bottled mineral water. What do people usually do to drink soft water without fluoride and not in plastic bottles?

Matt Blackburn has a Podcast Episode about it (I just couldn't remember), but he uses something like Pristine Hydro (which I don't have any budget for as of yet; at the same time I'm just living in somebody else's space).

At the moment, I just buy liters of Distilled Water in Plastic Bottles -- which I also use for cooking; but if I'm out, I just use what I could use.

Comstock

Matt Blackburn has a Podcast Episode about it (I just couldn't remember), but he uses something like Pristine Hydro (which I don't have any budget for as of yet; at the same time I'm just living in somebody else's space).

At the moment, I just buy liters of Distilled Water in Plastic Bottles -- which I also use for cooking; but if I'm out, I just use what I could use.
Thank you, will check these out

Jon2547

He's goofy. I never take him seriously and don't go to his youtube channel or give him publicity in any way, shape or form.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals