Carbon Monoxide, Anti -nitric Oxide Effect

dookie

In his latest interview with Danny Roddy, Peat mentioned that carbon monoxide has some anti nitric oxide effects, and since Peat considers nitric oxide one of the worst stress mediators, he said he considered carbon monoxide "less bad" than nitric oxide.

Obviously he didn't say that carbon monoxide is healthy, but if it has some effects against the worst mediators - nitric oxide - then maybe there are some benefits, or at least it's not as damaging as originally thought? Particularly I'm thinking of activities like smoking, which despite containing carbon monoxide, seems to have a net beneficial effect (I found smoking seems to increase metabolism)

What are your thoughts on carbon monoxide? Can the small amount of carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke be disregarded?
Could carbon monoxide even be used therapeutically, to lower nitric oxide?

OP
D

dookie

Giraffe can you please UN-merge my post on carbon monoxide with this main thread on smoking? I'm asking about different things

Giraffe

Giraffe can you please UN-merge my post on carbon monoxide with this main thread on smoking? I'm asking about different things
Dookie, I separated the thread, but actually I don't believe that it makes sense to have two threads...

Particularly I'm thinking of activities like smoking, which despite containing carbon monoxide, seems to have a net beneficial effect (I found smoking seems to increase metabolism)
... particularly since you mentioned smoking here. :)

michael94

What are your thoughts on carbon monoxide? Can the small amount of carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke be disregarded?
Could carbon monoxide even be used therapeutically, to lower nitric oxide?

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2015.00017/full

We speculate that CO alters oxygen sensing and exerts a “pseudo-hypoxic” state, providing a powerful cellular impact toward re-generation and increasing the cellular energy supply that leads to improved survival in the presence of cell stress and injury.

One of the primary sites in the body where CO is believed to be most toxic is the brain and this is based on weak studies with lack of rigor and proper controls. CO is clearly neuroprotective in various neuronal injury models (Vieira et al., 2008; Zeynalov and Dore, 2009; Wang et al., 2011; Yabluchanskiy et al., 2012; Schallner et al., 2013) and extensive safety trials in humans have been completed without a single sign of toxicity at carboxyhemoglobin levels of 12–15% (Mayr et al., 2005; Bathoorn et al., 2007).

tara

Dookie, regarding your questions about carbon monoxide check Ray Peat's interview Carbon Monoxide - KMUD, 2013-01-18.

Burtlancast and I are currently transcribing this interview.
Thanks, I'll be interested to read it.

Not having listened to it, my understanding was that carbon monoxide binds to haemoglobin in the place that would otherwise carry oxygen, and thereby blocks oxygen transport. And it sticks around for a while - it doesn't all just disappear out of your blood immediately as soon as you breath clean air again.

A lot of Peat's (and Buteyko's) methods are about improving oxygen delivery, because in the presence of adequate oxygen you've got a better chance at keeping efficient oxidative metabolism going. That's one of the benefits of good CO2 levels. Inadequate oxygen (hypoxia) contributes to various problems, including glycolysis at the more benign end, but also death at the other end of the scale.

Whether there is some hormetic advantage in an occasional limited window of minor CO exposure, or whether there are different things going on in the case of neuronal injury that allow it to play a useful role, I don't know.
In general, I would expect we'd be best to minimise exposure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals