New Soundbite- Jack Kruse on Ray Peat

Texon

Just listened to his interview with Naudi Aguilar of Functional Patterns
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-R1e64Jtk

It is nice to learn about the importance of light and the role it plays in our health, but I instantly from deep within me felt him to be drastically wrong about not focusing on the quality of nutrition. He talks about how our Mitochondria is like the engines of our vehicles and we should be focusing on making sure the engine is in tip top shape (metabolism), which like, yes I agree with. But not focusing on quality of fuel is going to limit the performance out of our vehicles. If you put 87 octane into a 93 octane engine, you are not going to get the same efficiency and power output, and the same is going to happen in our bodies if we gorge on seed oils. I mean, does he seriously expect that a human can thrive off of consuming a pure seed oil diet, so long as they are in sunlight all day long? The extreme hypothetical immediately points out the flaw in his reasoning, and if he concedes that no, you need at the least a well-rounded diet, then he immediately concedes that the type of fuel matters to at least a basic extent. However, in this video, he was implying here that the food does not matter, all that matters is the metabolism.

This guy is a narcissistic idiot. If you can find a current picture of him his skin looks absolutely terrible. It's not worth paying him any attention IMO.

Texon

This guy is a narcissistic idiot. If you can find a current picture of him his skin looks absolutely terrible. It's not worth paying him any attention IMO.
Idiot was a poor choice of words. But as I recall he made some really petty comments about Dr. Peat another place in this forum.

lilsticky

its likely you should avoid the sun during searing hot weather and take shade. that guy clearly doesn't

Runenight201

I don't like to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I have personally felt the benefits of getting more sunlight and in general being outside way more, which is what he strongly emphasizes and recommends. He also talks about mitochondrial health and it's importance in our health and I agree with that as well. I believe he is being myopic when he says that sunlight is THE most important factor, but it certainly is critical.

I wish I had a better understanding of the science behind optimal sunlight dosing strategies, as there are a lot of variables at play. Sunlight intensities can vary based on geographical location on the earth relative to it's position to the sun, time of day, and cloud coverage. Then there's your body's own ability to have a positive response to the sunlight and produce positive hormones and neurotransmitters from it. Sunburning is bad and damaging, but if the opposite extreme is to avoid all sunlight than that is also bad and damaging. Where is the optimal response? How can we bio hack our physiology/environment to maximize the benefits and neuter the damage from the sun?

Texon

I don't like to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I have personally felt the benefits of getting more sunlight and in general being outside way more, which is what he strongly emphasizes and recommends. He also talks about mitochondrial health and it's importance in our health and I agree with that as well. I believe he is being myopic when he says that sunlight is THE most important factor, but it certainly is critical.

I wish I had a better understanding of the science behind optimal sunlight dosing strategies, as there are a lot of variables at play. Sunlight intensities can vary based on geographical location on the earth relative to it's position to the sun, time of day, and cloud coverage. Then there's your body's own ability to have a positive response to the sunlight and produce positive hormones and neurotransmitters from it. Sunburning is bad and damaging, but if the opposite extreme is to avoid all sunlight than that is also bad and damaging. Where is the optimal response? How can we bio hack our physiology/environment to maximize the benefits and neuter the damage from the sun?

I know I corrected my tone a bit in a later post. To me he just comes off as arrogant and dismissive of opinions like yours and Dr Peat.

Pete Rey

Good ideas are a dime a dozen. All this quantum this, exclusion zone that. There is little value in having directionally accurate conclusions if the reasoning is so highly theoretical and convoluted that it couldn't possibly be tested. "Baffle them with bull****" as they say.

Personally I don't care how intelligent someone is, or how novel their ideas are. (And make no mistake, Kruse is extremely high IQ.) If they are of poor character this cannot help but be reflected in their thought processes. And his comment on Ray's passing is just a little slip of his true character. He truly is an endless fountain of vitriol.

Several years ago I stumbled my way into access to recordings of his private calls, and I was appalled at how he absolutely berated his patrons. And these poor people paying to talk to him every month lapped it up submissively like masochists. In his mind it is "tough love" because he really wants them to get better, but I really struggle to see how that kind of behavior is helpful at all.

I would caution to separate the man from the ideas at your own risk. There is no shortage of health gurus out there saying good things without the extreme amounts of baggage.

Texon

Good ideas are a dime a dozen. All this quantum this, exclusion zone that. There is little value in having directionally accurate conclusions if the reasoning is so highly theoretical and convoluted that it couldn't possibly be tested. "Baffle them with bull****" as they say.

Personally I don't care how intelligent someone is, or how novel their ideas are. (And make no mistake, Kruse is extremely high IQ.) If they are of poor character this cannot help but be reflected in their thought processes. And his comment on Ray's passing is just a little slip of his true character. He truly is an endless fountain of vitriol.

Several years ago I stumbled my way into access to recordings of his private calls, and I was appalled at how he absolutely berated his patrons. And these poor people paying to talk to him every month lapped it up submissively like masochists. In his mind it is "tough love" because he really wants them to get better, but I really struggle to see how that kind of behavior is helpful at all.

I would caution to separate the man from the ideas at your own risk. There is no shortage of health gurus out there saying good things without the extreme amounts of baggage.
Well Done Reaction GIF

Runenight201

A wise mind must be able to separate the wheat from the chaff if it wants to eat.

I definitely agree with the testing of methodologies. There is no value gained in believing, discussing, or acting upon untestable ideas.

That being said, the mechanisms by which sunlight produces vitamin D and its resultant effects of health are testable. Observational evidence hints at people being outside more living longer and with less disease, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/joim.12496, but mechanistic studies also show non-responders to sun exposure and Vitamin D status, Low Vitamin D Status despite Abundant Sun Exposure.

Other interventional studies do show increase in Vitamin D status in relation to sun exposure, Sun exposure as a strategy for acquiring vitamin D in... : Indian Journal of Medical Research.

Since low Vitamin D status increases risk of premature death, https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M21-3324, we want to understand exactly what are the mechanisms to get the body to produce Vitamin D from sun exposure and replicate it so that we can be healthy.

This is where I hypothesize that it is our diet that influences are body's ability to optimize Vitamin D production. A poor quality diet will impair the body's ability to produce Vitamin D from sun exposure. Proving this is beyond my intellectual and energetic means right now, but I recognize that in order to be believed I have to show mechanistically why this is the case. However, today I will be lazy and go eat some good food and sun bathe so that I can regenerate cognitive functioning to be intellectually sharper.

This is why I say there is some value in what he says, but he's missing the whole picture. Sunlight's important, Diet is important, Sleep is important, Lifestyle is important, environment is important. They all play a role, and someone who understands the whole picture will use the appropriate language to convey these ideas.

Pete Rey

A wise mind must be able to separate the wheat from the chaff if it wants to eat.

I definitely agree with the testing of methodologies. There is no value gained in believing, discussing, or acting upon untestable ideas.

That being said, the mechanisms by which sunlight produces vitamin D and its resultant effects of health are testable. Observational evidence hints at people being outside more living longer and with less disease, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/joim.12496, but mechanistic studies also show non-responders to sun exposure and Vitamin D status, Low Vitamin D Status despite Abundant Sun Exposure.

Other interventional studies do show increase in Vitamin D status in relation to sun exposure, Sun exposure as a strategy for acquiring vitamin D in... : Indian Journal of Medical Research.

Since low Vitamin D status increases risk of premature death, https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M21-3324, we want to understand exactly what are the mechanisms to get the body to produce Vitamin D from sun exposure and replicate it so that we can be healthy.

This is where I hypothesize that it is our diet that influences are body's ability to optimize Vitamin D production. A poor quality diet will impair the body's ability to produce Vitamin D from sun exposure. Proving this is beyond my intellectual and energetic means right now, but I recognize that in order to be believed I have to show mechanistically why this is the case. However, today I will be lazy and go eat some good food and sun bathe so that I can regenerate cognitive functioning to be intellectually sharper.

This is why I say there is some value in what he says, but he's missing the whole picture. Sunlight's important, Diet is important, Sleep is important, Lifestyle is important, environment is important. They all play a role, and someone who understands the whole picture will use the appropriate language to convey these ideas.
I don't have any issue with this. This is the basis of Weston Price's life work, who Kruse based a lot of his early ideas on. And he continues to build on them. For example I find his theories on melanopsin very interesting. But of what practical use is it? You said it yourself: Sunlight, diet, sleep, lifestyle, environment. Get these right and the technical details don't matter. These are the ultimate conclusions of every health guru because they are just plain common sense. No need to layer a toxic cult of personality on top of it. So yes, I agree -- let's separate wheat (Price) from chaff (Kruse).

Texon

I don't have any issue with this. This is the basis of Weston Price's life work, who Kruse based a lot of his early ideas on. And he continues to build on them. For example I find his theories on melanopsin very interesting. But of what practical use is it? You said it yourself: Sunlight, diet, sleep, lifestyle, environment. Get these right and the technical details don't matter. These are the ultimate conclusions of every health guru because they are just plain common sense. No need to layer a toxic cult of personality on top of it. So yes, I agree -- let's separate wheat (Price) from chaff (Kruse).
Also let's remember to consider the outliers/confounders such as Dr. Emmanuel Revici MD in NYC whose practice consisted of curing cancer until he finally died at age 101 (see the book The Doctor Who Cured Cncer by Kelly Eidem). As far as I know he had no remarkable sun exposure or diet. In fact his grand niece told me personally that he was a junk food junkie but also that he was completely impervious to stress.

Runenight201

Also let's remember to consider the outliers/confounders such as Dr. Emmanuel Revici MD in NYC whose practice consisted of curing cancer until he finally died at age 101 (see the book The Doctor Who Cured Cncer by Kelly Eidem). As far as I know he had no remarkable sun exposure or diet. In fact his grand niece told me personally that he was a junk food junkie but also that he was completely impervious to stress.

What do you say about this?

Everywhere I look it’s articles saying his methods were ineffective

Pete Rey

Max Gerson had a similar opinion. I think it is probably sensible that different standards should be applied to people simply looking to maintain health versus those attempting to recover from a terminal diagnosis. It would seem that at some point in the disease process the risks begin to outweigh the benefits. Charlotte Gerson wrote this in the Gerson Therapy companion workbook:

1702735567303.png

I can only imagine how aghast they would have been at Jack Kruse's instagram picture!

Runenight201

I really don't know but what I do know is that my wife was cured of breast cancer about 12 years ago by his protocols.

That is wonderful to hear. Unfortunately Google only led me to links denouncing him and I couldn’t find any substantive information on what his therapies actually were. Is there a link I can follow?

Texon

That is wonderful to hear. Unfortunately Google only led me to links denouncing him and I couldn’t find any substantive information on what his therapies actually were. Is there a link I can follow?
The resource I found most useful is the book The Doctor Who Cures Cancer by Kelly Eidem. In it there's a quote from a former head of Sloan Kettering whose name I can't recall that said something to the effect of, "We don't know what he's doing but people go into his clinic dead but they come out alive."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals