How To Prevent Getting Diabetic?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes, that's what I used to experience. I probably was estrogen dominant all those years. Then, after diving head first into Peatworld, and reading everything he wrote about estrogen, I stopped taking it (had been taking it since hysterectomy) and started taking progesterone, Estroban, etc. At the same time, I started eating Peaty, introducing a lot more carbohydrates into my diet. How stupid was that? Looks like it was pretty stupid.
I don't think it would suffice to say a lack of estrogen caused you to become diabetic as estrogen is greatly involved in autoimmune disease.
There could have been many other factors at play, for instance fatty liver, already insulin resistance established by a low carb high fat diet, low androgens, low thyroid, elevated cortisol, gut problems, etc.
Have you had any blood tests done before to know where you were before Peating and then where you ended up.

artemis

Have you had any blood tests done before to know where you were before Peating and then where you ended up.

No bloodwork from before. I was always very healthy, never had any reason to see any doctors other than ob/gyn. Lots of bloodwork from after, though.

Vinny

tara

So Peat is saying all these sweet things we eat are actually bad for us then ?

I would read some of RP's articles on sugar/diabetes for more information if you want to learn more (see my signature if you don't already know the link to his website).

But basically some of the top recommendations from Peat are fresh ripe fruits, juices, milk for sugars and maybe some safe-ish starches also if you can digest them like well-boiled potatoes. It's up to the individual to find which fruits/juices etc they can digest/handle though. We have seen around here that some people have intolerance to milk, some juices or fruits, for example. All of the above are pretty low in fat. There's a big debate about how much is too much fat, but you can read up on the so called "Randle Cycle" that Haidut has posted a few articles on here and make your own decision. Peat himself eats pretty low fat and PUFA nowadays, but it's true in the past he used to eat high fat (But not high PUFA).
+1

As I understand it, Peat tends to favour:
Lots carbohydrates in the form of
- sweet ripe fruits (tend to have various mixtures of free fructose and glucose)
- fruit that is not so ripe can be improved by cooking well.
- milk (lactose - but some people can be intollerant/allergic - may be able to recover tollerance)
- honey (unless allergic - people can be allergic to some honeys and not others, depending onthe flowers the bee's have been round)
- root vegetables, except that he's not that keen on starches, especially for people who have unbalanced gut microbiota. He's had a lot of good things to say about the high nutrition in potatoes,
- some refined sucrose to supplement, or fill in a bit if ripe fruit is not available. (But it is short of needed minerals, so don't overdo it)

He's also keen on make sure to get lots of minerals, eg calcium, magnesium, potassium, and enough of all the other necessary ones. Eating lots of fruits and veges and milk can help with this. Eating lots of highly refined carbs can easily get it out of balance if one isn't also eating some other foods that have lots of minerals.

Peat is not so keen on:
- beans and pulses
- whole grains (unless it's your only food or source of minerals and vitamins)
- wheat
- unripe fruit
- foods containing polyunsaturated fats (you can usually read this on processed food packaging)
- foods containing carrageenan and other gums (listed as numbers you have to decode on food packaging)
- estrogenic foods. Soyabeans may have some estrogenic

Fats in some proportion, probably varies per person, depending on personal needs. Possibly up to a third or so of calories for some people, less for others.
Saturated fats, eg coconut oil, cocoa butter, milk fat,
A little olive oil - the odd teaspoon, but not cupfuls.
Avoid: polyunsaturated oils, eg seed oils
You can read chocolate ingredients to see what's in them. Chocolate made with cocoa solids and sugar and maybe milk maybe fine in moderate quantities for many people (if you don't have a personal intollerance)

He favours eating enough protein to keep the liver supplied, with balanced aminos acids - including the collagen (gelatin), not just muscle meats if eating meat. Favours milk and cheese. And some eggs, but watch the PUFA if eating lots. At least 80 - 100 g protein for people with low metabolisms. Probably more if stronger.

But a major component of his ideas is to pay attention to your own body and health, and learn about physiology, and see what effects things have on you.

That's my take on Peat's ideas.
But you get figure out what works for you.
It sees as though people have different ways of eating that suit them better - some do well with lots of sugar, some don't.
Personally, I've experimented with eating more sugars and little starch, and it didn't seem to suit me. I seem to do better in terms of maintaining steady energy if I eat regular meals containing some starch (often either potatoes or rice) as well as lots of veges. I eat some fruit too, but It doesn't seem to serve me well to eat a lot of 'sweets' and cakes etc.

An extended period of low carb may make it harder for some people to readapt to eating more carbs again later.

I don't know exactly why this happened - there are various possibilities - but it's good that the various stories get told, so others can have a wider view. No guaranteed outcomes:
But I developed Type 1 diabetes after only a few months on the Peat diet. I was 52 years old, and never had diabetes before. I had no family history of diabetes at all.

Last edited:

Waynish

Just don't damage your spleen and pancreas. Enough b-vitamins and stomach acid and smaller meals and less worry... Find a good TCM.

OP
M

Motif

So hcl betain and ox bile help the pancreas and help to prevent diabetes ?

Jav1e

I know for a fact that sugar does not cause diabetes.

If anything it inhibits it.

PUFA causes diabetes.

You have to minimize free fatty acids (FFAs). Avoid fasting. Use plenty of sugar. And use low fat, occasionally zero fat (while taking niacinamide and/or aspirin) and vitamin E. Avoid PUFA at all costs, trying to minimize it to maybe 2g or 3g per day.

That is what fixes diabetes. Lots of sugar, low fat, zero PUFA.

Vitamin e and aspirin are aticoagulants it would be advisable to combine it with vitramina k to avoid the risk of bleeding, especially if you consume both.

YourUniverse

I think cortisol and PUFA cause diabetes. A booming social life teeming with love is at least as protective against diabetes as a 0g PUFA, reclusive one is.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

I am pre-diabetic according to bloods. Blood glucose 101 when it should be <100. Also have high cholesterol, low androgens, probably hypothyroid based on numbers.

I am worried about it becoming diabetic as it runs in my family. I’ve never been a sweets person. Eat ripe fruit and lots of sat fat and still have elevated glucose. I think high FFA is what is causing most of my issues now that I think about it.
What you wrote screams hypothyroidism to me. Thyroid hormone is responsible for converting cholesterol into steroid hormones, and when thyroid is failing, cholesterol accumulates. I think its something to investigate.

Whichway?

Yes, that's what I used to experience. I probably was estrogen dominant all those years. Then, after diving head first into Peatworld, and reading everything he wrote about estrogen, I stopped taking it (had been taking it since hysterectomy) and started taking progesterone, Estroban, etc. At the same time, I started eating Peaty, introducing a lot more carbohydrates into my diet. How stupid was that? Looks like it was pretty stupid.

So you had a hysterectomy and just stopped taking your estrogen replacement therapy and substituted progesterone? Did you do that under your doctors supervision? Both of those hormones have a major effect on insulin sensitivity and metabolic regulation.

It’s important to get your hormone levels optimized since your body can no longer do it naturally due to your hysterectomy.

artemis

So you had a hysterectomy and just stopped taking your estrogen replacement therapy and substituted progesterone? Did you do that under your doctors supervision?

Yep, that's exactly what I did. No, I didn't ask my doctor. I now pay the price for my stupidity every day. I was completely taken in by everything I had read from Peat about estrogen. Estrogen = bad, progesterone = good. Doctors = bad, messing around with supplements and hormones on your own = good. I was SOOOO PEATY! :arghh::banghead:

Zigzag

What e-hamster said, as well as taking niacinamide and/or aspirin (the latter with vitamin K for clotting). Both block FFA release, and optimize a high-carb diet
I've been using aspirin lately and have to say my weight loss progress has stopped completely. How come some users here claim it actually promotes weight loss while inhibitting FFA release?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals