How To Prevent Getting Diabetic?

Vinny

I've been using aspirin lately and have to say my weight loss progress has stopped completely. How come some users here claim it actually promotes weight loss while inhibitting FFA release?
I don,t know who claimed this, but actually i red the opposite recently, don,t remember his name now.
My short experience taking aspirin did not show any benefit for weight loss too.

ebs

I think cortisol and PUFA cause diabetes. A booming social life teeming with love is at least as protective against diabetes as a 0g PUFA, reclusive one is.

Can you provide a scientific study?

I see lots of people with booming social lives and love who still have health issues. Happy people still dying of cancer, etc. If it was only that simple.

Doesn't RP live a pretty reclusive life?

somuch4food

I had recently an aggravation of chronic pancreatitis and couldn't eat fats or much other food. So i decided that it is a good time to try more carbs. Honey seemed one of the few things that i could handle. So honey was my only source of carbs. And i ate zero fats. And so was 2,5 months. But about a week ago i realised that my blood sugar is getting worse as i've noticed blurred vision after honey :( Needles to say how much it scares me. Last two days i switched to buckwheat bread as a source of carb calories. The situation is a bit better but not perfect. I still have blurred vision , but a little later after a meal (because buckwheat has lower GI i guess).
I am just desperate and dont know what to do now.... did i ruined the rest of my health with this experiment or can i still help myself somehow.... I panic you know, because i have 1 year old baby, who need a healthy mummy (

It seems that there is a few person over here, for whom high easy digested (high GI) carbs wasn't a good idea.

As a note. I am breastfeeding now, so could not take many supps so i took only Magnesium glycinate and Brewer Yeast (without added B-vitamins and naturally they don't have a lot)

Buckwheat also has a better B vitamin and mineral profile than honey or many other starches. It's easy to get too focused on one mechanism such as GI. B vitamins and minerals are also required for proper carb metabolism as are proteins.

Being pregnant with my second, I understand your concern. I recently read A nutritional approach to a revised model for medicine. I loved it's balanced approach to improve health through better carb/energy metabolism.

Jib

I agree that when most people think of "sugar," it's almost 100% of the time tied to high PUFA as well.

FWIW, I didn't get a beer belly until working an extremely stressful manual labor job for 5 years and relying on vending machine garbage to get me through the day. I had a lot of pastries that were laden with PUFA, but for most of the day I'd be sweating my **** off profusely while working in a fasted state, getting yelled at constantly, never getting enough sleep, etc. The only other time in my life I was fat was when I was on Zyprexa as a teenager, which completely ruined me and took years of being off of it to reverse some of the damage.

Stress certainly doesn't help. My dad is convinced his anxiety disorder is what gave him diabetes. It's just his opinion but it could very well be true. If PUFA's amplify the stress response, and SFA's mitigate it, then it would make sense that having a chronic anxiety disorder on top of a poor, PUFA laden diet would be like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Personally, I feel white sugar is best kept as a very, very small part of the diet, with the vast majority of sugar coming from whole fruit and fruit juices. Ray himself has said that white sugar is largely empty of nutrients and is probably best kept as a temporary strategy. I believe it's also wise to supplement with an activated B-complex and minerals to help with sugar metabolism.

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

"Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic."

Avoiding PUFA as completely as possible is probably one of the best strategies for overall health and preventing any health condition. Any diet would be pretty self-explanatory simply following that one guideline, as it's impossible to eat a low PUFA diet without a lot of carbs. All fat, even highly saturated fats like coconut oil, do have some PUFA. The MCT oils that are completely saturated and have zero PUFA, and hydrogenated coconut oils without PUFA, may be even better, but are also void of nutrients, and I can't imagine eating a diet very high in pure oil to be very pleasurable, sustainable, or GI friendly.

Once a person has an advanced health condition like diabetes, it may be a bit trickier to deal with. I'm not convinced that lower carb diets can't be helpful; just not a permanent solution. Perhaps Aspirin, Vitamin E, DHEA and pregnenolone combined with a lot of saturated fats, and modest, tolerated amounts of sugar from whole fruit, could help turn things around to the point where a diabetic person could start digesting sugars again without having drastically elevated blood sugar levels, complete with blurred vision, etc.

I'm a fan of B-complex supplements and mineral supplements as well. And perhaps in these cases, supplements like MCT oil which are completely void of PUFA, could be especially advantageous.

My dad's been diabetic for decades and I would be very hesitant to advise binging on sugar to someone who, from a single can of soda, gets dangerously high blood sugar, and blurred vision. A more moderate and gradual approach with a lot of vitamin and mineral support, inflammation suppression, and PUFA depletion over a period of time, seems more appropriate.

My own dad will never be on board with anything other than low carb, just the way he is, and he will never do anything else. But if I was working with him, I would regularly test his blood sugar after some moderate fruit consumption to monitor progress. It would be very cool if things like PUFA depletion, Aspirin, Vitamin E, pregnenolone, DHEA, mineral and B-vitamin support would, over time, allow for more and more carb consumption without the dramatic blood sugar spikes. Once diabetes has been established I think a "long game" approach would be wisest, with lots of monitoring of blood sugar and strict dietary and lifestyle changes.

Again, though: PUFAs amplifying the stress response seems like a perfect storm with stress/anxiety. A person unhappy with their life circumstances and binging on a ton of PUFA laden pastries and other junk to cope is creating the perfect breeding ground not just for diabetes but all other diseases.

So the best prevention would be to get a time machine and never consume PUFA in the first place, from birth. Given that none of us have that luxury, avoiding PUFA as much as possible starting now, and consuming a nutrient-rich, largely fruit based diet seems the best course of action.

I'm trying to keep in mind for myself, who may be pre-diabetic, that having a lot of stored PUFA in the form of belly fat can be very problematic, and probably requires support from things like Aspirin to mitigate the effects of stored PUFA being metabolized on a daily basis, while I shift to a new diet. I believe people who have serious sugar issues probably have not given themselves enough time to deplete their PUFA stores and are lacking supplemental support to mitigate the damage that stored PUFA is causing on a daily basis.

The sugar is not the problem; the nutrient deficiencies and deranged metabolism that can't handle the sugar is the problem, and as we know, PUFA and stored PUFA likely play a huge role in that.

Vinny

I agree that when most people think of "sugar," it's almost 100% of the time tied to high PUFA as well.

FWIW, I didn't get a beer belly until working an extremely stressful manual labor job for 5 years and relying on vending machine garbage to get me through the day. I had a lot of pastries that were laden with PUFA, but for most of the day I'd be sweating my **** off profusely while working in a fasted state, getting yelled at constantly, never getting enough sleep, etc. The only other time in my life I was fat was when I was on Zyprexa as a teenager, which completely ruined me and took years of being off of it to reverse some of the damage.

Stress certainly doesn't help. My dad is convinced his anxiety disorder is what gave him diabetes. It's just his opinion but it could very well be true. If PUFA's amplify the stress response, and SFA's mitigate it, then it would make sense that having a chronic anxiety disorder on top of a poor, PUFA laden diet would be like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Personally, I feel white sugar is best kept as a very, very small part of the diet, with the vast majority of sugar coming from whole fruit and fruit juices. Ray himself has said that white sugar is largely empty of nutrients and is probably best kept as a temporary strategy. I believe it's also wise to supplement with an activated B-complex and minerals to help with sugar metabolism.

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

"Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic."

Avoiding PUFA as completely as possible is probably one of the best strategies for overall health and preventing any health condition. Any diet would be pretty self-explanatory simply following that one guideline, as it's impossible to eat a low PUFA diet without a lot of carbs. All fat, even highly saturated fats like coconut oil, do have some PUFA. The MCT oils that are completely saturated and have zero PUFA, and hydrogenated coconut oils without PUFA, may be even better, but are also void of nutrients, and I can't imagine eating a diet very high in pure oil to be very pleasurable, sustainable, or GI friendly.

Once a person has an advanced health condition like diabetes, it may be a bit trickier to deal with. I'm not convinced that lower carb diets can't be helpful; just not a permanent solution. Perhaps Aspirin, Vitamin E, DHEA and pregnenolone combined with a lot of saturated fats, and modest, tolerated amounts of sugar from whole fruit, could help turn things around to the point where a diabetic person could start digesting sugars again without having drastically elevated blood sugar levels, complete with blurred vision, etc.

I'm a fan of B-complex supplements and mineral supplements as well. And perhaps in these cases, supplements like MCT oil which are completely void of PUFA, could be especially advantageous.

My dad's been diabetic for decades and I would be very hesitant to advise binging on sugar to someone who, from a single can of soda, gets dangerously high blood sugar, and blurred vision. A more moderate and gradual approach with a lot of vitamin and mineral support, inflammation suppression, and PUFA depletion over a period of time, seems more appropriate.

My own dad will never be on board with anything other than low carb, just the way he is, and he will never do anything else. But if I was working with him, I would regularly test his blood sugar after some moderate fruit consumption to monitor progress. It would be very cool if things like PUFA depletion, Aspirin, Vitamin E, pregnenolone, DHEA, mineral and B-vitamin support would, over time, allow for more and more carb consumption without the dramatic blood sugar spikes. Once diabetes has been established I think a "long game" approach would be wisest, with lots of monitoring of blood sugar and strict dietary and lifestyle changes.

Again, though: PUFAs amplifying the stress response seems like a perfect storm with stress/anxiety. A person unhappy with their life circumstances and binging on a ton of PUFA laden pastries and other junk to cope is creating the perfect breeding ground not just for diabetes but all other diseases.

So the best prevention would be to get a time machine and never consume PUFA in the first place, from birth. Given that none of us have that luxury, avoiding PUFA as much as possible starting now, and consuming a nutrient-rich, largely fruit based diet seems the best course of action.

I'm trying to keep in mind for myself, who may be pre-diabetic, that having a lot of stored PUFA in the form of belly fat can be very problematic, and probably requires support from things like Aspirin to mitigate the effects of stored PUFA being metabolized on a daily basis, while I shift to a new diet. I believe people who have serious sugar issues probably have not given themselves enough time to deplete their PUFA stores and are lacking supplemental support to mitigate the damage that stored PUFA is causing on a daily basis.

The sugar is not the problem; the nutrient deficiencies and deranged metabolism that can't handle the sugar is the problem, and as we know, PUFA and stored PUFA likely play a huge role in that.
Can not be said better! :handok:

YourUniverse

Can you provide a scientific study?

I see lots of people with booming social lives and love who still have health issues. Happy people still dying of cancer, etc. If it was only that simple.

Doesn't RP live a pretty reclusive life?
Ray was quoted saying he spends his days "talking to people". My picture of him is that of a fairly social, gregarious person, albeit private, person

Cirion

Just my 2c and personal experience but when I was my most social I was also the most unhealthy (due to poor diet excessive exercise etc...) but I regained my health a couple times while being completely antisocial. On top of that, I regained my health while single and lost it in a relationship. All of these made me realize, it's not only possible, but even arguably ideal to find yourself when pretty much alone. The most important person in your life should be you, and not others, anyway. I absolutely am not advocating for some complete solitary confinement situation, although I dunno, to be honest that sounds kind of nice (maybe I'm crazy LOL) as long as said solitary confinement is somewhere really nice like a warm beach and I had access to the best quality of foods etc and had no job to worry about etc...

This is why I no longer hold stock in the opinion that a social life can cure hypo, but that a diet absolutely can. I DO think a great circle of friends can be of assistance, but it's not a gamechanger. That said, negative people absolutely can crush your spirit very quickly much like a PUFA laden diet will.

My view of social life though does hold similarities to that of nutrition. And that is - often times nutrition is the avoidance of bad foods (pufa, tryptophan, excessive liquids, processed foods etc) that ultimately gives you the most health gains, rather than stressing getting enough of X or Y micronutrient. Same with relationships. I think a bad relationship (the "PUFA" of social lives) hurt you more than good relationships help you. Thus if you DO have a social life, it's absolutely critical that you avoid toxic people and especially toxic significant others, and as much as you can (not always possible...), toxic family members also.

All that said, if you already have some great friends, I would absolutely recommend hanging out with them if you have the energy for it. I think the problem is, with hypothyroid you have no energy so the energy spent socializing is a net negative, even with positive people, especially if it involves things like staying up all night drinking alcohol and messing up your sleep. For me, socializing is a major energy drain and often a stressor, even with people I like, because it frequently involves fasting (lack of easily available food) or if there is food, usually suboptimal PUFA laden food, and often involves like I say staying up way too late, and frequently entails alcohol as well. When I'm healthy I do have energy for a lot of things but absolutely not in a hypothyroid state and it ends up wrecking me more than helping.

I think the danger is saying that "healthy people socialize and have hobbies and exercise therefore to be healthy you need to socialize and have hobbies and make sure to exercise", that's a fallacy IMO. But I know a lot of people here disagree with me about the whole socializing things. That's fine. This has just been my experience, so that's just my 2c.

lampofred

Ray was quoted saying he spends his days "talking to people". My picture of him is that of a fairly social, gregarious person, albeit private, person

He recently said his days are spent on "a lot of reading, a little bit of writing, and a few hours of painting." Sounds pretty reclusive to me. I actually think he might be a bit autistic. That would explain a lot things--the extreme brilliance combined with extreme honesty, the overly trusting, his mildly over-terse nature (really mildly so but the awkwardness is definitely present imo).

YourUniverse

Just my 2c and personal experience but when I was my most social I was also the most unhealthy (due to poor diet excessive exercise etc...) but I regained my health a couple times while being completely antisocial. On top of that, I regained my health while single and lost it in a relationship. All of these made me realize, it's not only possible, but even arguably ideal to find yourself when pretty much alone. The most important person in your life should be you, and not others, anyway. I absolutely am not advocating for some complete solitary confinement situation, although I dunno, to be honest that sounds kind of nice (maybe I'm crazy LOL) as long as said solitary confinement is somewhere really nice like a warm beach and I had access to the best quality of foods etc and had no job to worry about etc...

This is why I no longer hold stock in the opinion that a social life can cure hypo, but that a diet absolutely can. I DO think a great circle of friends can be of assistance, but it's not a gamechanger. That said, negative people absolutely can crush your spirit very quickly much like a PUFA laden diet will.

My view of social life though does hold similarities to that of nutrition. And that is - often times nutrition is the avoidance of bad foods (pufa, tryptophan, excessive liquids, processed foods etc) that ultimately gives you the most health gains, rather than stressing getting enough of X or Y micronutrient. Same with relationships. I think a bad relationship (the "PUFA" of social lives) hurt you more than good relationships help you. Thus if you DO have a social life, it's absolutely critical that you avoid toxic people and especially toxic significant others, and as much as you can (not always possible...), toxic family members also.

All that said, if you already have some great friends, I would absolutely recommend hanging out with them if you have the energy for it. I think the problem is, with hypothyroid you have no energy so the energy spent socializing is a net negative, even with positive people, especially if it involves things like staying up all night drinking alcohol and messing up your sleep. For me, socializing is a major energy drain and often a stressor, even with people I like, because it frequently involves fasting (lack of easily available food) or if there is food, usually suboptimal PUFA laden food, and often involves like I say staying up way too late, and frequently entails alcohol as well. When I'm healthy I do have energy for a lot of things but absolutely not in a hypothyroid state and it ends up wrecking me more than helping.

I think the danger is saying that "healthy people socialize and have hobbies and exercise therefore to be healthy you need to socialize and have hobbies and make sure to exercise", that's a fallacy IMO. But I know a lot of people here disagree with me about the whole socializing things. That's fine. This has just been my experience, so that's just my 2c.

Thats fair. I think strong personal boundaries, which are really only found in a centred person, can translate social experience into healing, and I think strong thyroid/health is a big part of having the energy needed to maintain those boundaries, so I don't necessarily disagree with you. I spent a lot of time alone initially.

He recently said his days are spent on "a lot of reading, a little bit of writing, and a few hours of painting." Sounds pretty reclusive to me. I actually think he might be a bit autistic. That would explain a lot things--the extreme brilliance combined with extreme honesty, the overly trusting, his mildly over-terse nature (really mildly so but the awkwardness is definitely present imo).

Maybe the quote I heard via interview was less recent. I think he said he was spending some time in Mexico, and when asked how he spends his days, he responded with my quote. He also spends a good deal of his days responding to emails from people like us, asking about dosages of this and that, help with conditions, etc.

Last edited:

Momado965

Check out Ivor cummins on Utube. He has a whole new take on what is causing diabetes and it isn't fats, but sugar and Carbs.

I have his book and it is really interesting reading. Just started it.

Basically refined carbs like white bread or pasta or rice is a bit like eating pure sugar. Long term high insulin levels are the cause of heart disease and diabetes.

We need to move to a low carb diet, higher protein and much higher healthy full fats. Fruit and fructose are also not so good for us.

It's tough to get the head around it all, but the demonisation of fats since the 70's has meant we all eat a much higher carb diet and so the metabolic illnesses have exploded.

What has increased since the 70’s is pufa consumption. Sugar has not changed ans may have declined by just a bit since the 70’s.

CLASH

Diabetes type II, obesity, impaired glucose handling are all states characterized by higher circulatinh endotoxin levels.

PUFA worsens blood glucose handling in the long run.

I think diabetes type II is a combination of excess endotoxin and PUFA.

Diabtes type I is induced in rats by injecting bacterial toxin. I think bacterial toxins may be at play in the type I as well.

I’m currently writing an article somewhat related to this, but focused on using saturated fats to clear endotoxin. If anyone is interested I will post a link soon.

Kartoffel

I’m currently writing an article somewhat related to this, but focused on using saturated fats to clear endotoxin. If anyone is interested I will post a link soon.

Please do!

Cirion

Clash, how much protein a day do you get?

Cirion

yep, I'm well read on all that. Was just curious what you personally did though. That is pretty much the minimum I generally shoot for nowadays as well.

I thought protein was my problem but I've since determined one of my main problems is actually liquids, and not protein. I incessantly measured my weight after each meal on the weekend and it seems liquids, starches, and possibly gelatin all bloat me, but my weight remained unchanged after 1 lb of beef, interestingly enough.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals