How To Prevent Getting Diabetic?

marcar72

Check out Ivor cummins on Utube. He has a whole new take on what is causing diabetes and it isn't fats, but sugar and Carbs.

:+1 Insulin rather, driven by sugar and carbs. I've been watching some videos on Youtube with Cummins, Lustig, Bikman, Fung, and others here lately and must say that they've got some pretty compelling thoughts on all of this!! :2cents:

marcar72

His book is a big one and i have just started. Whether i can make the switch over is another matter.

It's not that hard coming from a Peat perspective at all really. Cummins himself uses a LCHF/IF lifestyle so from a Peat perspective one just uses high fat dairy (cheese, some milk), dark chocolate, eggs, maybe SOME OJ for vitamin C, some of the healthier nuts, coconut oil, maybe some fatty meats, etc., etc. LCHF = 100g/day or less of carbs which allows for more food choices than Keto or VLC would.

The only Peat caveat that one would have to maybe abandon a little would be allowing for higher PUFA in the diet. So long that the SFA/PUFA ratio is greater that 2 though then even this could still be considered "Peaty"!! Good luck and God bless!! :thumbleft

Zigzag

So I can’t post this pretty original Ivor Cummins info?

What he is saying is pretty interesting and certainly is not mainstream.

He is saying carbs are the bad stuff to eat and fats are good. Sugar is a bady as well but that shouldn’t mean I can’t post this info

Lol. How is this not mainstream? Where have you been all this time? Keto diet is in full mainstream mode at this point.

Cirion

I was actually just reading this in the other RP forums the other day. I haven't fully done the research I'd like to on ketones yet, but supposedly (Not sure what RP's stance is on this) ketones provide more CO2 than sugar. HOWEVER, making your own ketones (ketosis) is stressful to your body for reasons Peat has said many times. Perhaps this is why some people have mistakenly then said that ketosis (low carb) is better than sufficient/high carb because in full ketosis you do make ketones, but the state required to create ketones (ketosis) is NOT healthy because you're running off cortisol, adrenaline, and constantly in a glucose deficiency and burning proteins in order to make the glucose you need.

But if you ingested straight ketones while in a high carbohydrate intake (ie, not ketosis), that could change the game slightly. An example of ketones would be MCT oil or coconut oil.

Last edited:

marsaday

It's not that hard coming from a Peat perspective at all really. Cummins himself uses a LCHF/IF lifestyle so from a Peat perspective one just uses high fat dairy (cheese, some milk), dark chocolate, eggs, maybe SOME OJ for vitamin C, some of the healthier nuts, coconut oil, maybe some fatty meats, etc., etc. LCHF = 100g/day or less of carbs which allows for more food choices than Keto or VLC would.

The only Peat caveat that one would have to maybe abandon a little would be allowing for higher PUFA in the diet. So long that the SFA/PUFA ratio is greater that 2 though then even this could still be considered "Peaty"!! Good luck and God bless!! :thumbleft

Thanks for the info. Good to see someone else can see Cummin's is also approaching this from a similar angle.

I still need my carbs, just need to lower them down. Muesli is my starter for the day usually.

Its a part time job changing over the diet. Oh well better late than never.

marsaday

:+1 Insulin rather, driven by sugar and carbs. I've been watching some videos on Youtube with Cummins, Lustig, Bikman, Fung, and others here lately and must say that they've got some pretty compelling thoughts on all of this!! :2cents:

Yes correct. Its all new to me so still getting my head around it all.

brix

I am pre-diabetic according to bloods. Blood glucose 101 when it should be <100. Also have high cholesterol, low androgens, probably hypothyroid based on numbers.

I am worried about it becoming diabetic as it runs in my family. I’ve never been a sweets person. Eat ripe fruit and lots of sat fat and still have elevated glucose. I think high FFA is what is causing most of my issues now that I think about it.

artemis

i need a lot of sugar to keep my weight, but i‘m scared of getting diabetes.

I‘m not sure if ray peat is right about sugar is not causing it. What do you guys think ?

I think it depends on who you ask, and what type of diabetes you're talking about. To my understanding, Type 2 diabetes is usually caused by increasing insulin resistance, which is caused by consistently high levels of insulin being produced, which is caused by consuming a lot of carbohydrates. Type 1 is a whole different animal. The current prevailing theory is that it is caused by a combination of two factors: genetic predisposition and an environmental trigger, with a virus being the suspected trigger, although not always -- it could also be some other stressor. Supposedly they are narrowing down the genes involved, and also narrowing down the viruses involved. That's the best we've got right now. Lots of people, though, myself included, had neither genetics nor virus! (that we know of)

Of course everyone on here will deny that sugar causes diabetes. And there's lots of studies to back up that position. But I developed Type 1 diabetes after only a few months on the Peat diet. I was 52 years old, and never had diabetes before. I had no family history of diabetes at all. This diet ruined my life. I have no doubt that if I had stayed on my low-carb diet I would not have developed this disease. So there's that. I do know of one other person who also developed T1D shortly after starting this diet. But I know that we are outliers, exceptions. I don't claim to have any definitive answers, I'm just telling you what happened to me.

Obviously lots of people do well on this diet, and I'm happy for them. I just stop by once in awhile, mostly to keep up with haidut's supplements, but sometimes I look at the topics to see if there's anything that interests me. I just feel it's important to present an alternative viewpoint. It bothers me when people act like they know everything about diabetes when they only know what they've read. It's a very complex subject, especially Type 1, and it's just not as black and white as most people believe it to be.

OK, carry on, ya bunch of weirdos! :wacky::troll: :wacky: Haha, just kidding, the weirdness is why I like this bunch, and why I visit (I think?)

Whichway?

I think it depends on who you ask, and what type of diabetes you're talking about. To my understanding, Type 2 diabetes is usually caused by increasing insulin resistance, which is caused by consistently high levels of insulin being produced, which is caused by consuming a lot of carbohydrates. Type 1 is a whole different animal. The current prevailing theory is that it is caused by a combination of two factors: genetic predisposition and an environmental trigger, with a virus being the suspected trigger, although not always -- it could also be some other stressor. Supposedly they are narrowing down the genes involved, and also narrowing down the viruses involved. That's the best we've got right now. Lots of people, though, myself included, had neither genetics nor virus! (that we know of)

Of course everyone on here will deny that sugar causes diabetes. And there's lots of studies to back up that position. But I developed Type 1 diabetes after only a few months on the Peat diet. I was 52 years old, and never had diabetes before. I had no family history of diabetes at all. This diet ruined my life. I have no doubt that if I had stayed on my low-carb diet I would not have developed this disease. So there's that. I do know of one other person who also developed T1D shortly after starting this diet. But I know that we are outliers, exceptions. I don't claim to have any definitive answers, I'm just telling you what happened to me.

Obviously lots of people do well on this diet, and I'm happy for them. I just stop by once in awhile, mostly to keep up with haidut's supplements, but sometimes I look at the topics to see if there's anything that interests me. I just feel it's important to present an alternative viewpoint. It bothers me when people act like they know everything about diabetes when they only know what they've read. It's a very complex subject, especially Type 1, and it's just not as black and white as most people believe it to be.

OK, carry on, ya bunch of weirdos! :wacky::troll: :wacky: Haha, just kidding, the weirdness is why I like this bunch, and why I visit (I think?)

You developed type I or type II after Peating for a few months? If it’s type I, then I doubt very much that sugar was the cause as it is the result of auto-immune antibodies which attack the insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

Type II can be un-masked by increasing sugar intake, but is often driven by inflammation and stress hormones.

lampofred

Just a theory, but do you have any estrogen dominance, anxiety, migraine, perfectionism, things of that nature? I think a lack of inhibitory neurotransmission is related to Type I diabetes. This diet, by lowering serotonin (which is a very crude, unhealthful type of inhibitory transmission), can unmask a lifetime of high estrogen/low progesterone.

This diet suppresses fat oxidation (by lowering adrenal androgens), so if your blood sugar was at a good level previously, it might have been because you were relying on fat oxidation for your energy for most of your life and this diet unmasked the underlying sugar burning problem by finally letting your FFA go down.

Interestingly I think caffeine helps to raise inhibitory neurotransmission in the long run, even thought it obviously does the opposite in the short-run. And high-dose gelatin should also raise inhibitory transmission in a way that helps with T1D. These things, and environmental enrichment, all help to raise cholesterol, and I think anything that helps to raise cholesterol will also help T1D.

Last edited:

artemis

You developed type I or type II after Peating for a few months?

Type 1. It was confirmed with bloodwork, I tested positive for GAD antibodies.

Just a theory, but do you have any estrogen dominance, anxiety, migraine, perfectionism, things of that nature?

Dunno about estrogen dominance...I'm a female, so....? No issues with anxiety...I've only had a handful of really severe migraines in my life, maybe only 4 or 5 times when I was incapacitated, but a lot of normal, run-of-the-mill headaches....as for perfectionism, I suppose I can tend to be that way sometimes.

if your blood sugar was at a good level previously, it might have been because you were relying on fat oxidation for your energy for most of your life and this diet unmasked the underlying sugar burning problem by finally letting your FFA go down.

I never checked my blood sugar previously, but I did suffer with reactive hypoglycemia my whole life. Would always get extremely shaky and sweaty, and feel like I was going to die, about an hour and a half after eating sugar. So my ability to handle sugar was always ***t. I have a theory that I over-produced insulin (or maybe under-produced glucagon?) my whole life, and then after switching to this diet, my pancreas just couldn't keep up. I used up all my beta cells. Simplistic and silly, maybe, but it's just a feeling I have. Maybe I was relying on fat oxidation my whole life, but I was doing fine, as long as I ate fairly low carb. I'd take that back in a heartbeat -- I didn't have to inject myself with insulin several times a day like I do now!

Interestingly I think caffeine helps to raise inhibitory neurotransmission in the long run, even thought it obviously does the opposite in the short-run. And high-dose gelatin should also raise inhibitory transmission in a way that helps with T1D. These things, and environmental enrichment, all help to raise cholesterol, and I think anything that helps to raise cholesterol will also help T1D.

I have always been a big coffee drinker. I did try gelatin for awhile when I started Peating, but I got turned off to it when I started having bad reactions to the green can one. My cholesterol has always been on the high side, but it shot up to 360 when Peating. Now it's around 250, but LDL is real high. Of course my doctor wants me on a statin but I have refused.

So many pieces to this puzzle! My case is so unusual, even my doctors have no explanation for what happened. I couldn't accept it for the longest time. But all that happened in 2015, it's been 4 years now, at some point I just have to accept it and move on, you know? I appreciate you taking the time to think about it...I'm still trying to figure it all out myself!

OP
M

Motif

My progesterone / estradiol / T were always fine in blood.
But saliva tests were a mess, but no idea if they are reliable.

Perfectionism, lack of concentration, getting aggressive easily, procrastination were always my biggest issues.

But I‘m doing fine on sugar and always did.

Consuming fat gives me sweating / hot flashes I think.
This is much better when I take large doses of ox bile.

Can digestive encymes/ ox bile / hcl betaine prevent diabetes by supporting the pancrea?

Last edited:

LLight

HOWEVER, making your own ketones (ketosis) is stressful to your body for reasons Peat has said many times. Perhaps this is why some people have mistakenly then said that ketosis (low carb) is better than sufficient/high carb because in full ketosis you do make ketones, but the state required to create ketones (ketosis) is NOT healthy because you're running off cortisol, adrenaline, and constantly in a glucose deficiency and burning proteins in order to make the glucose you need.

As already stated before in the other thread about low carb and cortisol, his reasoning is based on the metabolism of glucose during a high carbohydrate diet which is not the same as during a low carb diet. During a low carb diet, proteins do not spike insulin as much, and the body is in a physiological insulin resistance state, so a spike of insulin should have less effect on blood glucose level.
Do not forget that ketones are glucose sparing, which means that during ketosis, provided enough ketones, you can be in hypoglycemia territory without having any symptoms because your body is not relying just on glucose.

Last edited:

Pompadour

I had recently an aggravation of chronic pancreatitis and couldn't eat fats or much other food. So i decided that it is a good time to try more carbs. Honey seemed one of the few things that i could handle. So honey was my only source of carbs. And i ate zero fats. And so was 2,5 months. But about a week ago i realised that my blood sugar is getting worse as i've noticed blurred vision after honey :( Needles to say how much it scares me. Last two days i switched to buckwheat bread as a source of carb calories. The situation is a bit better but not perfect. I still have blurred vision , but a little later after a meal (because buckwheat has lower GI i guess).
I am just desperate and dont know what to do now.... did i ruined the rest of my health with this experiment or can i still help myself somehow.... I panic you know, because i have 1 year old baby, who need a healthy mummy (

It seems that there is a few person over here, for whom high easy digested (high GI) carbs wasn't a good idea.

As a note. I am breastfeeding now, so could not take many supps so i took only Magnesium glycinate and Brewer Yeast (without added B-vitamins and naturally they don't have a lot)

Last edited:

Peatful

Relevant

Last edited:
I think type 2 diabetes happens when constant free fatty acids high in PUFAs poison the beta cells.

Sugar is protective.

People who have poor diets often have sugar AND PUFA in their diet.

If you eat a lot of sugar, and little to no PUFA, and if you work hard to prevent FFAs as much as you can, the beta cells regenerate and your insulin sensitivity improves.

@Pompadour honey is allergenic for many people. It is quite possible you are suffering effects of honey allergens and not sugar in the honey. It could also be something else. Brewers yeast is very high in estrogen...this increases ocular pressure. Progesterone helps reduce it.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Eat ripe fruit and lots of sat fat and still have elevated glucose. I think high FFA is what is causing most of my issues now that I think about it.
If elevated FFA is the cause of your problem, eating lots of fat as well might make it worse. Fat reduces the clearance of insulin by the liver which can lead to hyperinsulinemia and further insulin resistance.

Cortisol, estrogen, growth hormones, excess catecholamines causes an excess of lipolysis and elevated FFAs.

So my ability to handle sugar was always ***t. I have a theory that I over-produced insulin (or maybe under-produced glucagon?) my whole life
Classic estrogen symptom.

artemis

Estrogen increases insulin secretion and reduces glucagon secretion and this can lead to hypoglycemia. Estrogen treatment lowers blood sugar.
That's why I mentioned it because that's what you said you experience.

Yes, that's what I used to experience. I probably was estrogen dominant all those years. Then, after diving head first into Peatworld, and reading everything he wrote about estrogen, I stopped taking it (had been taking it since hysterectomy) and started taking progesterone, Estroban, etc. At the same time, I started eating Peaty, introducing a lot more carbohydrates into my diet. How stupid was that? Looks like it was pretty stupid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals