What's the best way to start someone with diabetes on a Peat inspired diet?

welshwing

I know this person who has diabetes, he says he absolutely can't eat sugar and the doctor told him nuts are okay so he eats lots. He eats mainly green vegetable salads, nuts, hamburgers/sandwiches daily (bread included) and anything low in or carb-free.

I was thinking since the first thing I noticed from reading this site was "throw away nuts and oils" because of PUFA, he should stop eating that but then what can he eat if not sugar? He says if he eats too much sugar in a day, his limbs become numb and he feels on the verge of death. He can only eat like a dozen grams of sugar daily maximum, even a cup of milk would cause side effects. He's also in his 50's and went from lifelong 20/20 vision to becoming near sighted within a few years. If my guess is correct based on RP's views, probably this happened because

1) he ate too much PUFA from vegetable oils (found in almost ALL American food) and that caused diabetes + poor eyesight

2) he continues to eat pseudo-healthy food like almond milk and nuts because the doctor said It's okay.

Do you have any idea what a diabetic like this could eat to eventually switch to a Ray Peat style diet?

Tarmander

Is he a type 1 diabetic or a type 2? As in, does he take insulin and was diagnosed when he was younger...or is he older and what would be called "insulin resistant"?

OP
W

welshwing

Tarmander said:
post 113384 Is he a type 1 diabetic or a type 2? As in, does he take insulin and was diagnosed when he was younger...or is he older and what would be called "insulin resistant"?
Is it an important detail? I really don't know enough about diabetes or him to say what type, but he says he pricks his finger daily and needs blood tests. He never had diabetes until recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

Well it is important because the context for a 17 year old who is active, taking insulin, and has life aspirations, is much different then a 65 year old who is fatigued and moves very little who has "insulin resistance."

OP
W

welshwing

Tarmander said:
post 113392 Well it is important because the context for a 17 year old who is active, taking insulin, and has life aspirations, is much different then a 65 year old who is fatigued and moves very little who has "insulin resistance."
He is in between imo, more like the 17 year old. He walks around a lot every day and doesn't act fatigued. Not obese but carrying subcutaneous fat evident by his protruding gut. To me he seems like an average 50 year old, not fatigued/elderly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

Sounds like a type 2. Here is the tricky thing about Diabetes. High fat diets in the short term will seem to help blood sugar control, especially Pufa like Fish oil. A lot of doctors recommend high fat diets, and to avoid carbs. The diabetic then tests their blood sugar and sees their blood sugar is lower and concludes that it must be working. I have talked to countless older people with Type 2 diabetes who will not be swayed away from their doc's recommendations because what they have been told seemingly works.

Eating a lot of carbs in the short term seems to NOT work. You may tell them all about the Randle cycle and the science, but when they test their blood sugar and see it rapidly rising, they think you are full of ***t. So unless they come to Ray Peat themselves, it is usually very difficult to talk about any of his ideas. What you can do is start introducing them to substances that improve glucose control so that they can see it working for them when they do have the occasional carbohydrate.

The substances I have found the most useful are:
•Vitamin B1
•Niacinamide (B3)
•Ceylon Cinnamon (probably the easiest for them to experience, have them take it with their sandwitch and it will hopefully be plain to see)

Those three are what I would start with. If you think you can go there, tell him about PUFA, and suggest saturated fat instead (can be a tough sell). If they are okay experimenting, the substances that take a little more finesse that may help are Aspirin, Caffeine, vitamin K, breathing in C02, Methylene Blue, and Vitamin B6 (B6 in the P5P form definitely lowers blood sugar, so that's another good "show me" one). There are others like Glycine, BCAAs, taurine, Ginger, Theanine, and Yucca. These all have an effect, but they may be a bit "fringey" and offer little benefit that he could see.

I have tried all these substances, and I find they are the best place to start. Good luck

tara

Peat has been known to mention hot-water extract of brewers yeast for diabetes. Apparently his own father cured himself of adult onset diabetes by practically living on brewers yeast for a while - IIRC, something like 3 weeks.

I wonder if eating sugar with protein to control the blood sugar? Maybe starting with small amounts and monitoring. I honestly have no idea.. but protein should lower the blood sugar, shouldnt it? Again, this is me just brainstorming, I really have no clue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals