How To Prevent Getting Diabetic?

tara

B vitamins and minerals are also required for proper carb metabolism as are proteins.
+1

If anyone is interested I will post a link soon.
:)

Thanks Tara for the long reply. It helps understand what I should aim for / trial.
I just looked back and realised that as a diet summary, it leaves out:
Peat seems to favour protein from dairy - milk and cheese, some people find well strained greek yogurt useful (but too much lactic acid may be negative), and some eggs, but probably not too many esp if they are grain and soy-fed, as well as shellfish including oysters (oysters are one of the richest sources of zinc), crustaceans and non-oily fish like cod, and some ruminant meat, but not overdoing the muscle meat. He's recommended a small-moderate serving of liver every week or so - it has lots of useful vitamins and minerals. There are recipes for ways people enjoy eating it.

Again, paying attention to how you personally respond to particular foods is part of wise selection. (Eg, I seem to do better ATM if I avoid dairy, even though Peat speaks favourably about it in general. I get cravings for liver if I forget it for too long, but I only want a little at a time. )

Last edited:

somuch4food

Again, paying attention to how you personally respond to particular foods is part of wise selection. (Eg, I seem to do better ATM if I avoid dairy, even though Peat speaks favourably about it in general. I get cravings for liver if I forget it for too long, but I only want a little at a time. )

Observing the dietary habits of a toddler is kinda eye opening from an intuitive eating perspective. Some days meat is awesome and on other days it's the worse thing in the world and he doesn't even want to try one bite.

I had the same experience with oysters. I started eating them on toasts with mustard for breakfast once a week. It was delicious and then, this weekend they tasted average. That tells me that my body has had enough of oysters for a little while longer.

tara

Observing the dietary habits of a toddler is kinda eye opening from an intuitive eating perspective. Some days meat is awesome and on other days it's the worse thing in the world and he doesn't even want to try one bite.

I had the same experience with oysters. I started eating them on toasts with mustard for breakfast once a week. It was delicious and then, this weekend they tasted average. That tells me that my body has had enough of oysters for a little while longer.
:)

Zigzag

Diabetes type II, obesity, impaired glucose handling are all states characterized by higher circulatinh endotoxin levels.

PUFA worsens blood glucose handling in the long run.

I think diabetes type II is a combination of excess endotoxin and PUFA.

Diabtes type I is induced in rats by injecting bacterial toxin. I think bacterial toxins may be at play in the type I as well.

I’m currently writing an article somewhat related to this, but focused on using saturated fats to clear endotoxin. If anyone is interested I will post a link soon.

The thing is, I've yet to see a research paper that states PUFAs are bad. Almost all of them say PUFAs are actually good in diabetes prevention. How come this forum is basically the only one source of that anti PUFA "movement".

Aaron

The thing is, I've yet to see a research paper that states PUFAs are bad. Almost all of them say PUFAs are actually good in diabetes prevention. How come this forum is basically the only one source of that anti PUFA "movement".

It's not. The world of human nutrition studies is just a jumbled mess. This forum is about thinking for yourself. I have seen lots and lots of evidence against pufas, and this forum merely helped clarify that.

Kelj

I had recently an aggravation of chronic pancreatitis and couldn't eat fats or much other food. So i decided that it is a good time to try more carbs. Honey seemed one of the few things that i could handle. So honey was my only source of carbs. And i ate zero fats. And so was 2,5 months. But about a week ago i realised that my blood sugar is getting worse as i've noticed blurred vision after honey :( Needles to say how much it scares me. Last two days i switched to buckwheat bread as a source of carb calories. The situation is a bit better but not perfect. I still have blurred vision , but a little later after a meal (because buckwheat has lower GI i guess).
I am just desperate and dont know what to do now.... did i ruined the rest of my health with this experiment or can i still help myself somehow.... I panic you know, because i have 1 year old baby, who need a healthy mummy (

It seems that there is a few person over here, for whom high easy digested (high GI) carbs wasn't a good idea.

As a note. I am breastfeeding now, so could not take many supps so i took only Magnesium glycinate and Brewer Yeast (without added B-vitamins and naturally they don't have a lot)
Blurred vision is a sign of low blood sugar, not high blood sugar. The metabolism increases when more carb calories are consumed, and you must increase your calorie intake to prevent your blood sugar from falling too low. Your brain is committed to keeping blood sugar high enough for metabolic functioning and tissue repair plus energy expenditure requirements. Hypoglycemia can end in coma and death

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms and causes

As hypoglycemia worsens, signs and symptoms may include:

• Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks
  • Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness

tara

Blurred vision is a sign of low blood sugar, not high blood sugar.
Maybe blurred vision can occur with hypoglycemia too, but it is a known symptom of hyperglycemia.

lampofred

I think PUFA lowers blood sugar making it appear on the surface as if diabetes has gotten better (similar to how it lowers cholesterol but it does so by poisoning your liver, not by actually improving metabolism and increasing conversion of cholesterol to hormones), but it is actually poisoning your ability to oxidize glucose in the long-run because it is toxic.

Kelj

Maybe blurred vision can occur with hypoglycemia too, but it is a known symptom of hyperglycemia.
Symptomatic Relative Hypoglycemia means the body is acting as if the blood sugar is low, even when the measure of it shows that it is normal or high. Neuroglucopenia or neuroglycopenia is when the brain senses a lack of glucose and nerves are activated to increase the amount of glucose in the blood to correct the problem. The brain decides the glucose level it needs and does not care what random number is considered normal. It decides what is low or hypoglycemia. The blurred vision will always resolve with more carbohydrate intake, until the next time the brain does not like how low the blood sugar is. Describing this symptom as a result of high blood sugar is simply a mistake arising from the notion that the metabolism is broken and not the truth of the brain controlling our blood sugar level based on the circumstance it is dealing with, always in an effort to keep the vital glucose availability high. Increased metabolism calls for increased caloric, especially carbohydrate intake.
Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Cirion

Symptomatic Relative Hypoglycemia means the body is acting as if the blood sugar is low, even when the measure of it shows that it is normal or high. Neuroglucopenia or neuroglycopenia is when the brain senses a lack of glucose and nerves are activated to increase the amount of glucose in the blood to correct the problem. The brain decides the glucose level it needs and does not care what random number is considered normal. It decides what is low or hypoglycemia. The blurred vision will always resolve with more carbohydrate intake, until the next time the brain does not like how low the blood sugar is. Describing this symptom as a result of high blood sugar is simply a mistake arising from the notion that the metabolism is broken and not the truth of the brain controlling our blood sugar level based on the circumstance it is dealing with, always in an effort to keep the vital glucose availability high. Increased metabolism calls for increased caloric, especially carbohydrate intake.
Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Kelj, I always love your posts!

I'm going to just toss this metaphorical grenade into the discussion. :cool::cool: (28 day averaged, so that it removes almost all the "noise" or "scatter")

upload_2019-6-20_12-49-0-png.13688

This is from my personal data collection. How many carbs you need is likely way more than you're eating, if you have hypoglycemia. I know I have chronically undereaten for so long that I have to make up for it now. Clearly, I'm still not eating enough because I am still 0.4F under optimal.

Oh I'll toss one more hand grenade into the discussion:

upload_2019-6-20_12-58-8-png.13689

More calories = improved metabolism. Almost a straight line direct correlation.

Kelj

Kelj, I always love your posts!

I'm going to just toss this metaphorical grenade into the discussion. :cool::cool: (28 day averaged, so that it removes almost all the "noise" or "scatter")

upload_2019-6-20_12-49-0-png.13688

This is from my personal data collection. How many carbs you need is likely way more than you're eating, if you have hypoglycemia. I know I have chronically undereaten for so long that I have to make up for it now. Clearly, I'm still not eating enough because I am still 0.4F under optimal.

Oh I'll toss one more hand grenade into the discussion:

upload_2019-6-20_12-58-8-png.13689

More calories = improved metabolism. Almost a straight line direct correlation.
This was very interesting to see. My experience has been the same. When I was extremely low carb, the first temperature I took after reading Ray Peat was 95.3....hypothermia. Eating more sugar and calories has brought it up to the area around 98.6. Keep up the good work!

ebs

Just my 2c and personal experience but when I was my most social I was also the most unhealthy (due to poor diet excessive exercise etc...) but I regained my health a couple times while being completely antisocial.

I can relate to this. I've also experienced that feeling good and healthy isn't dependable of a social life. Being an introvert doesn't necessarily have anything to do with metabolic health imo. I felt great last summer (wanting to go outside and enjoy the sun) but still didn't feel the urge to talk to strangers and make new friends.

stargazer1111

Cakes and sweets =/= sugar, and is probably why most people think sugar is unhealthy.

Taking cakes as example: are usually processed foods high in fats and PUFA's and likely many other toxic additives that aren't even "Food" like high fructose corn syrup, food coloring, carrageenan gum, and more.

Usually, the foods that are problematic that people think of as "sweets" are other things too like donuts, pastries, cookies, fast food milkshakes, and most ice creams you buy in restaurants. None of these are Peat approved sugars. All of them are high PUFA/fats and other processed ingredients.

excess processed "Desserts" - cakes, milkshakes, pastries, donuts, cookies etc absolutely will cause diabetes I don't think anyone here, or Peat, would deny this, but it's because of the fats/pufa's and processed ingredients, not the carbs/sugar.

You made the right choice refusing statins. Those things are evil.

THIS!!! So much.

I make the disclaimer to every single person I tell about my high-sugar diet that I literally only mean fruit juice, soda, milk, or table sugar when I say I eat a high-sugar diet. I do not mean cake, cookies, most candies, pastries, or anything else that most people call "sweets."

What makes most "sweets" toxic is the PUFA-laden oils and the starch to which the sugar is added.

GreekDemiGod

For me, socializing is a major energy drain and often a stressor
Are you an introvery by any chance?
Usually, it's introverts who need to balance socializing with proper recharge time.
Going clubbing or doing cold approach pickup does drain my energy a bit, and I do need quiet / recharge time after.
It is something I've built up a tolerance with.
Another option is still engaging in social interactions / events but do it with smaller groups of people. That way, you will not get energy-drained.

I think neglecting social life always leads to misery. We aren't meant to be alone.
They key to make socializing not a stressor is to engage in activities that make you feel good, appreciated, gives you a sense of purpose or belonging.

burtlancast

So I can’t post this pretty original Ivor Cummins info?

What he is saying is pretty interesting and certainly is not mainstream.

He is saying carbs are the bad stuff to eat and fats are good. Sugar is a bady as well but that shouldn’t mean I can’t post this info

He's wrong and Ray's right.

Epidemiological studies on diabetes incidence show it isn't associated to carbohydrates but to fats.

stargazer1111

He's wrong and Ray's right.

Epidemiological studies on diabetes incidence show it isn't associated to carbohydrates but to fats.

Not to mention the Randle cycle. That is clear mechanistic evidence that it is fat that causes insulin resistance, not carbohydrates.

If I eat too much fat in a meal, I get reactive hypoglycemia. Anything over about 15 grams of fat in one sitting with a meal triggers it.

It's worse if I combine fat with starch since starch is all glucose. The reactive hypo is markedly reduced if the meal's carbohydrates are only sugar. But, I still get a slight hypo if I eat too much fat.

I'm convinced this is because the fat is forcing the pancreas to overproduce insulin which drives the blood sugar down too low at about 2 hours after the meal.

The best meals for me are lower fat, moderate protein, zero starch, high sugar. My blood sugar is steady all the time with this approach.

stargazer1111

I went and had a look at Ivor Cummins on Youtube. He just sounds like all the other low-carb zealots to me.

The Randle Cycle is evidence that it is fat, not carbohydrates, that causes insulin resistance. Fats and carbohydrates compete for absorption into cells. The more fat you consume, the harder it is to get glucose into cells, which forces the pancreas to produce more insulin to get the glucose out of the blood.

I agree with him that the LDL hypothesis is flawed. There is good mechanistic evidence that oxidized LDL cholesterol is a major contributor to atherosclerosis. Oxidized LDL cholesterol binds to the TLR4 receptor of certain immune cells and platelets which triggers a series of events that accelerate plaque formation. LDL particles carry a fair amount of fatty acids inside them. I believe Dr. Fred Kummerow was correct that it is the polyunsaturated fat in the diet (from vegetable oils and fatty fish) that is the issue, not saturated fat or carbohydrates. If the LDL particles are carrying a substantial amount of polyunsaturated fat, they are much more prone to oxidation because polyunsaturated fat is so unstable in the presence of higher temperatures and oxygen (the conditions seen in your blood). The saturated and monounsaturated fats are much more stable and will protect the LDL particles from oxidation. If the LDL particles don't oxidize, they likely will not act as signals for TLR4 and the events that accelerate atherosclerosis may not occur.

Vitamin C is the other side to my current understanding of athero. Insufficient vitamin C appears to upregulate the production of lipoprotein(a). Lipoprotein(a) is an LDL particle that the body sends to the site of arterial damage as a sort of bandaid. Buildup of lipoprotein(a), especially if it contains a lot of polyunsaturated fat which makes it prone to oxidation, is at the core of the genesis of atherosclerosis. Getting sufficient vitamin C (500 mg at least) and minimizing the polyunsaturated fat in the diet seems to be the best way to attack the atherosclerotic process, at least by my current understanding of the issue.

I went and had a look at Ivor Cummins on Youtube. He just sounds like all the other low-carb zealots to me.

The Randle Cycle is evidence that it is fat, not carbohydrates, that causes insulin resistance. Fats and carbohydrates compete for absorption into cells. The more fat you consume, the harder it is to get glucose into cells, which forces the pancreas to produce more insulin to get the glucose out of the blood.

I agree with him that the LDL hypothesis is flawed. There is good mechanistic evidence that oxidized LDL cholesterol is a major contributor to atherosclerosis. Oxidized LDL cholesterol binds to the TLR4 receptor of certain immune cells and platelets which triggers a series of events that accelerate plaque formation. LDL particles carry a fair amount of fatty acids inside them. I believe Dr. Fred Kummerow was correct that it is the polyunsaturated fat in the diet (from vegetable oils and fatty fish) that is the issue, not saturated fat or carbohydrates. If the LDL particles are carrying a substantial amount of polyunsaturated fat, they are much more prone to oxidation because polyunsaturated fat is so unstable in the presence of higher temperatures and oxygen (the conditions seen in your blood). The saturated and monounsaturated fats are much more stable and will protect the LDL particles from oxidation. If the LDL particles don't oxidize, they likely will not act as signals for TLR4 and the events that accelerate atherosclerosis may not occur.

Vitamin C is the other side to my current understanding of athero. Insufficient vitamin C appears to upregulate the production of lipoprotein(a). Lipoprotein(a) is an LDL particle that the body sends to the site of arterial damage as a sort of bandaid. Buildup of lipoprotein(a), especially if it contains a lot of polyunsaturated fat which makes it prone to oxidation, is at the core of the genesis of atherosclerosis. Getting sufficient vitamin C (500 mg at least) and minimizing the polyunsaturated fat in the diet seems to be the best way to attack the atherosclerotic process, at least by my current understanding of the issue.

good thinking.
it is vitamin c itself and its role of being reaction partner to vitamin e,restoring it,and vitamin e is necessary for lipid-and-lipid-like protection of substance.vitamin e deficiency is a major defect incurred by PUFA-Oil consumption,and has to be adressed by Hi-Dose Vitamin e supplementation.low dose has tissue resistance,it seems that vitamin e enrichment is a long-time undertaking during growth,depletion by PUFA and inflammation is a slow death sentence.

schultz

There are lots of papers showing clearly that PUFA causes serious harm, especially in relation to diabetes. Keep reading

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals